• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BobBill

Epoxy Compatibility with Blue PVC

17 posts in this topic

I am crafting some cradles for a small cat out of blue sewer PVC. I had some doubts but roughed the surfaces up and added some glass cloth...did not "take." Well, it did, but I can peel it off easily, if I pry up and edge...guess it is not a good idea or I messed up by not roughing surface sufficiently.

Any thooughts?

When I do decide to make structures with plastic pipe and fiberglass joints....

I assume the fiberglass is nothing more than a home made elbow, coupling or whatever.

I assume the fiberglass will keep its shape but slide fight off the ends of any pipes

So I screw or through bolt any fiberglass 'sockets' to the pipes

Use the PVC cement for joining PVC fittings.

Epoxy does not bond nearly as well. Roughing the PVC and using G/Flex will help, but it's still not a strong bond.

Sand it with 40 grit. If you really want it to hold it needs to be mechanical. You can use a slip barb fitting, cut some shallow notches into the pipe near the end with a dremel or lathe. Had a crack in a 8" PVC pipe at 100psi. Couldn't get to it for a real repair so glassed it up real tight. Held just fine and was pretty much deemed permanent. Lot of fiberglass to PVC connections used in aquaculture for 15psi or less. They can be made to work.

I should have offered more detail.

The sewer PVC being used for cradles (2, to support catamaran hull, instead of rollers) will be physically anchored to the trailer, I just wanted to add glass to make stronger and give foam cover a base as well as give flat-head fasteners more area to hold.

Am avoiding installing long bunks...

I tried but found the glass, after the epoxy cured, is easily removed if an edge is pulled. I did rough up in attempt to create physical bond using course sandpaper...appreciate the advice. May try the G-Flex...small patch and see.

Bonds it but not as high strength as other bonds.

Thanks Bruno. can you be specific? What could offer a stonger bond for glass than epoxy? Not trying to be argumentative.

The bond between the PVC and the epoxy is not nearly as strong as the glass-epoxy bond.

Thanks Knobblyoldjimbo. My intent is to strengthen the PVC with a glass layer, much like a tab or deck layer, so the PVC section does not crack as easily with hull shift or say a rock kicked up by tire...I guess, as long as it is not critical, heat, epoxy, glass might be the ticket, noted by Jaybird, Bruno and the folks at Epoxyworks. Temps low here now, and I burned the surface of one section and will bond when temp gets above 50.

Just to finish this thread off...I took the above and Epoxyworks advice and torched the stuff a bit, then hit it with some 40 grit and a file, slopped some slow cure epoxy on it and lit a heat lamp...seems to have taken and if not, will not be life or boat threatening, so am leaving well enough alone. In short, PVC and epoxy not the best marriage.

I've used the pvc cement to prime the pipe surface. Wipe on, let sit, wipe off excess, then glass it. Bonds pretty well. I think the cement breaks some of the pvc molecular bonds and allows the epoxy to make a chemical bond with some of the 'broken' molecules. Worked better than 40 grit mechanical bond which always seemed to eventually fail under stress cycling.

Sam, That's a plan...Will give it a shot with one...thanks.