Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

edouard

Route du Rhum 2014

Both are now going into the same direction. Yann is ~15% of the remaining distance behind in somewhat lighter winds.

So unless Loick finds a hole and parks for a bit he's unlikely to get caught.

But then there are always sleep deprived breakages. So it's not over until it's over.

Yann is only 7-8 hrs behind (these boats can easily pass 30Kts). Its still pretty close. They also have to gibe around the north/west of Guadeloupe to cross the finish line at Pointe-a-Pitre which could be very slow.

Unless Loick hits something or breaks something, Yann won't get by him. True, these boats are fast, but ... they both are. Sure, maneuvering these boats is tough and making them move in very light airs is tricky, but ... Spindrift2 is tougher to handle than BPVII.

I hope you're right. Would be great to see Loick win. Wish Francis was a factor.

Thank you Laurent, great too see how his sheets are set up.

+1

Is it just me or are these guys giving the VOR a decent run for their money in coverage? And call me Captain.....no, Admiral Obvious, but there's only one person on each boat.

Oh, that is easy!

VOR is 8+1, only half of them available per shift so 4.

The autopilot is driving and every sailor knows that power boaters have to give way. (-1)

Trimming is too hard on the big Tris, so that does not happen either. (-2)

Naviguessing is done at land. (-1)

Leaves only the OBR. :ph34r:

More realistically making a short single shot video is not too hard. Helps if you have an idea what you'll talk about. Uploading is also not hard, as long as it's not live. Then someone at land for a bit of post processing and upload, also stuff like comment moderation and spreading it in the media. It's a nice way to get the sponsor colors, and your own name, out there. There must be a reason why single handled sailors that suck at sponsor relations tend to have finance problems.

(Heck, in the Volvo for the most part you could record the boat side of the live call locally then upload the video & HD audio. Then splice it together in post. This is how some podcasts are done as Skype and TeamSpeak have such a bad audio.)

Thank you Laurent, great too see how his sheets are set up.

+1

Is it just me or are these guys giving the VOR a decent run for their money in coverage? And call me Captain.....no, Admiral Obvious, but there's only one person on each boat.

You just don't get it. To achieve the goal of seducing the masses of fans viewers customers you can't just have some dude with ragged looks (and more often than not with bad teeth) using all sorts of bad language to convey life at the extreme.

The coverage of ocean races A reality show is aimed at fans viewers customers whose curiosity money is stimulated desperately needed to promote an activity combining ingenuity, sportsmanship and love of nature preserve the return on investment of shareholders.

Trimming? Trimming! I wrote a screed on the VOR thread about the OBRs being, shall we say, an under realized concept. I was thinking more about analyzing crew dynamics but now you mention, it Lemonchois' explanatory video about how the boat works is awesome, especially in this case looking at how the rigging might differ from a fully crewed set up. I don't think I've ever seen a VOR video which actually explains what is going on on the boat at even a mild level of technical detail.

The French offshore scene is fascinating because, despite the financial difficulties in Europe, they do have mainstream consumer brands sponsoring boats which seems much more difficult elsewhere. And the sponsors and organizers seem to understand what RedBull and Monster and Mountain Dew understand which is that if it really is extreme, you actually show it's bit rough around the edge and don't just go on about Life at the Extreme and water down all the good stuff. VOR is caught between trying to control communications to make it look as slick as they think it should, but apparently not having the resources to do it fast enough, where as RdR just throws it out there and doesn't worry. Also the successful solo guys are in fact great at communication which is why they have big boats so you're getting a decent OBR free with each skipper.

By the way at this moment, Peyron is inside the record time, though I see he's back to 21kts. Go BP7!

Trimming? Trimming! I wrote a screed on the VOR thread about the OBRs being, shall we say, an under realized concept. I was thinking more about analyzing crew dynamics but now you mention, it Lemonchois' explanatory video about how the boat works is awesome, especially in this case looking at how the rigging might differ from a fully crewed set up. I don't think I've ever seen a VOR video which actually explains what is going on on the boat at even a mild level of technical detail.

The French offshore scene is fascinating because, despite the financial difficulties in Europe, they do have mainstream consumer brands sponsoring boats which seems much more difficult elsewhere. And the sponsors and organizers seem to understand what RedBull and Monster and Mountain Dew understand which is that if it really is extreme, you actually show it's bit rough around the edge and don't just go on about Life at the Extreme and water down all the good stuff. VOR is caught between trying to control communications to make it look as slick as they think it should, but apparently not having the resources to do it fast enough, where as RdR just throws it out there and doesn't worry. Also the successful solo guys are in fact great at communication which is why they have big boats so you're getting a decent OBR free with each skipper.

By the way at this moment, Peyron is inside the record time, though I see he's back to 21kts. Go BP7!

Huge knowledgeable audience for ocean racing (especially short-handed) in France. It's great to see.

I guess the RdR participants understand the difference between live reporting and the polished after show movie. If someone is following a race live, chances are that there is at least some interest in the mechanics of it.

In the VOR thread I've jested that there should be corporate and backstage edits of the OBR media. Take the video we are talking about, cut the tech stuff, keep the views and you have the corporate version suitable for any audience and age. In the VOR there is no tech content, so cut the in-cabin flight lessons instead. ;) - Which is funny, the OD VOR have orders of magnitude less tech difference than the single handler boats. And places that may have differences like the reaching struts are NEVER shown. Heck, the most tech content that I know of goes to SCA. "Trimming does not mean cutting off parts of the sail." Thus the trimming comment above. ;)

Loick, is really sailing well, Also Sebastien Josse on the modified MOD 70 design, hes doing very well too keep up with the longer tris.

I was expecting the ex BPV tri, to be well ahead, but, I guess she must be a real handful single handed, for her size.

I was hoping Idec would be more up with the leaders, as well.

Good to see the Prince De Bretagne, has stayed in one piece so far.

But i guess its not over, till its over..

Go Idec Go!!!

A small series of videos from Tanguy De Lamotte.

As you may remember, he broke his rudder and had to stop in Brest for repair.

So there are 3 videos, one at sea after the break, the repair in Brest and back at sea afterwards.

Tanguy has a unique sponsorship scheme. He is sponsored by an ONG called Initiatives Coeur. They raise funds to bring third world children with heart diseases in first world hospitals to get heart surgery.

The way it works is "mecenes" (good samaritans) will give 1 euro for each "Like" on their facebook page. So please visit their web site and their facebook page... Google Initiatives Coeur and you should find it. This is why Tanguy refers in one of the videos to the 13th child being saved.

At sea, just after the break.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x29nbfx_safran-casse-pour-tanguy-de-lamotte_sport

The repair in Brest

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x29nljx_l-escale-de-tanguy-de-lamotte-a-brest_sport

Back at sea, near Portugal

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x29nn1j_jour-4-a-bord-d-initiatives-coeur-avec-tanguy_sport

Thanks again Laurent. Will arrange some 'likes'

http://www.initiatives-coeur.fr/operation-1-clic-1-coeur

1 click = 1 €

For each click "Like" on Facebook Initiatives Heart, sponsors of the boat (Initiatives, k.line, Chocolates Alex Olivier) pay € 1 Cardiac Surgery to operate sick children.
1 € = 2 sharing
Whenever the user sharing this link on his Facebook wall, an extra € 2 are given by sponsors.

and the FB link https://www.facebook.com/initiativescoeur?ref=br_rs

Thanks Laurent, Tanguy looked very cool. He is good with composites, seen him 10 yrs ago :)

Nice job in translations, some positive feedback; Stratification is reinforcements, casc = cassette

Here is a good photo of Yann Elies zooming along at the helm of his MOD 70, Paprec Recyclage.

post-106106-0-47305100-1415536744_thumb.png

Loick must average about 14kn to get the record.

Doing 25+ knts! Nice!

Anyone knows where to watch live coverage of the finish?

Loick must average about 14kn to get the record.

For reference, current record is 7 j 17 h 19 min 6 s, on the 6 November 2006 by Lionel Lemonchois.

16 hours to cover 240nm .and he's clipping along at 25+ knots

Very interesting to see how much the times have dropped since the first event. From 23 days to 7!

Also interesting to see that the only non-French to place in the top-three have been American or Canadian. Where are they now?!

post-3736-0-01704900-1415541243_thumb.png

ETA at this morning, Guadalupe local hour (GMT-4 , I think)

Ultimes

Banque Populaire : dimanche 9 nov. 22h30
Spindrift 2 : lundi 10 nov. 14h00
Prince de Bretagne : mardi 11 nov. 02h00
Edmond de Rothschild : mardi 11 nov. 09h00
Musandam Oman Sail : mardi 11 nov. 14h00
IDEC Sport : mardi 11 nov. 17h00
Paprec Recyclage : mardi11 nov. 20h00

Multi 50

FenêtréA Cardinal : jeudi 13 nov. 06h00

Imoca

MACIF : vendredi 14 nov. 15h30

Class40

OTIO Bastide Médical : mardi 18 nov. 02h00

Vid of heli rescue Multi 50 skipper, check liferaft, jump into water with bouyance aid to get to diver.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x29gyjb_les-images-incroyables-de-l-elitreuillage-de-pierre-antoine-skipper-multi-50-olmix_sport

I believe his boat is the winner in multi50 class of the last edition, 4 years ago... A wood epoxy construction.

His boat was struck by lightning!!! On top of the mast.

All electrical items (including the ones turned of) blew up. A fire started inside the boat (thank God for the skipper, he was on deck at the time of the strike).

The fire stopped by itself... because the boat was sinking. When he went inside, there was already 50 cm of water and rising...

He said in an interview that if he had been inside, he would have died electrocuted, most likely. Even ifthe boat would not have sunk (the amas are OK), it was completely unable to sail. That is why he evacuated.

The boat has been recovered and towed to La Coruna. They pulled it out of the water veeeeerrryyy slowly, pumping water out at the same time. He said that it had about 3 tons of water inside. They have found 7 or 8 holes in the main hull, spots where the thunder bolt went through to get to the water... All holes are small, and the boat will be repaired. The inside is a mess, with all electricals to be replaced (the computer screens blew up, for instance...) and he is not so confident in his rig anymore... It went through a few tens of thousands of volts, I guess....

Very rare accident I guess...

For live coverage of the finish, it will be available one hour before finish on this French Television http://www.franceo.fr/ (don't know if you can watch it oversea)

live tracker will be refreshed every 6 minutes when the competitors are entering a 30 nm area around the north cape of Basse Terre*

and the winners press conf will be live on the rdr website at H+1:30

If the weather forecasts are to be believed the wind will gradually shift to the right for Loick as he approaches Guadeloupe and he may be able to lay the northern tip of the island without gybing. He would certainly greet it with a sigh of relief, the alternative would be two gybes in relative quick succession which on BPVII would really be a handful. We'll see in the next few hours.

well said

By the way at this moment, Peyron is inside the record time, though I see he's back to 21kts. Go BP7

well said

By the way at this moment, Peyron is inside the record time, though I see he's back to 21kts. Go BP7

This clip of Loick, is a good example of what your writing...

( thank you to Laurent for the subtitles )

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x29os8p_banque-populaire-vii-loick-peyron_sport

If the weather forecasts are to be believed the wind will gradually shift to the right for Loick as he approaches Guadeloupe and he may be able to lay the northern tip of the island without gybing. He would certainly greet it with a sigh of relief, the alternative would be two gybes in relative quick succession which on BPVII would really be a handful. We'll see in the next few hours.

Hum ... nope. Ain't going to make it on a direct route. :angry:

On an other note, seems Lionel has dug himself out of the hole he was in. Must be fuming.

Interesting, Bruno has come in 2nd, in the RDR race twice, and Loick hasn't finished in the top three.

Hope he pulls it off, and changes the record....... ;)

A few hours more, 75 m to go, trackers says 111.3 ...

^They have to sail North around the island. Hence the 111.3 nm.

Very interesting to see how much the times have dropped since the first event. From 23 days to 7!

Also interesting to see that the only non-French to place in the top-three have been American or Canadian. Where are they now?!

Just to emphasis how dominant the French are:

Non French top 3 after 1982: 0

Top 3 positions: France 24, Canada 2, USA 1

Individuals with Top 3 finishes: France 18, Canada 1, USA 1

it's quite normal, this race has mostly been run on tipicaly french boat class.

Orma, Imoca, Ultimes ...

Non French Podium top 3 after 1982: 0

Individuals with Top 3 finishes: French 18, Canada 1, USA 1

Laurent Bourgnon, the only two time winner and three times on the podium is ... Swiss.

Besides, I don't see why a single handed race starting in metropolitan France and finishing in one of it's overseas territories, and whose participants are overwhelmingly French would NOT be dominated by the French.

What is really notable about the Route du Rhum's history isn't that it has been dominated by Frenchmen helming multihulls. It is that in the first edition a Frenchman helming a 70ft state of the art monohull was beaten by a tiny yellow trimaran helmed by .... an English speaking Canadian.

So no free decision how to round the island, a pity.

What is really notable about the Route du Rhum's history isn't that it has been dominated by Frenchmen helming multihulls. It is that in the first edition a Frenchman helming a 70ft state of the art monohull was beaten by a tiny yellow trimaran helmed by .... an English speaking Canadian.

That was the year my dad dragged us down to St.Malo to see what all the fuss was about. Michel Malinovski on his big Blue machine and Mike on his little tri. Little did we know about the outcome then.

Picked up a few posters there that graced my bedroom wall for a long time. Seems like yesterday.

Besides, I don't see why a single handed race starting in metropolitan France and finishing in one of it's overseas territories, and whose participants are overwhelmingly French would NOT be dominated by the French.

Brittany is closer to England than it is to France. Or so Guillaume Le Conquerant thought.

Brittany is closer to England than it is to France. Or so Guillaume Le Conquerant thought.

Guillaume Le Conquerant was Duke of ... Normandy. I.e.a Nordman Viking :)

Laurent Bourgnon, the only two time winner and three times on the podium is ... Swiss.

My bad, I simply did math from above posting. Apologies to Laurent Bourgnon and the Swiss

Corrected Numbers (assuming Wikipedia correct)

Top 3 positions: France 21, Switzerland 3, Canada 2, USA 1

Individuals with Top 3 finishes: France17, Switzerland 1, Canada 1, USA 1

Yes looking at a few other classes adds a couple of non-French positions

Yes the race runs from France to France (départements d'outre-mer)

But by that measure the English would be dominating at Wimbledon and no non-French would place in the Tour-de-France.

I remember being hugely proud at Michael Birch’s performance in 78 and 82...and a little disappointed no-one on this side of the pond has placed since then...and I still think this is an impressive winning streak by the French.

My bad, I simply did math from above posting. Apologies to Laurent Bourgnon and the Swiss

Corrected Numbers (assuming Wikipedia correct)

Top 3 positions: France 21, Switzerland 3, Canada 2, USA 1

Individuals with Top 3 finishes: France18, Switzerland 1, Canada 1, USA 1

Yes looking at a few other classes adds a couple of non-French positions

Yes the race runs from France to France (départements d'outre-mer)

But by that measure the English would be dominating at Wimbledon and no non-French would place in the Tour-de-France.

I remember being hugely proud at Michael Birch’s performance in 78 and 82...and a little disappointed no-one on this side of the pond has placed since then...and I still think this is an impressive winning streak by the French.

The fact RdR is run in France is only one of the reasons I stated. Englishmen were dominant at Wimbledon when only Brits even knew about the sport. Same for the French in the initial editions of the Tour de France when only Frenchmen participated.

You also forgot and English girl name Ellen MacArtur, who won the IMOCA on 2002, and, if I remember correctly, finished before the ORMA winner who was Mich Dej, but then, the monohulls were starting 1 day before the multihulls, and so avoided the massive low that wiped out quite all the fleet

final gybe done
one tack to port and he'll be rum drunk !

That's why he invaded England rather than Brittany.

You also forgot and English girl name Ellen MacArtur, who won the IMOCA on 2002, and, if I remember correctly, finished before the ORMA winner who was Mich Dej, but then, the monohulls were starting 1 day before the multihulls, and so avoided the massive low that wiped out quite all the fleet

Impossible to forget Ellen. Very special.

I see this conversation is taking a turn for the more theoretical.

On a different topic, If my French is correct, which is unlikely, I see Riccardo Diniz was DQed for going in to the restricted zone off Ushant. Can someone explain what that area is off limits as well as the area of Cape Finisterre?

The RdR Twitter feed is forecasting LP's arrival at 3:30am Paris time.

(And that Ricardo Diniz has been disqualified -breach of TSS rules, AIUI)

I see this conversation is taking a turn for the more theoretical.

On a different topic, If my French is correct, which is unlikely, I see Riccardo Diniz was DQed for going in to the restricted zone off Ushant. Can someone explain what that area is off limits as well as the area of Cape Finisterre?

You are only aloud to navigate one way in shipping lanes, same thing as on roads. He was DQed because he was sailing against the traffic in one of those lanes. Some areas of shipping lanes are off limits to small craft because of the high density of merchant shipping, the same way bicycles aren't allowed on highways.

He invaded England because his cousin Edward the Confessor had promised him the Crown of England, or so he claimed. This is getting too far off topic :)

No sign of the announced wind shadows yet. BPVII smocking at 30kts+

He invaded England because his cousin Edward the Confessor had promised him the Crown of England, or so he claimed. This is getting too far off topic :)

Burn him!

(and go, LoLo!)

While Loick Peyron is now only 48 miles from the finish, in Class 40, Alex Pella has taken the lead, just ahead of Kito de Pavant.

post-106106-0-96414000-1415572653_thumb.png

Getting a bit more interesting between Sidney and Seb. Seb has a nice lead but Sidney jibing earlier for the layline. Come on Sidney!!!

No sign of the announced wind shadows yet. BPVII smocking at 30kts+

The shadows are there: 0.9 knots at 33.2 miles

Maybe he got too close to the coast ?

YES!

BPV is doing a last tack East , live feed says its to go around some shallow area.

Edit : now hes back to north

Loick won!

For a guy who was supposed to do the RdR on a small 40 feet tri... this story should be done in a movie!

Bravo Loick!

Record of Lemonchois falls

EXTRORDINAIE !!!! was the exclamation on the live coverage

He has crossed the line ! from skiff moth foiling to the beast Extra not ordinary !!!!

Loick won!

For a guy who was supposed to do the RdR on a small 40 feet tri... this story should be done in a movie!

Bravo Loick!

Record of Lemonchois falls

That was a piece of sailing history! ......no country for old men ..... but give us the ocean!

"...Loïck Peyron aboard the Maxi Solo Bank Populaire VII improves the record of the Route du Rhum of Lionel Lemonchois of 2 hours 10 minutes and 34 seconds! #BravoLoick ..."

Fantastic. Congratulations Loick!!

+1

Loïck Peyron.....The Best Sailor...and The Greatest Gentleman !! Bravo !!

+1

Congrats to the whole BP team, the best package won.

- a well prepared and tested boat backed by an efficient team

- a fantastic navigation/routing duo: Marcel Van Triest (one of the best in this field) and Armel Le Cléac'h (who knows the boat perfectly)

- Loick who at 54 has it all and was ready to give it all (especially during the first night) to finally put his hands on this prize

Edit: a thought for Thomas Coville who had the closest matched package and a small regret the two couldn't battle it out all the way.

Amazing result. Only on the boat for a couple of months. Well done Loick.

Kudos to Yann Guichard for bringing S2 to the finish (yes he will). The weather conditions were tougher than 4 years ago and bringing S2 through it solo is a major achievement.

Seb seems to have sealed the deal over Sydney on the southern route. Will be interesting to see where Lionel (on a different route) slots in, I doubt he can overtake Seb, but it's tight with Sydney.

Lucky for us there still are tight battles at the front in the other classes to keep us hooked even after the arrival of all the Ultimes.

http://www.yachtingworld.com/news/537577/route-du-rhum-record-scared-lo-ck-peyron

"This is what the multihull game is all about. You have to constantly manage the boat. One night I fell asleep at the helm and nearly capsized the boat. This is a great victory; possibly one of the nicest and breaking the record is the cherry on top of the cake."

actually, Peyron who is weel known for joking all the time didn't said "the cherry on top of the cake"

he said "la cerise sur le bateau" (the cherry on to of the boat) cause bateau (boat) and gateau (cake) sounds alike in french.

Humm ... jokes with sleep depravation ....

+1. Definitely one of the greats. Listening to the press conference he expresses great humility and shares the success with the whole team, Marcel Van Triest (his onshore navigator) and Armel.

Spindrift 2 down to 1.5 knots with 75 miles to the finish.

post-106106-0-22792600-1415629152_thumb.png

Funny. Sir Robin is my new role model.

Food there is in plenty as I am not eating anything like 3000 calories a day which I provisioned for.The main exercise comes with the occasional grind on the winches as I don't have to walk far for anything. Cigarettes ran out 2 days ago.That was deliberate, if possibly unwise.The whiskey won’t last until the finish, another inducement to get a move on.

http://clipperroundtheworld.com/news/article/sir-robin-knoxjohnston-moves-up-two-places-in-rhum-class

At it's current speed, Spindrift 2 has about another 3-1/2 hours or so until crossing the finish line.

However, Yann might pick up speed and finish sooner.

post-106106-0-38411900-1415639381_thumb.png

Spindrift crossed the line, now is Sebastien Josse turn, impressive from the beginning with a Mod70.

Between Sidney and Lionel will be close for 4th.