• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bob Perry

Raise a glass tonight to Spike

Tomorow is Spike's birthday. I'm not sure how old he would have been. Doesn't matter anymore. He's 30 years old forever.

But he would like us to have a drink and he was not much of a drinker but he could make amazing run drinks. "Hey Spike, can I finish your's?"

So tonight and tomorrow, if anything is bothering you try to put it in perspective. Most things you can fix. Some things you can't.

I am proud of my boy. I will love him forever. He'd be happy knowing a bunch of whacky SA'ers were toasting him.

To Spike!

July4th2008j_zps80d5e21a.jpg

Spike. I never knew you but feel like I do. You have made your Father so proud and that is a goal that many men never attain. I'm sure that you have done so by merely being yourself and that makes it all the more of a lasting achievement. I'm having a Rum and TIng as I speak and hoist it in your memory and honor. Sail on, Brother!

+1.

Bob, as those scholarships show, he is not done with any of us just yet.

It gets easier when you lose someone close but things are never the same.

Look after yourself today mate.

Here's to Spike - Forever young and forever in our hearts.

Here's to Bob - who raised him and let us share our love for him.

Here's to you Spike.

And to you, too, Bob.

Here's to Spike, and here's to Bob

From the great unwashed SA mob

Our manners are poor, our language is rough

And Spike wouldn't approve of the bubble in our luff

But we don't care because we're all there

For Spike

For Bob

And that's enough

Abajo!

It's early morning here. My little boys have just woken up. First I was annoyed that they are up so early, ruining my precious, calm coffee-time I love in the morning. You made me realize how wrong I am sometimes. I'll go upstairs and give them a big hug now. Thank you.

View:

Right.

That is on the river on the way out to the Ranch. I spotted that Pelican tangled in fishing line and snagged on a log. He was going to die. Nobody had a knife but we found a good shard of pop bottle and used it to free the bird from the line.

It was just something that needed to be done.

Happy birthday Spike! Today is dedicated to you.

May the road rise to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
And rains fall soft upon your fields.
And may God hold you in the hollow of His hand.

Prost, and Happy Birthday Spike.

My choice was a nice 21yr old Eldorado blue label rum that was a gift from my son Matt...seemed like the perfect choice.

Spike, I never you knew. But you made you Dad proud, and that's a fine achievement.

No rum here on the River Shannon, but I'll raise a glass of our local firewater to celebrate life. Yours, your Dad's, and everybody's

To Spike.

And to all who have loved and are loved.

"A flower that blossoms only for a single night does not seem to us on that account less lovely."

--- Sigmund Freud, Essay on Transience

Mad:

That photo was taken on one of the small ships Spike worked on as assistant engineer. They served the small towns in the islands of Alaska where the town had no off loading capability of their own. He saw some marvelous country and he loved going to sea. He wasn't wild about the lack of a social life the seafaring career gave him. In the end he took a job at Ballard Ornamental Iron. He took a huge cut in pay but he enjoyed the work and he began to have a social life.

Spikehammerring_zps8b68ea93.jpg

Spike made some videos where he strapped his GoPro camera to his weldiing helmet and just recorded himself working. He doesn't talk in these videos. He just works. He was happy working at the forge.

Raised a glass last night. Happy Birthday Spike.

All the best to you and yours Bob. Give Jill, Max and family hugs. They are good for you and them.

It's a calm, cool morning here in Berkeley aboard Skol. I saw this thread around 10:30 a.m. and then rushed over to my icebox and withdrew a cold microbrew. From astern I raised my bottle and addressed an audience of grebes, terns, snowy egrets, and the bobbing head of our fairway seal. Skol Spike! I shouted. I then poured a drink for King Neptune, and then finally raised my bottle a final time for you, Bob. May peace be with you today.

-Ike

To Spike.

To his Dad and his Mom and his Brother, and all those who were blessed for having him touch their lives.

Fair Winds always.

Bob,

Cheers to Spike, you, and your family.

Thanks for sharing your perspective on not sweating life's fixable problems. It takes a generous person to turn his own pain into comforting words for others. From all you have shared about Spike, I imagine he is pleased.

Alby:

That is kind of what I have in mind.

Life is fragile.

Take no one for granted.

Tell the people you love that you love them everyday. They may not be there tomorrow.

Show your love with confidence. Love is well received.

Understand that there is a pain beyond all other pains.

When the doctor says, "This is going to hurt." I can look him in the eye and say, "No it won't."

Burp

Robert,

You will kindly forgive me for instead of raising that first glass to your beloved son, if instead I raise it to you. Why you might think? Simple, I know Spike is in good hands, in a peaceful place with friends eternal. I would prefer to drink to you. To wish you closure and peace of your own. You have made many a friend here and around the world. Know we love you and care deeply. The second glass I raise will be for Spike and his birthday.

Sincerely,

JT

6:

Yes, I can see that. It humbles me and reminds me of the quality of people out there I have never met but they care and they feel. Kind of amazing. Thanks.

Tonight I cook Spike's favorite dinner, chicken in a white sauce over rice. I'm really good at this dish. I learned it from THE JOY OF COOKING. It was one of those dishes I cooked early on in my cooking life when I looked down at the pot, took a deep whiff and thought to myself, "I can't believe I made this." But I did and Spike loved it. I'll throw in a few extra red pepper flakes tonight because Spike liked it with a bite. Apple pie for desert. Spike's favorite desert.

It's all good.