• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Code 2

single burner camp stove multi-gimballed

55 posts in this topic

Im ;looking for a single burner camp stove that is multi gimballed that can be mounted on a bulkhead and havent been able to find one.

I called Force 10 and they sold to some other company and that company discontinued it - camco?

Anyway - does anyone know where i can find this bit of kit?

Thanks!

I got one a year ago , Forespar hot spot mini galley #150000. Now it only accepts a small diameter pot or coffee pot size base. It came with a coffee pot perk style allumium. They do sell additional pots to fit i just use the one pot for one pot meals . Gimbal works good. They have a rail mount bracket also.

What I have. Gas bottles rust quickly, otherwise great. Buy an extra bracket so you can hang it out of the way when not using. Bulky. I also have a JetBoil which works just as well, but no real gimbal.

Thanks - exactly what I was looking for.

I contacted Safire in the UK to inquire about their Stable Stove Gimbal for the Jetboil Stove. Quoted price of 125 pounds + VAT delivered in UK. This is for a compact model, not the one on their website. I'll post an image of the compact version when I receive one. Not sure much advantage over Forespar other than size.the-stove-stay-finished-marine-gimbal-br

^^ and also FYI, further to show an inspector . . .here is a 'US Sailing approved' article on their website which says that a spectra cover is a prefered way for chafe protection. I wrote it http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/smile.png

I contacted Safire in the UK to inquire about their Stable Stove Gimbal for the Jetboil Stove. Quoted price of 125 pounds + VAT delivered in UK. This is for a compact model, not the one on their website. I'll post an image of the compact version when I receive one. Not sure much advantage over Forespar other than size.the-stove-stay-finished-marine-gimbal-br

I have been looking for a gimbal for a jetboil for a while but this is the first one I have seen. Looking at the place of the gimbal relative to the jetboil it would seem that is too low in relation to the COG of the jetboil (with a full cup) but hard to tell from the YouTube video. Seems a bit pricy -about double of what the cooker costs.

anybody wants a wall mount for the forespar unit let me know. Not sure which boat the stove part disappeared with. Diameter was so small that it didn't get much use anyway.

@Owen. PM Sent.

Forespar Gimballed stove works great, but can come out of mount. Extra fitted pots are a little pricey, but the stainless steel with glass lid is really well made. The aluminum pot it comes with is crap, but boils water fine. The enamel pot is OK too, but would be better if we hadn't lost the lid already...

How about the Jet Boil system? You can hang it anywhere.

At sea I would take a gimballed mounted stove over a small pot of boiling water over a flame dangling from a string hanging from the ceiling...

I just bought a used Balmar Seacook stove on ebay. It's pretty nice. Looks to be early 80s from the manual.

No thermocoupler or whatever the shutoff thing is. I wish it had that. I'm not sure that it's "unsafe" but it would be a lot better with it.

Otherwise, the thing is sweet.

Any updates to this? It seems the Forespar unit is now discontinued. The Jetboil seems like the bomb, but where to get a gimbal that isn't $200.

FWIW I got to use one of these things yesterday, very trick and useful. I have a stainless Zebra pot that fit perfectly and was juuust large enough to make a beef paprikash for three.

I need to hunt one of these down, I liked it that much. Mounted on the companionway bulkhead it was nice cooking while still on deck.

To keep the bottles from rusting, DuPont makes an aerosol Teflon spray that I find a million and one uses for. The nice part is that it dries, unlike something like WD40.

I made my own Jetboil gimbal after starting a similar thread. It was all done with hand tools, but did require brazing to join a few pieces of metal. I keep meaning to post a quick drawing, here is a photo:

14072244349_6722517d42_z.jpg

SMBReno: Did you get the UK Jetboil gimbal? What do you think? It seems like the pivot point should be near the water level, not down near the burner, but I'm curious to hear how it works.

FWIW I got to use one of these things yesterday, very trick and useful. I have a stainless Zebra pot that fit perfectly and was juuust large enough to make a beef paprikash for three.

I need to hunt one of these down, I liked it that much. Mounted on the companionway bulkhead it was nice cooking while still on deck.

To keep the bottles from rusting, DuPont makes an aerosol Teflon spray that I find a million and one uses for. The nice part is that it dries, unlike something like WD40.

Just remember to wear proper safety gear if you spray Teflon - it really is some nasty shit to breathe

Here's another homemade version. Pivot is up at the liquid as well. Made to fit a FT10 "galley".....

Here's another homemade version. Pivot is up at the liquid as well. Made to fit a FT10 "galley".....

That looks good. At first I thought it was a single pivot gimbal instead of dual, but now I see the second set of bushings back by the mount.

Is the pivot still in the same place when a fuel canister is added?

I noticed that the rings were cut and joined by hand. I used sections of pipe to make that a little easier. The sizes are listed below. The 4" pipe perfectly fits a Jetboil PCS, Flash, or Zip pot:

4" (4.5" OD x 0.08" Wall x 4.334" ID) Schedule 5 304-304L WELDED Stainless Pipe Pipe Schedule 5 4" nom. (4.5" OD x 0.08" Wall x Item# 920 $2.79 USD 2 $5.58 USD

5" (5.56" OD x 0.13" Wall x 5.295" ID) Schedule 10 304-304L Welded Stainless Pipe Pipe Schedule 10 5" nom. (5.563" OD x 0.134" Item# 937 $4.68 USD 2 $9.36 USD

The 5" is used to make the second gimbal ring so that it could swing in any direction. Online Metals cut them in 1" sections for me. Maybe that'll be helpful for you or another builder next time.

This version of Jetboil has inverted canister that fits under the pot. I made the rings out of hose clamps. Very light.

I've been waiting for someone to come up with a gimbal mount for Jetboil (other than that sketchy and overpriced one from the UK). You would think that with all the stoves out there that there would be a market for it. I guess I'll just have to wait unless someone knows of one. Hey Alex...feeling entrepreneurial?

I'm not going to go into production with my current design, no one would buy them for what I'd need to charge.

Clewless's version appears to be all bolt together using standard hardware store stuff, you should be able to make this in a basement with a hand drill. Mine required a little more because I used a oxy/fuel torch to braze the cage together. His hose clamp rings are smart and light and easier to source than what I did.

I'll go into production if I ever build a CNC lathe with live tooling and an indexed spindle, or have access to a large enough CNC mill with a 4th axis.

On my short bike ride this morning I realized there must be kitchen baskets that are about the right size to make one of these.

It looks like they are sold as round pasta cooking baskets. Cut the handle off, copy the top of Clewless's work, and you have a multigimbaled Jetboil stove in almost no work.

bourgeatpastabasket.jpg

Just find one with an inner diameter near 4.5".

An Asparagus steamer might be even closer to what is needed:

61L0SUI0eYL._SL1398_.jpg

$25: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000SSVR06/ref=psdc_289831_t2_B001BKNA6Y

It would be nice to see one in person, I think the basket is about 5" in diameter interior. Not bad, but not ideal. It already has a place at the top to hook in a gimbal, though perhaps underbuilt for the role.

Don't the Seascapes offer a nice solution for this? Maybe they'd be willing to sell the hardware separate.

Alex,

The basket may be a good choice since you do need to get to the gas controls. 5" may be too small for my Jetboil Joule (the 2 liter one) though. My contraption will still be a bit lighter -- the host clamp pieces were mostly riveted together. We tested it during the Hot Rums last Nov/Dec, worked great!

C

Yeah, 5" is too small for the Joule. Most of the baskets are larger, it may actually be easier to find one that is Joule sized. I am using a smaller Jetboil PCS (now called the Flash or Zip) since my goal was just to boil water for making coffee or tea. That's the model that needs a roughly 4.5" diameter basket.

Weight is not a major concern on my boat, the whole contraption weighs under a lb, which is good enough (but I'm also not on a sportboat).

I forgot about the valve for the burner, but cutting out a section of basket to get access would be fine. The second one is better for that as you noted.

bumpin this back up - I never bought the stove and now want it again...of course cannot find anything. Including on google.

any ideas from the peanut gallery?

much appreciated!

I really dont want to build one only because i dont have the time - BTW - I may use this once a year.

Since we don't have the tools or skills for DIY of this, we ended up getting one of the gimbals for our Jet Boil from New Ocean Wave in the UK. Perfect, except for the price.

IMG_2857-e1453858205450.jpg

i spent s few minutes at home depot and REI today - I think I can make this with my backpacking stove. Wish I could find those premade rings somewhere. Will keep looking..

I think I posted this elsewhere on here, I think you can find an asparagus strainer that would fit most camp stoves.

Don't the Seascapes offer a nice solution for this? Maybe they'd be willing to sell the hardware separate.

Yes this is an option on the Seascape 27. Contact your Seascape dealer and I'm sure they can sell you one. It gimbals in both pitch and roll axis with a basket for your Jetboil. The gimbal would just need a simple tube adapter to fit onto the boat (built-in for the 27).

post-74169-0-79291200-1457757283_thumb.jpg

That looks good. At first I thought it was a single pivot gimbal instead of dual, but now I see the second set of bushings back by the mount.

I noticed that the rings were cut and joined by hand. I used sections of pipe to make that a little easier. The sizes are listed below. The 4" pipe perfectly fits a Jetboil PCS, Flash, or Zip pot:

4" (4.5" OD x 0.08" Wall x 4.334" ID) Schedule 5 304-304L WELDED Stainless Pipe Pipe Schedule 5 4" nom. (4.5" OD x 0.08" Wall x Item# 920 $2.79 USD 2 $5.58 USD

5" (5.56" OD x 0.13" Wall x 5.295" ID) Schedule 10 304-304L Welded Stainless Pipe Pipe Schedule 10 5" nom. (5.563" OD x 0.134" Item# 937 $4.68 USD 2 $9.36 USD

The 5" is used to make the second gimbal ring so that it could swing in any direction. Online Metals cut them in 1" sections for me. Maybe that'll be helpful for you or another builder next time.

Do you have a picture of the final product, going to give this a try.

one should note: the Forespar gimbal single with a small fitting terra-cotta ceramic flower pot is a way to warm up your cabin. Once heated - it stays warm for a while. best used when one wants to take the chill and dampness out of space and drying hanging laundry in safe close proximity. A couple of ceramic pucks inside flower pot once heated has other warming uses too.

I don't understand why someone hasn't snatched up the chance to develop a universal adapter for MSR, Snowpeak, and Jetboil isobutane stoves. It's not that complicated, and would probably sell to every sailor with a boat that doesn't already have a propane setup. Even then, I can see having a little cockpit coffee maker would be a nice addition to any boat.

Do you have a picture of the final product, going to give this a try.

There is a photo further up this thread with it mounted on my steering binnacle.

I don't have a good place for it on my new boat, so I've given the setup to one of the local boats doing r2ak.

Port Townsend Foundry has a bronze version of the old Sea Swing/Sea Cook that'll fit a 10" pot

Adam Baldwin of Atomvoyages.com does or did sell a SS version - also holds 10" pot

Both use the older style brass kero/primus burner

No affiliation with either company

On 22.9.2014 at 2:42 AM, Clewless said:

post-2281-0-86864100-1411346347_thumb.jpgpost-2281-0-72516800-1411346495_thumb.jpg

Thanks for this inspiration! I change some details for me... because, at the first time, i have not seen the lower part :D. So, less parts, lighter and easy to install the Jetboil.  

IMG_20170830_1541111-768x1024.jpg

some more information´s (in German) here:  http://muck-solutions.com/?page_id=1733

On 4/26/2017 at 1:23 AM, ni·hil·ism said:

I don't understand why someone hasn't snatched up the chance to develop a universal adapter for MSR, Snowpeak, and Jetboil isobutane stoves. It's not that complicated, and would probably sell to every sailor with a boat that doesn't already have a propane setup. Even then, I can see having a little cockpit coffee maker would be a nice addition to any boat.

No one is stopping you! (Or me.)

11 hours ago, the_muck said:

Thanks for this inspiration! I change some details for me... because, at the first time, i have not seen the lower part :D. So, less parts, lighter and easy to install the Jetboil.  

IMG_20170830_1541111-768x1024.jpg

some more information´s (in German) here:  http://muck-solutions.com/?page_id=1733

Looks pretty good - and light.  Just one thing to consider - add a way to lock the jetboil in as it could jump out of the holder if you crash off a wave and you will have a loose firestarter rolling around in the cabin.

Hello, the picture show a detail of the holder. So i designed a small bow and i hope this is enough to prevent that the Jetboil jumps out of the holder ;). 

detail.PNG

Too bad the Forespar stove is no longer available. I made a semi-stable adaption by riveting a SS stove ring on a Coleman propane camp stove. With the plastic stabilizer it works ok, especially embedded in a hole. But for really rough conditions it isn't enough.

The problem with the camp stoves is they are too light, need some hardware to attach to. But I like the various mounts, the jetboil just seems limited and pricey.

3 hours ago, the_muck said:

Hello, the picture show a detail of the holder. So i designed a small bow and i hope this is enough to prevent that the Jetboil jumps out of the holder ;). 

detail.PNG

I think he means that the stove can easily separate from the pot in the Jetboil, leaving you a flaming mess.  

That is why I made my design hold the burner, fuel, and stove.  

ok i see, you are right!

Yes that´s a point and i have thought about it to. There are several options to add safety mechanism to lock the pot and the burner, or a safety leash . But at first i will look how the system works. A friend has drilled some holes in the pot, attached some ropes and use this hanging system without problems. But i keep an eye on this. thanks. 

On 9/12/2017 at 7:21 PM, Alex W said:

I think he means that the stove can easily separate from the pot in the Jetboil, leaving you a flaming mess.  

That is why I made my design hold the burner, fuel, and stove.  

I did actually mean that the "tabs" could easily jump out of the holder in a hard landing off a wave - BUT - Your point is equally valid

On 13.9.2017 at 7:53 AM, the_muck said:

ok i see, you are right!

Yes that´s a point and i have thought about it to. There are several options to add safety mechanism to lock the pot and the burner, or a safety leash . But at first i will look how the system works. A friend has drilled some holes in the pot, attached some ropes and use this hanging system without problems. But i keep an eye on this. thanks. 

Thanks Muck!  I uuhmmm borrowed two of your drawings. danke schoen!

19 hours ago, Kalimotxo said:

Thanks Muck!  I uuhmmm borrowed two of your drawings. danke schoen!

you are welcome, at the website you find a *.DXF file for laser or water cutting ;).