Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Editor

what is it?

A Class cat outside Team NZ Base auckland viaduct, wirh Pete Melvins trimaran Mama Tried in the background

A Class cat outside Team NZ Base auckland viaduct, wirh Pete Melvins trimaran Mama Tried in the background

A bastardised piece of kit that is a DNA boat, with Paradox cassette and pintle's and a TNZ T-Rudder fitted to likely Ashby's boat with an adjustable angle of attack mount

It's bloody Dario again. Heh! I should say its good to see what he's up to. I worked with him for a while and it has his name written all over it.

Dario Valenza Paradox.

:-)

Enough carbon and alloy in close proximity to power the IPhone and call for help when the electrolytic corrosion causes a structural failure.

What is it? - Too much Alloy and not enough carbon

Massive bracket,flimsy tiller, and too many bolts.

Wondering what will keep the foil down.

Was wondering when we would see the Paradox adjustable AoA rudders fitted to Ashby's DNA being tested for the last few weeks in NZ

Yupp, rudder and articulating endplate built in the background building ;-)

The only question is: How does he change AoA? Looks like the end of a spindle there.

Looks heavy.

What kind of boards is/was he using?

Massive bracket,flimsy tiller, and too many bolts.

Wondering what will keep the foil down.

A bolt, what else. You can see it on the picture.

I think the bit that everybody is missing is that this is a new transom fitting that allows for the adjustment of the foil angle while on the move.

I see the two big lateral bolts at the bottom acting as pivots. So the gray inset box contains a spool that spins its center bolt/screw jack, controlled by the string leaving the top to stb? -slick.

The uni strut tiller and 1800's train bridge cassette are curious choices. I guess if cnc'd, the parts are easier to reproduce than in carbon.

Illegal as the rudder blade is now too far from the transom and the wing tips look as though they could be outside 2.3 also.

4 th mode ....

The offset Gudgeons allow the rudder lead to be adjusted independently of the rudder angle. Which is quite important when playing with winglets that are being set up to provide lift rather than just trim stability. I believe it is also the reason for Dario's choice of the Macano style construction of these cases as it is bloody hard to unbolt and adjust carbon stocks.

Not to derail, but why are the pivots or "Gudgens" offset to the sides?

They aren't. if you drew an axis between the upper and lower gudgeons, the midpoint of that axis 98% is in the middle of the transom. The axis is typically rotated so the leeward rudder is vertical when the windward hull is flying just out of the water. But I'm far from an expert, just know keeping the foils vertical while flying a hull is common in other performance catamarans.

The offset Gudgeons allow the rudder lead to be adjusted independently of the rudder angle. Which is quite important when playing with winglets that are being set up to provide lift rather than just trim stability. I believe it is also the reason for Dario's choice of the Macano style construction of these cases as it is bloody hard to unbolt and adjust carbon stocks.

Ah. That makes more sense.

I'm not sure what to call these "gudgeons" but they appear to be on the side of the rudder. I would think that when the rudder turns one way the leading edge moves forward, turn the other way it moves aft. What would the bennifit of this be?

post-411-0-86585600-1391461801_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure what to call these "gudgeons" but they appear to be on the side of the rudder. I would think that when the rudder turns one way the leading edge moves forward, turn the other way it moves aft. What would the bennifit of this be?

More immersion for leeward foil when bearing away… I'm guessing.

I reckon the design and structure are bloody beautiful!

And the foils look like the tail of a performing seal, it's still a magic peice of design and fabrication.

Yeh, alright...I once was a boilermaker.......

Cheers,

Jim B)

something expensive - and maybe that inverted Y structure on the bottom might be kinda dragy

who did the water tunnel work?

Maybe a seal being pultruded upwards through Seal-O-Flat?

the torsional loads will be carried by the foil - the metal structure is there to react the foil torsional loads to the hull

Has anybody won? It's the pin that holds the foiling rudder down in the multi adjustable rudder head.

balanced about the aerodynamic centre

anyone got a close-up of the T-joint? looks fancy

I think the bit that everybody is missing is that this is a new transom fitting that allows for the adjustment of the foil angle while on the move.

Yes that is the idea. Like a t foil adjuster on an i14 I guess

It's a typical Dario solution to a problem - beautiful, detailed and way, way more complex than it needs to be!

Illegal as the rudder blade is now too far from the transom and the wing tips look as though they could be outside 2.3 also.

I think the blade will be closer when fully inserted than it appears in the photo. I'm surprised that the bracket on the transom is so massive in the Ed's photo. Is it stainless or titanium?

too small for hanging the bikinis

You are clearly hanging out at the wrong beach.

skimpy%20bikini%20%20001_500.jpg

Its blocking the view of a nice Tri, Pete Melvins I suspect. Seriously, its an angle of the dangle adjuster on the move? Has anyone won? PS, those Nipple and clittle covers are also view blockers!

too small for hanging the bikinis

You are clearly hanging out at the wrong beach.

skimpy%20bikini%20%20001_500.jpg

Was there some reason they bothered to put those on?

This arrangement allows the rudder blade to be balanced. Hanging a blade vertically from the transom puts the 100% of vertical blade behind the turning point. Thus the feel is heavier on the tiller. Like a barn door on a windy day. Placing a proportion, 15% say, in front of the turning point allows part of the rudder to help decrease the heavy feel to steering. This is done with underslung rudders by making the shaft exit the rudder head some way back from the leading edge. The leading edge moves to the opposite side to the trailing edge during a turn and so balances the hydrodynamic forces on the rudder. Boats with transom hung rudders sometimes pitch the lower tip of the rudder forward which has the same effect of placing a proportion of the rudder in front of the vertical pivot axis. see 1729CE90345CECAF802574CD0026983A_topl_1.

From the frozen noth hemisphere,

thanks for the web, here it is more info!

ETNZ: A-Class Arms Race

0:52min

Nice composite work done from the R&D team ;-)

post-41346-0-26171800-1391621049_thumb.jpg

From the frozen noth hemisphere,

thanks for the web, here it is more info!

ETNZ: A-Class Arms Race

0:52min

Nice composite work done from the R&D team ;-)

Sweet vid. Clean... We need more footage!

Chris Nicholson: "its like an in-house arms race." "Looks like we got a few science experiments going on. And, yep. I'm I'm just happy to go fairly stock standard and try and do the big things right."

These guys are having FUN. Go TNZ, love the spirit.

Flutter, Dick and dr. Thanks for that, nice insight.

+1 on the FUN.

On the rudders how actively do you play that angel of attack adjustment?