Sign in to follow this  
Abbo

New Rambler

So, was the race hindered by not stopping for the night before to rest, or helped by a crew desperate for a post-race beverage?

Yes

New topic...

What awful color did George pick out for the crew gear this time around?

Day Glo Orange will have a strong presence.

Interesting to see that they're going for the same too-long-in-the-luff look that Comanche's main had. Must be fast (or at least North think it is) rather than tape measure error on two boats.

just the foot round hanging over the weather side of the boom. the boom is not flexible, nor bent.

Carries a fair bit of rake doesn't she? Sails look rather nice.

They have to be that flat as the apparent is so far forward on these machines.

What's the consensus after the RORC Caribbean Race? From doing the elapsed time analysis I think she is performing like a start of the art 100 imo. Can't wait to see her against some of the current 100's, any thoughts yet?

Well, she'll be sailing against the Comanche in St Barts, that a current enough 100 for ya?

BAM!

So I was checking pay-per-view to see if there were any decent new movies available, and noticed one called R100. I was thinking, wow... that might be interesting. I wonder what kind of plot they were able to cobble together about that boat.

Then I discovered it was this:

Opted out... might be a good movie, but wasn't really what I was looking for.

Rambler, Bella and Comanche in the same regatta. The top three American Grand Prix teams in one place at once!

Very interesting 100, 88 & 72 of the latest designs racing together.

Go R88.

The jib looks so flat to my eye

Cos your eye ain't tuned to boats sailing at multiples of TWS

No idea, no news on their site or the official regatta site. No protests lodged, noticed Selene was a retirement.

Well, the Rambler beat Comanche today, with Lucky second and Bella a DNS.

Am I reading that wrong? It looks to me like Comanche beat Rambler by 10 minutes.

BM equipment issues.

Yes 10 mins on the water, but losing 17 minutes on corrected.

I think that 7 minutes on corrected.

Well, the Rambler beat Comanche today, with Lucky second and Bella a DNS.

Am I reading that wrong? It looks to me like Comanche beat Rambler by 10 minutes.

yeah.. misleading. just means rambler is fast. hope we se some video .

BM equipment issues.

I think that 7 minutes on corrected.

Oops :ph34r:

BM equipment issues.

GC32 also DNF, Toccata (GB55) too. No idea why yet.

No idea, no news on their site or the official regatta site. No protests lodged, noticed Selene was a retirement.

Didn't Bella blow something up before the 600? They're having serious reliability issues

At 1.47 in the video you can see Commanches version of the Bob Oatley seat. Looks like a grand throne!

Yeah saw that - doesn't appear to tack like Bob's does though

Looks like the extra 12 feet make a difference. No surprises there. What was more interesting was Brad Butterworth's comments from Rambler. Not sure if there was a hint of sarcasm describing JuanK as the designer? 10 Minutes over the line is substantial, perhaps George will like the idea of winning on handicap but I'm sure Jim Clark will like the idea of getting there first. Race Results page is very slim.

Was Dawn out of shot, down below, clamped on by her gums, whilst BB was being filmed?

Would explain the sarcastic/distracted style of interview.

The jib looks so flat to my eye

Cos your eye ain't tuned to boats sailing at multiples of TWS

No shit sherlock that's why I asked the question Lunchtime hero

Close racing after 2.5 hours. Less than 2% difference in time.

Mex

Reaching strut? Not legal in IRC are they?

10475967_804157379633150_754987847926305

Perhaps part of the Comanche rating penalty, but who cares Comanche not racing for handicap, in fact Ken Reid doesn't even know what their handicap is, line honors is where it's at.

Reaching strut? Not legal in IRC are they?

Seems to be OK as long as it's a jib, and the whisker pole is attached to the clew.

IRC 21.3 Sheeting of Sails, Sail Definitions, Bowsprits and Spinnaker Poles

21.3.1 No headsail or spinnaker may be sheeted from more than one point on the sail.

21.3.2 All sails shall be set and sheeted in accordance with RRS 50, Setting and Sheeting Sails, with the following additions.

21.3.3 RRS 50.3(a) is amended to the extent that a spinnaker or a headsail may be tacked to a bowsprit.

21.3.4 RRS 50.3© is deleted and replaced by: A headsail may be sheeted or attached at its clew or tack to a spinnaker pole or whisker pole, provided:

(a) that a spinnaker is not set,

that the HSA and LLmax dimensions do not exceed the rated values,

[c] deleted for 2015

(d) that the pole length measured as spinnaker tack length (STL) does not exceed the rated STL. A second headsail may be set simultaneously.

RRS 50.3 Use of Outriggers

(a) No sail shall be sheeted over or through an outrigger, except as permitted in rule 50.3.b or 50.3.c. An outrigger is any fitting or other device so placed that it could exert outward pressure on a sheet or sail at a point from which, with the boat upright, a vertical line would fall outside the hull or deck. For the purpose of this rule, bulwarks, rails and rubbing strakes are not part of the hull or deck and the following are not outriggers: a bowsprit used to secure the tack of a sail, a bumkin used to sheet the boom of a sail, or a boom of a boomed headsail that requires no adjustment when tacking.

Any sail may be sheeted to or led above a boom that is regularly used for a sail and is permanently attached to the mast from which the head of the sail is set.

[c] A headsail may be sheeted or attached at its clew to a spinnaker pole or whisker pole, provided that a spinnaker is not set.

Perhaps part of the Comanche rating penalty, but who cares Comanche not racing for handicap, in fact Ken Reid doesn't even know what their handicap is, line honors is where it's at.

Despite what Kenny says flippantly in an interview, I very much doubt he's unaware of the boat's handicap.

Hmmmm, looks like it is attached at the mast so it could be interpreted as a whisker / spin pole I guess.

Hmmmm, looks like it is attached at the mast so it could be interpreted as a whisker / spin pole I guess.

I bet IRC closes this off very quickly. Like the infamous spinoa......

IF it has to be attached to the mast, most boats could not do this anyway. It may be an unexpected benefit of having the mast so far back in the boat.......

I wonder what the J & E measurements are?

les voiles de saint barth is raced under the CSA rule not IRC. The CSA rule makes no mention of outriggers.

Despite what Kenny says flippantly in an interview, I very much doubt he's unaware of the boat's handicap.

I agree - he knows the handicap that is for sure - he has to say something to justify the show...this barely qualifies as sailboat racing.

My mind is slipping, that looks suspiciously like the pole they used in the inclination test back in RI, they must have had it all along..... although I didn't see it used in the Hobart.

I bet IRC closes this off very quickly. Like the infamous spinoa......

IF it has to be attached to the mast, most boats could not do this anyway. It may be an unexpected benefit of having the mast so far back in the boat.......

I wonder what the J & E measurements are?

It's a whisker pole...I don't see what's so damn fancy about besides the fact that you don't usually see 100 footers with em every day.

Not exactly poling out as a true whisker but darn it looks powered up. What do we call this on the big monos now? A gapper? A pole fucker to replace the down fucker?

You could so easily wakeboard of the back and kenny would hardly notice!

Not exactly poling out as a true whisker but darn it looks powered up. What do we call this on the big monos now? A gapper? A pole fucker to replace the down fucker?

You could so easily wakeboard of the back and kenny would hardly notice!

Out fucker...

I agree - he knows the handicap that is for sure - he has to say something to justify the show...this barely qualifies as sailboat racing.

It qualifies no problem as racing, but in extremely rarified air. It in some respects goes back to early America's Cup. It's just being fastest, period, end of discussion. If you're a OD guy though your nose wrinkles at the thought.

I bet Kenny does know a number, and that they do pay attention to it and how gear impacts it. While objective #1 is line honors, objective #2 is not getting embarrassed on corrected just as a matter of principle.

She's been taken apart and in the shed. :blink:

Maybe the flux capacitor isn't fluxing?

For what?

So a bunch of nobodies on the Internet can make wild speculations about something that has zero impact on their lives.

Obviously to make it faster. ;)

Prepare for the 4th mode.

Maybe the flux capacitor isn't fluxing?

I heard it was fluxing fine it just didn't have the required capacity.

Got to be a record - 3 weeks short of 6 months & in for the mods. Still hasn't sold the old one (90) hey?

Recall the new beau geste if you will.

What did they mod?

I I think they added more rocker or something. It did the SH then went straight back into cooksons. There's a thread somewhere.

I remember the thread, I think it was all Chinese whispers though.

Got to be a record - 3 weeks short of 6 months & in for the mods. Still hasn't sold the old one (90) hey?

The mods were already planned during the build period, the timescale for meeting the desired calendar meant that some things got taken off of the initial building period.

Beau geste didn't have any mods to the rocker

which boat was it again that changed the "little piece between mast and keel".

Loved that expression

which boat was it again that changed the "little piece between mast and keel".

Loved that expression

Woxi? 😄

Edit

Saying that they've changed both of them as well.

The funky tips suggest they are dagger boards but maybe DSS is doing the same tip treatment now too. They certainly look pretty short to be dagger boards on an 88 footer.