py26129

Ugly dodger collection

Love the name - very droll as it's the one thing that boat doesn't have.

That one nearly made it. If the builder had V'd the forward windows a little it might have looked kinda' decent.

It was a prolific couple of days. This lovely specimen lives on a buoy in Montague Harbour. They apparently had not heard about making the buoy from something soft and round but they really don't care.

They also don't want visitors...

dodger.jpg

Great find, what a name !

That was one of the reasons I bought it. It came from Lee Valley, so it must be good. The tool itself is well made but the ergonomics are severely compromised.

09a0378s1.jpg

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=70220&cat=1,43456,43407

That it sells for $12.95 might be a clue that it isn't top quality..............

I think you guys miss the point of that tool. It's supposed to be the only one you have and the ergonomics of it are supposed to be better than using your hand as a hammer, pliers, saw, etc. If you are able to carry other tools, you don't want that one. I've found myself wearing a multitool and wishing for a hammer. OTOH, that little hammer won't solve many problems that actually require a hammer.

I've sat in meetings wishing for an axe, but even if I owned one I wouldn't have had that with me, and even if I did it wasn't the type of axe I was hoping for.

That was one of the reasons I bought it. It came from Lee Valley, so it must be good. The tool itself is well made but the ergonomics are severely compromised.

09a0378s1.jpg

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=70220&cat=1,43456,43407

That it sells for $12.95 might be a clue that it isn't top quality..............

I think you guys miss the point of that tool. It's supposed to be the only one you have and the ergonomics of it are supposed to be better than using your hand as a hammer, pliers, saw, etc. If you are able to carry other tools, you don't want that one. I've found myself wearing a multitool and wishing for a hammer. OTOH, that little hammer won't solve many problems that actually require a hammer.

"Better than your hand"

Correct indeed, TR you should be in marketing

As for a hammer, well my hand is not all that good but a shoe works pretty well. And -that- hammer is a better hammer than -that- saw is for sawing.

FB- Doug

Speaking of random stuff that's not an ugly dodger, here's my new shade curtain.

64176_10203019926133121_6369447904870847

And stowed:

10291079_10203019925933116_4433830711377

When were those drink holders inspected ? There are several missing.

Is that the cat that saved the kid from the doggie??

I've always been intrigued by the Fantasia's. I knew the owners of this one and while the owner built dodger served a function it doesn't help the lines of this great boat...could also qualify for the too much junk in the trunk thread...

moored1.JPG

I nominate this boat. It's a candidate for a bunch of threads here but, while not technically a dodger, the gazebo like structure aft landed it here. Supposedly a Bruce Roberts design based on Slocum's Spray. I think Mr. Slocum is spinning in his grave at around 12,000 rpm.

main.jpg

Lovely yellow propane bottle. Stern rake is barge like, matches dodger. Must be easier to walk up there now, to tend to that sail cover.

Steam

OT kinda

Lee Valley has a well deserved reputation for fine tools and quality hardware...HOWEVER, this does not carry over to their "trinkets" division. They are not bad, but not exceptional.

Since participants in this thread are connoisseurs of dodgers, I thought I would ask for opinions on a new dodger. My boat is a dark flag blue, and I am going to replace my canvas this winter and want a new color. I currently have a ocean blue which I cant stand. I was trying to decide between a dark blue or a light cream/gray. I was wondering the pros and cons of each? Which color do you think would look better? I like them both. Cant decide.

1980-Cal-39-Mark-II_2313_6.jpg

vs.

New+dodger+4.JPG

Here is my current color. Matching the dinghy cover might be nice, or going darker.

10665841_10153175979629251_5570799958624

Dark blue - those greys & creams look washed out at best and dirty & faded out at worst, even when new. Bland is seldom good.

Go for Navy blue - Captains Navy is the Sunbrella name IIRC.

Great looking boat by the way.

Dark blue - those greys & creams look washed out at best and dirty & faded out at worst, even when new. Bland is seldom good.

Thank you. She has real nice lines.

I am kinda leaning towards the dark blue, but wondered if its gonna feel hot under that dodger and the bimini I am thinking of adding. But, I realize lighter colors are going to get dirty pretty fast. Thanks for the tip on the color name. So many shades to choose from.

P1010209.JPG

Anybody else think this looks a little incongruous?

That's the bastard child of an IMOCA and a space shuttle.

I am kinda leaning towards the dark blue, but wondered if its gonna feel hot under that dodger and the bimini I am thinking of adding. But, I realize lighter colors are going to get dirty pretty fast. Thanks for the tip on the color name. So many shades to choose from.

The heat is one thing. But with that pretty blue hull, I would try to avoid the suit made from two bolts of cloth look where the shade of blue is just off.

Maui,

I have a dark blue hull as well and have a light tan canvas that I think compliments the blue.

post-420-0-48922300-1411037435_thumb.jpg

Change the hull line to gold if you go tan might help or the nonskid too.

This is S's Dodger. I made it all by myself! :)

and it shows. This was iteration 3. It's based off the original dodger. Last year it was droopy and flimsy and just plain bad.

post-4721-0-99118400-1411050592_thumb.jpg

I took it home and improved some of the seams. Now it's not droopy, but the crappy sewing job I did shows. Iteration 4 will be done this winter (hopefully)

Nevermind the bimini, that's a test. It's going to be a bit different once I get done with it.

post-4721-0-76732500-1411050648_thumb.jpg

A friend has Navy canvas and it never gets hot under it.

We had beige canvas + 2 kids on our previous boat. Over the 12 years we owned the boat we never had issues with it looking dirty.

post-37611-0-87240200-1411065561_thumb.jpg

Well I spotted this in Secret Harbor.Grenada last week.

I am sure somebody will tell me why they did this.

post-46472-0-14467000-1411082836_thumb.jpg

Well I spotted this in Secret Harbor.Grenada last week.

I am sure somebody will tell me why they did this.

Because I believe that may be one of those Gulfstar hulls that they used for both a 'Sailboat'. AND a Trawler, perhaps?

:-)

This is S's Dodger. I made it all by myself! :)

and it shows. This was iteration 3. It's based off the original dodger. Last year it was droopy and flimsy and just plain bad.

attachicon.gif964035_10200145130410374_1897076393_o1.jpg

I took it home and improved some of the seams. Now it's not droopy, but the crappy sewing job I did shows. Iteration 4 will be done this winter (hopefully)

Nevermind the bimini, that's a test. It's going to be a bit different once I get done with it.

attachicon.gifWP_20140720_015.jpg

I'm finding it hard to figure out how this dodger is supposed to fold down. Now I'm suddenly thinking, why worry so much about how to fold it?

I've been thinking some time now on how to construct a dodger for Alpha, but am struggling with finding a shape/concept that provides a decent amount of protection and headroom while not obstructing the companionway when folded.

So does a dodger actually really need to be easily foldable?

Now here is one fugley boat with a even fuglier dodger ! Hey wait..........that's my ...... how in the hell did that..... now where is that bleepen delete button .....oh shi.............

005_zpsbdd18057.jpg

Now here is one fugley boat with a even fuglier dodger ! Hey wait..........that's my ...... how in the hell did that..... now where is that bleepen delete button .....oh shi.............

005_zpsbdd18057.jpg

That's a boat one can be proud of, no matter ANYONE'S opinion of the hull design ;)

I wish mine looked that good.

Okay I'll bite since we're mixing Archers and Dodgers. Here is the crew just finishing up. Ignore the rest of the canvas. The gallows canvas is my own creation, still WIP.

IMG_4739.jpg

Our solution to the ugly dodger was to get a boat without a dodger. I wish the French could do canvas work, they suck at it! We would have loved for them to make us a bimini for the boat because that tropical sun just eats away at your brain.

cheers

post-57441-0-64890400-1411587984_thumb.jpg

How to ruin a nice Peterson:

py835LZ.jpg

I can't even explain what is going on there. Is it an enclosed pod for one helms person?

From http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/bod/4673756336.html and http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/pl_boat_full_detail.jsp?slim=broker&boat_id=2745818

We don't get any photos of the interior velvet.

Hey, the boat is called Ladyhawk - what do you want?

Looks like they picked up a used dodger for a cheap driver pod instead of paying $$$$$ for a custom full enclosure.

How to ruin a nice Peterson:

py835LZ.jpg

I can't even explain what is going on there. Is it an enclosed pod for one helms person?

From http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/bod/4673756336.html and http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/pl_boat_full_detail.jsp?slim=broker&boat_id=2745818

We don't get any photos of the interior velvet.

LMFAO! Yeah, that's a Singlehander's Dream, alright - what marvelous access to the primary winches, and mainsheet/traveler, eh?

I hope one of the jerry cans that probably line the side decks of that thing is filled with Rain-X...

Unfuckingbelievable...

Looks like a nice boat otherwise and that wart would be simple to remove and return to the consignment shop. Might make enough money to pay for a new vinyl name graphic.

Ladyhawk - what a pukey, trite name. A few years ago there were two boats with that name a few berths apart in my marina and a third a few hundred yards away, around the corner at a private dock. Almost as imaginative as "The Office"

We saw this come motoring into Blakely Harbor when we were visiting Kim. IMG_9431.JPG

And the other end.

IMG_9428.JPG

I didn't hate it. You be the judge, either of the boat or my own sense of aesthetics.

What kind of boat is that? Take the dodger away and the boat looks nice.

I believe that is either a Passport 43 or a Slocum, same design with different rudder post rakes. I don't much care for that hard dodger but I am not running for the eye bleach.

Thanks Bob,

I thought the hull shape looked like that, but I did not know it was ever made in a center cockpit. Did Stan Huntingford work for you?

I thought maybe it was a Tanton design since I just recently discovered some of his double Enders. There seem to be a few unique iterations of his 42-44' er's around.

Cheers,

T

T;

No, Stan is dead now and was about 20 years older than I as far as I know. I never met the man. I liked some of his work.

I was never aware of a CC version of either of those boats either. But looking at the photos the aft cabin structure looks a bit hand hewn to my eye sop it may have been an owner mod. Those damn owners!

I wouldn't lump that one in with most of the other eyesores on this thread. It gives the boat a bit of that North Sea motorsailer look. Not my taste but not that badly done either.

Bet it looks pretty good starting soon around here.

I understand and appreciate the utility, and maybe stupid question, but is there any other kind of dodger besides ugly? Some are less ugly than others, but I've never seen one that didn't look like an afterthought.

I understand and appreciate the utility, and maybe stupid question, but is there any other kind of dodger besides ugly? Some are less ugly than others, but I've never seen one that didn't look like an afterthought.

Look up some pictures of the cockpit of the old Rhodes "Thunderhead" - it's got possibly the coolest ever fixed dodger.

It can be done but you are pretty well correct in 99% of the cases out there. Convertibles usually look better with the top down too.

This one?

thunderhead.jpg

Do you mean that little pilothouse? Actually it's pretty big. That's a 50 foot boat. It's beautiful!

Or do you mean that canvas and plastic bit in front of the pilothouse? Looks like just another ugly dodger to me.

I do realize they look much nicer from the inside, especially on a cold blustery day!

This one?

thunderhead.jpg

Do you mean that little pilothouse? Actually it's pretty big. That's a 50 foot boat. It's beautiful!

Or do you mean that canvas and plastic bit in front of the pilothouse? Looks like just another ugly dodger to me.

I do realize they look much nicer from the inside, especially on a cold blustery day!

That's it but it's not a little pilothouse, it's a sunken cockpit behind a hard dodger. It has a big opening port down in it that opens into the galley so hot coffee etc. can be passed through to the deck watch.

You need to see a view from aft of it to get the picture - sorry I don't have one to attach.

It's what I call a spray dodger. I hate looking "through" a dodger of any kind but that's just me. I have the same set up, albeit, a lot lower profile on mine. no forward window either just the side ones for light etc. And yes, there great for just protection if you are just going below for a short bit or in the galley. Mine is designed that you don't have to shut up the boat if it's raining. Sitting on top stair using the remote auto helm if passaging under motor. I've seen them on boats like a few SC 50's etc that have separate companionways above the galley. Let's air in when it's hot and wet. Mine is up all the time and great for at anchor. I'll see if I have a pic of it somewhere.

Here's a little better view - note the relative height of the wheel - that's the split level cockpit.

post-95343-0-25750800-1413071454_thumb.jpg

CBjalrHl.jpg

I think that's a tarp, not a dodger but that's O/K, the boat more than makes up for it.

Ugly enough.. :)

Here's a little better view - note the relative height of the wheel - that's the split level cockpit.

attachicon.gifDodger.jpg

Another view

post-73001-0-52372600-1413674483_thumb.jpg

This one?

thunderhead.jpg

Hard to sustain an argument that the hard dodger is ugly in the face of this sistership built in aluminium by McMullen & Wing.

post-73001-0-28759000-1413675223_thumb.jpg

This one?

thunderhead.jpg

I'll concede the midships dodger is ugly. The ugliness is reduced by the presence of a nice wooden dingy beside it sitting almost as high. But the boat looks much better with both gone. Concessions to practicality I guess. The boat has two companionways - one through the pilot house and the second is the one midships protected in this example by the soft dodger. (Photos below of aluminium sistership.)

post-73001-0-40489600-1413676245_thumb.jpg

The original wood one doesn't have the companionway under the hard dodger - only a pass through for food & drink from the galley. Looks like you'd have to crawl in & out on the alloy version.

Sure would be the best seat in the house in bad weather though.

And McMullen's version's canvas extension gives two best seats.

post-73001-0-29664900-1413685406_thumb.jpg

Hemp Bike, did Charlie sell yet?

Not sure. I don't know Charlie but I know a bit of the boat's history. I keep getting drawn to Cicero as I've see her advertised for sale but she's not quite right for my program. Perfect for Fijordland, a dash across the South Pacific to Patagonia, and any high latitude cruising ground. Cicero's been listed at Busfield Marine for a while now but they took the listing down a few days ago. I hope she has sold - it'll stop me getting sidetracked and tempted; and the boat deserves to be out cruising again.

This thread is over a year old and has nearly 300 postings - all in the search for a non-ugly dodger. Nearly all experienced cruisers demand a dodger. It appears that Cicero and her sistership Thunderhead may be the only boats to achieve it prettily.

This thread is over a year old and has nearly 300 postings - all in the search for a non-ugly dodger. Nearly all experienced cruisers demand a dodger. It appears that Cicero and her sistership Thunderhead may be the only boats to achieve it prettily.

Hasn't the search been for ugly dodgers?

Is the difference between ugly and nice dodger whether it is minimal with some protection to seating and companionway rather than morphing into a bimini? It seems to me most of the ugly ones are too tall to keep nice lines.

H B There's another 'Thunderhead" sister in Newport Beach with a slightly more accessible companionway.

How's this for a cockpit arrangement. In a shed up the road from you in Matakana

post-25637-0-52261400-1413837332_thumb.jpg

He did, the boat is in the Tamaki now.

<Snip>

How's this for a cockpit arrangement. In a shed up the road from you in Matakana

Like it!

post-73001-0-94799500-1414024429_thumb.jpg

I know I triggered it by mentioning Thunderhead but this thread is turning into the "Cool dodger" thread

Stop it!

I know I triggered it by mentioning Thunderhead but this thread is turning into the "Cool dodger" thread

Stop it!

Yah but..... Do we need a new Cool Dodger thread??? Or can we just 'dodge' that and keep some good ones here?

Let's refocus s bit. I wonder if this one is designed by an ex tank driver.

splash.06.jpg

Maybe a Gay tank driver - purple canvas???

I think that's a white balance problem rather than purple.

He clearly doesn't have much use for his traveller controls.

Oh this should have a mention on a Garden 34'.

post-72500-0-97297400-1414147789_thumb.jpg

I think that's a white balance problem rather than purple.

He clearly doesn't have much use for his traveller controls.

Probably a Husky who never goes out of Lake Warshington.

I guess the DODGER isn't bad, but ...

2014_11_24_12_06_57.jpg

Was it made like that so a professional basketball player could fit underneath it while standing on the afterdeck?

If we're going Beyond the Fringe, I'd rather settle for the green, the Lincoln green.

Shocking mauve to you!

I guess the DODGER isn't bad, but ...

2014_11_24_12_06_57.jpg

Was it made like that so a professional basketball player could fit underneath it while standing on the afterdeck?

No no no. It's a reversing sail for backing into your slip.

fugly but functional

swirly world's lexan slabs

andrew-fagan-swirly-world-tvnz.jpg

Andrew Fagan is a nice guy, came racing with us once. He sailed the swirly world to the Auckland islands from memory. Heinous dodger though.

Isn't that a MacGregor?

Could have bought a nicer boat for what that oxygen tent cost.