• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cynophobe

Happy Rocket day Larso

No helmet. Sailing at highway speeds. What could possibly go wrong?

I expect they'll go faster next time. The guy with the RC airplane already said he would NOT be outrun by a sailboat again.

That takes balls of steel. And the Shackleton doc is terrific

Talk about opposite ends of the spectrum,Larso has it covered.

The final shot says it all really.He's just a big kid.

Nice video. One of those things that won't quite happen again. Even though that run was probably just really the beginning of what that boat is capable of, that record will likely stand for a very long time.

Nice video. One of those things that won't quite happen again. Even though that run was probably just really the beginning of what that boat is capable of, that record will likely stand for a very long time.

I think Sailrocket will beat its own record.

They were messing around with the main foil and finally figured out it needed a stall fence. The foil had already been cut down, and it did not grow back. They were running out of time at their speed beach.

There is just no way that they have lucked onto the right foil shape/configuration. I doubt their wing sail is perfected either. The record-setting run was in rougher water than they would have liked (a bit far offshore at the start) and the wind was good but not great.

One of these days, they're bound to get a better foil, maybe a better wing sail, and a better breeze all in the same run. Sailrocket will go 70 knots.

When the foil on Sailrocket 1 let go of the water, the boat launched itself and did a backflip. Sailrocket 2 has the main foil aft. I hope they don't find out what happens when that one lets go at top speed, but if it does, would the boat drive itself into the bottom? Do a forward flip in the air? Or what?

100 knots by 2020. That's what I would like to see, and you can bet your sweet ass we will be there next time to report it.

100 kts. That's pretty crazy! I was not sure SailRocket would ever sail again. Paul seems to be having fun doing other sailing. Is there some news to the contrary? And how the fuck did you know my ass was sweet?

The moment in the Sailrocket video where the boat swivels a little, lines up and just takes off is electrifying still. What a great day that was, and remains.

100 kts. That's pretty crazy! I was not sure SailRocket would ever sail again. Paul seems to be having fun doing other sailing. Is there some news to the contrary?

I have not heard any news to the contrary and the website is dormant, but my guess is someone will beat Sailrocket's record.

The new record will probably be within Sailrocket's capabilities. IIRC, the previous Sailrocket was designed to go 50 knots. This one was designed to go 70 knots. Think they will be able to resist?

There's not a lot of reason to go beat their own record before someone else does it. There's more publicity for Vestas in sitting around until someone beats it, then beating that new record.

Paul and I had a couple of conversations in Falmouth about it. Suffice to say that, if the team can find the cash, they'll go for the next speed challenge. It's highly rewarding as a sailor and an engineer, and for the money, it's a great investment by a sponsor compared to other major records. Just from my own survey, I'd guess Larso got a great deal more international press than Banque Populaire V did when she set the JV record at a much higher cost. Outright speed record seems to reach the general public (outside France) better than oceanic ones. Plus you can sleep in a bed at night, and take your woman along, and do interviews without salt in your beard.

On the bucket list to shake Paul's hand over a beer or two one day. He's up there with our sporting hero's,,Cadel,Sally,Cathy,Pat,Casey,Lockey to mention a few,,,and a good bloke to boot,,,

Some great insights into Larso's way of thinking in the final episode of the shackleton documentary. (Paraphrasing) "I'm a long way out of my comfort zone. i have never done anything like this. I'm scared shitless, but if I back out now I'll let people down and i haven't achieved the things I have by walking away from a challenge."