• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
oioi

New imoca boats

Yes. She is already sold to a German guy. Known name... mhhh... famous, but I do not remember in this moment.

Yes. She is already sold to a German guy. Known name... mhhh... famous, but I do not remember in this moment.

Not sure if that is correct. Edr was however sold to Boris Hermann. Haven't heard about any other Germans involved in this kind of racing

Jörg Riechers is the other German in IMOCA sailing. Did the 2014/15 BWR, previous VG campaigns ran out of money. The mods done to the boat (new max volume front half) seemed to work out for JLC.

AFAIK currently doing Class40 stuff. Certainly no "bought a boat" news that I could find.

Not sure if that is correct. Edr was however sold to Boris Hermann. Haven't heard about any other Germans involved in this kind of racing

You are correct. I mixed the boats in my mind.

Jörg Riechers is the other German in IMOCA sailing. Did the 2014/15 BWR, previous VG campaigns ran out of money. The mods done to the boat (new max volume front half) seemed to work out for JLC.

AFAIK currently doing Class40 stuff. Certainly no "bought a boat" news that I could find.

I thought Jonas was making a dig.

A bit of a lazy answer from me. Wasn't meant as an insult. Anyhow will be interesting to see what will happen to Morgan's campaign and the boat for that matter.

A bit of a lazy answer from me. Wasn't meant as an insult. Anyhow will be interesting to see what will happen to Morgan's campaign and the boat for that matter.

The boat belongs to Safran and should probably be sold to the highest bidder.

Morgan was an "employee", is he going to be hired by somebody else ? Debatable.

I wonder how modified the current foilers will be for the next edition of the Vendee Globe?

I guess that most of the teams wonder about that too !

Yes, he did suffer a lot from technical problems, so he can't rely too much on previous results, when looking for a new partner. However, I don't think we have to wait too long before the boat finds a new owner. Not many latest gen boats for sale

Saw a post on FB about Morgan potentially signing with a new team for the upcoming quadrennial.

Check that, Scanvoile, Morgan looking to join Rolan Jourdain's team

http://www.scanvoile.com/2017/02/sponsoring-morgan-lagraviere-reve-du.html?utm_content=buffer7fa5b&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer#.WJStyBsrI2y

HW

I wonder how modified the current foilers will be for the next edition of the Vendee Globe?

Saw a post on FB about Morgan potentially signing with a new team for the upcoming quadrennial.

Check that, Scanvoile, Morgan looking to join Rolan Jourdain's team

http://www.scanvoile.com/2017/02/sponsoring-morgan-lagraviere-reve-du.html?utm_content=buffer7fa5b&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer#.WJStyBsrI2y

HW

Jourdain's company had been hired by Safran to run the show, when they disposed of Guillemot, so both are without a sponsor, now..

Excellent analysis/summary of the current Imoca's fate in the latest delivery by http://www.tipandshaft.com , who phoned most of the teams.

Abstract:

Negociations have started several weeks ahead of the VG start. Something which has never been seen before, usually the weeks following the VG are very quiet.
  • Banque Populaire VIII : The sale of the winning VPLP design to Louis Burton & Bureau Vallée has been publicised few days before the start. As it is the case for all boats which entered the VG, the sale is conditional to a full survey to take place in the next few days.
  • Edmond de Rotschild : Tne sale of Seb Josse's VPLP-Verdier to Boris Hermann is official since early January.
  • Maître Coq : ex Banque Populaire VII, is being sold to Tanguy de Lamotte. "We have signed a letter of intent and are waiting for the survey" confirmed the skipper who also told that the current Initiatives Coeur (Farr modified by VPLP/Verdier) was under a sales agreement with a skipper who wants to remain anonymous for now. [MF edit: it would seem that the de Lamotte would happen under the umbrella of JP Dick's company Absolute Dreamer]
  • Quéguiner-Leucémie Espoir : formerly Safran (the earliest VPLP-Verdier design) was attracting a lot of interest and Alain Gautier through his "Lanic Sport Développement" company, has secured the buying option. The yacht shall enter the TJV with a duo to be determined and negociations are running with a potential sponsor. The yacht shall also be used in the "incentive" day-chartering program run in Lorient. [ MF edit: dock rumours talk of a well known mini and Figaro racer and a long standing Figaro sponsor]
  • No way back : The latest VPLP-Verdier foiler is not officially for sale but many offers have been put up. Pieter Heerema, free of any contractual or financial constraint has not yet made any decision for the future 'Everything is possible, one way of the other" tells project manager Antoine Mermod.
  • Safran : the VPLP-Verdier foiler shall be sold on the end of the contract with Morgan Lagravière which shall end in June. Roland Jourdain told "Tip&Shaft" that his company "Kairos" and Lagravière are trying to find sponsors for this.
  • Hugo Boss : Alex Thomson should enter the next Transat Jacques Vabre with his VPLP-Verdier before thinking to a potential new boat.
  • StMichel-Virbac : Jean-Pierre Dick will enter the Transat Jacques Vabre on his VPLP-Verdier foiler and shall make public in July "whether the yacht is for sale after the TJV" according to team manager Luc Talbourdet,.
  • Finistère Mer Vent : Jean Le Cam Farr design is not for sale, confirmed his wife.
  • Bureau Vallée : formerly Jérémie Beyou's Delta Dore (Farr design) is for sale and enquiries have been made. No decision made yet, though, according to Servane Escoffier.
  • Comm un seul homme : Eric Bellion's Finot-Conq, is not for sale says Press-officer.
  • La Mie Câline : Arnaud Boissières' Farr Design is not for sale, skipper-owner is entering the TJV.
  • Great American IV : Rich Wilson's Owen-Clarke ex Mirabaud is for sale.
  • SMA : Paul Meilhat being under contract to SMA till the 2018 RDR, project manager Marcus Hutchinson says that the yacht is not for sale [ MF edit: right or wrong, dock buzz keeps mentioning a new boat)
  • PRB : Vincent Riou and PRB are revising their options, the orange VPLP-Verdier design is not for sale says PR officer.
  • MACSF : Bertrand de Broc is under contract with his sponsor till December and the Fnot-Conq design is not officially for sale. Yet he told "Tip&Shaft" that he is "in expectation" , and is quite open to interesting proposals.
  • Kilcullen Voyager-Team Ireland : Enda O'Coineen's Owen-Clarke design, currently being loaded in Christchurch (NZ) on the same boat as SMA, has been raising interest but nothing is done according to Marcus Hutchinson, who is helping the Irish project.
  • Le Souffle du Nord pour Imagine : ex Groupe Bel (VPLP-Verdier), badly damaged in the Pacific Oean and saved by Thomas Ruyant, will be subject to a survey in New Zealand in the coming weeks, following which it will be repaired there or shipped to France. The yacht's planning depends on the re-build planning but "we are listening to any proposal" told "Tip&Shaft" project managerSylvain Derreumaux.
  • Compagnie du Lit-Boulogne-Billancourt : Stéphane Le Diraison's Finot-Conq is not for sale currently, as the skipper believes that he has "strong chances to be able to enter in the TJV". Still he remains "open to potential evolutions" he pointed out to "Tip&&Shaft".
  • Newrest-Matmut : Fabrice Amedeo, still at sea, told "Tip & Shaft" that he would put his Farr design up for sale at the end of next year's Route du Rhum.

So: if you have a deep wallet and guts ......

Price cutting . Some price pressure in the imoca class, so VPLP is cooperating with the yard CDK to build three boats based on the old BP design.  Seems like this is a way to get more competitive boats to smaller teams

On 15-9-2017 at 9:25 AM, jonas a said:

Price cutting . Some price pressure in the imoca class, so VPLP is cooperating with the yard CDK to build three boats based on the old BP design.  Seems like this is a way to get more competitive boats to smaller teams

If I was part of a smaller team I would try to buy this submarine:
59df36d7084ff_Safransubmersible.PNG.153dabde16206d083c80a63f702e3177.PNG

It's Safran, I guess Morgan Lagraviere et Roland Jourdain will buy a new one in the Transat 2020.
Starting 8 november in le Havre.
They say the following: Amis Sponsors embarquez avec nous!
which means they are looking for a friendly sponsor. 
Source: https://www.vendeeglobe.org/fr/actualites/19220/12-duos-pour-une-transat

image-c-1180-664.jpg

On 04/02/2017 at 12:07 PM, moody frog said:

Excellent analysis/summary of the current Imoca's fate in the latest delivery by http://www.tipandshaft.com , who phoned most of the teams.

Abstract:

Negociations have started several weeks ahead of the VG start. Something which has never been seen before, usually the weeks following the VG are very quiet.
  • Banque Populaire VIII : The sale of the winning VPLP design to Louis Burton & Bureau Vallée has been publicised few days before the start. As it is the case for all boats which entered the VG, the sale is conditional to a full survey to take place in the next few days.
  • Edmond de Rotschild : Tne sale of Seb Josse's VPLP-Verdier to Boris Hermann is official since early January.
  • Maître Coq : ex Banque Populaire VII, is being sold to Tanguy de Lamotte. "We have signed a letter of intent and are waiting for the survey" confirmed the skipper who also told that the current Initiatives Coeur (Farr modified by VPLP/Verdier) was under a sales agreement with a skipper who wants to remain anonymous for now. [MF edit: it would seem that the de Lamotte would happen under the umbrella of JP Dick's company Absolute Dreamer]
  • Quéguiner-Leucémie Espoir : formerly Safran (the earliest VPLP-Verdier design) was attracting a lot of interest and Alain Gautier through his "Lanic Sport Développement" company, has secured the buying option. The yacht shall enter the TJV with a duo to be determined and negociations are running with a potential sponsor. The yacht shall also be used in the "incentive" day-chartering program run in Lorient. [ MF edit: dock rumours talk of a well known mini and Figaro racer and a long standing Figaro sponsor]
  • No way back : The latest VPLP-Verdier foiler is not officially for sale but many offers have been put up. Pieter Heerema, free of any contractual or financial constraint has not yet made any decision for the future 'Everything is possible, one way of the other" tells project manager Antoine Mermod.
  • Safran : the VPLP-Verdier foiler shall be sold on the end of the contract with Morgan Lagravière which shall end in June. Roland Jourdain told "Tip&Shaft" that his company "Kairos" and Lagravière are trying to find sponsors for this.
  • Hugo Boss : Alex Thomson should enter the next Transat Jacques Vabre with his VPLP-Verdier before thinking to a potential new boat.
  • StMichel-Virbac : Jean-Pierre Dick will enter the Transat Jacques Vabre on his VPLP-Verdier foiler and shall make public in July "whether the yacht is for sale after the TJV" according to team manager Luc Talbourdet,.
  • Finistère Mer Vent : Jean Le Cam Farr design is not for sale, confirmed his wife.
  • Bureau Vallée : formerly Jérémie Beyou's Delta Dore (Farr design) is for sale and enquiries have been made. No decision made yet, though, according to Servane Escoffier.
  • Comm un seul homme : Eric Bellion's Finot-Conq, is not for sale says Press-officer.
  • La Mie Câline : Arnaud Boissières' Farr Design is not for sale, skipper-owner is entering the TJV.
  • Great American IV : Rich Wilson's Owen-Clarke ex Mirabaud is for sale.
  • SMA : Paul Meilhat being under contract to SMA till the 2018 RDR, project manager Marcus Hutchinson says that the yacht is not for sale [ MF edit: right or wrong, dock buzz keeps mentioning a new boat)
  • PRB : Vincent Riou and PRB are revising their options, the orange VPLP-Verdier design is not for sale says PR officer.
  • MACSF : Bertrand de Broc is under contract with his sponsor till December and the Fnot-Conq design is not officially for sale. Yet he told "Tip&Shaft" that he is "in expectation" , and is quite open to interesting proposals.
  • Kilcullen Voyager-Team Ireland : Enda O'Coineen's Owen-Clarke design, currently being loaded in Christchurch (NZ) on the same boat as SMA, has been raising interest but nothing is done according to Marcus Hutchinson, who is helping the Irish project.
  • Le Souffle du Nord pour Imagine : ex Groupe Bel (VPLP-Verdier), badly damaged in the Pacific Oean and saved by Thomas Ruyant, will be subject to a survey in New Zealand in the coming weeks, following which it will be repaired there or shipped to France. The yacht's planning depends on the re-build planning but "we are listening to any proposal" told "Tip&Shaft" project managerSylvain Derreumaux.
  • Compagnie du Lit-Boulogne-Billancourt : Stéphane Le Diraison's Finot-Conq is not for sale currently, as the skipper believes that he has "strong chances to be able to enter in the TJV". Still he remains "open to potential evolutions" he pointed out to "Tip&&Shaft".
  • Newrest-Matmut : Fabrice Amedeo, still at sea, told "Tip & Shaft" that he would put his Farr design up for sale at the end of next year's Route du Rhum.

So: if you have a deep wallet and guts ......

I have read somewhere that Fabrice Amadeo has bought no way back (directly or through a partner), also reported below :

https://www.ouest-france.fr/sport/voile/vendee-globe-fabrice-amedeo-newrest-aura-un-bateau-foils-5245773

On 14-10-2017 at 8:18 PM, Santi said:

Does anyone have any foil information or research they could share?

for academic purposes! thanks

Tom Speer, one of the development engineers for the americas cup, has a site with loads of information.
http://www.tspeer.com/ 

In below interview (after the TJV victory) :

http://video.lefigaro.fr/sport24/video/jean-pierre-dick-avec-les-foils-l-age-devient-une-limite/5655023883001/

JP Dick says he is stopping the IMOCA and Vendée Globe circuit, and than Yann Ellies will take over his current boat.

He says he will keep on doing some ocean racing, but does not say what.

And Alex new boat is confirmed (but I guess this is old news here) :

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/alex-thomson-extends-hugo-boss-deal-jrhk78npm

43 minutes ago, yl75 said:

In below interview (after the TJV victory) :

http://video.lefigaro.fr/sport24/video/jean-pierre-dick-avec-les-foils-l-age-devient-une-limite/5655023883001/

JP Dick says he is stopping the IMOCA and Vendée Globe circuit, and than Yann Ellies will take over his current boat.

He says he will keep on doing some ocean racing, but does not say what.

And Alex new boat is confirmed (but I guess this is old news here) :

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/alex-thomson-extends-hugo-boss-deal-jrhk78npm

"

Un plan Manuard pour Yann Eliès ?

Si dans un premier temps, Yann Eliès ambitionne de participer à la Route du Rhum en 2019 à la barre de l’actuel Saint-Michel-Virbac, plan VPLP-Verdier de 2015, il aimerait ensuite, mettre un nouveau bateau en chantier pour le Vendée Globe 2020. Selon nos informations, les plans seraient déjà établis et ils seraient signés de Samuel Manuard, architecte très en vogue dans la Classe 40."

There was some speculation in your earlier link that Elies is hoping to have a new boat ready for 2020, apparently designed by S. Manard

15 minutes ago, jonas a said:

"

Un plan Manuard pour Yann Eliès ?

Si dans un premier temps, Yann Eliès ambitionne de participer à la Route du Rhum en 2019 à la barre de l’actuel Saint-Michel-Virbac, plan VPLP-Verdier de 2015, il aimerait ensuite, mettre un nouveau bateau en chantier pour le Vendée Globe 2020. Selon nos informations, les plans seraient déjà établis et ils seraient signés de Samuel Manuard, architecte très en vogue dans la Classe 40."

There was some speculation in your earlier link that Elies is hoping to have a new boat ready for 2020, apparently designed by S. Manard

Yes indeed I remember that one, so not sure, maybe he takes over St Michel Virbac untill the new boat is ready ? Would be nice to have another architect in the IMOCA game!

On 11/25/2017 at 7:28 PM, ASP said:

Just insane footage from HB. Amazing to see how the boat reacts around the foil. 

Great video... BUT shes still dragging her ass-no T-foils yet?

• Downvote 2

47 minutes ago, Doug Lord said:

T-foils on rudders are forbidden in the last class rules :

Safran : Un appendice de coque mobile uniquement utilisé pour influer sur la conduite et qui ne doit pas produire de sustentation autre que celle d’un safran classique.

https://www.imoca.org/modules/kameleon/getFile.asp?id=688&name=reglesdeclasseimoca2017v12.pdf

page 6

I guess this is meant to remain the same for next VG

I was under the impression that the rules had been changed to allow full foiling? Thanks.

• Downvote 1

Another link on this point :

Le rapport du Comité technique était attendu. Des modifications des règles de classe sont ainsi à l’ordre du jour et ont toutes été acceptées : une définition plus précise – et plus souple en cas d’avarie – de la notion de coque ou bateau symétrique et des appendices, ou encore la dissociation claire des notions de dérive, de foils et de safrans. La limitation des plans porteurs – jusque-là une ouverture était laissée aux safrans pour l’installation de plans porteurs – qui est maintenant fermé. Cette décision est prise pour des raisons de sécurité en cas de choc en mer, pour qu’il y ait toujours moins d’abandons sur les courses, mais elle empêche les futurs Imocas de voler, en les limitant à la sustentation comme c’est déjà le cas. S’il est évident qu’en cas d’autorisation de vol complet, SEAir aurait eu une belle carte à jouer niveau architectural, la décision prise n’en reste pas moins la plus raisonnable qu’il soit.

https://seair.fr/fr/2017/04/27/le-billet-de-bertrand-ca-bouge-chez-les-imoca/

So indeed, it is now forbidden in fact before the door was open for t_foils on rudders

Great for Manuard, 2020, its only 2 yrs to have the boat designed and built, so I expect a few in2019 to be ready for a sailing season. Thus in 2018 there will be a lot of news for us.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Doug Lord said:

You watch that video and the only thing you can think of is that “she still dragging her ass”... WTF?

1 hour ago, yl75 said:

Another link on this point :

https://seair.fr/fr/2017/04/27/le-billet-de-bertrand-ca-bouge-chez-les-imoca/

So indeed, it is now forbidden in fact before the door was open for t_foils on rudders

Thanks very much for the info!   Seems damned unfortunate. Eliminating rudder t-foils is just going to stop the boats from flying-it sure as hell isn't going to prevent "a shock at sea"- in fact, the boat may be less seaworthy w/o the t-foils!

googletrans:

The report of the Technical Committee was expected. Modifications of the class rules are thus on the agenda and have all been accepted: a more precise definition - and more flexible in the event of damage - of the notion of hull or symmetrical boat and appendages, or the dissociation clear notions of drift, foils and rudders. The limitation of bearing planes - until then an opening was left to rudders for the installation of carrying planes - which is now closed. This decision is taken for safety reasons in the event of a shock at sea, so that there are always fewer dropouts on the races, but it prevents future Imocas from flying, limiting them to the levitation as it is already the case. If it is obvious that in case of authorization of complete flight, SEAir would have had a beautiful card to play architectural level, the decision taken does not remain less the most reasonable that it is.

• Downvote 3

Not a huge surprise. Remember this is an owner driven class. Whatever the technical reasons advanced, there has always been a clear component of maintaining the class and the boats in the class. This is a little reminiscent of the A-Class progress on foils, and likely there is an undercurrent of similar forces at play.  However, as the IMOCA class is much smaller, and it is totally owner driven, the door is never fully shut on anything. Given time and a turnover of boats and technology things will continue to change. I'm unconvinced that the current dali-foils are anything more than an evolutionary step, and very much doubt they are the right answer long term. It may be that the right answer is to increase the number of foils allowed.

• Like 2

A modest engineering challenge to make a rudder robust enough to support the ass end, and still able to kick up to avoid damaging it, without the drag at high speeds/pitching tripping it. 

1 hour ago, LionessRacing said:

A modest engineering challenge to make a rudder robust enough to support the ass end, and still able to kick up to avoid damaging it, without the drag at high speeds/pitching tripping it. 

Why does the rudder have to kick up? Why not retract vertically like the big tris do-all of which have rudder t-foils!

• Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, Doug Lord said:

Why does the rudder have to kick up? Why not retract vertically like the big tris do-all of which have rudder t-foils!

So that it doesn't snap off if they hit a ufo.

But that's ok for the big tri's?!  What about the foils-they don't kick up... Seems like it's a lot of baloney just to prevent foiling!

• Downvote 1

21 minutes ago, Doug Lord said:

But that's ok for the big tri's?!  What about the foils-they don't kick up... Seems like it's a lot of baloney just to prevent foiling!

They don't want Alex building the next Hugo Boss that simply sails away from the most recent foilers after he sells his current one. 

Too much in two generations. 

33 minutes ago, Doug Lord said:

As Miffy said, allowing "full foiling"(Which by the way has so far been a failure on ocean going monohulls and multi's) would render a dozen newer builds completely obsolete, something niether sponsors or owners would want. 

As mentioned before the Imoco 60 is a owner driven class. Just because they are looking to increase performance with foils and new hull shapes, DOES NOT mean they are looking to revolutionize the class. So far this idea of evolution instead of revolution has worked pretty well for them, the class that has persisted longer and more successfully than just about any other ocean going design. 

If you want to see how "successful" foiling monohulls are, take a look at the results from Arkeema in the Mini Transat this year..

The Worlds first foiling keelboat(see below) was designed by Hugh Welbourn and introduced in 2015, the Quant 23. I don't know the story on Arkeema only that there is one. Judging "foiling monohulls" due to one boats performance in one race is nuts-development takes time-it's only two years since the first monofoiler keelboat flew!

picture from Michi:

Quant 23 flying.jpg

• Downvote 1

12 hours ago, Doug Lord said:

As Hugo Boss and Safran proved in the last VG, you can continue sailing without the foil but not so well without the rudder.

Some have speculated that the foil should also be designed to absorb an impact.  Almost unavoidable these days.

Designing a hinge, that can stand repeated loading below failure point and yet reliably trigger just short of it is probably not that hard if you used a sheer pin at say 90% of rated load, assuming the drag would not approach that. Figuring out where to put it on the extendable foil is a bit trickier. Arguably it needs to clear the hull and yet not strike the obstruction.  Rudder sheer would be easier as pivot is above waterline. Deploying a T foil from stowed to active might require it to have movable pitch, or significantly slow down. 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Some news in tip shaft newsletter,

in short, fleet healthy, interests of competitors as strong as last time. ( i read, again full fleet starting)

They expect BRW race to be more then 8 boats, due to new skippers coming up and needing experience.

OLD BOAT NEWS: FINNAIR sailed by Tolkien found;

http://www.letelegramme.fr/voile/derive-le-60-pieds-de-richard-tolkien-s-echoue-a-porto-rico-02-12-2017-11764618.php?utm_source=Tip+%26+Shaft&utm_campaign=77953d9288-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_12_06&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_af455e7661-77953d9288-53637281

derive-le-60-pieds-de-tolkien-s-echoue-a

• Like 1

17 hours ago, LeoV said:

Some news in tip shaft newsletter,

in short, fleet healthy, interests of competitors as strong as last time. ( i read, again full fleet starting)

They expect BRW race to be more then 8 boats, due to new skippers coming up and needing experience.

OLD BOAT NEWS: FINNAIR sailed by Tolkien found;

http://www.letelegramme.fr/voile/derive-le-60-pieds-de-richard-tolkien-s-echoue-a-porto-rico-02-12-2017-11764618.php?utm_source=Tip+%26+Shaft&utm_campaign=77953d9288-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_12_06&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_af455e7661-77953d9288-53637281

derive-le-60-pieds-de-tolkien-s-echoue-a

I hope that mess gets cleaned up. 

• Downvote 1

On 07/12/2017 at 1:04 PM, Doug Lord said:

The Worlds first foiling keelboat(see below) was designed by Hugh Welbourn and introduced in 2015, the Quant 23. I don't know the story on Arkeema only that there is one. Judging "foiling monohulls" due to one boats performance in one race is nuts-development takes time-it's only two years since the first monofoiler keelboat flew!

picture from Michi:

Quant 23 flying.jpg

My friend races the circuit regularly, he says the concept of that boat doesn't work in waves, and that it is more ballasted dinghy than sportsboat. The costs even at this scale are pretty big with one of these still setting you back around €90k