• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hasybesma

End of paper Nautical Charts

7 posts in this topic

I came across this article on the end of paper nautical charts in april 2014, which I think is a bit of a concern to say the least.

But there is an opportunity to download all the charts in hi-res PDF-file for free for another two months or so.

The article:

http://yourcruisingeditor.wordpress.com/2013/10/23/the-end-of-paper-nautical-charts-coming-in-april-2014/

To the Charts:

http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/pdfcharts/

Chart viewer to choose the numbers:

http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/mcd/NOAAChartViewer.html

Happy downloading

From what I understand noaa is only stopping the printing of the paper charts. You will still be able to get the charts printed by a 3rd party.

There are also a few quick grab links that will automatically download every chart there, if you have the net connection to make it worthwhile. I think the were in the main SA forum

From what I understand noaa is only stopping the printing of the paper charts. You will still be able to get the charts printed by a 3rd party.

That's right, and there's no real reason for NOAA to continue printing. We have a little company here that prints waterproof charts. It's nice to not worry about getting charts soaked on a small boat. Just hose them off and let them dry and they're fine.

There are also a few quick grab links that will automatically download every chart there, if you have the net connection to make it worthwhile. I think the were in the main SA forum

Thanks. I wondered about that possibility. Link?

Tom's right. NOAA will continue to update the charts; they will just stop printing them. Who want's old, outdated, paper charts that have been sitting on a store shelf, when we've been able to have fresh, updated charts printed on waterproof paper on demand for many years now?