• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

edouard

Route du Rhum 2014

The line is about 2 miles long, with a warship and the Brittany Ferries Pont Aven as "committee boats" with other ships or whatever dividing the sections.

Every licensed passenger carrying vessel that can do 20 knots, from between the Belgian and Spanish borders is chartered by sponsors etc. Quite a spectacle!

Regarding the Route du Rhum FP article.

Tanguy De Lamotte's ‘Initiatives-Coeur’ is not Michel Desjoyeaux's 2008/2009 Foncia (Jeremie Beyou's 2012/13 Maitre Coq & Joerg Richers' potential Mare). The former is Vincent Riou's 2008/9 PRB (Arnaud Boissière's 2012/13 Akena Veranda) and the later is now Cheminée Poujoulat to be sailed in the next BWR by Bernard Stamm and Jean Le Cam.

PRB/Akena was the sister ship of Jeremie Beyou's Delta Dore (now Louis Burton's Bureau Vallée)

PRB/Akena did indeed go through substantial modifications (the whole bow is new ) to become ‘Initiatives-Coeur’, but Joerg Richers has nothing to do with it.

Six am start for us to lock out of the Rance, anchor for lunch SW of the start zone, then head out about half a mile west of the line and parallel the fleet as they come to us. Looks like the front and rain may get through between 1000 & 1300 so the start may be almost a beat in a fading breeze inshore. Perhaps an extra 7 or 8 knots further offshore, which may not be so good for spectators.

Soooo, I dusted off the instructions I got from other members last time around, dusted off some freeware to download videos from Dailymotion and added subtitles again.

I am rusty at it and it takes me for ages to do it right (or what I think is "right"...)

As a teaser, here is a little chit-chat between Bilou and Francis Joyon.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2939kq_bilou-interviews-francis-joyon_sport

You may have to click on the "cc subtitles" icon on the top right and click on EN afterards to see the subtitles.

During the race, I will try to keep up but no guarantees, there is something called "work" in the way... I will translate what I very subjectively consider interesting; if there is a video in Dailymotion that you really want me to subtitle, let me know. It has to be in Dailymotion, I do not know how to download a video from Youtube... I am that computer retarded... At the same time, Dailymotion is a French website I believe and a lot of French entities upload in both youtube and dailymotion. So that should not be too much of a restriction.

Thanks Laurent.

The class 40 is interesting to follow, old blood against new.

For the first days, strong winds, count on Kleinjans to do well.Gen 2 boat, well respected sailor with a lot of racing miles under his belt.

He is the outsider for me.

Great to see you in here Laurent!

Bummed I cannot be in St M but woke up early to follow. Anyone know whether the live stream is actually going to make it to the web or not?

Great to see you in here Laurent!

Bummed I cannot be in St M but woke up early to follow. Anyone know whether the live stream is actually going to make it to the web or not?

Looks like the TV direct will be on line on the RdR website, see their first page top computer image with;: " Départ en Direct à partir de 12h50 " This is in 41 mns from now. Actual start 1 hour 10 mn later

Hiya Clean. Those two links above work fine. Good coverage and articles if you understand french.

Fuck. The French are great at sailing on TV. What a bunch of wankers the rest of us are.

i get 'video does not exist.'

what about you guys?

I also get video doesn't exist on both the RdR feed and the FR3 feed (running in Safari/OSX)... Interestingly, the RdR feed loads on the iPad; i only get static image though...

Fuck. The French are great at sailing on TV. What a bunch of wankers the rest of us are.

Esp. the VOR

http://www.stream2watch.me/live-tv/france-3-live-stream

on now guys. I'm getting nothing from the RdR site.

It's asking me to install M Player X or some such.....seems a bit shonky to me as it a pop-up appears asking me to also visit a dodgy tech site too.

I'm getting the same as Clean on the France3 link which I think is also the same link that the RdR site is using.

I recall the player being really good in the last edition as we sat in the office on a big iMac watching one of our tri's start with Sam Davies commentating.

Even a VPN doesn't seem to help.

http://www.stream2watch.me/live-tv/france-3-live-stream

on now guys. I'm getting nothing from the RdR site.

It's asking me to install M Player X or some such.....seems a bit shonky to me as it a pop-up appears asking me to also visit a dodgy tech site too.

I'm getting the same as Clean on the France3 link which I think is also the same link that the RdR site is using.

I recall the player being really good in the last edition as we sat in the office on a big iMac watching one of our tri's start with Sam Davies commentating.

Even a VPN doesn't seem to help.

RDR is the same feed as F3

On the stream2watch site. select stream1 and it should load directly without having to load any plugins. It's standard flash. It's a smaller screen but the quality is better than the France3 feed on full screen.

On the stream2watch site. select stream1 and it should load directly without having to load any plugins. It's standard flash. It's a smaller screen but the quality is better than the France3 feed on full screen.

Nope- not getting anything. Oh well......

+1

Great pictures - Gavignet sending it on one hull

Nice dual between Riou and Gabart

fantastic coverage

got to love Sidney. just sitting back...

Macif seems to be pulling away a bit from PBR. Nice to see Sidney staying somewhat with Sodebo.

Clean, I was able to get the France3 feed to work on the iPad!

Cheers mate, good tip. I took a screenshot for the front page but now am watching on iPad. I asked Sabina from the press office to find out if/when there will be a full replay link (and how much we'd love subtitles, though I ain't holding my breath for that one). She'll email me soon hopefully.

Clean, I was able to get the France3 feed to work on the iPad!

Cheers mate, good tip. I took a screenshot for the front page but now am watching on iPad. I asked Sabina from the press office to find out if/when there will be a full replay link (and how much we'd love subtitles, though I ain't holding my breath for that one). She'll email me soon hopefully.

This is working fine for me - no installs needed - on Chrome

http://www.francetvsport.fr/replay/depart-de-la-route-du-rhum-250553#xtatc=INT-147

The first Ultim Class are arriving close to Cap Fréhel,the only mark on the start side.

Sodebo is getting there first, followed by Oman Air with Sidney Gavignet, and Banque Pop with Loic Peyron.

In the IMOCA class, Macif, with Gabart is leading in front of PRB with Riou...

Love the commitment of PRB, after 25 yrs its still the same sponsor, or so it feels like it to me.

And the boat looks very fine. Riou is a little tough guy.

Edit, did quick google search, 23 yrs of sail sponsoring it seems to me.

Holy smokes, that was awesome to watch on French TV in the middle of the USA at 7AM on a Sunday morning. Let's see if the US F1 race can do better later today. Sidney Gavignet on Oman Air damn near flipped that monster. So cool to watch it go with the rig canted to windward. And how about Vincent Riou on PRB letting it all hang out to stay with the golden boy on Macif, dragging his outriggers in the water. Those guys have nerves of steel heading into that squall with full mains up when most everyone else had at least one reef, and sometimes 2 or 3. And the coverage was awesome, with maybe 20 different cameras on the water, land, and air. Just wish I understood French, but it wasn't essential. So nice to have pleasant sounding commentators, not to mention good-looking ones, who don't interupt each other all the time. And then all the local color thrown in from the history of and present day Brittany.

Holy smokes, that was awesome to watch on French TV in the middle of the USA at 7AM on a Sunday morning. Let's see if the US F1 race can do better later today. Sidney Gavignet on Oman Air damn near flipped that monster. So cool to watch it go with the rig canted to windward. And how about Vincent Riou on PRB letting it all hang out to stay with the golden boy on Macif, dragging his outriggers in the water. Those guys have nerves of steel heading into that squall with full mains up when most everyone else had at least one reef, and sometimes 2 or 3. And the coverage was awesome, with maybe 20 different cameras on the water, land, and air. Just wish I understood French, but it wasn't essential. So nice to have pleasant sounding commentators, not to mention good-looking ones, who don't interupt each other all the time. And then all the local color thrown in from the history of and present day Brittany.

Totally agree. The best sailing coverage I have ever seen.

FR3 put on a good show with the on-the-water coverage and Frank Cammas, Servane Escoffier and the editor of Bateaux in the commentary box. Mind you they only do this every 4 years.

Good crowd at Cap Frehel, too, despite the black clouds. Some people interviewed had come from as far as Perpignan and Epernay (east of France).

FR3 put on a good show with the on-the-water coverage and Frank Cammas, Servane Escoffier and the editor of Bateaux in the commentary box. Mind you they only do this every 4 years.

Good crowd at Cap Frehel, too, despite the black clouds. Some people interviewed had come from as far as Perpignan and Epernay (east of France).

Reminds me of another major event that also runs every four years that can't get their act together when it comes to TV coverage... Many lessons to learn here!

+1 on the great coverage - lessons to be learned for other events methinks.... although my schoolboy French has been tested to the limit this afternoon.

The RdR website has obviously been a bit overwhelmed but has just sprung back into life - although I just checked the tracker which shows Francois Gabart currently doing 33.8 knots at 126deg! Vincent Riou just behind him doing a more stately 11knots. I cant wait to see how the PRB/Macif battle works out over the next few days

All trimarans have to tack (twice) to pass the mark at Cap Frehel; so forget my comments on my previous post, all up in the air at this point.

But Prince de Bretagne with Lionel Lemonchois seems in the lead, from the tracker...

Impressive to see the difference in angles upwinds; all monohulls should be able to get to the mark without tacking.

So Mr Guichard on his 40 m tri will have to do 2 tacks in less than 30 minutes?.... Ouch...

So nice to have pleasant sounding commentators, not to mention good-looking ones, who don't interupt each other all the time. And then all the local color thrown in from the history of and present day Brittany.

That good looking lady, Servane, is also a talented solo racer (http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Servane_Escoffier) and gf of Louis Burton (bureau vallee)

On another note, anyone else wondering why PRB was heeling so much? Is it really efficient in terms of aerodynamics to keep the full main up and end up on the side? what about dragging the outrigger in the water? and can the foils still work well at such angles?

>>So nice to have pleasant sounding commentators, not to mention good-looking ones, who don't interupt each other all the time. And then all the local color thrown in from the history of and present day Brittany.

That good looking lady, Servane, is also a talented solo racer (http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Servane_Escoffier) and gf of Louis Burton (bureau vallee)

On another note, anyone else wondering why PRB was heeling so much? Is it really efficient in terms of aerodynamics to keep the full main up and end up on the side? what about dragging the outrigger in the water? and can the foils still work well at such angles?

It didn't seem to me that on average PRB was more heeled than any of the other IMOCAS, conditions were puffy to say the least. For the rest, they all seemed to be setup the same way to be at their max in the average conditions even if it meant having to drag cloth in the puffs. (BTW, leeward deck spreaders hitting the waves in a hard beat is rather common on these boats and is one of the reasons people such as JP Dick were never comfortable with them.)

The weather data does not work for me on the tracker, same for everybody ?

Ah, in fact they do work when selecting the "3D" view, (the view you get by clicking the globe icon)

But the arrows are way too sparse at high magnification.

Impressive to see how much the tris are sending it in such conditions: the leading Multi50 are quite a bit faster than the best Imocas in not so friendly winds...

Hope that Joyon can overcome the age of his boat... love that guy.

C.

PS: and what a pleasure to have a good ol' geovoile tracker after the nightmare of the VOR website!

Impressive to see how much the tris are sending it in such conditions: the leading Multi50 are quite a bit faster than the best Imocas in not so friendly winds...

C.

PS: and what a pleasure to have a good ol' geovoile tracker after the nightmare of the VOR website!

+ 1 on IDEC and Geovoile. Even though the weather doesn't seem to be working right now its 1000x better than the VOR offering.

C.

+ 1 on IDEC and Geovoile. Even though the weather doesn't seem to be working right now its 1000x better than the VOR offering.

you have to select the globe vision rather than 2D :)

C.

you have to select the globe vision rather than 2D :)

Thanks

Apologies for the publicly funded multi 50 of Gilles Lamiré. What a numpty. Better funded than most and dog slow. How do some skippers do this?

Because he has skills to raise money, not sailing skills.

But sometimes it works good, Stamm for instance, mostly not.

The rankings on the tracker don't appear to match positions on the water... As I write this, the front page of the website shows rankings at 20:00 but the tracker appears to display positions at 21:48...

It shows Peyron in first place in Ultime standings when he is well behind on the tracker...

Does anyone have any insight?

The rankings seem to be off for sure. Sodebo leading it seems from the tracker, in the south. Looks like Spindrift should tack soon (or will be gybe). The weather is working in the 2D now as well as the 3D.

Hope Sodebo is ok...

Lets hope its just a technical issue with the data from the boat. The tracker showed the 3.5knots at the exact same position from 22:42 onwards until at 23:48 Sodebo was listed with "no location"... but he seemed to have issues or a sail change earlier when he lost touch with BP7 and dropped from over 17 knots to about 13 knots between 19:50 and 20:50...

Thomas has crashed:

http://www.routedurhum.com/fr/s03_actualites/s03p02_detail_actualite.php?actu=448

Quick and dirty translation:

Sunday, November 2 at 23:30 Cross informed the race management of the Route du Rhum-Destination Guadeloupe that Sodebo Ultim 'collided with a cargo ship and its skipper was unharmed. The trimaran was almost out of the rail and sailed under 3 reefs and ORC, progressing at a speed of 15/18 knots in assets grains with 30 knots of wind from the southwest.
In shock, the trimaran has lost front of the starboard float to link arms. The middle housing also appears to have been damaged at the front. Sodebo Ultim 'moves towards the port of Roscoff, crosswind, under reduced sail, leaning on the port float. It now advance to a dozen nodes. By approaching the Brittany coast, the wind will ease and the sea to settle down. His crew was on standby in Brest will travel at night in Roscoff where the trimaran is due in the morning.

Thomas just cant get a break.... damaged, and not even 10 hours into the first real test for his new tri.

Meanwhile, looks like someone yelled tack for the rest of the leaders.. :)

Thomas has crashed:

http://www.routedurhum.com/fr/s03_actualites/s03p02_detail_actualite.php?actu=448

Quick and dirty translation:

Sunday, November 2 at 23:30 Cross informed the race management of the Route du Rhum-Destination Guadeloupe that Sodebo Ultim 'collided with a cargo ship and its skipper was unharmed. The trimaran was almost out of the rail and sailed under 3 reefs and ORC, progressing at a speed of 15/18 knots in assets grains with 30 knots of wind from the southwest.

In shock, the trimaran has lost front of the starboard float to link arms. The middle housing also appears to have been damaged at the front. Sodebo Ultim 'moves towards the port of Roscoff, crosswind, under reduced sail, leaning on the port float. It now advance to a dozen nodes. By approaching the Brittany coast, the wind will ease and the sea to settle down. His crew was on standby in Brest will travel at night in Roscoff where the trimaran is due in the morning.

Thanks! That's really sad news. Now IDEC is doing only 4 knots but its in a different place...

François Angoulvant has been airlifted off Class 40 Team Sabroa SBR40, which has overturned. Francois is OK.

Also problems for Maitre Jacques.

Around 2300hrs CET (2200hrs UTC) the starboard float broke of the Multi50 Maitre Jacques which was lying in fourth place in the Route du Rhum-Destination Guadeloupe. Solo skipper Loïc Féquet is safe aboard.

. He was sailing close to the coast preparing to pass the tip of Brittany. He is not in any immediate danger but Maitre Jacques cannot be manoeuvred and he is awaiting a tow to the nearest port, the tug should be in the area around 0200hrs CET.

Loïc Féquet, skipper of the Multi 50 Maitre Jacques reported: "There were 25 to 28 knots and big seas, but I was not attacking. In fact I was under double-reefed main and staysail. I did not hit anything. It broke in exactly the same place as last year *. The float is new"

Féquet has secured his boat. He is about 7 miles (13 km) from the coast and reported to be drifting northwards at two knots. The skipper is inside the boat awaiting help.

Hitting a cargo ship at 18kts must be a bigger wake up call than the harp alarm sound on my iPhone... Feeling pretty shit for the Sodebo team right now...

Absolutely gutted for the Sodebo team. We were lucky enough to have a look around the boat this week and understand the huge effort the team has made to get it in perfect condition for the race.

Also problems for Maitre Jacques.

Around 2300hrs CET (2200hrs UTC) the starboard float broke of the Multi50 Maitre Jacques which was lying in fourth place in the Route du Rhum-Destination Guadeloupe. Solo skipper Loïc Féquet is safe aboard.

. He was sailing close to the coast preparing to pass the tip of Brittany. He is not in any immediate danger but Maitre Jacques cannot be manoeuvred and he is awaiting a tow to the nearest port, the tug should be in the area around 0200hrs CET.

Loïc Féquet, skipper of the Multi 50 Maitre Jacques reported: "There were 25 to 28 knots and big seas, but I was not attacking. In fact I was under double-reefed main and staysail. I did not hit anything. It broke in exactly the same place as last year *. The float is new"

Féquet has secured his boat. He is about 7 miles (13 km) from the coast and reported to be drifting northwards at two knots. The skipper is inside the boat awaiting help.

Somebodies got some explaining to do!

Marc Lepesqueux (Sensation Class40) and François Angoulvant (Team Sabrosa SR40 MK2) both on the new Sabrosa 40 boats and both ... losing their keels after just a few hours of racing.

There will be a lot of explaining to do.

How the fuck did Thomas collide with a ship? It's one of the busiest shipping lanes in the world. Surely he had a radar alert?

How the fuck did Thomas collide with a ship? It's one of the busiest shipping lanes in the world. Surely he had a radar alert?

Agree - plus he also would have had AIS CPA.... This shouldn't be able to happen any more - but it does....