Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Editor

what is it?

The red devil from a coupla days ago was so much fun and took a near record time to get figured out, we thought we might have another one. We're waiting...

what is it 12 4.jpg

Hugest 500c. As for the boat haven't a clue

+1

There is a helo in the pic in the corner but that isn't a helo. Looks more like a Sail Rocket contraption, foils of some description. Initially thought it was the top of a mast but can't work out what the three foils would be for.

There is a helo in the pic in the corner but that isn't a helo. Looks more like a Sail Rocket contraption, foils of some description. Initially thought it was the top of a mast but can't work out what the three foils would be for.

Google the hughes 500c, you'll see they're right

Its Doctor Evil's new sailboat that goes along side the chopper on deck of his floating lair.

Looks like a modded U20 from Penticton!

Dunno what it is but the fairing of the port true-fake teak is shithouse. Other than that I like it and want it

It's a Quarter Tonner that's been tweeked

Cruising version of the Melges24? Teak decks, dayboat looks, smaller cockpit to make room for berths below.....

Something European, but why a teak deck on a sports boat? What is the point? Also, yes, nice "tail".

Cruising version of the Melges24? Teak decks, dayboat looks, smaller cockpit to make room for berths below.....

I think your right, this is the new "rule-compliant" Melges. The no-hiking stanchions are going on next....

Something European, but why a teak deck on a sports boat? What is the point? Also, yes, nice "tail".

Why not? Lot's of Euro daysailers have teak decks and even seating. (Course Euro 'sport boats' aren't the same as sport boat elsewhere. Amenities and esthetics not allowed :rolleyes: ).

so it's not a helicopter in the foto? it's not real teak on the decks? it's a

sailplane, and yea I think a mini brenta but no couches..this is tuff

Ahhh, Uhmmm - Style!

And you dont wear down your foulies in one season on this bloody sand deck color.

i believe i've been in that chopper....if so it's a new pony in hh's stable

i dunno what it is, but that's an imitation teak product isnt it ?

We've somehow learned to live with imitation tit implants, so...

imitation 'teak' is created by scoring marine plywood and the stretching and fastening canvas over that then 'seams' are created by pressing shims into the grooves.

Actually the teak and mahogany mix is used in several boats, the Tofinou's coming to mind. In fact the Tofinou 8,9.5 and 12m combine traditional with contemporary as carbon fibre is used from cabin tops, etc. along with teak decks, seats and mahogany coach house sides. I very much like it but degustibus, each to his own taste.

BTW the photo in my avatar is the Tofinou 8m.

imitation 'teak' is created by scoring marine plywood and the stretching and fastening canvas over that then 'seams' are created by pressing shims into the grooves.

Actually the teak and mahogany mix is used in several boats, the Tofinou's coming to mind. In fact the Tofinou 8,9.5 and 12m combine traditional with contemporary as carbon fibre is used from cabin tops, etc. along with teak decks, seats and mahogany coach house sides. I very much like it but degustibus, each to his own taste.

Well that's just one way of doing it, and it doesn't sound like it would be a good way at that! Teak is a naturally oily and durable wood. When simply glued to a composite deck, it will last for years with little to no maintenance. My boat has teak decks like this that are 30 years old... and they still look great and all I have to do is give them a salt water bath every once in a while. Why on earth would I want to change that with some weird marine ply/canvas/shim technology that just seems to cry out for failing in some way or another? ... there is imitation teak that is rubber based, stuff that is made out of cork, vinyl based imitation teak etc, and they all work well for what they are. I have the cork stuff on my fishing skiff, and it has been good and durable for over 10 years... though honestly, I probably would have been better off just gluing real teak to the deck... would have meant for less maintenance!

Well that's just one way of doing it, and it doesn't sound like it would be a good way at that! Teak is a naturally oily and durable wood. When simply glued to a composite deck, it will last for years with little to no maintenance. My boat has teak decks like this that are 30 years old... and they still look great and all I have to do is give them a salt water bath every once in a while. Why on earth would I want to change that with some weird marine ply/canvas/shim technology that just seems to cry out for failing in some way or another? ... there is imitation teak that is rubber based, stuff that is made out of cork, vinyl based imitation teak etc, and they all work well for what they are. I have the cork stuff on my fishing skiff, and it has been good and durable for over 10 years... though honestly, I probably would have been better off just gluing real teak to the deck... would have meant for less maintenance!

I agree it is si;;y to try to imitate teak, wither go with real wood or not at all. I an't remember off hand where I read about the faux teak treatment but I'm sure it will come back.

the imitation teak looks like Tek Dek or similar - polymer (plastic) based material, seen it at boat shows, not sold on it though - approx 4kg/m^2 without the glue

Nope. Donovan's Boat doesn't have a cabin, it's got a reverse slope on the flush deck with a Lewmar Hatch

Donovan's 20 footer. He's finally painting it. Used to be in my neighbors garage.

Ahhh, Uhmmm - Style!

And you dont wear down your foulies in one season on this bloody sand deck color.

Yes, looks sexy, nice with the carbon... cool... all good, I could even imagine the crew in matching foulies. I just don't get the need for it on a small boat where it isn't adding to the structure and moving weight away from down low. I'd waste the money (imitation isn't that cheap either) and weight on something useful... a carbon foil and tungsten bulb. All that said, I am fearing it is coming out of some workshop in the center of the States somewhere and putting my guess of Europe (really Germany, Switzerland or Italy) out the window. Oh well to each their own? Still a damn fine looking boat - probably has an inboard though another waste of cash.

Ahhh, Uhmmm - Style!

Yes, looks sexy, nice with the carbon... cool... all good, I could even imagine the crew in matching foulies. I just don't get the need for it on a small boat where it isn't adding to the structure and moving weight away from down low. I'd waste the money (imitation isn't that cheap either) and weight on something useful... a carbon foil and tungsten bulb. All that said, I am fearing it is coming out of some workshop in the center of the States somewhere and putting my guess of Europe (really Germany, Switzerland or Italy) out the window. Oh well to each their own? Still a damn fine looking boat - probably has an inboard though another waste of cash.

well you are right in terms of investment - i would have gone for a real teak deck and not this fake stuff.

Tungsten Bulb? I thought everything heavier than lead (spec weight 11,34) is ruled out. Otherwise i would opt for Uranium - it gives this stylish green glow under water. Corresponds nice with the teak color.

I think the `teak or whatever' deck has been done by the renovator since it's not straight.

My guess is it's a u20.

Wood decking has no business on any high performance sailboat...

post-906-0-26098900-1386213448_thumb.jpg

;)

Yep U20 amazing how folks thought the little ol u20 was any number of big ticket possibilites. Monster boat shed style.

I hope the mast is black. (that traveller and hatch sure looked familiar...) #36 had a black mast. It looked really good.. Jeff swore he'd never do another one.

Hot in the fuckin sun?!

Get your 3rd degree calf burns here...

Hot in the fuckin sun?!

Get your 3rd degree calf burns here...

Not if it is in the uk, The black will help you stay warm :-)

Really love the black with the teak effect deck, just lovely

Hull #41 in Plymouth England

Not sure when the Italy boats started production though 41 was probably built in the US at USI. Yes U20's are built in Italy even today. Nice boats too from what I've been told.

I wonder how all that black will look after a few years in the sun?

Who stores their U20 outside uncovered? Especially one done up like this? I doubt that is much of a worry.

Ultimate 20 in a shed up at Staddon Heights in Plymouth. Don't think it's been on the water in 3 years or so. Apparently has a carbon stick coming. Ullmans have built a square top main and a massive kyte for it..... why add power loose weight and then put fake teak on it? No idea, but the guy making it had more money than sense.... the helictoper isn't his btw.

Ultimate 20 in a shed up at Staddon Heights in Plymouth. Don't think it's been on the water in 3 years or so. Apparently has a carbon stick coming. Ullmans have built a square top main and a massive kyte for it..... why add power loose weight and then put fake teak on it? No idea, but the guy making it had more money than sense.... the helictoper isn't his btw.

It could be argued that anyone fooling around with boats that don't generate income have more money than sense - so why beat up on someone who's having fun with their money and making a boat look the way they want it to look? Hell anyone that has a sailboat is spending money on something that they don't really need.

+1

Then it gets better.

Or worse, depending on your POV......

:)