Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

armac

Dead Guy Sailing-sailing with cancer

I have metastisized kidney cancer, recently found, and am in my first round of "targeted therapy". As much as this sucks, I'm determined to keep my sailing projects going. What I'm looking for is Anarchists who may be in similar straits, and your methods of coping. What are your sailing "bucket lists" and are you getting them done before you're done?

Since I'm posting this in SA, and have kind of a twisted sense of humor, any gallows humors is welcome. I'm not interested in goopy sympathy, or how (insert religion or belief here) can help me. I am interested in remission, but since the physical form of that isn't guaranteed, am in the process of "remissioning" my life, and sailing will be a large part of that.

Thanks in advance.

Don't plan, do.

Rob

That's fucked up, and am always sorry as hell to hear of another Anarchist in health trouble, but I sure like your attitude. Best of luck and if there is anything we can do, let us know. Actually, I'll put this up on the front page and see what happens.

BVI is on our bucket list. My boys and I lost my wife/their mom in a car accident last year. I'm "remissioning" too. We plan on getting down there over the next couple of summers in our new-to-us boat.

Go have fun arm. Sail the hell out of what's left. That's what we're doing.

I had a large tumor. During the period where we did not know if it had metastisized, I just kept busy to cope.

Just sail. Sail as often and as long as you can. Hopefully your boat doesn't require a lot of work, so you can just focus on sailing.

And sex. If you've got a significant other, pork their livin' brains out, whenever you're not sailing. ;)

"Knock the bottom outta that thang"

I had a large tumor. During the period where we did not know if it had metastisized, I just kept busy to cope.

Just sail. Sail as often and as long as you can. Hopefully your boat doesn't require a lot of work, so you can just focus on sailing.

And sex. If you've got a significant other, pork their livin' brains out, whenever you're not sailing. ;)

"Knock the bottom outta that thang"

I struggle to remission my life, meaning to make sure I spend as much time as possible doing things I love with people I love. I'm sorry your wake up call to this mission was so blunt, and wish you the best. I think Maine is worth coming to to sail no matter where in the world you are, and you are close. Come on up next summer- I'd love to take you sailing.

Hey Rob,

Gallows humor is the best. I had cancer several years ago, met my wife racing while on chemo and completely bald...everywhere, and we are still married. It's all about frame of mind and attitude. Keep having fun and don't let bad days get in the way. I didn't stop partying or sailing or anything. I think rum kills more cancer than chemo!!! Don't worry about a bucket list! Just go do what makes you feel good and stick with the friends that make you laugh and you'll make it. Oh, and sex every day....not by yourself...

personal racing list: transpac (#1 by a longshot), hobart, big boat series, fastnet. Im not sure how much progress im making towards them (between other regattas and now work), but, someday...

Good luck, and whatever you sail, sail the hell out of it.

Awesome response, makes my day.

Tucky- I want to come your way and do the Race Rocks next fall. Boat should be done by then.

Eveyone else-watch out for the fucker with the hood and scythe, he often sends out a lovely fallen angel with a baseball bat, just to get your attention......

Scotland distilleries Sail tour!

mine would be to do a race week with my father/brother/sister whatever the race week is.

i have key west targeted one day.

sell everything, buy a wally and load it up with hookers and blow

Good attitude Armac. I have had my share of 'little' inconveniences. 2 heart attacks, lung surgery, 2 new knees, PTSD, among other things. Can't do anything on a boat but sit. That's ok, I can be on a boat! I love black humor, the darker the better. So Mrs. Kennedy, other than that how did you like Dallas? My daughter told me when she was about 7 or 8 years old, "Don't worry daddy, when life gives you watermelons, make lemonade!" I still think about that years later when I get a little down. I'm still makin' lemonade!

Bucket list items for me:

Sail the Chicago-Mac race: Done

Swim across the Mackinaw Straights: Too old for that now.

Sail a race through Eggemoggin reach (Maine)

Sail in the Sydney-Hobart race

Scuba dive Truk Lagoon

Sleep with Sandra Bullock

I have others, but they are not really sailing related.

Are you interested in playing the "dead man sailing" pity card? I bet you could get some sweet rides in some nice regattas. The Heineken Regatta in St. Maarten comes to mind. Charleston Race Week is coming up in the US. Or Figawi Race Weekend a bit closer to NY.

- Jasen.

There ya go. Then just have them roll you off the stern when you're done.

I have not posted on SA in awhile but this thread really grabbed me.

I personally would like to one day do a transatlantic delivery.

As for cancer, you may want to consider reaching out to Gary Jobson or reading his book. As a sailor who has Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, Gary might have some insights or advice that would be not only relevant but helpful to you as you begin the treatment process.

To round the Horn. Maybe with Skip Novak's Pelagic group or something comparable. To me that has always been the Everest. But I am a romantic. When Sen. Ed Kennedy checked himself out of Bethesda with an incurable brain tumour he told reporters that he was going sailing. I told my wife to expect that I would do same.

My problem is that damn Greek Arthritis and old age. Certainly not as serious as your cancer but still a pain in the ass (actually legs). I have been in a bit of a funk about this lately, but your comments have made me realize that I need to change my attitude and continue to sail as much and as often as I can. Thank you very much for the post. What a wonderful way to handle what life deals you. You rock.

My sailing bucket list is pretty simple:

1. Get a brand new sport boat and race in a 100 boat regatta

2. Get a foiling multi and see how face I can make it go

3. Do the Heineken and other major regattas in paradise

Keep your chin up and keep sailing.

Swim across the Mackinaw Straights: Too old for that now.

Are you older than Diana Nyad?

I have been fortunate and had the opportunity to race and sail in the majority of the regattas and locations that have been mentioned in this thread. In the end, it isn't the regatta location that I remember as well as the team and what we achieved together. The right team can make any regatta special. Sail with people you care about, respect and with whom you share a common goal.

In the process of clearing out my father's belongings after passing from cancer this last year, I came across his log books from over 15 transpac races including the 5 I sailed with him. These log books are a biography of all of the crew that sailed with him. They include names such as George Olson, Bill Lee, Irv Loube and Dave Wahle. Sure, I remember the events, the results but what makes the log books interesting are the people.

Malcolm

Do what the rest of us who have had our world knocked from under us.

Get back on and ride harder.

The bucket list will get expensive. I almost went broke but at least I got to see many places I had never sailed before.

That is just sailing around the US, I Haven't made it to Europe yet.

Bob,

I'm sure Doug Fryer would enjoy having you on Night Runner for the 2015 Van Isle. He likes experience crew. :)

Moe

My dad is 92, so chances are he won't live more than 20 or so more years. At this moment, he is sailing (on a Windstar cruise) out of Barbados with his girlfriend. All the best to you!

Vavau, Tonga. Amazing archipelago for cruising, swimming with humpback whales, exploring (diving/snorkeling) underwater caves. Locals are overwhelming.

go for it and good luck!

People in China buy kidneys. Sell the worst one there to the kind of person who would buy his way up a transplant list. Charge a lot, and blow the dough on your bucket list.

BVI with my wife and daughters. My dad - recently deceased - took us there as a family twice when I was a kid. I would love to give my kids the same experience.

Hold fast, armac!!

Awesome response, makes my day.

Tucky- I want to come your way and do the Race Rocks next fall. Boat should be done by then.

Eveyone else-watch out for the fucker with the hood and scythe, he often sends out a lovely fallen angel with a baseball bat, just to get your attention......

If there is anything I can do to help, let me know. I've been trying to get my boat into that race myself- its a good one. Leave time for a little cruising.

I have always wanted to sail around Vancouver Island.

did that last summer,.... well part of it. I was on the offshore leg from Port Hardy to Victoria. I would recommend this for anyone's bucket list. Be sure not to go sight seeing at Bull Harbor or your bucket list may be brought up short quickly. There's a pack of hungry wolves on that island looking for dinner after killing all the deer.

Rob,

Well, you already know what I think about this. Too close to all this cancer shit right now to add to the humor, sorry. Lost someone in Dec. Hell, even the dogs around here are getting it.

I'm a big supporter of your project. But I know you have another boat and then there's your boy to think of. So, if it were me, I'd leave the Olson project for now and take my son on some extended cruises to some interesting places, maybe East Canadian Coast via Maine. It's got to be beautiful. Something neither of you will ever forget.

Getting laid often is a given. Play the dying - guy card. Works better than a puppy.

You have the right attitude. I'm sure you've read it or heard it, but I think Tecumseh's advice is the best for any situation.

"So live your life, so that fear can never enter your heart......

When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home."

I'd take everyone I know for a sail and let them see what the fuss is about. They've heard me yammer about it enough, now it's time to share it with them.

I sailed with a guy who had colon cancer, what he did was buy a Bowman 46 yawl from an odd French chap. He spent a year working on it in Turkey and sailing it to scicily. Then him and some students (myself included) sailed it back to the UK. We essentially had a fine dining tour along the coast of Europe. I can recommend Nazare in Portugal, Benodet in Brittany for sure from that! Now she's moored off his house on the Isle of Wight.

On the slightly blacker side I've heard stories of a funeral director who owned a J109. He wanted to write off taxes on the boat so declared it as a funeral boat. Apparently he'd scatter ashes as he crossed the RYS start line in races.

I had a renal cell tumor a few years back. Luckily there was no metastasis, and I've been cancer-free for 10 years. Beware the post-nephrectomy hangovers. I was not prepared for that.

As for the sailing bucket list, I think you should sail with good friends as often as you can. Anytime. Anyplace. I've sailed some incredible races with assholes and some terrible races with my buddies; and the latter is definitely preferable. Sure, it'd be cool to play the dying-guy card and ride on a maxi to Hawaii. But you'd probably have a better experience sailing some local point-to-point with your best friends on some POS-27.

Rob,

Well, you already know what I think about this. Too close to all this cancer shit right now to add to the humor, sorry. Lost someone in Dec. Hell, even the dogs around here are getting it.

I'm a big supporter of your project. But I know you have another boat and then there's your boy to think of. So, if it were me, I'd leave the Olson project for now and take my son on some extended cruises to some interesting places, maybe East Canadian Coast via Maine. It's got to be beautiful. Something neither of you will ever forget.

Getting laid often is a given. Play the dying - guy card. Works better than a puppy.

+100

As a medical doctor seeing patients with your kind of diagnosis I greatly admire your courage and applaud you on your attitude. When I look back over the most memorable things in my life many are not so because of the rarity of the place but rather the rarity of the company I shared it with. The heightened sense of urgency everything has in your situation will make even simple things special.

Transpac on a year with fresh+ strength winds. No better ride than 2K nm of downwind on the edge. If you can't pull that off, then setting the kite at Crissy Field in AC excessive wind speeds and bombing down the city front with your best mates is a hoot. Turn around and do it again. / Cruising - Lau Island group east of Fiji.

Keep your friends close. Stay strong.

Good luck sir. I've been dead once, my dad's been dead twice, and we're both still kicking dirt on this little planet, so beat that fucking cancer with a bat and keep sailing.

Hat's off for the positive attitude: gotta be a good thing as you fight. My sailing bucket list includes:

1. sail a moth - it's not that hard and an awesome experience (done)

2. race an International 14 in the Worlds. Great boat, magnificent people. Trust me, you won't be thinking about your illness on the bear away! (done)

3. Sail an Extreme 40 - they have spectators on board as the extra guy - I did this and it was unreal

4. Sail on an AC 72. No, I haven't done this but, wow...

5. Bareboat charter somewhere hot. More laid back but I love the feeling of freedom when cruising. Good for games too: put the kite up, cleat it and steer to it. Collapse the kite/wipe out and you must drink and give another crew member a go.

Others activities are on my bucket list but may not be the best choice if you're not feeling 100% - Cape Town- Rio, Sydney-Hobart. But I'm mainly a skiff guy anyway.

Best of luck to you mate!

Among my other accomplishments in life, I've always been kind of a slacker. Not that I wouldn't bust ass when needed, but never saw the point of doing it when it wasn't necessary. That and other personality flaws made me unsuitable for cubicle work, so I put my time in other endeavors, first the sail loft, rigging, and making boats fast, lately the vineyard and cellar. The place I always loved the best was onboard, even when it sucked it was better than the other place. For awhile, mostly, everyone was respected for what they could do-or were willing to do, possessions and poses were irrelevant. It was always a letdown to get back to the "real world"-which everyone knew wasn't. One of the gifts of this occurance is that I can live life on shore like on a boat and get away with it. Case in point, my Mull 30, boat in this thread: http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=134600 is heading down the lake, out the canal and river this fall and not coming back. Before the cancer it would have been a big fight with my wife, now it's fine. I know most of the difference is in my mind, but that's all I need.

I mentioned the fallen angel with the baseball bat, if you have trouble visualizing her, think of the girl in Polanski's "The Ninth Gate". She's got a killer front kick too.

Rob

Great Attitude. Fuck Cancer.

My list....

1. Hamilton Island RW - just looks fun.

2. Southern Ocean and around the Horn - gotta go before I go but it has to be in something fast.

3. DH Round NI. Never had the boast to do it but that will get done.

4. Cowes Week Again - mostly nostalgia but I had so much fun there and am sure you can again.

As for boats, that new Fanton looks too good to be true but you'd have to give it a go. And an Open 60 to do all the Ocean stuff above, a TP52 or similar for the race week.

Best of luck completing yours mate.

1. Take kids/wife on a day trip on a Caribbean or antipodean catamaran, not one of the huge ones but something oddball which will entail boom-netting, tunnel diving, bbq, beers, rum, etc. - I did one off Magnetic Island in Queensland and it still stands out as one of my best ever days on the water.

2. Sail anything at over 30 knots, preferably something with foils but I'm not fussy

3. Spend a weekend/week on a beautiful classic yacht, preferably somewhere warm.

Best of luck kicking the fuck out of that cancer.

There ya go. Then just have them roll you off the stern when you're done.

Might as well charter the Wally B. You can afford more hookers and blow that way, and you won't leave any messy legal battles behind as to who will inherit the boat:

http://www.wally.com/wally-b-charter/

I mentioned the fallen angel with the baseball bat, if you have trouble visualizing her, think of the girl in Polanski's "The Ninth Gate". She's got a killer front kick too.

Rob

me lickey! :)

did that last summer,.... well part of it. I was on the offshore leg from Port Hardy to Victoria. I would recommend this for anyone's bucket list. Be sure not to go sight seeing at Bull Harbor or your bucket list may be brought up short quickly. There's a pack of hungry wolves on that island looking for dinner after killing all the deer.

+1

That kite run with snow-covered Vancouver Island mountains on the left and Japan on the right is one my most memorable moments in sailing.

Les Voiles de St. Tropez regatta on a classic - excellent place, great food and drink, incredible boat porn (classics, wallys, maxis, and more!) - I'm sure many of the other classics regattas are cool (Antigua for example) but the Med is very, very cool and the sailing is (mostly) relaxed and fun.

Scuba the Maldives - esp cleaning stations and where the rays and whale sharks come in. A-Mazing!

White shark cage diving - Guadeloupe.

Pacific NW/BC Canada archipelago - from San Juans to Desolation Sound. Some of the most beautiful cruising grounds you'll ever hope to see (and lots of Anarchists will help you, including me)

WWing

Scotland distilleries Sail tour!

Second that! It's called the Classic Malts Cruise (or used to be), or you can just sail round the lot yourself enjoying scenery, whiskey and great company.

I've not had any serious health issues to deal with like you, but I have had a bucket list for a while. Last year I sank a boat on it's first outing with us, and mentioned on Facebook that I could now cross 'sink a racing boat' off my bucket list. One wag in my friends list suggested I add a bucket to my bucket list, in case it ever happens again...my crew described his hurried disembarcation from said sinking boat as being like Jack Sparrow stepping from the top of the mast onto shore in Pirates of the Caribbean, we only just made it!

Hope this wee tale at least brings a smile to your face!

Some pictures to tempt you to add these to your own bucket list ----

• Les Voiles: crossing tacks with Lulworth (ok, one tack)

Lulworth.jpg

• Maldives: my diving pics are only ok (cheap camera) but this was where we stayed

Maldives 067

• White shark cage diving: friend took this shot himself (not a cheapo camera) - big fella came right up to their cage several times

Big ol' shark

• PNW - too many pictures but hope these are enticing!

Two Barnetts

(big and little sisters at anchor, Tenedos Bay)

Anchorage At Mink   Close!018

(at anchor, Mink Island - in about 50' of water, tied astern)

WWing

My Dad always raves about the time he did a sailing trip in Tierra Del Fuego and Cape Horn, he and some mates flew into Southern Chile and cruised a boat down the Magellan straits, popped out and looked at Cape Horn and cruised back.

It was a tour with a skipper, trying to find the operator - it might be this guy http://www.victory-cruises.com/ksar.html it was certainly this kind of operation.

Good luck!

Rob, sorry to hear about this. Fight with every bit you have.

Here's my bucket list.

1. Transpac

2. Sydney Hobart

3. Anywhere with my best friends in the world.

To quote my buddies kid who did the battle at the ripe old age of 3...FUCK Cancer (dad), Cancer Fears ME (son).

As you know, we did that last summer, it was an excellent time to spend 6 weeks on the boat. That was a big one on my bucket list.

Maybe Kim would loan you Frankie. :D

Hell, I won't be using the C&C for a couple of weeks at the beginning of August...but that's pushing the pace.

Rob, you have my empathies. Something my father said last year was that is is better to remember doing something than remiss about how you always wanted to do that. I've taken it to heart and posts like your remind me of the importance of proper balance. These are on my bucket list.

Chicago Mac Race

Become a live-aboard

Sail to Tahiti

Solo or double handed ocean racing

Given the, and your timing - BVI pro am regatta out of Bitter end yacht club. And you may as well do the BVI regatta and stay there.

Then, grab a moth and fly, or an A-cat, G32 ride, etc.

Then any drag race in a 30+ foot ocean racing multihull - it will change your life.

Sail hard 'mano, the clock is ticking - cancer or not!

For Snaggy, here's another fallen angel pic:

post-35281-0-53231200-1390344654_thumb.jpg

Rob,

I've had fucked kidneys for years.Had one removed and the others shagged.Still to date I've managed

1 round the world race

2 Round Britain and Ireland races

4 fastnets

9 Transatlantics

and 150,000 miscellaneous miles.

Get out there and crack on. See you at the start of the Carribean 600....next on my wish list.

I had neck surgery and did bow with a full on neck brace

I had a knee replacement from skiing too hard - sailed the middle crew in the Etchells worlds

Then I did a transpac and now I race small physical boats.

I had cancer - surgery and radiation - and now other treatments - I plan to do this year's Newport Bermuda

We all end at the same place man, just keep going. Go sail, have a quiet glass or a loud pint but go. You gonna die? yeah, me too but it's going to be a ride till them!

This year I had a brain aneurysm, and was unconscious for about 1 month. So what was my take away from this event? Do what ever the hell makes me happy and laughs and stay close to those that I love. If sailing is a part of that, great, but if not I will be happy.

I have had stage 4 throat cancer, thyroid cancer, and a few other serious issues including an aneurism. Gues the devil doiesnt want me yet :) I sail my boat every day during the season here, do a lot of single and double handed races.

This year I want to sail in the Med on a Pogo 40 and do a few distance races.. Been in remission for 3 yrs but you are always looking over your shoulder.

Keep a sense of humor and love everyone!

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned it, but I'd like to sail with Frank Mighetto.

I've got some serious heart stuff which might not end well. You have my greatest respect.

...continue my efforts to create a hybridized Laser, and sail it from the Big Island to Kauai (in 4-5 steps), with another Laser as safety company. All the best to you my friend. A buddy of mine had a Melanoma metastasis about a dozen years ago, and is in full remission now due to a variety of aggressive therapies. I had Melanoma 26 years ago but caught it early. I hope we cross paths in boats 20 years from now. Aloha.

My daughter told me when she was about 7 or 8 years old, "Don't worry daddy, when life gives you watermelons, make lemonade!" I still think about that years later when I get a little down. I'm still makin' lemonade!

In the immortal words of Bill McNeal (Phil Hartman on NewsRadio): "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade, and then throw it in the face of the person who gave you the lemons until they give you the oranges you originally asked for?"

I suggest you throw lemonade in the face of this latest challenge.

Thank you Rob

I too am living with metastasized cancer

Most times (like now) I'm struggling to manage pain, nausea and labile emotions

Funny but I've found the same symptoms doing what I love - racing sailboats

Let's get a crew of us together, find a boat, race and .....

I'd love to share more

Comfort and peace to you tonight

Thank you Rob

I too am living with metastasized cancer

Most times (like now) I'm struggling to manage pain, nausea and labile emotions

Funny but I've found the same symptoms doing what I love - racing sailboats

Let's get a crew of us together, find a boat, race and .....

I'd love to share more

Comfort and peace to you tonight

+1.

Now that would be a boat to watch! When you guys call "starboard" you absolutely mean it.

i want to sail around Cape Horn with GlioBlastoma (brain cancer), get some press, and raise money for GBM research.

The Phoenicians had a saying: "a day spent sailing does not count against you".

Been through 'downwinders scare' and cancer. Go sailing. Savor every air and water molecule that passes your craft. Doesn't matter where.

Go sailing.

Hey Brotherman!

I wish you the best, the best. Sail fast, have fun and don't stop. I am Josh in San Diego, I got a soling and lots of friends with boats let me know if you come to town. The best to you.

Josh

Hey Rob don't Panic.

I'm on my 28 month of remission from NHL B Cell stage two.

I'm not a rock star sailor but wen is time to goo I hope is on the water.
I see you are from the empire State, so very soon, according to our Governor we be aloud to
Smoke (ganja) freely and not goo to Jail. So I guess that will be my first which. :D

Sail fast and safe!

Mario

Tend to lurk in the background but this one is close to home. My wife, a better tactician than I could even dream of becoming, passed away this time last year from stomach cancer at 44. Her motto throughout was that you have a choice- "you can curl up in a ball in the corner or you can hold your head up and fight on". She fought on.

That struck home so deeply in this house, that our eight year old son gets up every morning of his young life with a smile on his face and ready to go.

Keep your head up, keep smiling, fuck cancer and don't be beaten....EVER!

Tend to lurk in the background but this one is close to home. My wife, a better tactician than I could even dream of becoming, passed away this time last year from stomach cancer at 44. Her motto throughout was that you have a choice- "you can curl up in a ball in the corner or you can hold your head up and fight on". She fought on.

That struck home so deeply in this house, that our eight year old son gets up every morning of his young life with a smile on his face and ready to go.

Keep your head up, keep smiling, fuck cancer and don't be beaten....EVER!

tearfulle "bravo" form me.

Hi Rob, keep fighting buddy!

My bucket list:

Double Damned

Transpac

Sydney to Hobart

Heineken Regatta

Fastnet

Think I might like ocean, point to point racing?

it's not what or where you sail but with whom...........

you can beat this through sailing

I want to start out by saying I am NOT a medical doctor, and am offering no medical advice.

However, I work for a company that developed targeted treatments for metastatic RCC. The best advice (non-sailing) I can offer is to get into contact with the Kidney Cancer Association (KCA), for patient support groups. Sounds morbid, I know, but they are a GREAT source of input and support. As well as genreally nice folks.

The existing therapies can kick your ass a bit, so be ready! Best of luck, and keep sailing (and of course, having regualr sex!)

Years ago, my father was diagnosed with throat cancer, so he spent the entire summer sailing almost everyday of the summer with my mom. Luckily the cancer didn't kill him, but he did sell the boat after his surgery. It's been 20 years since he should have died, and he still talks about that summer with very fond memories (even this past weekend). Just go out an sail. Best of luck to you.

Chicago - Mac

Newport - Bermuda

Transpac

Sydney - Hobart

Cruise San Juan Islands

Sail anything with foils or a kite

Ice boat on Lake Geneva, WI

And, as so many have so eloquently said before me - FUCK CANCER

go for your dreams!

Cancer at 30 , and the crisis it can cause got me into keelboat sailing, after years of hardcore windsurfing.

My bucket list consisted of of having my own boat, and racing it, a life goal of the singlehanded transpac. I never raced my own boat as that turned into racing for other people who needed keen crew. I ate it up, doing all postions except fordeck, single handing my boat in some races.

but here comes the odd part, 10 years later, it was seeing my father get sick and die from cancer that turned me off of competitive sailing.

I couldnt sweat the bullshit, stay keen or care about whether a tack was good or hiking harder or trimming better mattered the apres sailing talk was now just bullshit kidstuff......I just lost it.

. But all the same it frustrated me that my "competitive sailing passion" was gone. I tried to no avail ...nada...

But in time and in a way i realized that actually I was free to ...have no lists , just go sail and enjoy it for what it was.

So now after a few years I am happy that i just purely windsurf now for the pure pleasure of it. No hassles.

But still go for your dreams, whatever they are , and never say die !

This year I had a brain aneurysm, and was unconscious for about 1 month. So what was my take away from this event? Do what ever the hell makes me happy and laughs and stay close to those that I love. If sailing is a part of that, great, but if not I will be happy.

Tabman, followed your saga on THT. Glad you're doing well.

Bad day yesterday, but back. Thanks very much for your thoughts, they mean more than you may imagine.

To me the key to this thread is the concept of "remissioning". I started thinking about this in the fall of '11 when a friend died, badly, of ALS. He was blindsided, went through the medical mill, and leaked away over the period of a few years. Getting the message, but not the foreshadowing, I began to restructure my life toward the possibilities rather than the probabilities, albeit somewhat leisurely.

Fast forward,and there may be less time than I thought. Well, that's ok because I've had some great opportunities, and there will be a few more cards dealt. My point in this is to encourage all of you to look at the possibility of "remissioning". There's a lot of ego in certain aspects of this sport, and although self examination may not be the quickest way around the course, it just may be the most satisfying. Pull a Montesier.

Again, don't plan,do.

Rob

Rob,

I'm impressed you've drawn some wisdom from your friends ALS experience.

Your post reached me on a day I didn't think I could get outside my own suffering; I am deeply grateful.

I feel like I'm sitting on the rail beside you, having gone through some rough weather together and looking ahead to uncertain conditions toward a near horizon. Yep, it's closer than we want to think.

I got the message in '06 when we lost our skipper to depression potentiated by sleeping pills and ending in suicide. Since then attention to crew on boats I've raced has meant more than weight placement. It meant listening to and caring for each other on a personal level of life choices. It didn't slow us on the race course - nor did it enhance our finishes. It did put our race results in perspective - I suppose not unlike Montessier.

In the book Emperor of All Maladies the author suggests we are all "cancering" all the time. In our case it has overwhelmed or confounded our immune systems.

I like your concept of "remissioning" in response. I get it and will join you with the intention of confounding the disease process.

And I will do what I can.

Let me know what you are doing so I can add my support

Mike

Wow. One hell of a thread. I have a spot on a VanIsle 360 boat if you are still looking for something to do in June 2015, Rob. It is a great race, and despite the wolves, Bull Harbour at the tip of Vancouver Island is a pretty special place. (We won't be stopping this time, unless things go pretty wrong for us)

I take a lot of inspiration from my dad, who was DOA twice, heart failure, failed aortic and mitral valve replacement, then endocarditis, He beat it, got pneumonia while in renal failure, and beat that too somehow. He and Mom rented the house, moved aboard, and still live aboard a 30' three years later. They are basically happy, live in the moment (his heart still leaks), and go where they want to go these days. Friends and family are big priorities. Boats are too. With luck, he'll be driving the RV and shore support around the island with my two daughters in tow.

As someone who has cruised a fair bit with the love of my life, crossing an ocean with someone you love is pretty special.

Crossing an ocean with a team you love to sail with is pretty cool too. Blue water and tradewinds sailing change a person somehow.

Rob, thanks for posting the thoughts about remissioning. I've been thru the cancer treatments twice now, once 36 years ago. Have no facking idea why I lived, it was non-hodgekins lymphoma and very early R-COP without the R. Then again 9 years ago. Sailed as much as I could, as many different boats as I could get on. Great fun has been buying my first Sunfish 4 years ago. Time to remission again for me, and cruise more. Best of luck, Winever.

Always sorry to hear of those in medical crisis. Had my own in 2009 and clearly recall the major emotional curve ball that whole heart thing was. Hang in there. Only One knows how many are the number of our days. Here is my suggestion that helped in my own crisis. Find ways to recenter life around others whose needs equal or surpass your own. Combine it with sailing. Skip the hookers and blow and skip the sailing hot spots unless ya got a wounded warrior or handicapped person with you. Some might call it sappy advice but we are talking things that actually work...

Rob

I have been dealing with same on my liver since 2011.

The downside:

Had to sell my boat, give up an invite to the Vic Maui 2012, miss another Van Isle 360, cancel a delivery Vancouver to San Francisco,

loss of a longtime girlfriend.

The upside:

Learning there are so many people out there who will care and support you in many ways, you find your true friends.

Learn that your plans will change due to your condition and your treatment schedule.

Keep making plans and don't be beaten down when you have to change them.

Be positive and make it a habit, and love life as much as you can.

I wish you the best of luck with your situation. Cheers.