Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

doonybrook

DIY snubbers

If you want it for a mooring pendant, a motorcycle tire will work. Wouldn't look that great on dock lines though. ;)

How heavy is your boat? On my 2000lb catamaran, I use 3/8" bungee cord knotted to the dock lines. Works for me in SoCal. Hurricaneville? Maybe not so much!

Rubber or vinyl hose tied in the middle of a line using square knot on each end, maybe some tape or zip tie keepers. Used this method for about two years before buying some "Shockles".

Worked better than those rubber snubbers you wrap the line around, but not as good as the shockles. Very cheap. Rubber heater hose had better stretch characteristics than vinyl.

Mine is an inexpensive small fender (the kind with an eye on both ends). The line runs through the eyes and around the fender. Square knots on either end keep the fender captive & prevent it from slipping around. Looks klunky but works great.

I've used stripes cut from the tread of an old tire cut a hole in each end put line in one end wrap a few turns and out the other end

+1

Sounds like the best alternative to me

HW

I've used stripes cut from the tread of an old tire cut a hole in each end put line in one end wrap a few turns and out the other end

Google "Bosun snubber" That top link is mine. Full Disclosure *I sell stuff, too, but this one is just a knowledge page*

Got 35,000 lb boat with all 3/8" chain rode. Use two lengths of 5/8 nylon line with spliced eye and one 5/16" Amsteel Blue soft shackle. Soft shackle goes through a link of chain (just over the bow) and each spliced eye. Line is led to cleats midships and chain is eased to load nylon; leave bight of chain to dangle. Line stretches until shackle is almost in the water in 20 kt breeze. Smooth ride in all conditions I've tried it in (some more messy than I'd like). Fast and easy to deploy and recover, strong and lots of stretch available.