Sign in to follow this  
Abbo

New Rambler

"The Manly" is the local bar nearest the yacht clubs for many of us southern Qld'ers. The standard of clientele has never been high but in the last ten years or so is has positively plummeted. "Shallow end of the gene pool" is being kind.

Karaoke night is always great entertainment before the Keppel, certainly some unique creatures holding up the front bar

Yeah, it does look like they've crashed it already.

Which end is the front?

All together now.... 1, 2, 3, "The front fell off."

JuanK boat had the bow fall off coming out of the shed. new record?

Impressive find.

10374888_712780048782483_175500291737717

No Shit! - not an easy task in that water. Wonder if they were specifically looking for it this much later or they had somehow located it earlier and for some reason waited until now to salvage it. It is not likely to just have been stumbled upon.

^^^ The value accrues to the insurance company who may now claim (based on physical evidence), their insured has nothing to do with the failure!

yeah I doubt the scrap value of the bulb would exceed the cost of recovery. But why would the insurance company wait so long, almost 3 years, to retrieve the strut to do their investigation?

Why would the value be in the bulb? Lead is cheap and you can cast your own in a backyard with normal household equipment. The bulb is not much of an engineering challenge because it bears little load way out there on the end and there is no incentive to make it light. That makes it likely irrelevant to any investigation. The strut is almost certainly more valuable scrap and information.

15-20t of lead at a maximum of $1.00 per kg = a few bucks!

No value in a broken fin.

This is not about salvaging some tin - the cost of salvage would easily be much more than the value of the metal

This is not about salvaging some tin - the cost of salvage would easily be much more than the value of the metal
Yep. This is all about the engineering value of seeing how it failed, and most of all, it gives the insurance company a fighting chance of passing the bill on to someone else.

yeah but why wait three years?

Possible they didn't locate it until now. Maybe a trawler snagged it in net, which gave them an idea of location?

yeah but why wait three years?

Possible they didn't locate it until now. Maybe a trawler snagged it in net, which gave them an idea of location?
I'm guessing that's pretty close to the real answer. They probably got a solid location after someone stumbled upon it, and decided it was now cost effective to go get it.

They found the keel near where the boat capsized....

Personally, I would have thought it would be right where the boat turned into a turtle.

Some degree of error is probably the reason for the distance from where Rambler capsized.

It looks like they cut the bulb off, I assume this happened on the ocean floor.

Fully understand.Merely replying to the comment above mine

"Why would the value be in the bulb? Lead is cheap and you can cast your own in a backyard with normal household equipment"

What are the chances the fin detached itself from the bulb when it hit the bottom? It would have had a fair bit of pace on. If the bottom is quite firm there I guess it's possible. The only way to detach it at that depth is to send a ROV / human down with gas axe of some description.... either way not very cheap.

But if the bulb was still attached and they were forced to recover the whole thing then I guess the size of the recovery vessel would need to be a whole lot bigger, driving costs up significantly. Maybe it was cheaper to send some one down to cut it? I guess they don't need the bulb to do their investigations, just the fin.

I don't have charts for that area of the world but I think this is fastnet rock.

Depths around 60m. If the mast is 100ft then perhaps 30m bottom could have caused problems depending on drift.

Anyone got a better chart?

post-12901-0-76926900-1402659565_thumb.jpg

80m of water, unlikely they sent someone down to cut it off, but looking at the pic, it's definitely been cut - rov?

I don't see where it has "definitely been cut". The H shape section of the metal spar is apparent, as are the LE and TE fairings. Should fit here nicely:

post-699-0-73155500-1402663624_thumb.jpg

Wouldn't the mast be 150'+? I'm just extrapolating from my ordinary J/120.

Specifically 6 giraffes according to the boats website.

African or European giraffes?

I would say when Hell freezes over..

So if that's anything like last year, I would say mid December....

Thought it was meant to be Septemberish!

African or European giraffes?

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/animals/blindfolded-giraffe-killed-after-hitting-head-on-bridge-20140801-zz8kl.html

Certainly not these Giraffes.... Probably a bit shorter now than when it left the yard...

Thought it was meant to be Septemberish!

Still a hell of a lot of fairing to do as of a couple weeks ago. No deck hardware on either.

Just heard a large portion of the build management team just got the axe because the boat is so far behind schedule. Spring launch likely.

Just heard a large portion of the build management team just got the axe because the boat is so far behind schedule. Spring launch likely.

Wow. How on earth was she allowed to get that far behind schedule?

Shame, a slow build can really hurt a boat's chances to get good results. The lifespan for a successful yachts these days is short enough as it is.... losing 6 months in the build time is no small thing. Let's hope the change in management is what was needed and she get back on track fast.

Shame, a slow build can really hurt a boat's chances to get good results. The lifespan for a successful yachts these days is short enough as it is.... losing 6 months in the build time is no small thing. Let's hope the change in management is what was needed and she get back on track fast.

Funny reading this in context of your own statements about WOXI being the best super maxi even now- long time after her launch. Please do not ruin this tread as well, just a start a new one "Abbo against rest of the world"

There will always be exceptions, look at Shockwave right now. And I will "ruin" this thread any way I like. I fucking started it. Good day sir.

Funny reading this in context of your own statements about WOXI being the best super maxi even now- long time after her launch. Please do not ruin this tread as well, just a start a new one "Abbo against rest of the world"

How many changes has WOXI had since being launched in 2005?

There will always be exceptions, look at Shockwave right now. And I will "ruin" this thread any way I like. I fucking started it. Good day sir.

Where did Shockwave finish in last year's Worlds? Oh look she came third!

Since when is third a bad result? Next world's are only a week or so away aren't they? Should be a good one!

Noting Shockwave ver. 2 is even funnier. Exception2 probably.

Didn't Shockwave beat Bella Mente on line and handicap to win this year's Bermuda race? That's a pretty cool exception IMHO.

Well, that didn't take long to get out...

Hey, some of us don't drink at the IYAC every night.

Hey, that'd make two of us then...cant remember the last time I was in there. It was more a comment of less than 24hrs after the action, the news of the reshuffle was up on here, but I guess it was too subtle.

or European giraffes?

is that like an austrian kangaroo?

Anyone know what's happening to the old Rambler? Donation I'd assume

He kept her during the Speedboat days, no reason to donate.

This is different. The 100 was a rental. This one he owns.

Is he noted for his philanthropy? I do seem to recall during his marital difficulties he put in a large figure for charity. In the absence of a blank cheque to run one, how much is a boat that size worth anyway, to a charity that is.

This is different. The 100 was a rental. This one he owns.

Need something to keep around locally to do the cruise. :P

Surprised it's so cheap. She has a lot of 'First to Finish' awards in the Around Block Island Race.

Outdated tech and still costs probably $2m/ year to seriously campaign. Modern mini maxis are most likely faster around the buoys, if not also offshore.

Ex-Lahana (Zana/Konica Minolta) was listed asking like $600k.

It's not going anywhere at that price. Lahana went for quite a bit less than 600 and it was bigger, faster and just as well maintained. If they want it to move they need to start at about 750, might get 500. But if they are in no rush and have a good sales team you never know when some idiot will come along and pay top dollar.

Captain Jack Sparrow, on 11 Sept 2014 - 03:30, said:

Edith Bicknell, on 11 Sept 2014 - 01:53, said:

Surprised it's so cheap. She has a lot of 'First to Finish' awards in the Around Block Island Race.

Outdated tech and still costs probably $2m/ year to seriously campaign. Modern mini maxis are most likely faster around the buoys, if not also offshore.

IIRC Rambler 90 was engineered to be a serious offshore mono - strong and very well suited to Sydney - Hobart etc. Word was that Croaky's previous R/P 80 footer was built too lightly for that type of racing (didn't stop Andrew Short taking it to Hobart years later though, the rest being history...). Rambler 90 could be quite a good offshore proposition as it can outrun mini maxis and in tough conditions perhaps throttle back less than the 100 footers and hang onto them. It's in stunning condition for a 12 year old boat.

Or cut the deck of and build a new hull...

Evidently it cost "...$95,943 a week to own and operate the 90-foot Rambler"

Which sounds like $5MM/year to me to run a very classy operation.