• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Editor

the red

Looked like another another sponsor's boat (Farr 280), but then I noticed the wheel, relatively tiny saildrive and enough winches to sink a 28 footer.

Yes, another good looking new boat, but will it ever leave the drawing boat and be affordable? Artist? Who cares... give us a price and video of a crew of 10+ putting it to the test, then it will be interesting.

Leif Bailey?

Ah Max, daydreaming about the glory days of sa, when advertisers ran, editors swam with the fishes, and grifters sued? It's not like that anymore...

Yeah I second Bob. That's not a sheer line it's a straight edge. I don't find it un-appealing, just perhaps a little unimaginative. The artist made an unfortunate decision using red on the bottom as well as the top side. It makes the boat look to tall. Boats almost always look a little strange from the perfect profile.

I think it looks just fine. But to look at a straight line sheer and say "Oh, that's a Davidson sheer" is of a stretch. Lots of designers use straight line sheers today. Nice looking boat. Max hull,depth seems far forward to my eye. The boat has a little tummy.

There are some fast guesser's here... for sure.

www.dibleymarine.com/dibley/news.html

Thanks to the "Ed' for putting her on.

As a designer, the most important document when designing a yacht, is the 'client brief'.

This covers appearances, performance, cost etc.....

The more detailed the brief, the more locked in you get.

The less detailed brief allows some wiggle room and a bit more flare :)

"you like more sheer? ahhh, well lets put more in then".,..... Easy as that.

No influence with Laurie Davidson and the sheerline, but he is always in the back of my mind..... He remains a legend!

Guessing Davidson looking at the sheerline

What shearline? There is no shearline, the damned thing is flat as a pancake. These things all look the same, plumb stem no shear, flat bottom, bow sprit. And who won the TransPac this year, a 1928 design with lots of shear and overhang and seakindliness as evidenced by the fact that she's still above the watah.

As a designer, the most important document when designing a yacht, is the 'client brief'.

No influence with Laurie Davidson and the sheerline, but he is always in the back of my mind..... He remains a legend!

So what's Laurie up to these days? Gotta be getting on a bit now so is he still designing or has he hung up his curves and pencils/keyboard?

Liking your work KD.

So what's Laurie up to these days? Gotta be getting on a bit now so is he still designing or has he hung up his curves and pencils/keyboard?

Liking your work KD.

Thanks Flatbag.

Laurie is retired now but still doodles and sketches. He is in his late 80's but still as sharp as they come.

He occasionally pops in to see what is on our boards, and if something comes up, where his help is needed, we would still call him in.

Laurie's drawn an IOM r/c yacht thats going very well here on Australia's Gold Coast. The man might be getting on in years but he's still prepared to have a go at something different.

He showed me the early drawings. Saw the ones we were working on and decided to give it a go:)

Brilliant. Glad she is going well.

Sailed on Another Duchess for a few seasons.

Sweet ride.

Turned up one day to find a bloke on the dock looking at her. Said g'day as we went on, he asked what she was like to sail. Told him it is one of the nicest yachts I've sailed. He said quite nonchalantly, "That's good to hear, I'm Laurie, I designed her. I haven't seen her till now." After we pick our jaws up, we offered him aboard and a wine.

Really, really nice guys.

My word, two of my most favorite yacht designers in the world chatting on this message board!

My 2 most favorite performance cruisers are: Dibley's Commander 66 (I saw it in Gulf Harbour, NZ, and my jaw dropped) and Perry's Panda 40 Pilothouse (only saw photos, but it makes me drool).

Sailed on Another Duchess for a few seasons.

Sweet ride.

Turned up one day to find a bloke on the dock looking at her. Said g'day as we went on, he asked what she was like to sail. Told him it is one of the nicest yachts I've sailed. He said quite nonchalantly, "That's good to hear, I'm Laurie, I designed her. I haven't seen her till now." After we pick our jaws up, we offered him aboard and a wine.

Really, really nice guys.

cool story! and def great thing that SA brings the designers out for honest commentary....thanks guys!

Dumb question probably but what's wrong with a red boat? Just personal taste? Tacky? I kinda of like red when done well. Haven't there been some notable red boats? Wait. Is this a hijack?

post-81201-0-64843200-1383576974.jpg