py26129

Ugly dodger collection

We have the Ugly Boat Admiration society and the Cool Dodger thread. Finding the pic below finally pushed me over the edge.

The boat's not ugly and the dodger is definitely not cool so lets criticise and ridicule to our heart's content.

O Day 37

post-37611-0-61284100-1386691607_thumb.jpg

Now, imagine that same concept on a boat 10-feet shorter... I snapped this one while on a dock-walk as a warning to myself. This is what a standing-height dodger looks like on an Ericson 27.

e27dodger_zpsff2669e5.jpg

I don't know the brand, but there's a whole bunch of this style of hard dodger up in the Vancouver, BC area. On a Catalina 42, which is otherwise a somewhat graceful boat, this thing sticks up like a tumor. Function? Sure. Form? Fuck it.

4425085_20130819120115243_3_XLARGE.jpg&w

4425085_20131105135909974_1_XLARGE.jpg&w

Here's another Canadian abomination of the softer variety:

4346272_20131118161823400_1_XLARGE.jpg&w

I don't know the brand, but there's a whole bunch of this style of hard dodger up in the Vancouver, BC area. On a Catalina 42, which is otherwise a somewhat graceful boat, this thing sticks up like a tumor. Function? Sure. Form? Fuck it.

4425085_20131105135909974_1_XLARGE.jpg&w

Do these people think we are blind? Some of the billboards on boats are just unbelievable.

That's why they're called oxygen tents. The owners ages usually contribute a bit to that moniker as well.

That's why they're called oxygen tents. The owners ages usually contribute a bit to that moniker as well.

From a distance, that dodger mercifully almost disappears. However, I was actually talking about the name on the side. It would have to go some to match the total lack of taste on the Scott's Hanse 411, though.

Show002.gif

[/hijack]

We saw this come motoring into Blakely Harbor when we were visiting Kim. IMG_9431.JPG

And the other end.

IMG_9428.JPG

I didn't hate it. You be the judge, either of the boat or my own sense of aesthetics.

That one isn't bad at all. Sure would be nice around here in the off season.

At what point does a dodger become a pilot house? I think this is close.

We saw this come motoring into Blakely Harbor when we were visiting Kim. IMG_9431.JPG

And the other end.

IMG_9428.JPG

I didn't hate it. You be the judge, either of the boat or my own sense of aesthetics.

And the other end.

IMG_9428.JPG

Probably taken from a Maple Leaf 42 I'll wager. With the windshield and the 42 hardtop is very similar. Good liveaboard with that set up. Friends had one at Westview marina on the south side. Too much windage for me.

Now, imagine that same concept on a boat 10-feet shorter... I snapped this one while on a dock-walk as a warning to myself. This is what a standing-height dodger looks like on an Ericson 27.

e27dodger_zpsff2669e5.jpg

The poor boat looks like someone glued on a handle to make haulout easier.

And the other end.

IMG_9428.JPG

When it has an aft bulkhead and a door.

Wow, this thread really fizzled after an extremely strong start.

The O'Day 37 with the battleship house is pretty funny and that Ericson 27 is completely over the (hard) top.

The Catalina 42 enclosure is nice. The full enclosure on the smaller Catalina actually includes a decent dodger, it just goes too far.

That dodger on Legacy is not the best looking one I have ever seen, but really doesn't belong in the same thread with the Ericson abomination.

A pop-top enclosure on a MacGregor is not really a dodger.

The world can't really be this short on ugly dodgers???

The guy who put the house on the Ericson should be punched in his babymakers. He fucked up a nice boat.

The dodger on my old Ranger was pretty awful - although not a bad effort for a home-made from scratch project by the PO's wife. I lowered the thing by about 40% when I replaced it.post-257-0-04184100-1386870695_thumb.jpg

post-257-0-30932300-1386870774_thumb.jpg

The guy who put the house on the Ericson should be punched in his babymakers. He fucked up a nice boat.

Naw, it just needs a horizontal stripe.

Like the one the same clown original thinker painted on the cabin trunk.

FB- Doug

Here is another fine example of a Hard Dodger on an Ontario 28, a C&C design

4422324_20130726111504304_1_LARGE.jpg

^ That photo looks distorted (stretched vertically). I assume that was done on purpose. :)

Thanks for this thread - amusing and educational.

Here is a better pic. I goofed while posting the previous pic. It seems that the brokerages in Toronto are fertile ugly dodger ground.

...It seems that the brokerages in Toronto are fertile ugly dodger ground.

It's not just Toronto. I just did an advanced search in Yachtworld: all used Canadian sailboats with the keyword "dodger".

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/cache/searchResults.jsp?cit=true&slim=quick&ybw=&sm=3&searchtype=advancedsearch&Ntk=boatsEN&Ntt=dodger&is=false&type=%28Sail%29&man=&hmid=0&ftid=0&enid=0&fromLength=&toLength=&luom=126&fromYear=&toYear=&fromPrice=&toPrice=&currencyid=100&city=&cint=101&pbsint=&boatsAddedSelected=-1

I got 110 hits and a cursory examination is all it takes to validate and expand your hypothesis. Thread over, drop the mic.

How about the center cockpit dodger/enclosure on this Hardin 45?

Anachortes_2091210_1.jpg

I didn't think she was ugly. We wanted to buy her.

Naw, it just needs a horizontal stripe.

Like the one the same clown original thinker painted on the cabin trunk.

FB- Doug

Well, to be fair, I saw that in the west basin at astoria. If that guy actually crosses the Columbia Bar every time he goes out, one might forgive a certain amount of function over form.

If, um... that's what it is.

Anachortes_2091210_1.jpg

I'm not a fan of the Hardins but as a liveaboard, I could see how she'd be a good candidate. I think you ended up with a much better alternative from both the aesthetic and functional points of view.

Here is a better pic. I goofed while posting the previous pic. It seems that the brokerages in Toronto are fertile ugly dodger ground.

Looks like it's designed to funnel water down the back of your neck.

Anachortes_2091210_1.jpg

I'm not a fan of the Hardins but as a liveaboard, I could see how she'd be a good candidate. I think you ended up with a much better alternative from both the aesthetic and functional points of view.

Black, you totally got the better boat. Come on man, that thing has so much sheer, that it looks hogged!

There is such a thing as "too much of a good thing".

Dumb Question, how do you sail with the enclusure on the Hardin? Unless the main is cut funny, it looke likt the first tack / gype would sweep it right off the boat.

Py, the topping lifts in the picture are non-adjustable.

Look closely at the Hardin.

Look at the mainmast.

Look at the cap shproud and where it hits the chainplate.

Now look at the portlight directly below the chainplate.

Interesting.

I went to this yard in Taiwan. It was owned at that time by T.C.Huang a wealthy Taipei attorney. He wanted his so and daughter to run the yard. Son and daughter wanted nothing to do with the yard.

I became friends with the family. It got kind of bizarre in time. I'll save those stories for later. They are all noted in detail in my journals. Unfortnately I haven't seen my journals in over 4 years. I hid them and now I can't find them.

Bob, I think you're seeing the lifeline stanchion. It looks to me like the cap shroud lands forward of that portlight.

Not sure Figgers. This boat had forward and aft lowers so I think you may be seeing the forward lower.

But, I did have the chance to view this problem while being at the yard and my advice was sought. Pretty certain I did not invent that.

2013-02-01_17-40-24_861.jpg

That's not a bad little dodger and connector panels look funny but can be nice.

You saw the Ericson, right? That one doesn't belong in the same thread.

It's not just Toronto. I just did an advanced search in Yachtworld: all used Canadian sailboats with the keyword "dodger".

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/cache/searchResults.jsp?cit=true&slim=quick&ybw=&sm=3&searchtype=advancedsearch&Ntk=boatsEN&Ntt=dodger&is=false&type=%28Sail%29&man=&hmid=0&ftid=0&enid=0&fromLength=&toLength=&luom=126&fromYear=&toYear=&fromPrice=&toPrice=&currencyid=100&city=&cint=101&pbsint=&boatsAddedSelected=-1

I got 110 hits and a cursory examination is all it takes to validate and expand your hypothesis. Thread over, drop the mic.

*looks down at the mic and snickers* Best get to steppin' Papa Doc, because when I search just the US West Coast, I get 159, including this: http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1976/Clipper-Marine-30-2499951/Portland/OR/United-States#.UquHcNLulaY4017816_20130309111403625_1_XLARGE.jpg&w

So damn ugly they printed it backward, hoping it looked better.

Peace out.

*kicks the mic into the roaring crowd*

2013-02-01_17-40-24_861.jpg

Guy's been hanging out with too many Hunter owners.

*looks down at the mic and snickers* Best get to steppin' Papa Doc, because when I search just the US West Coast, I get 159, including this: http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1976/Clipper-Marine-30-2499951/Portland/OR/United-States#.UquHcNLulaY4017816_20130309111403625_1_XLARGE.jpg&w

Peace out.

You kidding me? The dodger's the only thing keeping that transom in check!

I like big butts, I cannot lie. But GawwwDAYum! Some shit is just plain wrong as fuck.

4017816_20130309111403625_1_XLARGE.jpg&w

Peace out.

You kidding me? The dodger's the only thing keeping that transom in check!

Hard to believe that Crealock designed that boat isn't it? Oh well, even Garden had his off days.

There is one of those on my dock, the guy lives on it with the biggest german shepard I have ever seen. It is covered with stuff and goes out a lot, during crabbing season I have seen up to 12 pots stacked on deck.

This one may not fall into the Appallingly Ugly category, but...

C'mon, slapping a sawed-off center console aluminum T-top onto a Bristol Channel Cutter - that's just plain WRONG...

BCCteetop.jpg

The owner of that BCC should have his boat seized for doing that to it. If you're unwilling to get cold, wet & sunburned you have no business owning a BCC.

main.jpg

I would never own that boat but overall I don't find it all that ugly and the dodger doesn't seem out of place. Now, about those sails.....

Why am I suddenly hungry for cake?

11408035213_109d62274a_o.jpg

That dodger isn't too bad. Now the boat itself, that's ugly.

Push-me Pull-You school of center cockpit design

Nothing against the boat or skipper, but man I have always found this really ugly:

325354564_640.jpg

Practical tho..

Reminds me of the cardboard boxes kids play in.

This I don't get:

Take 1 beautiful Cherubini 44

post-37611-0-26610800-1387229844_thumb.jpgpost-37611-0-33372800-1387230329_thumb.jpg

Add 1 of these:

post-37611-0-74652200-1387229880.jpg

and end up with this.

post-37611-0-57334200-1387229892_thumb.jpg

That's like having cosmetic surgery to add a wart on a beautiful woman's face!

Nothing against the boat or skipper, but man I have always found this really ugly:

325354564_640.jpg

Practical tho..

I think with a little finesse though it could be a lot nicer. Pretty functional. What's the boat?

main.jpg

I would never own that boat but overall I don't find it all that ugly and the dodger doesn't seem out of place. Now, about those sails.....

Define "all that ugly."

Doesn't sound good to me.

Personally, I think the sails are one of the best points about this boat.

FB- Doug

This one may not fall into the Appallingly Ugly category, but...

C'mon, slapping a sawed-off center console aluminum T-top onto a Bristol Channel Cutter - that's just plain WRONG...

BCCteetop.jpg

Amazing that the boat still looks beautiful.

If I'm not mistaken, that's Phil Rhodes you're insulting.

main.jpg

Define "all that ugly."

FB- Doug

I believe the interior is the best point of those things. Simply a rehash of the old Columbia 45.

If I'm not mistaken, that's Phil Rhodes you're insulting.

That is correct. They are apparently very nice people and they love their boat and yes, it's not the prettiest girl at the ball. I think I posted this a long time ago in the uglyboat thread and had some vituperation sent my way...

325354564_640.jpg

Practical tho..

I think with a little finesse though it could be a lot nicer. Pretty functional. What's the boat?

I believe that's the green Moore 24 Ronnie Simpson sailed in the last Singlehanded Transpac. And yes, the dodger-box was rather agricultural.

As for the Truncated T-top on the Bristol Channel cutter, it may be out-of-context but in the tropics that lid would seem brilliant.

And another one...

It appears that even mother nature wants that one gone.

main.jpg

Define "all that ugly."

FB- Doug

I believe the interior is the best point of those things. Simply a rehash of the old Columbia 45.

You're right. From inside, you can't see any of the outside of it and you can turn up the stereo to drown out the cries of derision from onlookers.

FB- Doug

hey, that boat was in my club. ugly as fuck and the owner is a bit of a dick.

I'd be grumpy too, if my boat looked like that.

I'd be grumpy too, if my boat looked like that.

he did it him self. he was told not to, was told it would look like shit. then when he insisted, was offered good advice from people who know. did not want any part of it.

this photo just shows the shit design, build quality is along the same lines. he totally fucked it.

when i say he was a bit of a dick, i may be understating things.

B-

You just can't help some people. :)

hey, that boat was in my club. ugly as fuck and the owner is a bit of a dick.

I find it hard to believe that a dick would put such a jaunty hat on his boat.

He's got a nice array of COTB. Plentiful power and wind steering are nice things as is the ubiquitous Magnum grill.

It had never occurred to me to just put the stove in a wooden box on top of the cushions. Good thing there's a fire extinguisher tucked behind the thing most likely to catch fire.

00K0K_6BciVdHtDJa_600x450.jpg

That's not a stern extension, that's a balcony!

The dodger itself is not ugly or really remarkable in any way.

I don't think we have a thread for that boat.

I'm not sure one is needed, though I would like to see video of the boat running in steep seas.

I love the SCAMP and like this upgrade.

But it's kinda ugly.

9401_654068027965405_1314440697_n.jpg

The "portholes / windows" in the canvas remind me of one of these.

tarsier_nocturnal_animals.jpg

I love the SCAMP and like this upgrade.

But it's kinda ugly.

9401_654068027965405_1314440697_n.jpg

The "portholes / windows" in the canvas remind me of one of these.

tarsier_nocturnal_animals.jpg

Looks to me like a stoned ghost humping an Optimist pram.

Unfortunately not even Google Images can help me provide another image of that

FB- Doug

This I don't get:

Take 1 beautiful Cherubini 44

attachicon.gifCherubini 44.jpgattachicon.gif44_1.jpg

Add 1 of these:

attachicon.gifCher 2.jpg

and end up with this.

attachicon.gifCher 3.jpg

That's like having cosmetic surgery to add a wart on a beautiful woman's face!

if it wasn't such a beautiful boat to begin with I might not have an issue with it, god those cherubini 44's are pretty.

That one is just badly done. There have been lots of hard dodgers much like it (but better designed) on that type of boat and they can look very good. Check out Phil Rhodes if you don't believe me.

The Cherub's are gorgeous - If I had a spare $750K lying around I'd have mine as a stays'l schooner.

"Looks to me like a stoned ghost humping an Optimist pram."

+1000 FB

I like that pram. All the features work well together to my eye.

And,,,the next time someone says a Rhodes design is ugly I'm going to have to do some serious ass whoopin. I'll tell you what to like! You have to put that design into a time context and look at what it was supposed to accomplish. Or you can ignore that but that would be like saying " I don't like symphony orchestras, all those violins wreck it."

I find the Rhodes MS a handsome example of a type that Rhodes drew several variations on.

And,,,the next time someone says a Rhodes design is ugly I'm going to have to do some serious ass whoopin. I'll tell you what to like! You have to put that design into a time context and look at what it was supposed to accomplish. Or you can ignore that but that would be like saying " I don't like symphony orchestras, all those violins wreck it."

I find the Rhodes MS a handsome example of a type that Rhodes drew several variations on.

Right behind you on that Bob. Rhodes died right about the time I got interested in boats but I've got Henderson's book on his work. I've read it several times and I've never found an ugly, or even "iffy" line in it.

To my mind he was THE master of sheerlines - even better than Stephens. It would be interesting to see how those two would handle modern, slight sheers instead of the swoopy, voluptuous ones they did in those days.

Probably really well - when you're good, you're good.

Jon:

I'm with you on Rhodes.

If pressed I very well might say that CARINA was my favorite boat of all time. When I was 15 years old I saw a copy of POPULAR BOATING and on the cover was a photo of the Chespeake 32. It was like I was struck by lightening. I knew that this was what I wanted to do.

That greenhouse is pretty ugly but it would be great around here in the winter. Maybe some quick disconnect fittings so you could take it off in the spring?

Kinda ugly, really badass tho...

1512610_791062824244593_924168715_n.jpg

1521689_791064417577767_1621642414_n.jpg

11501_806639412686934_793455664_n.jpg

Anyone know anything about the boat?

That looks like the boat a couple of friends of mine did Cape Horn on, Spirit of Sydney, a 60ft sloop in 2005. It was built as a single handed round the world racer.

A photo of my friend at the wheel:

mar_at_wheel_scale.jpg

Spirit of Sydney was designed by Ben Lexcen and launched by the then Prime Minister of Australia, Bob Hawke in the euphoric era following Australia’s history breaking win of the America’s Cup with the Ben Lexcen designed Australia 2 and its famous winged keel. Ian Kiernan sailed Spirit solo around the world in the 1986 BOC Challenge and to his credit achieved 4th place against much lighter high tech yachts, probably aided by the fact that his “landrover of the sea” suffered no structural failures and is a well balanced ‘sweet’ yacht that handles well under auto pilot.

Spirit was designed and built in an era when good racing performance was tempered by respect for the power of the mighty southern ocean. Consequently she is a strong and powerful yacht with excellent all round sailing ability and her tough aluminium construction and watertight bulkheads have given her a useful second life as an Antarctic Expedition yacht. She is an ocean greyhound with long clean lines and flared bow sections for surfing the big rollers of the southern ocean, offering an exhilarating experience for guests and crew alike.

Link to the boat's website: http://www.spiritofsydney.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=15&Itemid=36