Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Raz'r

Flying Phantom

I think a foiler ought to be reefed sooner than a seahuggger and I think speed would go up and handling would be easier.

To take off a foiler has to reach 12 13 knots of speed

One minute later he is flying at 20 k

There is no reef and if you reduce sail area you will not be able to take off

Upwind skimming mode seems the best mode giving better angle and good speed

Skimming or flying high the speed is very similar but the handling is easier lower

The AC45T are flying low upwind and higher downwind

The boat heigh being function of the rake AND the speeed

The overpower is regulated with playing the traveller so the crew regulate the wind change with the main only when necessary

the stab ility and the goodwill of the boat when up on his foil is just incredible you would not have bet before testing

Not all multifoilers need so much speed to take off-Phantom, GC 32 take off around 7-8 knots depending on conditions.

And the GC 32 already uses a reefing system:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0eRrwlkO4M#t=20

On a foiling cat you want to reef/reduce sail as early as possible. If you can foil with a reef, then you reef. It's just faster.

Not all multifoilers need so much speed to take off-Phantom, GC 32 take off around 7-8 knots depending on conditions.And the GC 32 already uses a reefing system:

I Confirm boat speed 12 13 knots to take off wind speed 6 7 knots

once flying i saw the FP going on flying with à little 5 knots of wind speed depending of the waves

14-16 knots BS, 55° TWA

Very Impressive!!!

What about downwind? up to what wind speed will the code 0 be used?

I think a foiler ought to be reefed sooner than a seahuggger and I think speed would go up and handling would be easier.

To take off a foiler has to reach 12 13 knots of speed

One minute later he is flying at 20 k

There is no reef and if you reduce sail area you will not be able to take off

Upwind skimming mode seems the best mode giving better angle and good speed

Skimming or flying high the speed is very similar but the handling is easier lower

The AC45T are flying low upwind and higher downwind

The boat heigh being function of the rake AND the speeed

The overpower is regulated with playing the traveller so the crew regulate the wind change with the main only when necessary

the stab ility and the goodwill of the boat when up on his foil is just incredible you would not have bet before testing

I think you'll find the ac45t foils lower up wind to keep as much of the vertical part of the dagger board in the water as possible to reduce leeway.

We always use the code 0 downwind even in 25 knots of wind.

In 12-14 knots of TWS we do 23-26 knots BS at 150° TWA

Double trapeezing in high winds or still single?

From the Phantom newsletter:

As each year on the first weekend in May, Carnac Yacht Club will be organizing the Eurocat, one of Europe’s biggest gatherings of racing catamarans. This year, it will also be the first event for the Flying Phantom catamarans: The Flying Phantom Series – Eurocat 2015. Fifteen Flying Phantoms will be taking part in this big event on their very own race course off the main beach and the Yacht Club in Carnac – France.

Flying Phantoms at Carnac:

A Flying Phantom has showed up at Jericho complete with delivery styrofoam. Apparently they had the instructions out and were assembling it Saturday evening. The peanut gallery is excited. One prolific moth sailor is completely enthused. A newly minted F18 owner is skeptical about weird chop days and the amount of wood we have floating around. So it will be like a Sailing Anarchy forum discussion only with actual people you know. It will be interesting to see how this goes as we are far away from Europe and other FPs so this one is really "in the wild"

FP%20at%20JSC.jpg

Well the Phantom definitely won the talk it up cup for Carnac. Their 15 boat fleet looks more like 5 boats in the results.

Yeah, I saw her on Sunday while attending to the CL16 nearby. However I have to doubt that typical light but lumpy with some logs English Bay will favor her. I have sailed up and over one side of a log and down the other on English Bay, I don't think the Phantom has that capability.

Yeah, I saw her on Sunday while attending to the CL16 nearby. However I have to doubt that typical light but lumpy with some logs English Bay will favor her. I have sailed up and over one side of a log and down the other on English Bay, I don't think the Phantom has that capability.

Good point. Can't do too much damage at six knots.

I wish them luck, I just wish there was less wood out there.

Had a quick look today, great package, foils look wild, mast is very nice.......

Well the Phantom definitely won the talk it up cup for Carnac. Their 15 boat fleet looks more like 5 boats in the results.

Carnac was very windy this year, under pouring rain. We were sailing on the bay, so we went to see their circle on Friday, and we saw all of race 3. Wind was 18 with gusts up to 24.

* Only 4 boats (plus one with something broken who came to the line too late). All pros (Bomtemps/Amiot and Besson/Vandame are factory sailors, Cammas/Jouber were sailing another factory boat, and Rogues on the 4th boat is a pro as well).

* A tons of very big ribs loaded with people following them around. Looked ridiculous frankly.

* They were racing in very flat water, near Quiberon.

* The nacra 20 FCS (also 4 boats) where sharing the same course (classic windward/leeward with a gate), but not the same start.

All the boats were skimming upwind and fully flying downwind. I'm guessing the skimming is on purpose to keep as much vertical daggerboard in the water as possible? Lots of layline misses at the gate, Playing the gusts downwind seems to make layline decisions quite hard.

On Saturday there was even more wind, more than 20 for sure, with some violent gusts. Only the F18 went out, and only 15 of them. Long distance raid was cancelled. We didn't sail on Sunday, so no idea what happenned there.

not sure how to link to videos on FB, but on the FP FB page, there is a great video of something like 2 minutes of incredibly steady foiling

it's down a ways on their page now

it is pretty impressive

Maybe belongs to Kim Alfreds? I believe he had one on order but delivery kept getting pushed back because of delays at the factory.

Nice, I will be down to check her out.

I'm pretty sure they got out for the very first time this evening after a long day of fiddling but the wind had dropped by then so it would have been a shakedown cruise. Unfortunately I had to take my kid and his friend home from the latter's first ever experience of sailing, which involved getting out on the wire on a Nacra 570 so while that was a great success, I didn't get to see this historic moment. Hopefully they will be out tomorrow.

I spoke with the guys at some length. The boat is complex in that it has all the usual control lines for three sails and the rotating mast etc but also the halyards(?) and pitch controls for the boards, the former of which has one line to put the boards down while up is coupled to hooking on to the trapeze. And of course there is one of each control for each side so it's a lot of lovely looking spectra. The boat is supposed to be transportable to venues in a container but depending how good they get it looks to be a decent adventure to get the thing up and running.

More soon I hope.