Sign in to follow this  
Abbo

New Rambler

88' would have been a very comfortable decision for Jaun K. Big enough that it will kick arse when racing against all the 70-80 foot boats but small enough that if it gets dogged but the 100' boats its because of size.

88' would have been a very comfortable decision for Jaun K. Big enough that it will kick arse when racing against all the 70-80 foot boats but small enough that if it gets dogged but the 100' boats its because of size.

I'll give you a ransom if you can get him to admit that...!

The max length of 100' is for all the big races or just the Hobart?

Transpac is also limited to 100 ft

Bermuda is limited to 100ft

I'll give you a ransom if you can get him to admit that...!

It's a point, not sure the reasoning. The new/replacement BG 80 is another that doesn't quite fit the rule either.

Bow comparison.

Rambler versus Groupama 70.

The Groupama shot looks like a render shot and from a different angle, very hard to see the details.

Do you have a point?

George David states today on 'The Daily Sail' that the program so far is to deliver South to Florida to train, Les Voiles de St Barths then focus on the 2015 Transatlantic Race.

Interesting that she doesn't have an escape hatch in the transom like Comanche does. You'd think after what happened with Rambler 100 in the Fastnet that a hatch would have been in the plans from the beginning.

Funny canters. My boat only looks like that when she's aground.

Is that a regular sight?

At the moment it is, she's in the back yard under a tent.

Maybe there is cutaway hatch under the hull.

There is a flush escape hatch on the transom that is camouflaged by the M and the B. A very nice detail from the boys at NEB!

Maybe there is cutaway hatch under the hull.

There is a flush escape hatch on the transom that is camouflaged by the M and the B. A very nice detail from the boys at NEB!

Well spotted!

So what's the story with that crazy chine/seam type thing rolling back towards the rudder? I'm not sure I've seen that before.

10848200_324748797728233_1547325867_n.jp

Illustrates pretty well how small and narrow the immersed sections are when one of these wedges heels, and what sort of angle the boards are at - and hence how much lift they can generate.

Mind that is a bigger heel angle than they would want to see in practice I'd guess

So what's the story with that crazy chine/seam type thing rolling back towards the rudder? I'm not sure I've seen that before.

it's paint

What he said. They use this special paint on the underwater parts that is supposed to discourage marine life...

I have heard that some simulations have this boat being safely faster than rambler 100. If true that would be quite an accomplishment. I've also heard Rome Kirby may be the person to run it.

I have heard that some simulations have this boat being safely faster than rambler 100. If true that would be quite an accomplishment. I've also heard Rome Kirby may be the person to run it.

& The latest Beau Geste was going to be faster than 100' supermaxi's. Also a VO70 was supposed to beat a supermaxi 7 times from 10 starts in the Hobart.

it's paint
Fuck, I'm dumb. No more drinking and looking at boat pictures on my phone for me!

+1

& The latest Beau Geste was going to be faster than 100' supermaxi's. Also a VO70 was supposed to beat a supermaxi 7 times from 10 starts in the Hobart.

We remember the BG press release (that no one except for Sail-World readers paid any attention to, BTW), but where was that other info from? Uranus?

We remember the BG press release (that no one except for Sail-World readers paid any attention to, BTW), but where was that other info from? Uranus?

How many VO70's have raced SH recently? You do the math!

FWIW ABN1 was beating Wild Oats before they dropped the rig, maybe they bought into the idea way back then.

to fill the dagger board case when they are raised. So you can have a tapered planform but still have a clean windward slot when the board is raised.

She does Not seeem to have a Kicker? No need anymore to Lift the Boom at light Winds? Does anybody know the reasoning behind this?

She does Not seeem to have a Kicker? No need anymore to Lift the Boom at light Winds? Does anybody know the reasoning behind this?

It's obviously not rigged yet but I'm guessing it will have a soft vang. Southern have been doing this for quite a while now, the booms are getting so bloody light these days they have no need for them. Some boats have a detachable strut to hold the boom up when the main is down but that's about it.

FWIW ABN1 was beating Wild Oats before they dropped the rig, maybe they bought into the idea way back then.

You wrote "was supposed to beat a supermaxi"

I asked you who said that.

It was a claim a VO70 team made. That's all i'lll say.

It was a claim a VO70 team made. That's all i'lll say.

The Volvo 70's clocked 40 Knots top speed and Wild Oats around 35 Knots so it's possible in surfing conditions but over a long distance I wouldn't have thought they would have a chance nowadays

10848200_324748797728233_1547325867_n.jp

Can anyone explain what is happening in this photo? Seems like the boat should be healing the other way, no?

*********** is standing near the port chain plates.

It's obviously not rigged yet but I'm guessing it will have a soft vang. Southern have been doing this for quite a while now, the booms are getting so bloody light these days they have no need for them. Some boats have a detachable strut to hold the boom up when the main is down but that's about it.

Thanks! Like on racing dighys no vang - so the boom must be so light that it does not close the main at very light Winds - impressive.

I have seen two crew (one being a 60kg girl) walk off a 66 foot canter with the boom on their shoulders like it was no big thing. Crazy light, beautiful piece of work by Southern's.

no question she is a looker, captures a lot of that VO70 flair but on a slimmer, lower profile package. Only one problem: Designer hasn't done a single successful big boat in something like a decade unless it starts with a V and an O

Clean, and there you were, slobbering all over the Speedboat when Alex gave you full access, Ass.

And I'd slobber all over the R88 too. She's gorgeous, and I don't really care about handicap racing. Then again, I didn't spend 20 million or whatever for a new race boat.

Would you care to make a point? Perhaps you'd like to cite all of JuanK's Maxi successes? Or better yet, fill in the blank: JuanK is a perfect designer for a boat like this, because_______________________.

Nah Clean, it's more the 'OMG the _______ is awesome because we got access, then snipe away from the sidelines once things go wrong or the next latest/greatest program comes along. Eg Ernesto is the Anti Christ, Larry will save us all...oh wait, um...next.

For fucks sake

He runs a sailing website!!!!

Kinda expected.

Would you have been slobbering all over speedboat if you had have had access?

Do you think the boats been successful since it's launch in 2008? Cool as it is

It's a seriously horny looking ship, let's hope for JK and GD 's sake it goes like a cut cat.

Nah Clean, it's more the 'OMG the _______ is awesome because we got access, then snipe away from the sidelines once things go wrong or the next latest/greatest program comes along. Eg Ernesto is the Anti Christ, Larry will save us all...oh wait, um...next.

Dude when Speedboat was launched JuanK was the shit, and deserved to be worshipped a bit. None of his boats had cracked in half or killed anyone yet, and to be quite honest I can't remember SA ever sniping at that boat one bit. We dig excess, and Alex cracks me up.

Context can be important, though if you would like to alter reality to fit a narrative that you have in your head, there's not much I can do about it.

Do wonder how he got the gig, especially after what happened the last time (?) GD went sailing on a JK boat?

Here's my shot at it:

GD: What about the 100's capsize? How did that happen?

JK: Well, those structures guys, they just didn't do the calcs right when the mods were made. And the builders, they fucked it up!

GD: But what about Bernard? Open 60s are supposed to be able to take anything, right?

JK: Yeah, but those french guys, when they repair a boat, they fucked it up! And Bernard, he should have taken in a fifth reef in that storm!

GD: And Artemis?

JK: Those builders, they fucked it up! And those sailors, they fucked it up too!

Do wonder how he got the gig, especially after what happened the last time (?) GD went sailing on a JK boat?

Here's my shot at it:

GD: What about the 100's capsize? How did that happen?

JK: Well, those structures guys, they just didn't do the calcs right when the mods were made. And the builders, they fucked it up!

GD: But what about Bernard? Open 60s are supposed to be able to take anything, right?

JK: Yeah, but those french guys, when they repair a boat, they fucked it up! And Bernard, he should have taken in a fifth reef in that storm!

GD: And Artemis?

JK: Those builders, they fucked it up! And those sailors, they fucked it up too!

GD: you really think I'm dumb enough to believe all those excuses?

JK: I hope so! Sign here please.

GD: no problem, but here's a few bits my lawyers added to the contract in case this thing breaks in half as usual...

Is that a recent rule? Mari Cha IV was around 140' as I recall.

IRRC S2H used to have a 30 meter limit. And some called it 98'. So funny that boat lengths use feet so often even when they are not often designed or built in feet. And Transpac and others had a 100' limit. Then S2H bowed to convention and increased their max length to 100'

Yep and when they changed to 100 ft almost all the 98fters added 2 ft to the boats. Iirc lahana was the only one that didnt

MC4 raced the Pacific Cup, not Transpac.

Is that a recent rule? Mari Cha IV was around 140' as I recall.

If they want to do the Hobart (and it seems to be the top race currently?), then surely Wild Oats record shows you the optimum design for the most probable conditions? Maybe Ive just done too much light wind sailing but the easily driven shape of wild oats seems very versatile when combined with the canting keel. Did people draw any conclusions re the crossover point from Wild Oats to Loyal? I only ask because I thought people were talking about ~20knots which seems like quite a lot to bank upon/require.

Why no pics of the new Rambler sailing yet..? I've seen some small shots with the main up and thats it..?

Iced in harbour?

Why no pics of the new Rambler sailing yet..? I've seen some small shots with the main up and thats it..?

Mostly because it's freeze your balls off cold in the northeast United States right now.

Leaving for Florida Saturday and registered for the key west feeder race

That's cutting it a little close...

They need a guy like you on the crew for some superior knowledge.

Leaving for Florida Saturday and registered for the key west feeder race

Who gets to do the delivery and race?

.... That looks like the kind of weather you don't go outside in, let alone deliver to Florida

Take an extra bottle of gas and keep the hot food coming. Makes the miles tick by faster.

.... That looks like the kind of weather you don't go outside in, let alone deliver to Florida

To me it looks like a reason to deliver to Florida ASAP

Not sitting back and enjoying the scenery.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/index/positions/all/shipid:2129382/mmsi:367642260/shipname:RAMBLER%2088/per_page:50/page:1

What has the wind been like over the pass yew days?

West on Sat when then left newport, but has gone SW on Sunday. So reach to start and then upwind.

Not sitting back and enjoying the scenery.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/index/positions/all/shipid:2129382/mmsi:367642260/shipname:RAMBLER%2088/per_page:50/page:1

What has the wind been like over the pass yew days?

Yagottalove the little zigzag around Block Island.

"Hey skipper, there's an island ahead !"

"Oh shit ! Ahem. Yeah, I knew that."

Whats the big rush to go race against a Beneteau 36.7? I hope their getting time and a half for this delivery!

Just watching this topic for now, but since I'm new, requisite tits below:

kamGK42.jpg

Yay, ex-GFs!

Doing 8 knots off of Hilton head right now. Are they really going to be doing a race that starts tomorrow afternoon??

Marine Traffic had them off of Palm Beach Gardens at 1 AM doing 8.8 Kts, so no real worries about making the start.

What's the forecast for the feeder race?

They're just arriving in the starting area now. About half an hour their warning gun. Needed to get refueled off of cape Canaveral because they nor up all their gas pushing to be on time. Whoops. Almost turned into the longest Vanderbilt ever. Vmg running down the florida cost looks like no much fun.