• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Snapper

Need feedback - Sport Boat or Sportboat?

Ignoring the forum title for the moment - need some feedback on whether it's technically 'Sport boat' or 'Sportboat' in your wise and never judgmental opinions...?

What should be the official norm?

Yes, I have a real reason for asking!

-Snap

...and of course SMS stands for Sportsboat Measurement System. I have something in the works and want to get the nomenclature correct. Hurting a few seppos feelings is not the issue here! I prefer 'sportboat' just like there is a 'speedboat' and a 'gunboat'.

I don't think 'sportsboat' will cut it on this side of the pond.

Sportsboat & I am not from down south.

I have a degree in Mathematics, therefore it is "Maths". Even seppos don't have Professors of Mathematic.

We watch sport on TV while seppos watch sports. We have sportsboats while seppos have sportboats. Go Figure. Well, no, cos that was the original name of my previous boat, Mumm 30 USA 11 (AUS11 Oedipus Complex) and that, despite its performance, was a lead mine and not a sportsboat but to seppos is a sportboat. Is that clear????

Ignoring the forum title for the moment - need some feedback on whether it's technically 'Sport boat' or 'Sportboat' in your wise and never judgmental opinions...?

What should be the official norm?

Yes, I have a real reason for asking!

-Snap

neither

it's Sportsboat

a lotus is not a 'sportcar' or 'sport car'

I have a degree in Mathematics, therefore it is "Maths". Even seppos don't have Professors of Mathematic.

yeah but you say "Sikth" when you mean "Sixth"

Sportboat up here.

Sportsboat down there.

we got a lot more of them up here.

they got a few wide ones down there.

yeah but you say "Sikth" when you mean "Sixth"

No I don't think so. Unless discussing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikth - which is unlikely. You might be assuming a Hayling Island thing is a British one.

Fair enough, but most of the south coasters seem to go with it, e'en though the beeb says it's wrong:

Finally, the word "sixth" has more than one possible pronunciation in English. It is usually pronounced SIKSTH in British English (pronounced as the word 'six', with 'th' as in 'thin' attached at the end), but can also be pronounced SIKST-TH. The pronunciation SIKTH (where the 's' is silent) often results in casual speech but is considered incorrect.

Sportsboat like sports car.

Google Sport Boat or sportboat and you get pages and pages of fishing boats.

Google sportsboat and you get Wikipedia : " The term "sportsboat" first appeared in the late 1980s and early 1990s to describe high performance Trailer yachts with major compromises in accommodation"

QED

Fair enough, but most of the south coasters seem to go with it, e'en though the beeb says it's wrong:

Finally, the word "sixth" has more than one possible pronunciation in English. It is usually pronounced SIKSTH in British English (pronounced as the word 'six', with 'th' as in 'thin' attached at the end), but can also be pronounced SIKST-TH. The pronunciation SIKTH (where the 's' is silent) often results in casual speech but is considered incorrect.

"Casual speech" is wonderfully non-judgemental (which is a good thing).

For an education on English-English, listen to Mick Jagger speaking to a variety of people. He constantly varies his accent to match the person he is speaking to. Quite spooky.

Now back to the scheduled programme.

Yeah but if you take out the ones that you call a SB and we don't cause there are too slow the numbers are closer :)

One of your quickest the Viper just scraps in to our cut off so we have you on quality

Interesting to note that we have SMS with no B (so sportsboat all 1 word) but the assoc is ASBA, so even we are confused

Sportboat up here.

Sportsboat down there.

Sportboat up here.

Sportsboat down there.

you have barely more than us, maybe less active

PER CAPITA we have 20 times you

or from another angle you have 20 times less

your most populated ( twice our country ) and richest state, just about 10 GDPs globallyahead of 180 countries

cannot field a regular fleet as large as the the city of Canberra (358,000)

or say NZ with 10% of the pop of your state, and 8% of calis GDP

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_between_U.S._states_and_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)

Google sportsboat and you get Wikipedia : " The term "sportsboat" first appeared in the late 1980s and early 1990s to describe high performance Trailer yachts with major compromises in accommodation"

QED

This makes a lot of sense as you wouldn't say sportcar, unless you're in Ireland. The big question is will the seppos take to it...?

Thanks for the feedback and par for the course hijack.

I'm running with Sportsboat. More details later.

QED

I confess that I take exception to the phrase "major compromises in accommodation".

The Viper can sleep a family of four very comfortably. Two adults can stretch out on a king size bed in the main cabin and two kids have a cozy space under the foredeck.

QED

But you can't listen to Mambo, he's a pom.

Oh wait, so's Snapper. Never mind. Long live the Queen!

(Off to edit Wikipedia!)

QED

But you can't listen to Mambo, he's a pom.

Oh wait, so's Snapper. Never mind. Long live the Queen!

(Off to edit Wikipedia!)

Does Rondar want to sponsor a forum about fishing boats or fast, exciting, sailing boats?

If you want to sponsor a forum about sailing boats, I suggest you ask Clean to edit the title of the SA Sports Boat Forum.

If you want to promote Sport Boats, then by all means lets get the word out to all of our friends who own Sea Rays, BayLiners, Fourwinns, Skeeters, Crownlines, Hydra-Sports etc. etc. etc. and tell them that SA has a forum for them. I'm sure that Scooter and Clean would appreciate the traffic!

Here are some useful links to start the ball rolling:

http://www.searay.com/Page.aspx/pageId/10233/Sport-Boats-18-30.aspx

http://sportboatsusa.com/

http://www.larsonboats.com/

There is a semi-serious point that I'm making. As industry participants you (Rondar and SA) should be promoting the universal adoption of the "s" in sports boats because it searches much better for you.

Also, outside of the US, sailors are using the "s" in sports boat, and inside the US, its probably 40/60. So it really wouldn't take much for the "s" to become standard to distinguish sailing boats from sport fishing boats.

Snapper,

I don't think you will find consistency in the English language about singular vs plural in compound words like sportboat vs sportsboat. Using sportscar as an example is small sample. What about motorsport vs motorsports? BBC Sport vs NBC Sports? North American sailors will say sportboat, North American fishermen might speak of sport-fishing boats, and Australia and NZ might say sportsboat.

I like sportboat, because there is only one sport I am doing with my boat. However, I acknowledge that this is just as arbitrary as sportsboat in our messy language that we share with many other countries.

It sounds like you are doing something with the name, either for an organization or an event. This implies that you might be registering a domain name. I suggest that you register both spellings of sportboat/sportsboat in your domain name if you are really doing something big, like forming a worldwide rating association to spread SMS, or a NA regatta.

Cheers,

jason

Snapper,

I don't think you will find consistency in the English language about singular vs plural in compound words like sportboat vs sportsboat. Using sportscar as an example is small sample. What about motorsport vs motorsports? BBC Sport vs NBC Sports? North American sailors will say sportboat, North American fishermen might speak of sport-fishing boats, and Australia and NZ might say sportsboat.

I like sportboat, because there is only one sport I am doing with my boat. However, I acknowledge that this is just as arbitrary as sportsboat in our messy language that we share with many other countries.

It sounds like you are doing something with the name, either for an organization or an event. This implies that you might be registering a domain name. I suggest that you register both spellings of sportboat/sportsboat in your domain name if you are really doing something big, like forming a worldwide rating association to spread SMS, or a NA regatta.

Cheers,

jason

Jason - appreciate it. Message me here with a Phone # for more. Mambo, same thing you manky poof.

Sportboat up here.

Sportsboat down there.

you have barely more than us, maybe less active

PER CAPITA we have 20 times you

or from another angle you have 20 times less

your most populated ( twice our country ) and richest state, just about 10 GDPs globallyahead of 180 countries

cannot field a regular fleet as large as the the city of Canberra (358,000)

or say NZ with 10% of the pop of your state, and 8% of calis GDP

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_between_U.S._states_and_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)

We have one regatta with almost 200 sportboats, and dozens with 20-40 one-design sporties racing against eachother. What you got? The great aussie PerCapita Championship?

Hell you can't even get a one design fleet together down there. But at least Aussies broke into the top 20 at Worlds, you should be happy.

Though the only Aussie to break the top ten had an irish crew and is a 470 sailor

Snapper,

Cheers,

jason

Jason - appreciate it. Message me here with a Phone # for more. Mambo, same thing you manky poof.

I'm with Jason, and the Ed is too. Sportboat it is when we write about it from now until forever, if for no other reason than it pisses little gybeset off.