oioi

New imoca boats

Btw...how hard was the grounding outside Guadeloupe? Was Alex already in calmer waters? I suppose he wasn't sailing at 20 knots 

On 12/5/2018 at 5:13 AM, jonas a said:

Btw...how hard was the grounding outside Guadeloupe? Was Alex already in calmer waters? I suppose he wasn't sailing at 20 knots 

Light enough to sail around the island, hard enough to split a board. At the rumored costs on those ($300-$500k each) that's a pretty expensive RdR, plus 6+ months to get a replacement sorted.

According to Ouest France, Banque Populaire will build another Ultim, and they will also have a VG entry with an existing boat and a skipper that will not be Armel :

https://www.ouest-france.fr/sport/voile/salon-nautique-echos-des-pontons-parisiens-6117655

And Brest Oceans will be officialy rescheduled, new date not defined yet 2021 or 23 :

https://us12.campaign-archive.com/?u=1e692787e2c4cc3370813fca1&id=997995776d

ah, which skipper though...  they have PYM in their team working as composite guy, he can do it. Probably not though, not enough sailing lately, maybe a surprise name, I have one in mind but never willing to put money on that...

1 minute ago, LeoV said:

ah, which skipper though...  they have PYM in their team working as composite guy, he can do it. Probably not though, not enough sailing lately, maybe a surprise name, I have one in mind but never willing to put money on that...

In fact wanted to put that in the Ultim thread, but regarding the Banque pop VG skipper, I think it could be Meilhat

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jackolantern said:

Do we think Armel is out for good?

Probably out Ultimes I reckon, that’s 3 times upside down on a Tri. He’s might have had enough of that, especially after this one. 

Good guess Meilhat. then on which boat... his dagger boarded or buy Hugo Boss.

3 minutes ago, LeoV said:

Good guess Meilhat. then on which boat... his dagger boarded or buy Hugo Boss.

He’s definitely deserving the upgrade, out of curiosity, what type of handover is there with a purchase like this? 

10 hours ago, mad said:

Probably out Ultimes I reckon, that’s 3 times upside down on a Tri. He’s might have had enough of that, especially after this one. 

No, not sure at all, he said he wants to continue, and no rumors on banque pop getting him out if they build a new boat.

As to the IMOCA, could be SMA with foils

11 hours ago, mad said:

He’s definitely deserving the upgrade, out of curiosity, what type of handover is there with a purchase like this? 

If I was Alex I wouldn't sell Hugo Boss to him. He would be a force with a boat like that IMO

42 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

If I was Alex I wouldn't sell Hugo Boss to him. He would be a force with a boat like that IMO

It does introduce an interesting conundrum to deal with. 

Tip and Shaft ran the same article.  I like Ruyant.  He proved to have the stuff in the last VG.

On 11/1/2018 at 11:01 AM, yl75 said:

So that's now six new boats confirmed for the next VG :

Jérémie Beyou (Charal) : VPLP

Alex Thomson (Hugo Boss) : VPLP

Sébastien Simon (Arkea-Paprec) : Juan K

Charlie Dalin (Apivia) : Verdier

Armel Tripon : Sam Manuard

Kojiro Shiraishi : VPLP (same mould as Charal)

Any rumors on some other ones ? Verdier will make only one this time ? (but he must be quite buzy with the AC)

So to update the list, now seven new boats confirmed for the next VG :

Jérémie Beyou (Charal) : VPLP

Alex Thomson (Hugo Boss) : VPLP

Sébastien Simon (Arkea-Paprec) : Juan K

Charlie Dalin (Apivia) : Verdier

Armel Tripon : Sam Manuard

Kojiro Shiraishi : VPLP (same mould as Charal)

Thomas Ruyant : Verdier

About Ruyant, so he launched the build without a main sponsor, I wonder whether this is a first or not.

2 hours ago, yl75 said:

About Ruyant, so he launched the build without a main sponsor, I wonder whether this is a first or not.

Bernard Stamm did IIRC.

So 7 is not a bad number. Looking forward again to the Vendee Globe.

20 hours ago, Baguette du Fromage said:

Thomas Ruyant is builiding right now a brand new IMOCA "Last Generation" (with foils I guess)

Designed by Verdier and built in Persico Marine (Italy).

Source : http://www.courseaularge.com/imoca-construction-thomas-ruyant.html?fbclid=IwAR3BIDa18IyZALMUr94EsyZ6mmQyeLwNuOe-lDZQvYk_hqJsgkK2rV1vz68

Not to be too pedantic, but it should probably be "latest generation" :)?

Do not be  sorry for being french !

you could be pedantic, french and arrogant  

• Like 2

On 12/17/2018 at 7:55 AM, Baguette du Fromage said:

Sry, i'm French

Honestly, many of us forget that English isn’t everyone’s first language around here.  You still speak better English than whatever it is the Aussie’s speak!

Isabelle Joschke just found a main sponsor, MACSF, adding up to the one she already had. She is now virtually assured to be at the start of the next Vendée Globe with a VPLP Verdier from 2007, which finished fifth with Yann Elies last time. Looks like an in-depth refit is on the menu, maybe to add foils like Riou?

Link (in french): https://www.vendeeglobe.org/fr/en-bref#macsf-partenaire-titre-d-isabelle-joschke

1 hour ago, GibGibGib said:

Isabelle Joschke just found a main sponsor, MACSF, adding up to the one she already had. She is now virtually assured to be at the start of the next Vendée Globe with a VPLP Verdier from 2007, which finished fifth with Yann Elies last time. Looks like an in-depth refit is on the menu, maybe to add foils like Riou?

Link (in french): https://www.vendeeglobe.org/fr/en-bref#macsf-partenaire-titre-d-isabelle-joschke

Machine Translation of the article on this from Le Telegramme

Isabelle Joschke: This will be my first participation in the Vendée Globe, a real challenge that I can meet thanks to the support of the MACSF. I am delighted with this partnership. Finding a sponsor that looks like me was essential to me. I feel particularly close to the MACSF, its values, its public... I fully adhere to the human aspect of the mutual and the health professionals, which is found in our joint project. That's what interests me in sailing and I like to pass this on. Together we will live a great adventure. "

Alain Gautier: After two seasons of initiation in Imoca with limited means, I am really very happy that, thanks to the MACSF, we can move to the top speed in preparation for Isabelle for her next big challenge of the Vendée Globe. We were looking for a co-partner to support Monin in our adventure and I thank them greatly for supporting us in 2018. Finally, we find a main partner, all of this, of course, after discussions of great clarity: personally, I am very happy to find the MACSF, a sponsor present on the boat of one of my competitors in the years 80. Thanks to Team Voile MACSF, Isabelle will have a successful boat. Lanic Sport Team and its team, reduced so far, will strengthen with the arrival of new members in order to give Isabelle a Imoca to the height of her talent.

© The https://www.letelegramme.fr/voile/imoca-isabelle-joschke-a-trouve-un-sponsor-18-12-2018-12165293.php#cXLM89KBQd7MvkFB.99 Telegram

11 hours ago, GibGibGib said:

This is great news

• Like 1

Why not just create another IRC division? Class breaks should be done around creating tight racing with boats of similar performance so that within the division you're not racing against boats you can never cover or strategize against because they're in another weather system.

Totally cocked up if you ask me!

Are you posting in the right thread jackolantern? IMOCA's are raced boat for boat, not on IRC...

Facebook translation:

BREAKING NEWS

Kevin Escoffier succeeds me at prb's bar!

The Vendée Globe is a magical test that requires a lot of investment and an exclusive passion. I didn't want to do the vendée globe too much. It's a great satisfaction to know that prb will go back with someone else. Kevin is able to meet this challenge. He's not an experienced person, he's a very experienced person! He is one of the most competent sailors in France today.

PRB still in, what a company.
Maybe a new boat ?
From Tip&shaft;
And so seven lucky recipients of new boats are also high on the registration list: Jérémie Beyou, Alex Thomson, Charlie Dalin, Sébastien Simon, Armel Tripon, Kojiro Shiraishi and Thomas Ruyant are qualified as long as they comply with Article 9.1. Do note that we know there is an eighth new boat project under way which will use the moulds of an IMOCA which is under construction right now.

Look at 51 sec, the boat is in transformation to the foils I guess, deck and hull separated... damn good work.

oh, the T&S newsletter is full on Imoca/Vendee
https://mailchi.mp/tipandshaft/tip-shaft-10-vende-globetime-and-tide-waits-for-no-man-entries-are-in-short-supply-nlunven-im-back-to-thinking-about-vg-2020?e=35fa5dddd3

2 hours ago, LeoV said:

PRB still in, what a company.
Maybe a new boat ?
From Tip&shaft;
And so seven lucky recipients of new boats are also high on the registration list: Jérémie Beyou, Alex Thomson, Charlie Dalin, Sébastien Simon, Armel Tripon, Kojiro Shiraishi and Thomas Ruyant are qualified as long as they comply with Article 9.1. Do note that we know there is an eighth new boat project under way which will use the moulds of an IMOCA which is under construction right now.

Look at 51 sec, the boat is in transformation to the foils I guess, deck and hull separated... damn good work.

oh, the T&S newsletter is full on Imoca/Vendee
https://mailchi.mp/tipandshaft/tip-shaft-10-vende-globetime-and-tide-waits-for-no-man-entries-are-in-short-supply-nlunven-im-back-to-thinking-about-vg-2020?e=35fa5dddd3

From the video above, I do not think there will be a new boat for PRB. The CEO of PRB refers to the fact that Kevin needs to know the boat inside out, and once this is done, a podium finish in the Vendée Globe is within reach.

Still very good news! Both the fact that PRB stays in the IMOCA sponsoring and that Kevin Escoffier gets such a good set up.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2018 at 11:28 AM, jackolantern said:

My post got mixed up with the Hobart thread. Disregard. 

IMOCAs in Sydney-Hobart! Will be less controversial than Ultimes in Sydney-Hobart.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SCARECROW said:

Begs the question what has JK has less success with imoca 60s or foiling boats?

He does have an interesting background in a few! 

From the latest Tip & Shaft newsletter (in french): https://mailchi.mp/tipandshaft.com/tip-shaft-143-comment-yannick-bestaven-a-rachet-lex-safran-sdessirier-macsf-incarner-notre-groupe-par-une-femme-est-trs-important?e=b9118901de

Safran (VPLP-Verdier foiler, 2015) has been sold to Yannick Bestaven, partnering with Maître Coq. An upgrade from the old Initiatives Coeur (Farr, 2006) the team bought a year ago. Initiatives Coeur has been sold to Clément Giraud, who also plan to line up at the start of the next Vendée. 

They also claim Hugo Boss has been sold (confirmed by the team), but they don't know the name of the buyer yet. 

The start line for the 2020 Vendée is getting a bit crowded, between the (at least) eight new boats, foilers from the previous gen and older refits, this should be exciting. Only 30 will be able to line up though. 

• Like 1

oocBiL6.jpg

jb5 mentionned it a few posts above, but it's now official, Clarisse Cremer, parterning with Banque Populaire, will sail the next VG on the current SMA (Gabart old boat, former winner). Also the next Jacques Vabre with Armel Le Cléac'h : https://www.letelegramme.fr/voile/banque-populaire-un-ultime-neuf-un-imoca-un-figaro-3-21-01-2019-12188846.php?share_auth=9fd5b263e45550f71e82472c4ee7c320#yrvErwpqQ24eg3x2.01

This is a huge news, which may in the long term have as much impact on the class than any new boat being built. Clarisse is coming from the Mini 6.50 class, she only did her first single-handed race in 2016, and finished 2nd in the last Mini Transat in the hyper competitive, production boats Série class. She never finished outside the top 10: https://www.classemini.com/?mode=skippers&id_skipper=2731

She's obviously super talented, but what makes it such a great news in my opinion, is that she also looks pretty business-savvy. She graduated from a business school, created her own company, and went on to do v-logs youtuber style explaining the sponsorship process, went semi-viral, which kickstarted her sailing career. She's young, has a very marketable profile, and sponsors seem to love her. 

Now she'll get to partner with arguably the world biggest offshore sailing team, BP, and learn under Armel Le Cléac'h himself, on a proven boat. She won't win the next VG, but it will be an amazing learning experience for her. After quite shamefully not having any women at the start of the last VG, looks like the IMOCA class is getting healthier with now Clarisse Cremer, Sam Davies and Isabelle Joschke all having their boat & sponsors secured. Hopefully Alexa Barrier will also manage to find the money she (I think?) still needs.

This is still early, but I think Clarisse will have a wonderful impact on the scene in the long run. Now, if only the VG could attract more high profile teams from outside of France/Hugo Boss and go truly international, that would be amazing..

• Like 5

Clarisse is an awesome choice.  Hope Paul M finds a great ride as well.  And Yuan E.

I wonder when we'll see IMOCA's do 600+nm in 24 hours, they've kind of plateau'd at the 550 mark.... I wonder what rocket ship HB will come up with. They're kind of like lamborghini, you get the feeling they'd put machine guns on their boat if they could.

On 2/2/2019 at 6:45 AM, Raptorsailor said:

I wonder when we'll see IMOCA's do 600+nm in 24 hours, they've kind of plateau'd at the 550 mark.... I wonder what rocket ship HB will come up with. They're kind of like lamborghini, you get the feeling they'd put machine guns on their boat if they could.

I can't see Hugo Boss being as big a breakthrough this time around.  It is a much better understood design space than the one they faced in the lead up to the last race.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SCARECROW said:

I can't see Hugo Boss being as big a breakthrough this time around.  It is a much better understood design space than the one they faced in the lead up to the last race.

This is certainly true.

However, consider that this is a team that has a reputation for ballsy calls, whether that be design, strategy or execution. Also, this is AT's last premium level attempt at this goal, so he will be gunning for every advantage he can take.

Lastly, the IMOCA rule will be overhauled immediately after the end of the next VG - probably reigning in Foil dimensions which are currently unconstrained. There is talk that with dual role for both Vendee and Volvo duties, that the class will have to do something to stop costs spiraling the class into oblivion. So this might be like how the Car Rally scene killed off the Group B monsters - with the loss of the Audi Quattros, Lancia's, RS500's etc etc. 

Throw all that lot together and you have the perfect opportunity to go to VPLP and say 'What is the most on edge design you have in mind.....? Throw the kitchen sink at the problemt..... Just don't build one for the boat......'

I cant help but wonder in the way that current HB has fully enclosed foils but Charal has gone for deck exiting, which allows much wider spans, and a smaller hull shell - but also the deployment is constrained to a one in one out type scenario. If they can find a foil geometry that allows very wide spans that can be independently deployed - then lots of High aspect foil in the light stuff that can be both withdrawn as boat speed rises as well as keeping the weather foil retracted enough to get out of the way. Go too long and the retracted waether foil will foul the headsail deployment - but the material science may not be up to making them that long.

Tough design choices too make and complex issues to resolve - but if anyone can work it out then surely VPLP and HB's deep pockets are a match made in heaven.

Actual speed records are merely a by-product of being in the right time at the right place. You can bet that AT wouldn't give a fig for the record if it means securing a VG win. Til now they are even just poor consolation presents. He has it presently...... as well as in the past.

So I hope for something really special to be launched from Carringtons this year.

• Like 2

On 2/1/2019 at 2:45 PM, Raptorsailor said:

I suspect the current HB could break 600nm, which is really only an average of 25 kts for 24 hours.The trouble is most of these records are set during Eastbound crossings of the North Atlantic (or occasionally on the trip south or north from the Equator). That’s mostly because it’s fairly straighforward to hook into a low coming off the U.S East Coast and stay ahead of it before the water gets lumpy. Trouble is you can’t just run out for a 24 hour record from the West Coast of France or England and the fast IMOCA’s make an appearance in the U.S once or maybe twice in their racing careers.

The current HB could probably take the outright monohull 24hr record, but any attempt i'd guess is unlikely due to the post RdR repairs, and the new HB being well on its way:
the new HB i expect will be very radical and VERY special
ATRs lead in-house designer has a penchant for pushing the limits and thinking well outside of "the box"

On 2/3/2019 at 5:05 AM, samc99us said:

I suspect the current HB could break 600nm, which is really only an average of 25 kts for 24 hours.The trouble is most of these records are set during Eastbound crossings of the North Atlantic (or occasionally on the trip south or north from the Equator). That’s mostly because it’s fairly straighforward to hook into a low coming off the U.S East Coast and stay ahead of it before the water gets lumpy. Trouble is you can’t just run out for a 24 hour record from the West Coast of France or England and the fast IMOCA’s make an appearance in the U.S once or maybe twice in their racing careers.

Ask Stan Honey if he thinks "it's fairly straightforward to hook into a low coming off the U.S East Coast and stay ahead of it before the water gets lumpy." Hopefully, he says yes because then we'll all have a great future in Transatlantic record-breaking navigation!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ASP said:

Ask Stan Honey if he thinks "it's fairly straightforward to hook into a low coming off the U.S East Coast and stay ahead of it before the water gets lumpy." Hopefully, he says yes because then we'll all have a great future in Transatlantic record-breaking navigation!

You have to wait for the right weather window and time your departure correctly. I didn't mean to suggest the navigation or record breaking is trivial. It is however straightforward, I say that as both the VOR 65's and Comanche broke the 24 hour record (Comanche outright, VOR 65 the Volvo Ocean Race/VOR 70 24 hour record but darn close to Comanche) during races, i.e not picking an ideal weather window and sending it. Its hard to do the same in a class that just doesn't race West to East across the Atlantic very often nor has the opportunity to pick an ideal weather window easily without basing the boat plus shore team in the U.S. That would add quite a bit of cost to a campaign based in France or the U.K. Now if the Concord were still flying it might be a different story...

On 1/13/2019 at 7:43 AM, mad said:

He does have an interesting background in a few! 

Choosing Juan K for an Imoca 60 design has some risks. Not privy to the thought process for someone going with Juan K? With VPLP's database for this design so strong hard to go past them IMO. The most interesting aspects with new IMOCA's being designed and built right now will be beam and foil design. Alex's boat so fast and also the narrowest why the need for beam nowadays when the foil generates the righting moment? Beyou's boat seems to be a little beamier than Hugo Boss, anyone got the exact spec's? This class has so much to play for with the Volvo involvement and future development. Interesting times..,

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jackolantern said:

This is a very silly argument. Please show me one example of a boat staging, preparing, and setting off with a 24-hour record specifically in mind. 

Francis Joyon did exactly this for his solo 24 record in 2012

On 2/11/2019 at 3:12 PM, SSolo said:

the new HB i expect will be very radical and VERY special
ATRs lead in-house designer has a penchant for pushing the limits and thinking well outside of "the box"

Speaking of radical or extrem, is there any rule preventing to build an AC75 like boat within Imoca60 class rule? Not that I think it would be safe but it could be pretty fast (in the right conditions). Given their respective size, weight is similar, self righting, could certainly be made buoyant enough.

For plenty of reasons this will not happen, but it's interesting to have an idea how far it can be pushed or be radical compared to current boats.

57 minutes ago, Lakrass said:

Speaking of radical or extrem, is there any rule preventing to build an AC75 like boat within Imoca60 class rule? Not that I think it would be safe but it could be pretty fast (in the right conditions). Given their respective size, weight is similar, self righting, could certainly be made buoyant enough.

For plenty of reasons this will not happen, but it's interesting to have an idea how far it can be pushed or be radical compared to current boats.

Yes there is a rule preventing this - No T foils allowed on the Rudders.

Therefore you cannot achieve pitch control -  and full flight cannot be maintained without this.There are moments of flight which look spectacular, but cannot be sustained for longer than than the boat takes to climb too high, before either a wave aspect change or ventilation sends it back down.

There is no crossover for comparison to the AC monhulls......... currently.

And given the dual role that the class is now trying to juggle and the salutory lessons learned by the ORMA class experiencied when they allowed budgets to run unchecked; there is little chance of this being witnessed with the IMOCA class.

If that's the stern section we're looking at in the third picture it's a different hull shape compared to previous boats, looks like a fairly rond short radius bottom with straight angled "Bilges"

Almost shows some similarities to the center hull of a tri... Would make sense... 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HotSnail said:

If that's the stern section we're looking at in the third picture it's a different hull shape compared to previous boats, looks like a fairly rond short radius bottom with straight angled "Bilges"

Almost shows some similarities to the center hull of a tri... Would make sense... 

Yes, good catch, Charal also has a more round stern than previous generation :

08_charal-60-imoca-vendee-globe.jpg

to be seen if HB will be even more in that direction, and how its foils will look like.

(although wouldn't go as far as "center hull of a tri")

• Like 1

Can Charal move its foils longitudinal ? Looks like there is a slot for it.

On 2/13/2019 at 12:54 PM, southerncross said:

'build it strong, I like to break shit'.

7 minutes ago, staysail said:

That was quick!

Easy when its the only logical answer. :P

I wonder how low on freeboard at the bow and stern the next lot will be? In the middle you need a bit to keep the foil bearings apart, get the keel in and step the mast. But at the ends it is just extra weight above the vcg. Reduce the volume, weight and need for reserve buoyancy is all gain, gain, gain. 

Enclose the cockpit entirely and make it the entire living area and the numbers just keep getting better. 

1 minute ago, Chimp too said:

I wonder how low on freeboard at the bow and stern the next lot will be? In the middle you need a bit to keep the foil bearings apart, get the keel in and step the mast. But at the ends it is just extra weight above the vcg. Reduce the volume, weight and need for reserve buoyancy is all gain, gain, gain. 

Enclose the cockpit entirely and make it the entire living area and the numbers just keep getting better. 

Just add a periscope and a hatch for occasional good weather and seal them in for the duration.  

the bow can only get so slight, green water will start ripping forestays out of the deck when they go down the mine, especially without much pitch control.

the volume of the front half of Charal looks good to my eye and that tumblehome shape goes a long way to significantly increasing overall efficiency. sick boat, must feel like you're on a big powerboat, and in a blow with the throttles stuck on full.

Sebastien Simon and Vincent Riou are currently on a tentative on the Cadix San Salvador (Bahamas) record :

https://www.lequipe.fr/Voile/Actualites/Simon-a-l-assaut-du-record-de-la-route-de-la-decouverte/999981

https://www.facebook.com/sebastiensimonskipper/

(but no tracker apparently)

And for that the ex PRB boat from Riou as been rebranded as "Arkea Paprec" :

53294707_2253100451644173_64230153536971

But at the same time Simon is getting a new JK Built for the next VG (with Arkea Paprec as sponsor), and Kevin Escoffier is meant to get this boat under PRB sponsorship for the next VG..

So it means the boat will be rebranded back to PRB in a few weeks/months ? (the new boat should be launched this summer).

That's a lot of back and forth rebranding on that boat ...

4 minutes ago, yl75 said:

Sebastien Simon and Vincent Riou are currently on a tentative on the Cadix San Salvador (Bahamas) record :

https://www.lequipe.fr/Voile/Actualites/Simon-a-l-assaut-du-record-de-la-route-de-la-decouverte/999981

And for that the ex PRB boat from Riou as been rebranded as "Arkea Paprec" :

53294707_2253100451644173_64230153536971

But at the same time Simon is getting a new JK Built for the next VG (with Arkea Paprec as sponsor), and Kevin Escoffier is meant to get this boat under PRB sponsorship for the next VG..

So it means the boat will be rebranded back to PRB in a few weeks/months ? (the new boat should be launched this summer).

That's a lot of back and forth rebranding on that boat ...

Arkea Paprec must have deep pockets for the VG.

https://www.scanvoile.com/2019/03/nicolas-troussel-imoca-corum-equipe-juanK-desjoyeaux-.html#.XJ481-jYphE

Update on the new Corum from Juan K.  Late launch planned.

Google translation below.

A new IMOCA for Nicolas Troussel on the Vendée Globe, Juan K and Michel Desjoyeaux at his side with Corum

Greg Evrard (team leader), Juan Kouyoumdjian (naval architect) and Michel Desjoyeaux (constructor) now surround the skipper Nicolas Troussel who will be at the start of the Vendée Globe 2020. He will take the helm of a new boat in the colors of CORUM The savings.

7kwNWQYQ.jpeg
Credit: E.Stichelbaut / CORUM Savings

Project until 2022

A few weeks after the 2018 Route du Rhum, CORUM L'Épargne and Nicolas Troussel signed the construction of a new generation IMOCA monohull and the launch of a project that will take them to 2022. 

Gathered by the competition Nicolas Troussel and Greg Evrard lead the project together, one as skipper and the other as team director. Double winner of the Solitaire du Figaro, Nicolas Troussel confirms: "Our association with Greg aims to develop a long-term project not only a skipper project but a team project where I feel supported and where I can focus primarily on my job as a navigator. " 

Greg Evrard is leaving his responsibilities at North Sails to focus 100% on his new duties."The priority in any sport, professional or corporate project is the team. The way individuals work collectively fascinates me. "He confides before delivering about Nicolas:" This project is a dream for Nico, yet he does not apprehend him as a dreamer but as a professional who has above all the will to do well and to surpass himself to wear the colors of CORUM L'Epargne. "

Juan Kouyoumdjian and Michel Desjoyeaux, a first

"The combination of a design by Juan Kouyoumdjian and a mastery of work by Michel Desjoyeaux with its structures Mer Agitée and Mer Forte is for us the perfect solution to save time with confidence," summarizes Greg Evrard. "Juan has won the last three Volvo Ocean Race races in prototypes and Michel has won two Vendée Globe and built four of the last five winning boats. "

CORUM The savings is one of eight new boats that will start the Vendée Globe November 8, 2020 Les Sables d'Olonne. It is the second signed Juan Yacht Design and will be the last born with a launch planned in the first quarter of next year. "If we remain agile, this will benefit from observations as well as knowledge that progresses in real time, "says Frédéric Puzin, President of CORUM L'Épargne.

Nicolas Troussel: "a guarantee of security and performance"

The French-Argentine architect is passionate about this new challenge. "I learned a lot from Michel Desjoyeaux. He is an example for designers and sailors. We are very complementary.He comes with his immense experience of innovation in IMOCA and adds his knowledge as a skipper on the Vendée Globe. We created this 'trinome' with Nicolas who is doing very well. "

This duo is perfectly consistent for Nicolas Troussel: " Juan is talented and very eager to 'perform' on the Vendée Globe. And if I did IMOCA racing, I have never been to the South. I needed someone who could help me, guide me and who better than Michel Desjoyeaux! It is a guarantee of security and huge performance for me. "

I wonder if JuanK can ever design a winning boat again.  It's been how long?

5 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

I wonder if JuanK can ever design a winning boat again.  It's been how long?

Was thinking this myself. After seeing all the latest versions with a winning designer, it feels like a considerable gamble.

He has some impressive support and 3 of the 8 new VG boats in the works.  Corum with Michel Desjoyeaux and Arkea Paprec with Vincent Riou. The third one seems a bit of a TBD.

15 minutes ago, trimfast said:

Was thinking this myself. After seeing all the latest versions with a winning designer, it feels like a considerable gamble.

The evidence points to his winning designs solely being a product of excellent data analysis for the VOR course, mostly with thanks to Stan Honey.  I'm not sure whether Juan lost whatever he once had, or simply got so lucky with an ABN AMRO program that basically created his template for a decade of VOR wins.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jb5 said:

He has some impressive support and 3 of the 8 new VG boats in the works.  Corum with Michel Desjoyeaux and Arkea Paprec with Vincent Riou. The third one seems a bit of a TBD.

Just thinking that third Juan K 'TBD' boat may be the one that's been mentioned as being targeted at the VOR or OR or whatever.  May not be really real as yet.

On 3/21/2019 at 8:45 AM, yl75 said:

And for that the ex PRB boat from Riou as been rebranded as "Arkea Paprec" 

[FINISH] 

#Arkeapaprec passed the brand of San Salvador in the Bahamas this morning at 8 H36' 06 '' French time after 11 days 8 H 55 min and 29 sec crossing!  Vincent Riou

the record is always your Giovanni Soldini Pagina Ufficiale!! 

He will have missed us a little less than 10 hours compared to the time established by the crew of #Maserati in 2012.

" it's disappointing but it was a good workout. It's of course perfectible but thanks to this transat and the one to come to go home, I can show a sports goal on the Bermudes 1000 Race that I will be solo in the month of may. " 

on the way to Miami! 

#TeamArkeaPaprec #RouteDeLaDecouverte #Finish #wssrc

Arkéa JaimeArkea Paprec Group

48 minutes ago, tama_manu said:

[FINISH] 

#Arkeapaprec passed the brand of San Salvador in the Bahamas this morning at 8 H36' 06 '' French time after 11 days 8 H 55 min and 29 sec crossing!  Vincent Riou

the record is always your Giovanni Soldini Pagina Ufficiale!! 

He will have missed us a little less than 10 hours compared to the time established by the crew of #Maserati in 2012.

" it's disappointing but it was a good workout. It's of course perfectible but thanks to this transat and the one to come to go home, I can show a sports goal on the Bermudes 1000 Race that I will be solo in the month of may. " 

on the way to Miami! 

#TeamArkeaPaprec #RouteDeLaDecouverte #Finish #wssrc

Arkéa JaimeArkea Paprec Group

Shame they missed the record.

On the subject of Juan K, he redid the foils of PRB aka Arkea Paprec last year and isn't the Maserati of the 2012 record mentioned the old Ericsson 3 another Juan K?

Would be cool to get a close up look at the redone PRB.

Different kettle of fish to a VG boat, but "Rambler 88" hasn't been a slouch. 

2 hours ago, ALL@SEA said:

True, but not necessarily against a class. But cautiously optimistic.

2 hours ago, ALL@SEA said:

Remind me against what similar sized boats of decent quality has it raced and won.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

Remind me against what similar sized boats of decent quality has it raced and won.

Probably its best effort that springs to mind was a couple of years ago where it nearly beat Comanche across the line, some where in Europe - I'm a bit rusty. I recall the weather was pretty flukey. I didn't say she was a winner (or ground breaking), just no slouch.

On 3/29/2019 at 3:19 PM, jb5 said:

Shame they missed the record.

On the subject of Juan K, he redid the foils of PRB aka Arkea Paprec last year and isn't the Maserati of the 2012 record mentioned the old Ericsson 3 another Juan K?

Would be cool to get a close up look at the redone PRB.

I cant believe that people are still paying that guy to draw things.