Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

edouard

Route du Rhum 2014

http://www.routedurhum.com/

I know, it's still 9 months ahead (start November 2nd), but with Armel le Cléach's recent successful record attempt, Lionel Lemonchois' unfortunate capsizing in a record attempt presented as a preparation run, Thomas Coville's modified Geronimo and Yann Guichard's intention of racing Spindrift 2 (ex BP V)

Things are really starting to move.

271 days from now, the mighty Dragon will be heading for the starting line of the Route du Rhum......

I am no Guichard or Coville, but I am looking forward to sharing the experience!

Fan-bloody-tastic.

Good on you RM and go the Dragon.

Nice RM! Looking forward to some of your great commentary bringing this edition to life.

I can't help but feel that, barring an absolutely perfect weather window, we are going to find out just how far this bigger is better approach to solo multis can be pushed. I just hope no one gets hurt.

Good luck and good on you, RM. I will hopefully be there to wish you luck.

And yes, the RdR is shaping up to be awesome. The IMOCA's, something like 51 class 40's, the big tri's... All wih that incredible backdrop of Saint Malo. Trying to go with Clean and cover the whole thing with a lot of in-depth articles and dozens of video interviews and boat tours like during the last Vendee.

Hoping the IMOCA class represents... there are a lot of boats out there on the sidelines.

Nice catamarans in all classes are being refitted for this race:

Prince de bretagne maxi

Geronimo/Sodebo Maxi
Thomas Covile

Groupama3/Banque Populaire VI
Skippered by Armel le Cleach and Francois Gabart.
Spindrift 2 Ex Banque Populair V
Skippered by Yann Guichard and Donna Bertarelli. http://www.spindrift-racing.com/maxi-spindrift-2/2013-season/
Class Multi 50
Class Imoca
Class open 40
It will be awesome.
Edition 2010:

Nice catamarans in all classes are being refitted for this race:

Prince de bretagne maxi

Geronimo/Sodebo Maxi

Thomas Covile

Groupama3/Banque Populaire VI

Skippered by Armel le Cleach and Francois Gabart.
Spindrift 2 Ex Banque Populair V
Skippered by Yann Guichard and Donna Bertarelli. http://www.spindrift-racing.com/maxi-spindrift-2/2013-season/
Class Multi 50
Class Imoca
Class open 40
It will be awesome.
Edition 2010:

Mr. Joyon on IDEC is supposed to go as well along with the Edmond de Rothschild and possibly the Oman Sail MOD 70's with Sidney Gavignet.

Sidney Gavignet confirmed his entry on the MOD 70. IDEC, the new Sodebo, BP (ex Groupama), Spindrift (ex BP) plus the Edmond de Rothschild and Oman Sail MOD 70's. The Ultimate class will be something to watch for sure.

http://www.courseaularge.com/articles/27854/Sidney-Gavignet-sera-au-depart-de-la-Route-du-Rhum.html

Does anyone know what happened to Sidney's boat from last time? Sister ship of IDEC and the current Sodebo @ ~ 105 feet. It broke up but was brought back to shore. Haven't heard anything of it since. Oman Air Majan.

Sidney Gavignet confirmed his entry on the MOD 70. IDEC, the new Sodebo, BP (ex Groupama), Spindrift (ex BP) plus the Edmond de Rothschild and Oman Sail MOD 70's. The Ultimate class will be something to watch for sure.

http://www.courseaularge.com/articles/27854/Sidney-Gavignet-sera-au-depart-de-la-Route-du-Rhum.html

Does anyone know what happened to Sidney's boat from last time? Sister ship of IDEC and the current Sodebo @ ~ 105 feet. It broke up but was brought back to shore. Haven't heard anything of it since. Oman Air Majan.

Was sold - as is - to Marc Thiercelin who would possibly have some project with it and has been looking for a lot of money.

Oman Air Majan has been repaired at Marsaudon composites but from what I've read Marc has at this stage not secured sufficient funding to compete in the Route du Rhum.

Was sold - as is - to Marc Thiercelin who would possibly have some project with it and has been looking for a lot of money.

Thanks very much for the info. Hope he gets the sponsorship in place to make the start line.

Thanks very much for the info. Hope he gets the sponsorship in place to make the start line.

Unfortunately, or not, the chances of that are extremely slim.

What won't help is that DCNS under him never finished a race-

Usually this was pure misfortune and nothing to do with him, but it won't help.

I wonder how he got the cash to buy the boat, can't have came cheap!

Catamarans?!

He not the sharpest knife in the drawer

I'm a multi guy but to be honest all this unrestricted BS doesn't make sense... the 70s and the stretch ORMAs a roughly close in speeds but the singlehanded G classers are off on their own. It's like racing Corvettes vs Mini Coopers. Maybe they could (gasp) have a handicap.

I'm a multi guy but to be honest all this unrestricted BS doesn't make sense... the 70s and the stretch ORMAs a roughly close in speeds but the singlehanded G classers are off on their own. It's like racing Corvettes vs Mini Coopers. Maybe they could (gasp) have a handicap.

win or break

Found the boat I'll follow in the next RdR :)

Dick Newick design, very famous skipper.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=823697620991236&set=vb.109933829034289&type=2&theater

English version starts at 1'56"

Moody,

I think that the yellow tri that Petron is lovingly restoring in that video is a Walter Greene design/build. Walter followed Dick Newicks lead very faithfully and it is easy to confuse the cousins that they jointly sometimes created.

Here is Greenes webpage and Olympus photo is the second boat. Walt gives credit for any sailing vessels on this page not designed by him. Walt and Dick had a great working and personal relationship and credit is given where due.

http://greene-marine.com/sailboats.htm

Here is an excerpt from Jim Browns page, another of that very special clan of designer/builders of that time. All the more reason to root for Loick and Olympus though, I'll be doing the same!

The French now began to stage their own transoceanic racing events. The first Route Du Rum race was run in 1978 from Saint Malo, France to the island of Guadaloup in the Caribbean. Another French superstar sailor Michael Malinofski was sailing his Kriter V (sponsored by the French Champaign producer), a 68-foot monohull. As Malanofski approached the finish line, apparently far ahead of the fleet, again the redoubtable Mike Birch was seen also approaching in a very Newick-like 38-foot cold molded trimaran designed by Walter Greene named for this race Olympus Photo. Kriter, at almost twice the length of Olympus, was holding a substantial lead but Birch surveyed his position and realized that the local conditions favored his trimaran. He also, recalled that the race sponsors had put up a generous cash prize for the winner and he resolved to give it a go. Sailing in breezy head winds he overhauled the big monohull and – after twenty three days at sea – finished first by ninety eight seconds!

Found the boat I'll follow in the next RdR :)

Dick Newick design, very famous skipper.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=823697620991236&set=vb.109933829034289&type=2&theater

English version starts at 1'56"

Moody,

I think that the yellow tri that Petron is lovingly restoring in that video is a Walter Greene design/build. Walter followed Dick Newicks lead very faithfully and it is easy to confuse the cousins that they jointly sometimes created.

Here is Greenes webpage and Olympus photo is the second boat. Walt gives credit for any sailing vessels on this page not designed by him. Walt and Dick had a great working and personal relationship and credit is given where due.

http://greene-marine.com/sailboats.htm

Here is an excerpt from Jim Browns page, another of that very special clan of designer/builders of that time. All the more reason to root for Loick and Olympus though, I'll be doing the same!

The French now began to stage their own transoceanic racing events. The first Route Du Rum race was run in 1978 from Saint Malo, France to the island of Guadaloup in the Caribbean. Another French superstar sailor Michael Malinofski was sailing his Kriter V (sponsored by the French Champaign producer), a 68-foot monohull. As Malanofski approached the finish line, apparently far ahead of the fleet, again the redoubtable Mike Birch was seen also approaching in a very Newick-like 38-foot cold molded trimaran designed by Walter Greene named for this race Olympus Photo. Kriter, at almost twice the length of Olympus, was holding a substantial lead but Birch surveyed his position and realized that the local conditions favored his trimaran. He also, recalled that the race sponsors had put up a generous cash prize for the winner and he resolved to give it a go. Sailing in breezy head winds he overhauled the big monohull and – after twenty three days at sea – finished first by ninety eight seconds! [/size]

You are fully right.

I always had thought that Olympus was the last of the racing Newicks, not the first of the Wally Greene's

Thanks for clarifying.

You aren't the first to make think that. Here is an old video of the finish of the Route where Mike and Olympus reel Malinowski in right at the finish. Moxie won the OSTAR after this race and she was definitely a Newick. There was not really a 'last of the racing Newicks'. Jack Petith won his class in a 38' Newick Native in the '82 Route sailing as 'KRITER X' and then won his class in the '84 OSTAR in the same boat sailing as 'DESTINATION ST CROIX'. Jack is now living and cruising on the boat somewhere in the South Pacific and has been doing so ever since his racing days. How many racing boats can make that claim. I'd love to see Jack come race Loic under the 'old school rules'.

http://www.ina.fr/video/CAA7801842801

If Spindrift somehow holds it together (and how likely is this really ?) it should be a pretty straight forward win but with such amazing boats and the 70's, Spindrift and new Sodebo with no single handed resumes to speak of pretty much anything could happen if the weather does not play ball or the limits (?) are pushed a bit too hard... That is what makes that class so interesting.

The thing about Spindrift is whatever happens is guaranteed to be spectacular- she wins it'll be by a country mile.

If she breaks it's unlikely to be anything small- imagine the damage a dismasting could do on a boat like that!

The thing about Spindrift is whatever happens is guaranteed to be spectacular- she wins it'll be by a country mile.

If she breaks it's unlikely to be anything small- imagine the damage a dismasting could do on a boat like that!

Even getting second place would be spectacular, at least for someone else. Think Club Med. Like Club Med, it is an all around spectacle.

Thomas Coville's new Sodebo Ultim was pulled out of the hangar at Multiplast today. I like the new colour scheme.

post-106106-0-94767300-1399304732_thumb.jpg

post-106106-0-68905400-1399304741_thumb.jpg

How lee fook that thing looks fast.

Nice catamaran as someone here would say

Here are two more photo's of Thomas Coville's new Sodebo Ultim.

post-106106-0-95053800-1399338575_thumb.jpg

post-106106-0-89371100-1399338670_thumb.jpg

Here are two more photo's of Thomas Coville's new Sodebo Ultim.

Wow. Looks cool...and fast.

IS Sodebo Ultime only going to be used for the Route Du Rhum or does he have other races in mind? Like another crack at Joyon's around the world before Gabart gets there?

Here's a video just posted on Thomas Coville and the Sodebo Ultim'

IS Sodebo Ultime only going to be used for the Route Du Rhum or does he have other races in mind? Like another crack at Joyon's around the world before Gabart gets there?

As Sodebo put their Iren's trimaran up for sale, I assume that whatever Thomas Coville has in mind, he'll be doing it on Sodebo Ultim.

Does anyone know what he's doing for a mast? Same rig or something new? This Sodebo could be the tool he needs to make that weather window Joyon had all those years ago. Thanks for that video.

Does anyone know what he's doing for a mast? Same rig or something new? This Sodebo could be the tool he needs to make that weather window Joyon had all those years ago. Thanks for that video.

It looks like your question will be answered in a week or so, as there is still work to perform before they can launch.

http://www.sodebo.fr/voile

Old news but not mentioned in this thread:

Sir Robin Knox Johnston will participate as oldest salor in the 2014 edition of the route du Rhum.

He is 75 years old and will be sailing the open 60 Grey Power.

post-17796-0-78006800-1399451031_thumb.jpg

post-17796-0-56600600-1399451052_thumb.jpg

post-17796-0-62653500-1399451073_thumb.jpg

post-17796-0-12615600-1399451094_thumb.jpg

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/sailing/10743837/Clipper-Race-2013-14-Founder-Sir-Robin-Knox-Johnston-75-will-set-sail-solo-again-across-the-Atlantic.html

I tried to get the full entrance list but I can't find any.

Anyone knows where it is?

http://www.routedurhum.com/fr/s03_actualites/s03p02_detail_actualite.php?actu=115

As of May 5 the list of those entered is below. Several big names missing including Sir Robin, IDEC and Spindrift but there is still time:

Ultimes
1- Banque Populaire (Le Cleac'h Armel)
2- Sodebo (Coville Thomas)
3- Prince de bretagne (Lemonchois Lionel)
Multi50
1- Vers un monde sans sida (Nigon Erik)
2- Groupe Olmix (Antoine Pierre)
3- FenetreA – Cardinal (Le Roux Erwan)
Imoca
1- Macif (Gabart François)
2- Safran (Guillemot Marc)
3- PRB (Riou Vincent)
4- Initiatives Coeur (De lamotte Tanguy)
Class40
1- Nc (Angoulvant François)
2- NC (Bestaven Yannick)
3- NC (Bouchard Thierry)
4- Teranga (Hamez Emmanuel)
5- Obportus 3 (Roussey Olivier
6- Bodacious dream (Scharl Matt)
7- NC ( Aasberg Rune)
Classe Rhum
1- Defi Cat (Jail Eric)
2- Destination Calais (Chatelin Pierre-Yves)
3- NC (Tollemer Pierrick)

I wonder if RKJ will enter, not from his own issues, but that the boat will need to measure as an IMOCA...that will be a lot bigger issue.

Here is a video of Yann Guichard solo at the helm of Spindrift 2. This video was shot on Apr 15, 2014.

The video, filmed from a helicopter, shows Spindrift 2 on several different tacks, it shows Yann at the bow several times, and shows Yann working a winch. However, it does not show any tacking manoeuvres.

I wonder if RKJ will enter, not from his own issues, but that the boat will need to measure as an IMOCA...that will be a lot bigger issue.

Was wondering the same. Would be awesome if he got the go, but there's lots that boat would need doing I'd guess

Here is a video of Yann Guichard solo at the helm of Spindrift 2. This video was shot on Apr 15, 2014.

The video, filmed from a helicopter, shows Spindrift 2 on several different tacks, it shows Yann at the bow several times, and shows Yann working a winch. However, it does not show any tacking manoeuvres.

Having seen the boat in person at Lorient that's a lot of machine for one guy to handle by himself... putain!

Was wondering the same. Would be awesome if he got the go, but there's lots that boat would need doing I'd guess

Wouldn't it be grandfathered? I reckon he'd just need to bring it back to where it was the last time he raced it.

As Sodebo put their Iren's trimaran up for sale, I assume that whatever Thomas Coville has in mind, he'll be doing it on Sodebo Ultim.

Coville has to be thinking 'good riddance', those things were seriously prone to nose dives. ex-Geronimo is going to be so much more comfortable for him after fighting the old Sodebo.

Coville has to be thinking 'good riddance', those things were seriously prone to nose dives. ex-Geronimo is going to be so much more comfortable for him after fighting the old Sodebo.

The shorter, simpler, sister-ship, seems to do fine, with the solo round the world record, and a few others..... ;)

The shorter, simpler, sister-ship, seems to do fine, with the solo round the world record, and a few others..... ;)

Got to agree. IDEC does just fine time after time. The new Sodebo should be significantly more powerful which may help Mr. Coville close the gap :huh: . Very curious to see how that works out.

does it need to measure? could he not enter in Classe Rhum?

http://www.routedurhum.com/fr/s03_actualites/s03p02_detail_actualite.php?actu=115

As of May 5 the list of those entered is below. Several big names missing including Sir Robin, IDEC and Spindrift but there is still time:

Ultimes
1- Banque Populaire (Le Cleac'h Armel)
2- Sodebo (Coville Thomas)
3- Prince de bretagne (Lemonchois Lionel)
Multi50
1- Vers un monde sans sida (Nigon Erik)
2- Groupe Olmix (Antoine Pierre)
3- FenetreA – Cardinal (Le Roux Erwan)
Imoca
1- Macif (Gabart François)
2- Safran (Guillemot Marc)
3- PRB (Riou Vincent)
4- Initiatives Coeur (De lamotte Tanguy)
Class40
1- Nc (Angoulvant François)
2- NC (Bestaven Yannick)
3- NC (Bouchard Thierry)
4- Teranga (Hamez Emmanuel)
5- Obportus 3 (Roussey Olivier
6- Bodacious dream (Scharl Matt)
7- NC ( Aasberg Rune)
Classe Rhum
1- Defi Cat (Jail Eric)
2- Destination Calais (Chatelin Pierre-Yves)
3- NC (Tollemer Pierrick)

You can add Sidney Gavignet on MOD70 OMAN SAIL and Seb Josse on (modified) MOD70 GITANA to this list.

I was also under the impression that Louis Burton will be there with his IMOCA, Bureau Valley. And his wife (and mother of two small children) will be racing in the Classe Rhum on a 60ft something or other.

anyone have any info on PdB's repairs and re-fit? Haven't seen anything on the team website.

anyone have any info on PdB's repairs and re-fit? Haven't seen anything on the team website.

The yacht reached her Lorient base 3 weeks ago today, the (limited) repairs to the platform are in full swing, a new mast and new sails are being manufactured.

They expect to be sailing by the end of June after a thorough refitting.

Seb Josse's MOD70 Edmond de Rothschild is back in the water with some pretty big changes. T foil rudders for stability...designed by ETNZs team in NZ, new cockpit, weight reductions, new sails... the boat is no longer listed as a MOD 70 team on the MultiOneDesign site.

Should be very interesting. Will they try to foil it.

No word on the changes for Oman Sail.

http://www.thedailysail.com/offshore/14/66613/0/edmond-de-rothschild-mod70-gets-t-foils

Today, Olivier de Kersauson visited Thomas Coville, and his new Sodebo Ultim.

Sodebo Ultim is Olivier de Kersauson's former boat, Geronimo.

post-106106-0-17234900-1400003481_thumb.jpg

Sodebo posted a nice animation of their changes to Geronimo, converting it into the new Sodebo Ultim'.

The post said launch date for the new tri is Monday morning.

Patrick Morvan, a major force in oceanic races in the 1980's & 1990's, could not resisted the urge to race for fun, and will be sailing a 40-foot trimaran against Loïck Peyron.

Movan was the skipper of Jet Services, the catamaran that set many records several decades ago.

post-106106-0-21471400-1400415570_thumb.jpeg

Sodebo Ultim' hit the water this morning.

The following link is to the Coville-Sodebo Twitter site, where they show a collection of pictures of the launch.

https://twitter.com/Sodebo_Voile

post-106106-0-88480000-1400511541_thumb.jpeg

post-106106-0-78191100-1400511549_thumb.jpeg

I am already changing my earlier fanship for Peyron.

I am now settled on Patrick.

Is there a better way for a lifetime sailor to celebrate his 70th birthday than sailing the Route du Rhum once more ?

Sodebo posted a video of Sodebo Ultim' being launched, and motoring away from the Multiplast yard.

This is a big, big boat

She looks awesome, and perhaps simpler than the previous ride... But we haven't seen the rig yet..

They must have really like Geronimo's beams, they paid a they. Everything else appears to have gone in the bin.

The beams and most of the floats.

The animation makes it look like a cat with a pod :)

So they changed the pod to optimise for solo sailing and the bows of the floats.

On the RdR Facebook page they have uploaded this image with the registered bateaux so far but I am not seeing the MODs in there even though a few have announced they are doing it, even on the RdR fb page.

What's the deal with that?

post-3736-0-87053400-1400582010_thumb.png

The mast was raised today. They said seven tons was removed during the conversion process.

First sail is next week.

post-106106-0-48278900-1400589371_thumb.jpg

Yet one of comments on the video when they put the boat in the water is:

"It's done. She floats."

As if that was of concern XD

Seven tonnes? Seriously?

According to today's post about Sodebo Ultim on the Daily Sail, that's the amount of weight they removed.

http://www.thedailysail.com/offshore/14/66639/0/sodebo-ultim-is-launched

According to Geronimo specs displacement was around 17 tons. Seems to much 7 tons removed. One of those figures seems be wrong.

Here it says 23 tons, Now, is it hull(s) weight ? fully rigged ? ready to go ? with crew and their luggage ?

I don't know.

Seven tonnes? Seriously?

According to today's post about Sodebo Ultim on the Daily Sail, that's the amount of weight they removed.

According to Geronimo specs displacement was around 17 tons. Seems to much 7 tons removed. One of those figures seems be wrong.

Here it says 23 tons, Now, is it hull(s) weight ? fully rigged ? ready to go ? with crew and their luggage ?

I don't know.

Somewhere, a few months ago, I read that the Géronimo when it was purchased, had two complete galleys, etc. Sodebo planned to remove all that stuff.

I don't remember where I read this; if I find it, I'll post the link.

The mast was raised today. They said seven tons was removed during the conversion process.

First sail is next week.

maybe this is the weight of all the stuff they removed, but they forgot to say how much was added.

First sail is next week.

maybe this is the weight of all the stuff they removed, but they forgot to say how much was added.

I would say alot less was added than removed- alot of the stuff replaced would just be swapping new for old

First sail is next week.

From the post on The Daily Sail:

"The most radical change to the boat is her new 31m (102ft) long central hull which is shorter than the previous one. The floats were fitted with new 'Dreadnought' style bows there are now rudders and foils in the floats as well. The beams had to be reinforced to support the extra load coming from the new foils in the floats."

"The original boom was tailors to suit the new 115ft mast built by Lorima and the sails designed and built by North Sails. As with Geronimo, Coville has chosen to keep the cockpit very contained with a tiny living space of just three square meters."

"Saving weight was another focus of the transformation and the result is impressive - Coville announced this morning that seven tonnes have been removed from the platform in this process."

The weight reduction figure comes from Thomas Coville himself.

Shorter main hull, remove two galley's which were possibly real galley's, and not water heaters for free-dried food. Remove lots of bunks, and stuff necessary for a crew of 10, etc, and you can loose a lot of weight.

I still can't find the article I read on what they planned on removing. At this point, I doubt I will.

http://www.voilesetvoiliers.com/popup/route-du-rhum-2014-multis70-ultime-chez-gitana-cest-lheure-du-t/

Gitana multi 70 out of the shed with T-foil rudders. :)

Not to make her fly (Seb Josse said not yet) but to increase pitch stability.

Cool stuff!!

T rudders don't make sense if you don't intend to fly. They add drag. Reading between the lines, one can imagine that the final intention is really to fly. We'll see!

http://www.voilesetvoiliers.com/popup/route-du-rhum-2014-multis70-ultime-chez-gitana-cest-lheure-du-t/

Cool stuff!!

T rudders don't make sense if you don't intend to fly. They add drag. Reading between the lines, one can imagine that the final intention is really to fly. We'll see!

I definitely agree that the final intention is to fly.

However, T-rudders make sense even when you don't fly. My understanding being that they create downforce when you start stuffing the bows (negative AoA on the foil) helping you to keep the bow up.

That being especially true when you sail downwind in breeze. I believe that's why they had rudder winglets on the A cats even when they had C foils.

We'll see!

Cool stuff!!

They help dampen pitching, which those boats love to do. But I agree, they are definately considering or have considered flying, based on who designed those rudders.

New video from Sodebo Ultim' in their facebook page.

Doesn't fly, but what a boat !

Awesome. Guess it's going to be tough to control that beast single-handed in high seas.

Correction, Yann Elies is the new skipper of the PAPREC MOD 70, no longer Virbac, no longer JP Dick. The boat has been sold to Paprec entirely and rebranded.

pitch dampening is very beneficial to keeping power in the sails as well.

Just looked at the entry list for the ultime class.

Dear holy shit it will be nuts