• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

echo

AIS VHF

I need a new VHF fixed mount w/ ram. Why should pony up for AIS? I sail inshore and near shore coastal SC around Charleston.

I need a new VHF fixed mount w/ ram. Why should pony up for AIS? I sail inshore and near shore coastal SC around Charleston.

Yes. Super useful, peace of mind, hail big ships by name, all for a very few extra bucks. Recent units have their own internal GPS, so it functions as a backup nav as well. Many people including me really like Standard Horizon for this.

Very little cost to get it in the VHF and as noted above - worth it for the peace of mind and taking the guess work of who is going where at what speed and bearing.

Thanks, do you guys have a favorite? I'm partial to Standard Horizon. My Icom Hand Held was crap.

do you have a chartplotter., or maybe a laptop?

where do you plan to display the AIS data?

I have a Raymarine CP and no lap top. I am thinking about a tablet. Android system. The Radio will be at the nav. station below deck w/ ram mic at the helm

I know of two boats with the Standard Horizon GX2100 / GX2150. Works really well.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/standard-horizon-gx2150

AIS built in for little more than most VHF units, aerial sharing integrated too, so no need to buy an often problematic separate VHF aerial splitter.

Display on the small LCD screen or output to plotter via NMEA. Simple, elegant, inexpensive, effective. Why wouldn't you?

I have the 2150 and ram 3 mike connected to a Garmin 440.

Aside from some issues with the Garmin not being NMEA 0183 compliant. I like the setup. There are times I wish I had gotten a class b transponder but those are few. Did have an issue with the Ram3 getting water clogged in a rainstorm and had to use a portable to contact the bridges. Soon after that the mike showed signs of water intrusion. As if now awaiting to see if they repair it under warranty.

All in all not a bad investment.

I've got the Standard Horizon, and am happy with it. Using NMEA 0183 it runs to my Lowrance plotter nicely. Because I also wanted radar overlay my NMEA wiring got to the point where I bought a multiplexor (Shipmodul, in my case) and so the next thing I know AIS is on the iPad too.

The only downside I can see with an AIS VHF is that when you want to be able to join the transmitting side of AIS you need to start over, but the incremental cost of adding AIS to a fixed mount VHF is so small that I think it is still a worthwhile step.

I have the Simrad RS35 with built in AIS and LOVE it. One cool feature of this unit is that it has a wireless remote unit that you can keep at the helm (Simrad HS35)

+1 for the Standard Horizon AIS VHF. Works well, as advertised,all features available on the remote mike, interfaces to our chartplotter.

If you can hail a ship by name, our experience is that they'll almost always respond; if you try to hail a ship w/o its name, don't expect a response.

+1 on Standard Horizon. I have the 2150 + ram linked to a Raymarine e7D and it has been rock solid. Very handy spotting big boats when heading in to a shipping channel.