oioi

New imoca boats

1 hour ago, jb5 said:

If correct and it doesn't do the VG as a result that would be a massive waste of the boat.  Madness.  Hope its wrong.

Maybe that's the point.  HB was able to choose who they sold the boat to ;)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jb5 said:

If correct and it doesn't do the VG as a result that would be a massive waste of the boat.  Madness.  Hope its wrong.

Down side of the use in TOR: diluting the fleet 

I hope that is certainly not the case. 

No offense to AT or SD, but the most promising British ocean sailor at the moment is Phil Sharp. He's media savvy, speaks and presents himself well, has the Mini and Class 40 exp and results and is comfortable in French, sailing by himself and as part of a small crew. 

Also conveniently leaving the Class 40 circuit and selling his older Mach 40 GBR 130. Lipinski is building a new class 40, so perhaps the Mach 40s, even the most recent ones like Corum are going to be a gen behind after only one season. 

If there was any logic and reason - Vestas 11th HR should support Phil for VG & Ocean Race because he actually has gotten results. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Miffy said:

If there was any logic and reason - Vestas 11th HR should support Phil for VG & Ocean Race because he actually has gotten results. 

For the sake of gossip, it could be a development boat for the VOR.  

1 minute ago, r.finn said:

Exactly this, it’s the most up to date boat available to use as a test bed for the future crewed RTW race. 

6 minutes ago, Miffy said:

I hope that is certainly not the case. 

No offense to AT or SD, but the most promising British ocean sailor at the moment is Phil Sharp. He's media savvy, speaks and presents himself well, has the Mini and Class 40 exp and results and is comfortable in French, sailing by himself and as part of a small crew. 

Also conveniently leaving the Class 40 circuit and selling his older Mach 40 GBR 130. Lipinski is building a new class 40, so perhaps the Mach 40s, even the most recent ones like Corum are going to be a gen behind after only one season. 

Have to agree with you on Phil Sharp.  Was hoping he had brought the current HB somehow.  Maybe he has or will have access to it as you suggest.

Not having Sharp in the next VG and not using the current HB......WTF

Also want to add I'm extremely interested to see what happens to HB future owner sailors because amongst the French scene, there was a undertone of negative attitude re Alex as if the boat Hugo Boss is the only reason he did so well. 

There were a bunch of sister boats built from the same generation - each a little diff but hey - BP was somehow faster with Armel than all these other guys who have wealthy benefactors with money from Monaco or something. 

It isn't just the boat. I hope Alex and his team gets some respect. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Miffy said:

There were a bunch of sister boats built from the same generation - each a little diff but hey - BP was somehow faster with Armel than all these other guys who have wealthy benefactors with money from Monaco or something. 

He's proven himself to be pretty good at one design sailing.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2019 at 11:48 PM, JMore said:

2nd to 5th separated by 6 mins 25 seconds! After 2000nm and 7+ days.

Just fantastic....you know you have been in a race...well done women and men   ..and sponsors

12 hours ago, r.finn said:

11 hours ago, mad said:

Exactly this, it’s the most up to date boat available to use as a test bed for the future crewed RTW race. 

13 hours ago, Chimp too said:

Down side of the use in TOR: diluting the fleet 

There might be a silver lining in some TOR initiatives if they get off the ground for multi purpose (SH and crewed boats) that may in fact strengthen the fleet.

Hopefully in 2-3 years time there will be our race, there will be the Vendée Globe. We are looking to do events in 2023 - which is our 50th Anniversary.

"That will be a shorter crewed race, maybe based in Europe and Asia - we're not sure at the moment.

"Then you've got the Transat Jacques Vabre and the Route du Rhum. As the class strengthens we hope a few of those boats might start doing Sydney Hobart or the other Rolex races as well."

https://www.sail-world.com/news/217397/The-Ocean-Race--Part-2-Expanding-the-Game

The problem is that if Charlie has got HB, they will probably modify to best suit crewed racing, do a load of sailing to test and learn. Use that to design new boat and then use HB for further testing whilst new boat built. To hand to someone for VG would cut that work short before new boat ready. So I don’t see it happening. 

On 5/18/2019 at 7:05 AM, Essex said:

Anyone know who bought HB yet??

ATRacing 'saying goodbye' to the old boat today 

Without question the fastest boat in the Vendee Globe to date. Without question one of the greatest racing boats ever built. We all await the new boat which I suspect will be something to behold.! The graphics of this boat are also the best I have seen. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrafirma said:

Without question one of the greatest racing boats ever built.

Not on the basis of race results! 

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, Chimp too said:

Not on the basis of race results! 

It was until it broke a foil. 

Just now, terrafirma said:

It was until it broke a foil. 

and crashed into some rocks....

A great race boat is one that has an exceptional race record, like Steinlager II or Jamarella. A quick boat that never won anything can’t be called the greatest race boat in my mind.

• Like 1

There was not that much difference between HB and BP in design, nothing that set one really apart. A bit different shape of hull and different foils.
That foil shape is now already outdated.

And in my years in France I never seen AT being treated badly, he is even now in the Imoca board.
Same for Mike Golding and Ellen Macarthur.
But maybe I was tone-deaf to the French sailing scene.

• Like 1

Different hull shape and different foils is quite a bit!

I still think proper narrow is the way to go now they are so dependent on the foils. Sail flat enough so righting arm is as long as possible and keeps it stable but heel just enough to get windward foil clear. Reduce keel cant does side force. Maybe narrow enough for one rudder and then think of an additional appendage that is just there to control trim. And freeboard is just weight. Go virtually fully enclosed and don’t worry about wet decks.

they are tentative and only scratching the surface at the moment.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Chimp too said:

Different hull shape and different foils is quite a bit!

I still think proper narrow is the way to go now they are so dependent on the foils. Sail flat enough so righting arm is as long as possible and keeps it stable but heel just enough to get windward foil clear. Reduce keel cant does side force. Maybe narrow enough for one rudder and then think of an additional appendage that is just there to control trim. And freeboard is just weight. Go virtually fully enclosed and don’t worry about wet decks.

they are tentative and only scratching the surface at the moment.

I’ve posted before about this, I do wonder where we would be in the sailing world if we weren’t constrained by rules and ratings? 

1 minute ago, mad said:

I’ve posted before about this, I do wonder where we would be in the sailing world if we weren’t constrained by rules and ratings? 

Indeed. But I think that within the IMOCA rules there is still a lot further that could be pushed. 

4 minutes ago, Chimp too said:

Indeed. But I think that within the IMOCA rules there is still a lot further that could be pushed. 

Not familiar enough with the rule to say much, but I do wonder how the mast sections will stand up to the new foils and increased righting moment? It’s been mentioned before somewhere. 

They will be tested! The thing to do is not increase RM too much, but rather maintain the RM within the limits but reduce some parasitic effects of achieving that RM, such as weight and drag.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mad said:

Not familiar enough with the rule to say much, but I do wonder how the mast sections will stand up to the new foils and increased righting moment? It’s been mentioned before somewhere. 

I'm of the opinion that the standard mast will become an issue and we could see some mast failures as the loads are not predicted exactly, some designers will push the numbers they do decide to go with or some may simply get the numbers wrong in the first place.  Remember the TJV before the last VG and how many of the brand new foiler's (much less powerful then) had major issues.

It's been discussed before in this thread.

I tend to think that with fewer rules to constrain the class (std mast / keel) some of this could possibly be avoided.  All those very nice videos of the boats with the new huge foils shooting along in pretty flat water are great but these boats will not be in flat water when the time comes.

The TJV this fall should be very interesting just like the TJV before the last VG.

The OD mast and fin are there to try and constrain costs. Making areas like foils and other areas open/poorly ruled far exceeds any cost controls and changes the way the finances are spent. The OD rig is however limiting excess in design.

8 hours ago, LeoV said:

There was not that much difference between HB and BP in design, nothing that set one really apart. A bit different shape of hull and different foils.
That foil shape is now already outdated.

And in my years in France I never seen AT being treated badly, he is even now in the Imoca board.
Same for Mike Golding and Ellen Macarthur.
But maybe I was tone-deaf to the French sailing scene.

those were very different boats, one was more of an all-rounder and the other was a specialized trade winds flyer.

51 minutes ago, 3to1 said:

those were very different boats, one was more of an all-rounder and the other was a specialized trade winds flyer.

Absolutely different, but not as much. But it is al relative, for some an inch is lot for another it is nothing.
I am used to think how water will see a hull...

http://chevaliertaglang.blogspot.com/2017/09/vendee-globe-challenge-2016-2017-yacht.html

for fun replay the last VG
http://tracking2016.vendeeglobe.org/hp5ip0/

2 hours ago, jb5 said:

I'm of the opinion that the standard mast will become an issue and we could see some mast failures as the loads are not predicted exactly, some designers will push the numbers they do decide to go with or some may simply get the numbers wrong in the first place.  Remember the TJV before the last VG and how many of the brand new foiler's (much less powerful then) had major issues.

It's been discussed before in this thread.

I tend to think that with fewer rules to constrain the class (std mast / keel) some of this could possibly be avoided.  All those very nice videos of the boats with the new huge foils shooting along in pretty flat water are great but these boats will not be in flat water when the time comes.

The TJV this fall should be very interesting just like the TJV before the last VG.

Pretty much agree with you on that, but weren’t the current class rules put in place to stop the mast and keel failings that the class had a few years ago?  Also to try and arrest the arms race between the big and smaller teams? 

I don’t think they really foresaw the foiling aspect being as successful as it is. 

2 hours ago, mad said:

Pretty much agree with you on that, but weren’t the current class rules put in place to stop the mast and keel failings that the class had a few years ago?  Also to try and arrest the arms race between the big and smaller teams? 

I don’t think they really foresaw the foiling aspect being as successful as it is. 

Yes my understanding is the standard mast and keel were introduced for the last race at the request of the VG organizers, not the class, to improve the finishing rate as there were a few masts and keels that failed in the previous race in particular.  Not so much a cost saving item.

Now the masts at least have become a limiting factor and we may in fact see failures. Kind of ironic.

2 hours ago, LeoV said:

Absolutely different, but not as much. But it is al relative, for some an inch is lot for another it is nothing.
I am used to think how water will see a hull...

http://chevaliertaglang.blogspot.com/2017/09/vendee-globe-challenge-2016-2017-yacht.html

yes, the differences can be considered relative. where does Chevalier get those lines drawings, straight from the boats' designers?

the rig size on those things always impresses me.

50 minutes ago, 3to1 said:

Mindblowing race for the Chacal and melonBoss,...

always thought about him forcing too much on S.Atlantic... fkng his strbd foil in his early sprint to Cape of GoodHope

If he had not melon his foil, it would have been hard to beat him (even more to Armel)

1 minute ago, Rafael said:

If he had not melon his foil, it would have been hard to beat him (even more to Armel)

All of these "what ifs"...

How about we start seeing some 1st place finishes and then we can talk about how incredible his machine is.

Until then, this whole Hugo Boss program has been nothing short of "meh" - especially with the amount of $$$ invested. 

I do think his boat is the future .. but until it can be far more reliable, and thus reliably finish in the top spot, it's all moot. 

3 hours ago, him&her said:

All of these "what ifs"...

How about we start seeing some 1st place finishes and then we can talk about how incredible his machine is.

Until then, this whole Hugo Boss program has been nothing short of "meh" - especially with the amount of $$$ invested. 

I do think his boat is the future .. but until it can be far more reliable, and thus reliably finish in the top spot, it's all moot. 

Was Just enjoying the tracker, gracias...

But is not only the gold or the bucks, moot, nop.... yaknow it's about daMelonStyle

hUGObOSS2019.jpg

Vamoooooooosss!!!!  Boss

• Like 1

On 5/18/2019 at 6:45 PM, jb5 said:

Have to agree with you on Phil Sharp.  Was hoping he had brought the current HB somehow.  Maybe he has or will have access to it as you suggest.

Not having Sharp in the next VG and not using the current HB......WTF

IF i was ATR (and i'm not) would you want to sell the fastest IMOCA to a VG competitor?  i am guessing whoever has bought the current HB that there is a  'boat cannot race in VG' clause

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SSolo said:

IF i was ATR (and i'm not) would you want to sell the fastest IMOCA to a VG competitor?  i am guessing whoever has bought the current HB that there is a  'boat cannot race in VG' clause

It isn’t a magic boat!! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chimp too said:

It isn’t a magic boat!! 

It can still contend for the next VG win according to AT himself. 

1 hour ago, Chimp too said:

It isn’t a magic boat!! 

But you still wouldn't want one of your closest competitors getting a good jump up the performance ladder by selling it to them. :)

1 hour ago, jb5 said:

http://www.courseaularge.com/tableau-officiel-vendee-globe-20-skippers-course-aux-milles.html

Current table of the VG qualifiers.  Note that finishers of the last VG auto qualify if they wish to run again.

tableau_vendeeglobe_courseaularge.png

I believe that those with new build boats are also guaranteed a place on the start line. The OA are guaranteed to increase the entry limit. Under currently rules both PRB and Banque Pop are both not qualified and have no miles logged putting them at the bottom of the pecking order. I highly doubt the VG will say no to two longstanding partners that have backed sailors in the VG since time began! 

1 hour ago, mad4it said:

I believe that those with new build boats are also guaranteed a place on the start line. The OA are guaranteed to increase the entry limit. Under currently rules both PRB and Banque Pop are both not qualified and have no miles logged putting them at the bottom of the pecking order. I highly doubt the VG will say no to two longstanding partners that have backed sailors in the VG since time began! 

On the highlighted part, the number of entries in previous VG was limited to 30, IIRC, for logistics reasons; that was the maximum number of IMOCA (with their super deep draft) that the port authority could fit in the harbor of Les Sables d'Olonnes...

Does anybody know how they plan to fit more boats in the harbor, if they want to go above and beyond 30 entries? If anything, one would think that those foilers would limit even further the number of entries! Not increase it!

Still limited to 30 by the current rules - and if more than 30 actually qualify, the OA has already provided how it'll select the 30. 

OA gets to appoint skippers having finished the the last VG, skippers entering with a new boat, and then 4 skippers the OA wants to invite - then the remaining spots are filled by # of qualifying nautical miles sailed in the IMOCA series events (with a discount if double handed events). In any case, all the skippers have to submit an application and 20,000 euros by November and ppl can withdraw up until July 2020 and get the full amount back. 

The 2016 NOR said 27 but 29 started, the 2020 NOR says 30. No idea if they want to increase the limit beyond that.

They did increase the requirements for skippers, a lot.
Only races since the last VG count, previously it was the last 2 VG.
Qualifying races are specifically called out. The mandatory solo trip after qualifying in a DH race is 500nm longer.
Qualifying outside a race now requires retirement after "major damage" inside a sanctioned race.

Skipper selection is much more structured instead of the first that complete the requirements.

There is now a time limit, this should be new. (163 days, last finisher in the first edition.)

2 hours ago, mad said:

But you still wouldn't want one of your closest competitors getting a good jump up the performance ladder by selling it to them. :)

It is still a previous generation design

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chimp too said:

A reasonably advanced previous generation.........Either way, it makes sense not to sell it to the competition if you have a buyer willing to pay the same to use it as a trial horse for a crewed race. 

• Like 1

TJV Neal McDonald. Neal will join Alex Le Havre on October 27th

for what will be our very first race onboard the brand new HUGO BOSS boat

finally a date to see the new baby racing

5 hours ago, Rafael said:

TJV Neal McDonald. Neal will join Alex Le Havre on October 27th

for what will be our very first race onboard the brand new HUGO BOSS boat

finally a date to see the new baby racing

So not doing the Fastnet now I guess.  They were mentioned as going to do it.  Build running a bit late maybe?

6 hours ago, mad said:

A reasonably advanced previous generation.........Either way, it makes sense not to sell it to the competition if you have a buyer willing to pay the same to use it as a trial horse for a crewed race. 

Yes it makes competitive sense but it still would be a shame if it isn't run in the VG and basically becomes another forgotten boat.

9 minutes ago, jb5 said:

Yes it makes competitive sense but it still would be a shame if it isn't run in the VG and basically becomes another forgotten boat.

It’s just a boat, they all pretty much get forgotten as they get superseded.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chimp too said:

It was about half a generation ahead of the boats of its era who all took a conservative approach with foils until it was proven they would work. HB worked off the principle that foils would work straight out of the box, skipped the compromised all rounder dali foils and made the boat thinner and made foils that work at their best while reaching and downwind. Remember, about 90% of the VG is downwind/reaching. It's in that middle ground between its cousins and the next generation with über large foils. Yet what we've seen from Charal at least is the French still have SOME compromise for upwind sailing. HB reflects the all or nothing aspect of AT and the VG perfectly. It's the perfect boat and concept to win the VG to say otherwise is stupid. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Raptorsailor said:

It's the perfect boat and concept to win the VG to say otherwise is stupid. 

If that is the case why not just reproduce it? 

It was a step. 4 years on and all new builds should be better, or they have fucked up.

3 hours ago, Chimp too said:

It was a step. 4 years on and all new builds should be better, or they have fucked up.

If they have fucked up then collectively the new builds and retros will be about to flush around €100 million down the toilet? Don't think so.

Follow the money..it never lies.

4 hours ago, Chimp too said:

Note I said the concept.

French are traditionally "conservative" in their approach to technological change and tend to go for incremental change, tweaking and improving the existing - rarely to they do big jumps... Ellen was first to really jump the technology forward and now we have AT and his designer. Both have 'previous' for ignoring trends, examining the data and just 'going for it!'

22 minutes ago, SSolo said:

French are traditionally "conservative" in their approach to technological change and tend to go for incremental change, tweaking and improving the existing - rarely to they do big jumps... Ellen was first to really jump the technology forward and now we have AT and his designer. Both have 'previous' for ignoring trends, examining the data and just 'going for it!'

This, a thousand times this. 

41 minutes ago, SSolo said:

French are traditionally "conservative" in their approach to technological change and tend to go for incremental change, tweaking and improving the existing - rarely to they do big jumps...

18 minutes ago, Raptorsailor said:

This, a thousand times this

This virtual bar gets funnier and more drunk by the moment. Time AA was called in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

If they have fucked up then collectively the new builds and retros will be about to flush around €100 million down the toilet? Don't think so.

Follow the money..it never lies.

We're all waiting for your next highly germane clip from the 90s.  Got anything from Point Break?

(BTW, if you think anything but one handful of the 100M are going FTW, you ain't been around the vendee much!)

• Like 1

Kind of a funny take re French being conservative - I would have said the same about Anglo-English sailors and boat owners and their heavy displacement/lower form stability boats. 

Re imoca - everyone thinking with hindsight can say oh that was a fast boat, but few will appreciate the design meetings and underlying assumptions used to try and build the fastest boat they can. 

In 2012, it ended up being Macif - which is now the Clarisse Cremer Banque Populaire. But again there's a tendency to remove the importance of the program crew and skipper. 

The other fast boat that year? Armel's boat that was launched as Foncia. Who knows what it is called now and under what configuration? Ha it is Sam's current boat rebuilt with foils. 

Few will remember this current Hugo Boss once it is debranded unless it wins. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

We're all waiting for your next highly germane clip from the 90s.  Got anything from Point Break?

(BTW, if you think anything but one handful of the 100M are going FTW, you ain't been around the vendee much!)

"Point Break" and 90's give me a break Clean. Try 60's and "Charlie Don't Surf"...unless foiled up.

5 minutes ago, Miffy said:

Few will remember this current Hugo Boss once it is debranded unless it wins. 

Depends on what else it does.  The double bubble HB is legendary despite being a complete dog, because of its ability to break every sailor

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Depends on what else it does.  The double bubble HB is legendary despite being a complete dog, because of its ability to break every sailor

Every boat yep, sure and some islands w/souvenirs...

but not d Chacal, gBoy, Mich, Joyon, Golding, etc... perdon

3 hours ago, SSolo said:

The French designers even needed AT to drag them kicking and screaming for a sail on lake Geneva on a Quant 36 to even look at using foils.

Infamous is the word. 

That was a Farr design that got butchered by Juan K wasn’t it?

The French designers even needed AT to drag them kicking and screaming for a sail on lake Geneva on a Quant 36 to even look at using foils.

lol, any source about that ? Like foils didn't exist before 2014 or something ..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chimp too said:

That was a Farr design that got butchered by Juan K wasn’t it?

Juan K design that got butchered by Juan K

AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAAA

8 hours ago, SSolo said:

French are traditionally "conservative"

hahahhaaaa

thank god for ignore function.

1 hour ago, JL92S said:

Juan K design that got butchered by Juan K

Was that the Pindar boat before?

here's a wild guess - HB to Conrad Colman 

How about HB for sale but we keep the foils, you make your own?

4 hours ago, btime said:

here's a wild guess - HB to Conrad Colman 

That would mean him finding a major sponsor, I doubt his current ones for the figaro 3 season would be enough (and he said he is looking for a VG sponsor).

On the other hand as he finished the previous one, he comes with an automatic qualification in the proposal.

10 hours ago, mad said:

Yep that’s the one. A mate of mine worked for ATR back then and said the boat was a touch scary. There’s a reason that boat never did any publicity stunts...

• Like 1

On 5/19/2019 at 9:55 PM, mad said:

Fucking oath.

1 hour ago, JL92S said:

Yep that’s the one. A mate of mine worked for ATR back then and said the boat was a touch scary. There’s a reason that boat never did any publicity stunts...

just curious what you mean by scary, because of it's weight and power?

13 hours ago, mad said:

Brian Thompson ran it in the VG and as I recall had a pile of issues but still managed to finish well.  Got very little coverage as I recall which was a shame.  That was the year Foncia won.

10 hours ago, 3to1 said:

just curious what you mean by scary, because of it's weight and power?

Yeah, back when the boat was built there was no mast height limit, Pindar had. 29m rig which is the same as the max limit but with the grandfather rule AT fitted a VO70 spec 33m rig with inboard shrouds and an overlapping J1. Apparently the boat was faster on one rack than the other, it was suspected that when they fitted the new deck they twisted the hull. The boat is also around 10.5 tonnes compared to 6 tonnes for PRB

The new Boss can't be far away from launch. I wonder if Alex will come in with the narrowest boat too? I believe he has designed a robot arm (Above his bunk) to co-incide with his alarm clock so that if the alarm is not answered the arm swings down and taps on him until he awakes. I think this Vendee will no doubt be his last so it's win at all costs. :D

21 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

An article founded on Wellborn press releases is hardly an impartial place to document IMOCA design history from.

It is well documented else where, that was just an example. At the time there were plenty of photos of them out sailing it and ATR said that they instigating it. ATR then worked with Hugh and VPLP for a while before dropping Hugh and carrying on with VPLP alone.

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

Crowdfunding to finance building of Alex's/HB motor/hydro generation unit :-)

Exactly :-) 

Isn't that a little bloody late?

They should ask those narcissist who buy that Boss shit to fund it, or maybe Garage's Brexit party. Bit of a Boss tradition you know.

Some earlier PR stuff from Oceanvolt here:

https://oceanvolt.com/oceanvolt-blog/official-supplier-alex-thomson-racing/

One would think they are being squeezed  by Alex, and/or have a financial problem.

It's Conrad boat from the last VG on the page, so could be more for Conrad ..

10 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

One would think they are being squeezed  by Alex, and/or have a financial problem.

At $20k PLUS for one of their systems they better not have financial problems. 

• Downvote 1

50 minutes ago, Tito said:

At $20k PLUS for one of their systems they better not have financial problems. 

For $20k you’d hope AT and Hugo Boss would just fucking pay for what they want. 

Have they settled the broken foil argument from last time yet?

• Like 1

Looking at it afresh in the morning, it obviously has nothing to do with the new Hugo Boss. Sparrows smiley insinuations got me. I bet the system is being installed in the boat at the moment. Move on, unless you are into equity crowdfunding.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Looking at it afresh in the morning, it obviously has nothing to do with the new Hugo Boss. 

Sparrows smiley insinuations got me. 

It actually has something to do with HB but not directly... never ignore the smiley.

The name "crowdfunding" is the confusing bit as many think it is a online donation platform.

Equity Crowdfunding is a new term for a old financial model and simply gives investors "unlisted shares" in a company (for a small outlay using a online platform) and a return on their investment.

Oceanvolt are using Invesdor a Finnish financial entity to raise money in a regulated financial market. The Oceanvolt product as a environmental offering fits nicely into reasons behind using this quirkly named capital raising approach as shown in graphic below.

One of the reasons for this type of capital raising is that maybe Alex's special setup is eating big time into their R&D budget, an area where debt funding is not attractive to traditional lenders.

That might be a clue to what is eventually revealed could well be very cutting edge for it to work with the constraints of hydro propulsion/power generation on a foiler. Another clue is Oceanvolt have not revealed anything about HB's system. That could be a combination of late development, keeping it a secret and or it is a big leap forward in this arena and a competitive advantage to be kept under wraps.

Slide08-612341-edited.jpg

Btw, Oceanvolt published some white papers on their site, where they claim (range white paper ) :

In a typical real-life scenario, owners notice that they are able to motor roughly three times further with the same amount of fuel, when using the generator and electric engines, compared to only diesels. This is exactly the same principle that is applied in today’s shipping industry – all modern ships have diesel generators powering electric engines due to this efficiency gain.

https://oceanvolt.com/support/downloads/

Due to the dc generator always running at top efficiency rpm, would be nice to have some hard data to back that up..

11 hours ago, mad said:

For $20k you’d hope AT and Hugo Boss would just fucking pay for what they want. 

Have they settled the broken foil argument from last time yet?

Not atr, they have history of screwing people over

• Like 1

Voiles et Voliers had  "workshop" about JK designed new Troussel Imoca, and should published detailed technical aspects about this boat in further articles (not much at all in this first one) :

https://voilesetvoiliers.ouest-france.fr/course-au-large/vendee-globe/vendee-globe-troussel-presente-son-futur-bateau-avec-desjoyeaux-et-kouyoumdjian-cours-d-archi-60c40c70-7e2c-11e9-97fd-27e0a98f92a0

With JK on the far left ..write your own captions. Like;

So JK you promise the keel won't fall off?

Come on guys ..just one lousy goat, give me a break.

Alright JK ..so how long will the bow stay on?

OK maybe a herd of fuckin goats...are you two pricks happy now.

IMG_20190526_055603.jpg

• Like 2

Looks like JK brought his own design of chair with him!

three pillows tied together with a belt

• Like 1