oioi

New imoca boats

You know its light when you can do this on a 50 ft race trimaran;

61792918_2047845565342878_19718490349685

• Like 1

^^Oy vay... Notice how far forward they are as well.  The photographer is probably sitting on a case of wine.

• Like 1

I like the French onboard, except the crumbs of their baguettes in the cockpit , hence send them to the front...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LeoV said:

I like the French onboard, except the crumbs of their baguettes in the cockpit , hence send them to the front...

You might actually want to send them to the back........ The wind will only distribute those crusty crumbs further if up front.

Don't get me started about the adhesive qualities of Camembert and the like, before it then later melts in the sun and becomes a lethal grease spot........ 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Monarch Mike said:

Alex Thomson Racing giving tomorrows date on Facebook, nothing else but 04.06.2019

atr.JPG

Probably one of the most hotly anticipated IMOCA's to date. That's if tomorrow is what they're going to reveal.

That reveal date not very international of ATR. In the US that is April so they missed it, in China really missed it being 4 years after Jesus was born.

it's one of them crazy new fangled water skitters.

hope they added extra carbon.

So the thing was about Karim Rashid design ? We want to see the complete thing ! When ?

6 hours ago, yl75 said:

So the thing was about Karim Rashid design ? We want to see the complete thing ! When ?

Never heard of him but some sort of industrial (?) designer according to Google.  Whatever that is supposed to be. Whole thing was a dud.

If I was designing a 60 using someone else money it would be similar to a orma 60 trimaran , foils instead of amas and water ballast in the wings as well.

Keel only really required to get the stability index up so it could be say 6m long and retractable so that less lead required.

Might look a bit strange but.....fast.

Will this be the new Boss?

2 hours ago, bushsailor said:

If I was designing a 60 using someone else money it would be similar to a orma 60 trimaran , foils instead of amas and water ballast in the wings as well.

Keel only really required to get the stability index up so it could be say 6m long and retractable so that less lead required.

Might look a bit strange but.....fast.

Will this be the new Boss?

AVS is worst case scenario. So would be measured with your keel retracted. So that wouldn’t work. And why water ballast wings if the foils are doing the job?

just go narrow, minimum freeboard, turn the hull into a bullet, minimum fixed keel for AVSwc and side force and use foils for the rest.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chimp too said:

AVS is worst case scenario. So would be measured with your keel retracted. So that wouldn’t work. And why water ballast wings if the foils are doing the job?

just go narrow, minimum freeboard, turn the hull into a bullet, minimum fixed keel for AVSwc and side force and use foils for the rest.

That would honestly be so cool. Just imagine the look on the French sailors face when he rolls into les sables with a cigar thin hull and 25 foot foils XD, the problem would be keeping max RM within the limit of the rule with foils that big

From my understanding, the beam of the new generation is somewhat restricted by shroud geometry, if you go with the one design wing mast.  The hull has to be wide enough to accommodate the lowest shroud (D0) and it doesn't sound like geometry that can be fudged with.  So you'll likely see new boats with the D0 terminating at the chine.

2 minutes ago, r.finn said:

From my understanding, the beam of the new generation is somewhat restricted by shroud geometry, if you go with the one design wing mast.  The hull has to be wide enough to accommodate the lowest shroud (D0) and it doesn't sound like geometry that can be fudged with.  So you'll likely see new boats with the D0 terminating at the chine.

I think they can still opt for the non deck spreader (wing) rig.  I understand its the same tube regardless so you save no weight and lose some sheeting options and hence no one does. However if you want to reduce beam and the deck spreaders are a limiting factor then it may come back into play.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Chimp too said:

Will the new boats be sailable with a destroyed foil like the last VG for Alex? He sailed on because the boat could. If the new boats end up requiring foils for RM and the design leans towards the foil providing everything then I suspect it's game over when they hit a UFO. Just asking?

Terra,

HB got second with one foil last time, but the reality now is that if you lose a foil you are effectively out of contention anyway, with foils being so much more now. So might as well accept that if you get foil damage you are out anyway.

don't think the concern about deck spreader shroud base is an issue either. You just have to be smart about engineering and I don’t think the deck spreaders are strict OD as they have to work with unrestricted beam variations anyway.

6 hours ago, Chimp too said:

Terra,

HB got second with one foil last time, but the reality now is that if you lose a foil you are effectively out of contention anyway, with foils being so much more now. So might as well accept that if you get foil damage you are out anyway.

don't think the concern about deck spreader shroud base is an issue either. You just have to be smart about engineering and I don’t think the deck spreaders are strict OD as they have to work with unrestricted beam variations anyway.

out anyway in terms of a good finish potential very probably but i would also totally expect them to try to finish if they possibly can.  finishing is critical.

it will be very interesting to see if the new foils do contribute to a reduced finishing rate overall or if more foilers fail to finish as a percentage than is the case for non-foilers.  if that happens then i would think the class will react accordingly with new foil/structure rules.

if i recall correctly last time only gitana had a foil related issue and stopped of the foilers.  the rest finished which is a high finishing rate (1 in 6?).  of course with much smaller foils and less foil dependence than is expected with the new and highly modified older boats now.

Given Alex's very real person exp during the VG, capsizing and abandoning HG during the build up in 2015 and salvaging it - abadoning and being rescued by Golding what? 3 cycles ago?

Would be rather strange to gamble his VG legacy on the unrealistic assumption that VG can be won without a contingency buffer. The foilers as a group fared no worse in reliability and gained more daily mileage to divert and avoid weather - but undermining the safety margins created by the imoca (him being on the committee now) does not seem like a winning formula. 

You can't win if your hope is nothing ever fails and your boat is fundamentally unsafe. 

3 hours ago, Miffy said:

You can't win if your hope is nothing ever fails and your boat is fundamentally unsafe. 

Consistency over anything else, otherwise it's just a one trick pony.

If it is the stern of the new boat in below tweet (third pic background), doesn't look much more extreme/skinny than Charal :

Wouldn't be surprised if the foils are quite different though.

Did we all miss the launch of the new Hugo Boss casual carbon line, it's very impressive and Alex is doing a great job, as always.

ob_1bf29c_cpdesignbateauhb-001.jpeg.126a1448798e56f3dd424d8f61743095.jpeg

http://www.actunautique.com/2019/06/le-nouveau-hugo-boss-d-alex-thomson-sous-la-houlette-de-karim-rashid.html

Does anyone on SA actually buy Hugo Boss stuff ever? I am more of a Prada he-man myself...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Does anyone on SA actually buy Hugo Boss stuff ever? I am more of a Prada he-man myself...

Can't be too bad.  Hitler bought heaps of the stuff and that guy was a stickler for his standards and quality control.

23 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Did we all miss the launch of the new Hugo Boss casual carbon line, it's very impressive and Alex is doing a great job, as always.

ob_1bf29c_cpdesignbateauhb-001.jpeg.126a1448798e56f3dd424d8f61743095.jpeg

http://www.actunautique.com/2019/06/le-nouveau-hugo-boss-d-alex-thomson-sous-la-houlette-de-karim-rashid.html

I was a Hugo Boss customer when I was trying to impress people with money.  Now I just wear shorts and flippies.  

1 hour ago, SCARECROW said:

Can't be too bad.  Hitler bought heaps of the stuff and that guy was a stickler for his standards and quality control.

True, but that doesn't make Alex a Chamberlain. And not sure about Prada either, all I know for a fact.that Bertelli sometimes sounds like Mussolini and seems to like art from that period too. https://www.wallpaper.com/art/fondazione-prada-art-exhibitions-fascist-italy .

But let's keep this good thread as clean as possible.

Was that Alex catwalk actually the Hugo Boss "reveal" they were talking about recently, did we get conned?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

True, but that doesn't make Alex a Chamberlain.

Edward!

2 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

Edward!

That was Harry, in his Hugo Boss uniform!

On 6/6/2019 at 6:37 AM, Chimp too said:

Terra,

Stupid question time: Why not stay the rig from the foils? OK, the alignment isn't spot on but is it so far out as to be unworkable? Superficially, it looks like there should be scope to triangulate the structure, such that the deck spreaders and foils are connected or integrated; indeed the loads seem complementary, since both W/W & L/W foils would have to carry an upward vertical force? 

There's presumably a very good reason which will be blindingly obvious when someone's been kind enough to point it out!

Thanks,

W.

W. I think in the designers offices there are al kind of sketches with solutions hanging somewhere. I though the same while back. Will start to resemble a trimaran without floats :) Foils can not be retractable then.
But relative position is a bit tough to solve.
BP5, good pre last Vendee article;

http://www.mysailing.com.au/boats/imocas-from-the-old-to-the-new-generation-of-boats-by-guillaume-verdier
BanquePop-3D-Simplifie.png

• Like 1

No, a bit more creative, break a foil you break foil. The foil is then not attached to the hull any more.
I build this wing section with another guy, maybe that can be used, instead of the float, the foil, and flaps on the wing to sustain flight :)
Talking about T rudders, so stupid, lets go Spoiler... just in good fun ...

Airfish_web1.jpg

Tip & Shaft #163 just published the following on the 35+ skippers hopeful for the next VG.  Sad not to see Phil Sharp listed.  Not a whole lot new but they are saying 8 new boats and 18 foilers in total.  Vendee organizers are standing firm on 30 max entries of which 18 have fully committed to date so they have no issue currently.  Conrad is looking for funding and wants to hire the former Acciona.

Google translation

Candidates identified in the Vendée Globe:

• 8 skippers of a new boat: Beyou (Charal), Sébastien Simon (Arkéa Paprec), Charlie Dalin (Apivia), Alex Thomson (Hugo Boss), Nicolas Troussel (Corum), Kojiro Shiraishi (DMG Mori), Armel Tripon ( L'Occitane)and Thomas Ruyant.
  • 8 finishers of the Vendée Globe 2016: Fabrice Amedeo (Newrest-Art & Windows), Louis Burton (Bureau Vallée), Arnaud Boissières (La Mie Caline-Artipôle), Alan Roura (La Fabrique), Jean Le Cam (Yes We Cam)Romain Attanasio (Pure), Conrad Colman, Sebastien Destremau (Ocean front).

All selected automatically, subject to complete their qualification.

• The other 20 will be decided by the number of miles covered in casethere are more than 30 qualified registered after the New York-Vendée in June 2000, the final registration date is July 1, 2020: Boris Herrmann (Malizia II-Yacht Club Monaco), Stéphane Le Diraison (Time for Oceans),Manu Cousin (Setin Group), Alexia Barrier (4myplanet): 6250 miles accumulated; Damien Seguin (Apicil Group), Ari Huusela (Ariel II): 5600;Erik Nigon (Towards a world without AIDS): 3600; Sam Davies (Initiatives Heart): 2540; Yannick Bestaven (Master CoQ): 2452; Giancarlo Pedote (Prysmian Group), Maxime Sorel (V & B-Sailing Together), Clement Giraud (The Flying by Fortil), Miranda Merron (Campagne de France), Pip Hare, Denis Van Weynbergh (EYESEA): 2000; Isabelle Joschke (MACSF): 1 102; Kevin Escoffier (PRB), Clarisse Cremer (Banque Populaire), Yoann Richomme (Vivo Beira), Benjamin Dutreux not have any thousand.
  • Like 2

So who will get the 4 starting places that are by invitation of the organizer?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Chasm said:

My money is on nationality/gender/messaging-story telling. 

Kojiro was relatively unknown but left a strong impression with his stoic optimistic positive videos and worked really hard at expanding his presence and now has a new foiling boat and potentially start of something long-term for Japanese involvement in ocean sailing. 

Perhaps other entrants this cycle with very small programs can be given the opportunity to do the same. 

Cremer is relatively inexperienced but her effort at creating her own funding stream and being engaged on media/while also delivering a 2nd place series finish on her first minitransat? Much more worthy of an invite (not saying she will need it vs outright qualifying based on eventually more miles) than some folks whose name has been around for decades, don't give a shit/or limited ability on the "communication" aspect. 

1 hour ago, Chasm said:

being somewhat cynical anyone with a sponsor based in or around Vendee.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2019 at 10:22 PM, Miffy said:

My money is on nationality/gender/messaging-story telling. 

Kojiro was relatively unknown but left a strong impression with his stoic optimistic positive videos and worked really hard at expanding his presence and now has a new foiling boat and potentially start of something long-term for Japanese involvement in ocean sailing. 

Perhaps other entrants this cycle with very small programs can be given the opportunity to do the same. 

Cremer is relatively inexperienced but her effort at creating her own funding stream and being engaged on media/while also delivering a 2nd place series finish on her first minitransat? Much more worthy of an invite (not saying she will need it vs outright qualifying based on eventually more miles) than some folks whose name has been around for decades, don't give a shit/or limited ability on the "communication" aspect. 

Kojiro is building a new boat, so he is automatically in and doesn't need to be invited. However I think you're right, if she find herself in trouble regarding the schedule, Clarisse Cremer would a strong candidate to receive an invitation, based on her potential and profile. You would also think BP has the lobbying power to make it happen. I really hope she'll make it to the start line.

They also said they have to consider going past 30 boats and maybe expand the pontoons, but it's hard to convince the decision makers (I guess the city of Les Sables?) when as of right now far less than 30 boats are actually registered and qualified for the race. 

31 minutes ago, GibGibGib said:

They also said they have to consider going past 30 boats and maybe expand the pontoons, but it's hard to convince the decision makers (I guess the city of Les Sables?) when as of right now far less than 30 boats are actually registered and qualified for the race. 

I don't think the city of Les Sables would be a blocking point at all, in fact the city partly owns the race, as well as the Vendée region.(maybe some people in the harbour would be pissed though).

Below the list of shareholders of the SAEM(status mixing government entities and private ownership) Vendée globe:

https://www.vendeeglobe.org/fr/la-saem-vendee

Not sure of the vintage, but this video from kite surfer Sam Light, one of the best in the UK, is fun view of Alex and Hugo Boss.

• Like 2

On 6/11/2019 at 1:10 PM, yl75 said:

I don't think the city of Les Sables would be a blocking point at all, in fact the city partly owns the race, as well as the Vendée region.(maybe some people in the harbour would be pissed though).

Below the list of shareholders of the SAEM(status mixing government entities and private ownership) Vendée globe:

https://www.vendeeglobe.org/fr/la-saem-vendee

From what I understood, the issue was that the harbour would have to undergo a pretty extensive rebuild/extension to accommodate more than 30 boats (especially with the larger foilers now), hence why the city may not be willing to pay for it. I don't know, I might be wrong, can't really remember the source for that. 

Is there a business reason to make the investment to allow more entrants?

I imagine we would get a dilution of the field so the elites are less elite and the Corinthians lose their stories in a crowded field. 

I'm thinking it could risk costing folks like Kojiro, Destremau, Pip Hare, Huusela, Edna or Coleman would have their VG narratives lost in a field of too many names and identities to follow. 

On 6/11/2019 at 12:04 PM, TheDragon said:

Not sure of the vintage, but this video from kite surfer Sam Light, one of the best in the UK, is fun view of Alex and Hugo Boss.

Funny thing about that "race", the kites and foils were all freeride gear. Sam's super talented, but he's not a racer either. Sorta crazy to see Hugo Boss get beat by a foil setup like that... I wonder if Alex was actually pushing it, or if it was a made for TV loss. 

On 6/12/2019 at 5:24 PM, GibGibGib said:

From what I understood, the issue was that the harbour would have to undergo a pretty extensive rebuild/extension to accommodate more than 30 boats (especially with the larger foilers now), hence why the city may not be willing to pay for it. I don't know, I might be wrong, can't really remember the source for that. 

To solve the space issue, I’d split the fleet into Corinthian and Pro divisions (or whatever terms they’d prefer). Send the Corinthians a week early. The pros can’t dock until the Corinthians have started. They can either anchor in the harbor or arrive later. That should almost double the capacity for boats. It would also create more attention for the corinthians, since they’re going for their own podium spots as well. Hell, it’d even improve safety because the total fleet would stay bunched up longer. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, tDot said:

Funny thing about that "race", the kites and foils were all freeride gear. Sam's super talented, but he's not a racer either. Sorta crazy to see Hugo Boss get beat by a foil setup like that... I wonder if Alex was actually pushing it, or if it was a made for TV loss. 

The only thing faster than a kite on the water is a little boat called sailrocket 2. Don't get me wrong HB is still fast, but kites will be faster in these conditions. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Monkey said:

To solve the space issue, I’d split the fleet into Corinthian and Pro divisions (or whatever terms they’d prefer). Send the Corinthians a week early. The pros can’t dock until the Corinthians have started. They can either anchor in the harbor or arrive later. That should almost double the capacity for boats. It would also create more attention for the corinthians, since they’re going for their own podium spots as well. Hell, it’d even improve safety because the total fleet would stay bunched up longer. 

I think the "village" thing at the start last more than a week, it would be better to put the Corinthian in another harbour and have the same start, however with such high draft, there are not many in the region (if any)

41 minutes ago, yl75 said:

I think the "village" thing at the start last more than a week, it would be better to put the Corinthian in another harbour and have the same start, however with such high draft, there are not many in the region (if any)

The start village will be open for about 2 weeks, there's no point splitting the fleet, its beside the point of the VG. IMO keep it at 30 boats max, keep the exclusivity, it will increase the competition to qualify.

• Like 1

AT receives the French Ordre national du Mérite (National Order of Merit) for his contribution to sailing.

That is pretty special in anyone's language.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

AT receives the French Ordre national du Mérite (National Order of Merit) for his contribution to sailing.

That is pretty special in anyone's language.

Well if you kiss enough Frogs....

8 hours ago, GBH said:

Well if you kiss enough Frogs....

Mate you probably think you are being Anglo funny....you aren't and so you certainly don't appreciate the subtle but very powerfull message from the cloistered French sailing community at large underlying that award whether you like AT or not. He is the first Briton ever to  crack that respect nut that I can recall.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Mate you probably think you are being Anglo funny....you aren't and so you certainly don't appreciate the subtle but very powerfull message from the cloistered French sailing world underlying that award whether you like AT or not. He is the first Briton ever to crack that respect nut that I can recall.

Not sure, Ellen Mac Arthur also had major recognition in France, and so does Sam, or Mike Golding.

In fact Ellen got the "chevalier de la Légion d’honneur" medal  in 2008.

I'm not an expert in these medals things, but I think it is better :)

7 minutes ago, yl75 said:

Not sure, Ellen Mac Arthur also had major recognition in France, and so does Sam, or Mike Golding.

I think you missed the "respect" point coming from a place where that was lacking..and if you are into lists Paul McCartney also got a gong.

2 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

I think you missed the point..like Paul McCartney also got a gong.

What do you mean ? the point is whether "chevalier de la légion d'honneur" is better or not than "ordre national du mérite", I think it is, and it happened earlier for sure.

1 minute ago, yl75 said:

What do you mean ? the point is whether "chevalier de la légion d'honneur" is better or not than "ordre national du mérite", I think it is, and it happened earlier for sure.

Your point not mine..forget it you don't get it.

1 minute ago, yl75 said:

In fact Ellen got the "chevalier de la Légion d’honneur" medal  in 2008.

I'm not an expert in these medals things, but I think it is better :)

I think the journey to respect has been harder for Alex - Sam is basically international/French/transcends nationality & I feel like EMA, gender became more salient "story" than nationality. I think Alex made some huge inroads in getting fans back in 2012 when he had early problems, fixed them, volunteered to slow down and stay in the vicinity of JeanPierre I think near the Azores because of some low pressure & keel issues. 

But until Hugo Boss broke a foil & he made his hard charging effort after passing Cape Horn up the south atlantic - even French imoca colleagues were opening saying they were rooting for Armel & sort of a low key insult (effusive praise of the boat) as if the skipper had no role in its inception/performance. 

It is part of the French sporting psyche IMO - if you're foreign, you're not going to have as many fans unless you keep failing but trying/show massive heart or make an effort to adopt French. Jan Ullrich wasn't much liked when he won the TdF, but continuously failing & coming 2nd & fighting thru injuries & slowing metabolism/fat made him more popular than while he was winning. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Your point not mine..forget it you don't get it.

The point is that you are wrong on this one, simple.

I think Alex image is quite complicated : broke a lot of boats, does marketing stunts, but clearly push designs, makes a point of building his boats in the UK, Welsh and not English, should have won the last VG if he didn't break a foil, should have won the last RdR if he didn't crash into an island, etc

But for sure him winning the next VG would be great

1 minute ago, yl75 said:

The point is that you are wrong on this one, simple.

You are the only one point measuring over some right or wrong shit. Mine is an opinion. Yours I couldn't give a fuck about.

5 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

You are the only one point measuring over some right or wrong shit. Mine is an opinion. Yours I couldn't give a fuck about.

The point is that Ellen got "chevalier de la légion d'honneur"(from the president), before Alex getting "ordre national du mérite"(from the ambassador), so your opinion that :

"He is the first Briton ever to  crack that respect nut that I can recall."

Is totally spaced out, that is all

16 minutes ago, yl75 said:

The point is that Ellen got "chevalier de la légion d'honneur"(from the president), before Alex getting "ordre national du mérite"(from the ambassador), so your opinion that :

"He is the first Briton ever to  crack that respect nut that I can recall."

Is totally spaced out, that is all

Comprehension isn't your strong point is it. Concentrate on the words "respect" and "coming from a place where that was lacking"

44 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

I think you missed the "respect" point coming from a place where that was lacking..and if you are into lists Paul McCartney also got a gong.

Ok I'm not sure about the McCartney + gong reference.

But about Alex and respect, it is a mute point.

On 6/20/2019 at 10:22 PM, Chasm said:

Did Alex get anything from Grandma Buckingham yet?

Only if he wins a certain race. You see, the standards are a lot higher in the UK,

1 hour ago, Raptorsailor said:
On 6/20/2019 at 10:22 PM, Chasm said:

Did Alex get anything from Grandma Buckingham yet?

Only if he wins a certain race. You see, the standards are a lot higher in the UK,

Considering they hand out honours etc free with boxes of breakfast cereal, I'd say the standards are pretty low actually. 

9 hours ago, mad said:

Considering they hand out honours etc free with boxes of breakfast cereal, I'd say the standards are pretty low actually. 

who knew

9 hours ago, mad said:

It may surprise some but most honorees are asked before announcement whether they would accept the honor.

I would not be surprised if AT was offered MBE at some point after a few VGs & respectfully declined as he may feel he hadn't achieved what he set out to do yet. Just a thought.

On 6/25/2019 at 8:07 PM, Miffy said:

It may surprise some but most honorees are asked before announcement whether they would accept the honor.

I would not be surprised if AT was offered MBE at some point after a few VGs & respectfully declined as he may feel he hadn't achieved what he set out to do yet. Just a thought.

And quite a few notable and other unknown names turn the offer down, just take a look at the broadsheets that publish the list at award ceremony! It’s 2 full pages in very small print, It ceased to mean anything in real terms decades ago. 

You’ve reached real desperation levels for social acceptance if you resort to using it as a title or a way to gain an advantage. 

9 hours ago, 3to1 said:

this thread should be in 'ocean racing anarchy'.

Clear, and better stopping posting anything in it until it is moved where it belongs(the case for most of the moved threads btw) 

18 hours ago, DtM said:

^^^^^^  this

F'n mess

• Like 1

If we can't move it, maybe we can wiggle it out of here.

Still hard to imagine Hugo Boss is going to be in the hands of someone with no aspirations for VG and going to be a dock queen. 

9 hours ago, southerncross said:

That looks awesome. 

7 hours ago, Varan said:

How now scow bow.

Because the IMOCA rating prevents it. If I remember well, there is a maximum width stipulated at a specific distance from the bow, which makes the forward end a (somewhat) pointy end...

As far as I know, all new boats are maxed out on this rating measurement so they have the fullest possible bow.

2 hours ago, Laurent said:

As far as I know, all new boats are maxed out on this rating measurement so they have the fullest possible bow

However, isn't this a moot point now that boats are transitioning to partially or fully foiling?

As a matter of fact being counter productive due to increased weight and areodynamic drag...

2 minutes ago, Tito said:

However, isn't this a moot point now that boats are transitioning to partially or fully foiling?

As a matter of fact being counter productive due to increased weight and areodynamic drag...

You still need to reach the threshold boat speed for the foil to generate enough lift to get (most of ) the hull out of the water. If that "fat bow" helps you reach that threshold boat speed earlier on, in the grand scheme of things,  it still is most probably a win.

• Like 1

Not a straightforward answer and depends on the expected conditions you're intending your boat to have to manage. 

Foils that providing more lift/righting moment than the keel/hull can balance create a fast top speed but avg slower boat that is pitching, unsteady course, hard to trim modes for and harsh on the sailor and equipment. 

If the hull form creates more RM and is stable without a dramatic increase in surface drag/wetted surface, the foils can be smaller and more robust/lighter/cheaper. 

Like all things of design, you're looking at moving puzzle where if you move a slider over it affects the other pieces. 

Remember Hugo Boss is the most extreme of that generation and dominated in heavy/medium downwind conditions because it can maintain a good avg with less sail area and lower continuous loads. 

In Middle Sea/Fastnet where there's more variety of conditions, even an older boat like SMA/Current Cremer BP can be faster than Hugo Boss. 

As the phrase in English says, more than one way to skin a cat. 

• Like 1