• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SF40.7

What happened to the Soto 30 and where is the first boat.

Interested in the soto 30 but all links I could find have dried up. Longitude Yachts site is dead.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Performance for a 30 foot sportsyacht was fine; seemed to truck along pretty well; obviously a true lightweight sportsboat is going to be quicker downwind, but that was always going to be the case.

Didn't rate brilliantly under IRC, but again, expected as lightweight boats never rate so well under IRC in the smaller sizes - at least in TOG they might have faired better racing with us (3XShaw 650s, Phuket 8, Welbourne 25, T650) they would have then been quick upwind, but would have struggled to match the pace of the quickest boats downwind as we are lot lighter than a 30 footer and a lot quicker with more time in the boats. But even so, to be mid fleet in IRC is a fine way to start before any tuning etc.

Quite sizeable inside, and definitely a well put together machine.

Everyone that has sailed on it, told me it was a really nice boat. To hear it is parked up in the Phuket marina somewhere, and not being used at the moment is a little sad.

Thanks for the updates, any thoughts on how to contact the owner?

Looking up the marina now, but in SF, so no walking down to take a look :-).

Thanks,

Paul

Always sad to see boats end up this way. So much money and energy wasted. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I liked the look of it.

Cheers

Mojo

I see that the China Cup had a fleet of Soto 27s racing OD. Built by Corum Yachts in Taiwan and originally designed and sailed in South America.

I presume there's no connection with the Soto 30 other than sharing a design group...

Mex

everyone loves an cool high performance day boat ( expensive) but those products have a very small market and its not in Asia.

SeaCart 26 anyone?

yep parked up at the Boat Lagoon Marina, Phuket. Hasn't been in the water for near 18 months! :(

Gingerbread, Do you have any thoughts on how to contact the Owner.

Or someone at the Marina who may know.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Good Day All,

Don't want to go thread crazy so I will add updates to this thread.

First BIG thanks to steveromagnio who got me in touch with Tim the owner of Hull #1 and provided great input on

what to look/watch out for in a boat that was sitting on the hard in Thailand for over a year.

Quick recap:

Started this thread, and was able to find boat #1 (thanks to SA). While doing research on the boats construction (could it stand up to a life in SF high winds and chop) I got in touch with Javier Soto. He pointed me to East Asia Composites (EAC) the builders of Hull #1, where they informed me that Hull #2 was still sitting on the factory floor and was available for sale :-). The boat still need a keel and rudder, and some TLC. We were able to come to a deal to complete the boat and ship it to SF along with the mast from South Africa.

Paul Scholten and Greg Boller from EAC were great to deal with, very professional sent tons of pics of the build, with great documentation on how to assemble the boat.

I have to say I was nervous having never imported a boat from over seas, but these guys were great and took no short cuts in putting the boat together for us. I could not be more pleased, All the parts were labeled, with detailed docs on how to assemble the running rigging.

North sails are on the way: one set of racing sails and one set of shorthanded/cruising sails for the family (small jib and main to clear the runners).

Bottom paint going on this week or next depending on how they are going to paint the boat (hanging or on stands). If the use stands the mast will go in today.

Thanks agin to the SA crew for helping me find the boat.

All the best,

Paul

More updates as we get closer to splashing...

do they have more sitting on the factory floor?

No, we grabbed the last one, but if the boat shows well they will build more.

We plan to race the ShXt out of it, plus lots of day sailing with the cruising sails.

So we should have some detailed reports as we get up to speed (what every that will be) lots of unknowns.

Best,

Paul

Hope you have an awesome time with it! Excited to hear how it performs. It'd be pretty cool if you started something and generated enoguh interest for them to start it up again... Why did they only produce 2 boats?

Power moves! Nice job man! Can't wait to see some photos/video...

Cheers,

Murphness

If you don't mind me asking how much were the Soto 30's brand new when they were designed? Around the same as the Farr 280, J88 and C&C 30? $160k

I think around $120 + shipping, sails, etc

If you don't mind me asking how much were the Soto 30's brand new when they were designed? Around the same as the Farr 280, J88 and C&C 30? $160k

I think around $120 + shipping, sails, etc

So, right in line then.... $120k is a base boat which is around the same price as the others mentioned....

the $160k is with sails, trailer and electronics.....

I think the target price for the SOTO was right around 100 BU but obviously it turned out to not be a viable business model............

I think the target price for the SOTO was right around 100 BU but obviously it turned out to not be a viable business model............

Could be the case, hard to make a living building small boats at $120K+.

As you can guess we were not looking for one design (or it was not are #1 concern) we wanted a mini GP style boat.

Fast and fun with a shed load of things to learn to make it go. We think it will be a great boat, that will challenge our sailing

skills for sometime.

Best,

Paul

As you can guess we were not looking for one design (or it was not are #1 concern) we wanted a mini GP style boat.

Fast and fun with a shed load of things to learn to make it go. We think it will be a great boat, that will challenge our sailing

skills for sometime.

Best,

Paul

under which handicap or rating system will you be racing?

I thought the same thing, but my Rigger's (Both top notch), Told me that this length (relative) is common with some of the TP 52's (check TNZ, Beecom, and the new Phoenix) relying on the vang for more leach control and de-powering the main.

But I don't know ShiX, will learn as we go.

Best,

Paul

Rigging coming together as well.

Me thinks you may want that trav track to go all the way across based on my exp with powered up sporties. That aint no j24

PHRF for sure, and what ever Sport boat rating system we can use on the Bay.

But my guess would be something close to a M32 when all is said and done.

skills for sometime.

Best,

Paul

under which handicap or rating system will you be racing?

Me thinks you may want that trav track to go all the way across based on my exp with powered up sporties. That aint no j24

Take a good look at the traveller arrangement on the MELGES 32, Turd.

Take a good look at the traveller arrangement on the MELGES 32, Turd.
Yeah and I'm not a fan of having to go all mega vang when all i'm looking to do is just drop trav and sheet hard when the breeze is up all to save what 6 - 7 ounces of trav track

You need to study the M32 more. The traveller arrangement was not driven by weight.

Ever sailed on one?

It will be nice to hear how often you need to have it cleaned. Which harbor are you in in Sausalito?

Did you figure out the outboard well setup? Are you going to use it or work with an engine on the stern?

Trinidad SR Two coats on subsequent days

Lightly sanded to polished surface

Faired any imperfection in the bottom.

Best,

Paul

wow no balltoplate or vc offshore? or is it too warm?

I thought the same thing, but my Rigger's (Both top notch), Told me that this length (relative) is common with some of the TP 52's (check TNZ, Beecom, and the new Phoenix) relying on the vang for more leach control and de-powering the main. But I don't know ShiX, will learn as we go. Best, Paul ]

Optimized for ww/lw, no?