• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
oioi

New imoca boats

Fuck, Hugo Boss broke the mast

UPDATE:

The shore team were contacted by the boat early this morning and were informed that the mast is broken above the top spreader. We are relieved to announce that the four crew members on-board are safe and we have notified their families and our sponsors.

We could not have a better team on the boat to deal with this and members of the shore team are planning to meet the boat upon its arrival to Newport this weekend, and will carry out an assessment to determine if the boat can be repaired in time to enable us to take part in the New York to Barcelona race.

The broken section has been secured and the boat is able to sail with the remaining mast and they are on route to Newport RI. At the moment our intention is to make a suitable repair to allow Pepe and Ryan to take part in the race but until the boat is in port and fully assessed we cannot finalise our plans...

We will post more info once the assessment is complete.

https://www.facebook.com/AlexThomsonRacing

Just the tip ;)

They saved the piece and with Hall and the other infrastructure in NPT they should have the time to fix it. I hope!

Not a very common place to break an Open 60 mast.

Just the tip ;)

They saved the piece and with Hall and the other infrastructure in NPT they should have the time to fix it. I hope!

Isn't that where Mich Des and Gabart broke a few years back in the Barcelona?

I know they broke just above the spreaders

Just the tip ;)

Isn't that where Mich Des and Gabart broke a few years back in the Barcelona?

I know they broke just above the spreaders

Similar place, but Foncia was with deck spreaders.

Hope they can get fixed up. Best of luck to Ryan and team HB.

this http://www.imagine-and-go.com/test kind of stayed below the radar. Looks new or at least like it has had a major refit. Can't remember when was the last time I saw wheels on an IMOCA. Anybody from France have more info or better link?

Here ya go!

The skipper's website

http://www.armeltripon.com/

Vendee Globe

http://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news/article/14312/armel-tripon-s-monohull-imagine-launched-in-la-trinite.html

this http://www.imagine-and-go.com/test kind of stayed below the radar. Looks new or at least like it has had a major refit. Can't remember when was the last time I saw wheels on an IMOCA. Anybody from France have more info or better link?

It's Groupe Bel, you can see the laughing cow in one of the pics

It's Groupe Bel, you can see the laughing cow in one of the pics

The former Groupe Bel, is now Armel Tripon’s new boat, and slated to be in the 2016 Vendee Globe race.

Phwoar!! look superflash in that paint job... not so swanky without a stick though.

Those dagger boards are sure going to prove slow!

boss-1-1024x682.jpg

How do you work that out?

Virbac-Paprec 3 was NEVER slow - and I doubt being painted silver and dayglow yellow will slow her any.

Oh...wait. I get it.

I recall Alex is pretty good a chopping up bits of carbon fibre for repair work. It'll be good as new - probably better even.

Who owned Tangueys boat before him? Or is this a new build? https://www.facebook.com/initiativescoeur?fref=ts

Brad Van Liew as "Le Pingouin"

When built in 1998 for Catherine Chabaud it was Whirlpool.

http://www.histoiredeshalfs.com/Histoire%20des%2060%27/A18.htm

It is his old boat. Not current.

It looks like it was the 2008 PRB, that then became Akena for the 2012 Vendee Globe.

correct.

http://www.histoiredeshalfs.com/Histoire%20des%2060%27/E41.htm

More photos:

http://www.initiatives-coeur.fr/photos/

api6859545964_max-686-505.jpg

img_7509853233_max-686-505.jpg

They also built new fat bow

Who owned Tangueys boat before him? Or is this a new build? https://www.facebook.com/initiativescoeur?fref=ts

Brad Van Liew as "Le Pingouin"

When built in 1998 for Catherine Chabaud it was Whirlpool.

http://www.histoiredeshalfs.com/Histoire des 60'/A18.htm

It is his old boat. Not current.

It looks like it was the 2008 PRB, that then became Akena for the 2012 Vendee Globe.

correct.

http://www.histoiredeshalfs.com/Histoire des 60'/E41.htm

More photos:

http://www.initiatives-coeur.fr/photos/

api6859545964_max-686-505.jpg

img_7509853233_max-686-505.jpg

They also built new fat bow

I stand corrected and.... had totally missed that !

What are those black line in line with the rudders? Mounts for hydro-generators?

Could be for ballast, maybe for general storage, getting gear stowage farther aft?

HW

PRB got new fat ass

extra aft ballast?

10517311_10152282965278505_2392353304442

Old stern was open:

98ed0d6c40698bcbdbcd59f75d53dbc0.jpg

Those hydro generator things or a spare rudder. If you've noticed VO70's had gudgeons off the transom.

What are those black line in line with the rudders? Mounts for hydro-generators?

Could be for ballast, maybe for general storage, getting gear stowage farther aft?

HW

PRB got new fat ass

extra aft ballast?

10517311_10152282965278505_2392353304442

Old stern was open:

98ed0d6c40698bcbdbcd59f75d53dbc0.jpg

Hydrogenerators. Unlike the VOR70s or VOR65s most IMOCAs, and PRB in particular, have kick-up rudders and if they are damaged the spare is fitted in the same place.

Shame for riechers that he couldn't raise the funds.

But what a great pairing in stamm and le cam. I know who I will be wanting to win in the bwr :-) :-)

Very cool pairing. Not a bad boat either. The Barcelona race just got a whole lot more interesting.

Foils for the Vendée Globe boats?

"Just to be clear, that means that “exotic” appendages, such as foils, are a possibility for the new boats?"

"In theory, yes. It really means that the choice of appendage remains open [or in other words that designers and studies can continue to work in this area, editor’s note]. But that doesn’t mean that any old thing is possible."

PRB got new fat ass

extra aft ballast?

Old stern was open:

Nice loc for more solar panels, cleans up the back end, safer in capsize... discuss

PRB got new fat ass

extra aft ballast?

Old stern was open:

Nice loc for more solar panels, cleans up the back end, safer in capsize... discuss

better for stacking

What was the name of Mare before? I don't think it was Macif, BP, Virbac, PRB, or Safran, so do they really have a chance?

Ah, it was ex-Foncia. Was that the boat Beyou raced in the last Vendee?

What was the name of Mare before? I don't think it was Macif, BP, Virbac, PRB, or Safran, so do they really have a chance?

Ah, it was ex-Foncia. Was that the boat Beyou raced in the last Vendee?

Maître CoQ

Foils for the Vendée Globe boats?

"Just to be clear, that means that “exotic” appendages, such as foils, are a possibility for the new boats?"
"In theory, yes. It really means that the choice of appendage remains open [or in other words that designers and studies can continue to work in this area, editor’s note]. But that doesn’t mean that any old thing is possible."

More about lifting foils (still) being legal here:

Fantastic interpretation of the rules means that a boat designed to use a one design mast and keel can still use lifting foils.Here's an excerpt from the story from the vendee globe website.

Since the last America’s Cup, foils have been the focus of much attention in the world of sailing. These appendages take the weight off the boat, improving their performance, and in the case of multihulls allow them to fly. In the IMOCA class, which is in charge of the Open 60 monohull for the singlehanded non-stop Vendée Globe race, they recently established its new class rules following much debate around this question: should foils be banned?
In the end, it has been decided that the rules should not be changed, thus leaving the door open for these rather ‘exotic’ appendages to be allowed. Here the President of the IMOCA, Jean Kerhoas is interviewed on the Vendee Globe website:
JKJean Kerhoas, can you explain to us how the IMOCA came to a decision concerning the use of foils?
“To understand this matter, you have to look at the major decisions concerning the IMOCA rules currently in force and that everyone now knows: the mast and canting keel are one design features, while the hull and appendages remain open. It’s true that within the class there has been some discussion about this question. Without revealing any secrets, some teams applied pressure stressing the need to strengthen still further the mast to take into account the development of more powerful hulls and the possibility of using “exotic” appendages, including foils.
“Opinions diverged with some pleading in favour of more changes to the rules (with a ban on foils for example, editor’s note) with others arguing that the recently modified rules should not be changed again after all the previous lengthy discussions. In the end, the IMOCA board decided not to modify the class rules. This decision is quite simple. No change to the rules means that everything that was allowed remains allowed.”
Just to be clear, that means that “exotic” appendages, such as foils, are a possibility for the new boats?
“In theory, yes. It really means that the choice of appendage remains open (or in other words that designers and studies can continue to work in this area, editor’s note). But that doesn’t mean that any old thing is possible. Everything on the boat has a bearing other elements and as nothing is being changed, what they come up with still has to respect the use of the one-design mast and keel. Those are designed for a certain power (30 tonnes/metre for the mast). Respecting those parameters limits the possibilities. But it is true that “exotic” appendages are not banned.”

It's crazy to me that they would say no to a scow bow, yet (we are assuming) allow the level of expense and complexity illustrated above. I'm not against it, and appreciate Mr. Tanton's through the box thinking, I just don't like IMOCA's reasons for banning bow volume. It doesn't seem to stand up in light of other expenses.

I believe it would offend their aesthetic sensibilities.

And mine-but Raison has made me a believer.....

Guys, the reason that the scow rule is in place is because they have seen the difference it makes in the Mini class. ALL the other boats would be instantly obsolete. As much as you think it is expensive to do foils, replacing the entire bow of an IMOCA is going to cost more. PLUS it is ugly as shit.

Guys, the reason that the scow rule is in place is because they have seen the difference it makes in the Mini class. ALL the other boats would be instantly obsolete. As much as you think it is expensive to do foils, replacing the entire bow of an IMOCA is going to cost more. PLUS it is ugly as shit.

I'd imagine they'll wait to change the rule until enough skippers in the class have the funding to build new boats? Think that'll happen in our lifetime?

Sure, but even with that rule they are inflating the Farr bows to the maximum allowed, as shown in this thread. Let the ugly girls out of the box!

Alex is building a new boat!

We are pleased to announce here at Alex Thomson Racing that we are building a new boat for Alex for the 2016 Vendee Globe! The new HUGO BOSS will be launched in summer 2015 and will be a VPLP/Verdier design. A very exciting time for Alex and the Team!

http://www.alexthomsonracing.com/2014/09/alex-thomson-announces-a-new-boat-for-the-2016-vendee-globe-and-the-ocean-masters-circuit-2/

10536558_923681217645931_877070549482755

That was news when we broke it about a year ago. The real news is the board...look closely.

We are pleased to announce here at Alex Thomson Racing that we are building a new boat for Alex for the 2016 Vendee Globe! The new HUGO BOSS will be launched in summer 2015 and will be a VPLP/Verdier design. A very exciting time for Alex and the Team!

http://www.alexthomsonracing.com/2014/09/alex-thomson-announces-a-new-boat-for-the-2016-vendee-globe-and-the-ocean-masters-circuit-2/

That drawing on the board is the boat he is sailing NOW. not the new one.

Still I think that I might see what might have been intriguing Clean on that drawing, he must have his ears wide open on current rumours and things which might be first tried on an old boat.

Although, if anybody knows if there is something to see that should most probably be you :)

I see the more or less horizontal tip on the daggerboard......cool! I wonder how big the foil/tip is?

From their website:

McGoldrick said; “This Vendèe Globe cycle will be particularly exciting as we will almost certainly see the use of foils not too dissimilar to those used in the Americas Cup. The foils should significantly increase the performance of the boats, an increase we have not seen since the canting keel was invented. Today all the simulations are theory based and of course theory can be very different to reality, so it is going to be a fascinating next 12 months to see what emerges”.

That was news when we broke it about a year ago. The real news is the board...look closely.

Absolutely amazed that this Italian skipper Andrea Mura who's building a NEW IMOCA didn't make the IMOCA Ocean Masters News page. Here's a translation of his press release that hit the IMOCA Facebook page in French a week ago......

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=auto&langpair=auto|en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fus8.campaign-archive2.com%2F%3Fu%3Debe888a9a323f90ac31c88a2a%26id%3D19ecde2f38%26e%3De0db2615d9

If it doesn't work, here it is in French,

http://us8.campaign-archive2.com/?u=ebe888a9a323f90ac31c88a2a&id=19ecde2f38&e=e0db2615d9

Basically he's from Sardinia, he's doing the Route du Rhum next month on his open 50 (that he won his class with in the 2010 Route du Rhum), he's got private backing and is having a new open 60 built at Persico.

So this is boat #6 brand new for the VG2016.

Foils ok'ed in September and just reaffirmed (again) :

Skippers and owners of the IMOCA gathered for their annual meeting this Wednesday, October 15, Nantes, following an important question raised by one of its members: should allow or disallow the holders of new generation appendages called also "foils"? These appendages would not fly in the real sense, as now do the multihulls America's Cup, but to "relieve" and therefore "alleviate" some points of sail boats and wind forces. After debate where each view has been expressed clearly, the General Assembly of the IMOCA finally followed the opinion already expressed by its Board of Directors a month ago (September 15): we do not change again the rule. This means that new appendages remain allowed. This decision has been taken by a large majority: of 77 enrolled, there were 69 voters and the vote was as follows: 53 for, 15 against, 1 abstention.

Not a new boat. Just Francois Gabart.

Huge talent and a superb boat.

Mad Foils from Banque Pop.

post-26739-0-50917200-1421317766_thumb.png

Presentation of new ‪#‎IMOCA60‬ Banque Populaire VIII! Will it fly?
A few words from Monocoque 60' Banque Populaire - Armel Le Cléac'htalking about the upcoming 2-year IMOCA Ocean Masters season:
"The boat won't fly but the foils will take some of the load off the hull.
It'll be launched in March and the Grand Prix Guyader early May will be our first opportunity to compare performance with Safran Sailing Team.
Our biggest milestone in 2015 is the Transat Jacques Vabre, where I'll be racing with Erwan Tabarly. Although we've known each other for a long time, we've never sailed together - the Rolex Fastnet Race will be our first combined effort.
Then comes the Transat B to B in December taking us back to Europe.
2016 kicks off with a transat between Europe and North America taking us up to our overall major objective - beating all 5 other new VPLP-Verdier designs and winning the Vendée Globe 2016-17!"

Mad Foils from Banque Pop.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-01-15 at 12.27.05.png

Presentation of new ‪#‎IMOCA60‬ Banque Populaire VIII! Will it fly?

A few words from Monocoque 60' Banque Populaire - Armel Le Cléac'htalking about the upcoming 2-year IMOCA Ocean Masters season:

"The boat won't fly but the foils will take some of the load off the hull.

It'll be launched in March and the Grand Prix Guyader early May will be our first opportunity to compare performance with Safran Sailing Team.

Our biggest milestone in 2015 is the Transat Jacques Vabre, where I'll be racing with Erwan Tabarly. Although we've known each other for a long time, we've never sailed together - the Rolex Fastnet Race will be our first combined effort.

Then comes the Transat B to B in December taking us back to Europe.

2016 kicks off with a transat between Europe and North America taking us up to our overall major objective - beating all 5 other new VPLP-Verdier designs and winning the Vendée Globe 2016-17!"

6.5 tonnes displacement? 8 is light currently

PRB was launched at 6.9 tons. the new boats benefit from rule changes including eliminating the 10 degree rule and lower RM max in order to create a lighter boat. Remember as well that this is with the one design forged stainless keel fin, which adds about 500kg to the boat weight.

Basically if they had a carbon or fabricated fin the new IMOCAs would be 900KGs lighter than PRB.

That's pretty exciting stuff. The mini looked amazing in action. Does anyone know if that is the only foil they will be using upwind, or will there be additional boards?

I'm sure it's now going to be even less fun to dock those deck spreader boats.

That's pretty exciting stuff. The mini looked amazing in action. Does anyone know if that is the only foil they will be using upwind, or will there be additional boards?

Nope. Only 5 appendages allowed.

^ You may feel safe to assume it's a single board, I don't.

I guess that's the only foils they'll be using. If I remember correctly, the IMOCA rules only allow a maximum of 5 appendices, (here: 2 rudder blades, 2 boards/foils and a keel fin).

Edit: beaten to the post by Edouard!

Well, it's damn interesting. I'm really interested to see it sailing, especially upwind. Thanks for the updates. Online this has been pretty hush hush.

these foils retract through the deck or no? Curious then to see the apparatus inside and how interior space is used. Crazy angle on it. Affective at limited angles of heel?

They are two separate boards. I could not see if the upper ends even penetrate the deck when raised. This will make access to front 1/2 of boat really contrained, unless they have a massive structural arch under the mast to allow a centerline passage. Also wonder if they are losing any upwind ability? And have deck spreader rigs become the accepted standard? Havent seen any onboard shroud boats for a while.

Have they also changed the AVS requirements? Or just tossed the 10deg rule?

The "dynamic" AVS with such a lee dagger/foil could be an issue...I can imagine getting whacked sideways be a big one and tripping over the foil.

That would ruin your whole day.

Have they also changed the AVS requirements? Or just tossed the 10deg rule?

Unchanged, AFAIAA.

http://www.imoca.org/modules/kameleon/getFile.asp?id=687&name=classrulesimoca2015v22.pdf

D.5 MINIMUM STANDARDS OF STABILITY AND POWER LIMITATION
D.5.1 INITIAL HEEL ANGLES
NOTE: See rule A.14(c]
(a) From the vertical axis due to stacking and the filling of ballast tanks in the most unfavourable condition: the amplitude from one side to the vertical shall not exceed 10°.
b] Each ballast tank must be completely filled or emptied, in the search for the most unfavourable condition.
D.5.2 ANGLE OF VANISHING STABILITY (AVS)
NOTE: See rule A.14©IMOCA Class Rules 2015 27
(a) This angle shall not be less than 127.5°.
b] This angle is calculated from the theoretical stability curve derived from measurements taken during the stability tests and from information provided by the naval architect.
(c] The buoyancy of the spars is not taken into account.
D.5.3 AVS WORST CASE (AVSwc)
(a) The value of the AVSwc in the worst case (AVSwc – worst case configuration of ballast and keel, in light configuration) shall be greater than or equal to 108° for boats issued with an IMOCA Measurement Certificate before 1 July 2009.
(b] For a boat issued with its first IMOCA Measurement Certificate after 1 July 2009 the value of the AVSwc shall be greater than or equal to 110°.
(c] All boats issued with an IMOCA Measurement Certificate before 1 July 2009 with an AVSwc lower than 110°, any changes shall not lead to a reduction in AVSwc.
(d) All boats issued with an IMOCA Measurement Certificate before 1 July 2009 with an AVSwc greater than 110°, any change shall not lead to a reduction in AVSwc to under 110°.
(e) The worst case for AVS is the angle at which the boat capsizes when its keel and ballast (filled) is in its least favourable combination, the boat otherwise being in measurement trim (light configuration apart from the relevant ballast tanks filled).
(f) Buoyancy of masts and spars is not taken into account.
(g) AVSwc must be measured by IMOCA under the authority of IMOCA’s Chief Measurer based on the theoretical stability curve obtained following measurements taken during the stability tests, information provided by the naval architect and measurements taken by the measurer.
D.5.4 STABILITY CURVE AREA RATIO
The positive area under the stability curve shall be at least 5 times greater than the negative area. Measurements must be done in light measurement trim.

All of 198's mods have been nice. Extending canting keel, wing mast, now this. Still a beautiful boat. Clean spinnaker handling just got a whole lot more important though.

^^ These pics illustrate this article http://www.adonnante.com/30277-course-au-large-imoca-vendee-globe-2016-17-un-tresor-de-technologie-pour-armel-le-cleach/# (and probably others)

The article mentions it was for a test campaign and they were using a third daggerboard (visible in first pic) which isn't possible in IMOCA.

It also mentions that there are substantial gains for a relatively small range of wind angles often encountered during the VG. In short, the boat is designed specifically to the extreme for that race (normal for a French sponsor)

A bit to my surprise, dynamic righting moment is not the motivation for these foils. A powerful hull shape is to provide righting moment, the foils are there to reduce wetted surface (keeping that bow out of the water I guess). So much for the DSS afficionados.

For my part I am intrigued about how these foils deploy for upwind sailing (conveniently all pics and videos show the mini DDW or on a reach :) )

Perhaps the daggerfoils' curvature changes drastically in its upper part so the immersed part gets L shaped when it's fully deployed? (Kind of the opposite of the AC72 foils that were L shaped upwind when partially deployed then J shaped when completely deployed downwind)

Guess we'll have to wait for the real thing to see how it performs. In particular how it performs outside its comfort zone.

It will also be interesting to see if all the new Verdier/VPLP designed boats follow this extreme logic or if other teams elected to have something more versatile.

In regard to the comfort zone, I'm wondering if the relaxing of the 10 degree rule allows them to push the ballast tanks outboard more so they can use less keel cant making the keel more effective for leeway when close hauled. That said, I have not looked at IMOCA rules in years, so it's an ignorant question.

^ My bad. Didn't realise that something as fundamental would be amended by "NOTE: See rule A.14(c]" :unsure:

He has no point. Just the usual Rosbiff v Frog nagging.

Some, on both sides of the Channel, insist on extending the Hundred Year War to eternity.

Pretty interesting post on VPLP's website:

http://www.vplp.fr/news/60/60/Lecon-de-foils.html

Sorry it's in French and I can't copy and translate full text.

Interesting tid bits:

"A first evoluion was the introduction of "tilt " in the new keel (the keel's rotation axle is at an angle wit the waterline plane, typically 4 to 9° on the new"standard" keels) , this creates an angle at the leading edge which "lightens" the boat, but also induces a loss in RM as the effort is to windward.

Therefore it was logical to work on the foils to regain the lost RM while dynamically further "lighten" the boat.

All VPLP-Verdier new Imocas will have those foils, although each team will have specific foil designs. it is anticipated that up to two days could be saved on a VG.

The largest progress shall be when reaching, downwind should also see an improvement, things should be more complicated when beating but ... that's only 10% of a Vendee.

And next ? Foils significantly "widen" the boats. Why not reduce the hull beam ?

To be continued"

post-6361-0-86456200-1422522135_thumb.jpg

^^ Interesting.

They also put up an English translation.

angle of attack of keel, it soulager the boat, translated as lightens or sustain the boat...

I thought it was to relieve yourself,

Works to windward. Loosing RM.

I think of a foil that is 0 degree AoA if pointed vertical, and when start canting AOA changes to max 4 or 9.

Workable by offline bearing set on cantingkeel pivot.

But why loosing RM, would think the soulage will counter effect this. Or is the net result negative in this aspect, so why to soulage then.

"A first evoluion was the introduction of "tilt " in the new keel (the keel's rotation axle is at an angle wit the waterline plane, typically 4 to 9° on the new"standard" keels) , this creates an angle at the leading edge which "lightens" the boat, but also induces a loss in RM as the effort is to windward.

I think Comanche's keel has a similar "tilt" or twist to positive angle of attack when swung outward, especially when she's in her usual bow-up trim. Her ridiculous draught and beam counter the loss in righting moment.

A lot has already been said about how the angle of her daggerboards creates lift but the lift generated by her keel is also worthy of attention. Especially since VPLP appears to be applying the concept with confidence in its next generation of '60s.

Comanche%2BLinesa.jpeg

Naj - spot on with your observations about the considerable lift generated by the keel strut with inclined hinge pin.

Trouble is, that if you mention lift or hydr@ f@ils here three times - it will invoke the Candyman curse; and attract the attention of DouchE LooP to spoil the forum.

Also the angle on the keel pin causes the keel bulb to move aft as it cants, which also helps lift the bow.