Abbo

New Rambler

From Scuttlebutt Europe:

George David's American Maxi, Rambler 88, crossed the finish line of the 2015 Rolex Middle Sea Race at the Royal Malta Yacht Club to take Monohull Line Honours at 04.48.43 CET on Tuesday 20th October in an elapsed time of 2 days 16 hours 18 minutes and 43 seconds. George David was greeted by Godwin Zammit, Commodore of the Royal Malta Yacht Club.

Rambler 88 is a far cry from George David's Rambler 90, which set the Rolex Middle Sea Race record in 2007 (47 hours 55 minutes and 3 seconds). Rambler 88, on the design numbers is 20% faster than Rambler 90. Rambler 88 has an enormous sail area and features five metre vertical daggerboards, as well as three metre horizontal foils, which lift the boat when sailing at top speed. The canting keel also produces significant righting moment, allowing the boat to carry a huge amount of sail area aloft and still remain in control.

Rambler 88-picture by Carlo Borlinghi:

169461d.jpg

Yeah, she's beaten Comanche on corrected time two or three times. In the Fastnet race her elapsed time finish was only 4 minutes or so behind Comanche-and she beat Comanche on corrected.

Way to go Juan K!

Yeah, she's beaten Comanche on corrected time two or three times. In the Fastnet race her elapsed time finish was only 4 minutes or so behind Comanche-and she beat Comanche on corrected.

Way to go Juan K!

Doug you of all people would be aware that Comanche does not race for corrected time! Having said that Rambler has been improving all the time but so has Comanche. If Rambler ever beats Comanche over the line then a lot more people will stand up and take notice.

A four minute difference in elapsed time in the Fastnet ought to make anyone stand up and take notice! Just FOUR minutes behind Comanche-don't you realize the significance of that?

A four minute difference in elapsed time in the Fastnet ought to make anyone stand up and take notice! Just FOUR minutes behind Comanche-don't you realize the significance of that?

I probably would if you weren't the one shouting it .

Probably more than you realize the insignificance of that.

The reports I have read suggest conditions played a part, lots of wind holes on the course, maybe some tidal influences too.

A good result for Rambler, probably a drift that Comanche would rather forget.

Plus they did not have their foils in be cause of the forecast light air

Not actually as significant as you think. Breeze was light and filled in from behind where R88 was.

I think both boats are still evolving their potential. This years sydney to Hobart shall be quite interesting.

Doug unfortunately you insult everyone's intelligence by using that race as an example as the conditions were the biggest factor. How about the Transatlantic Race where Rambler was over 5 hours behind or (31 miles slower Over 24 Hours) than Comanche.? Would that be a good example. Would be if Comanche was the boat you were routing for.! LOL

Is anyone seriously suggesting that R88 will beat the Big Indian for line honours.

Surely its preferred conditions are in the same design corner as Comanche.

Is anyone seriously suggesting that R88 will beat the Big Indian for line honours.

Doug Lord has a liking towards Rambler which we all do however Doug is raving on about Rambler beating the Indian on corrected time.! I suggest we set up betting on the Sydney to Hobart this year and Doug can put his money on Rambler until he finds out Wild Oats has a new type of foil fitted and then the Silver Bullet will be his favourite.

Rambler 88 is going like a bat out of hell thanks in part to her new foils and a great design by Juan K. But the only boat I'll support for the Sydney Hobart is Wild Oats XI period(as I have every year she raced since the very first race).

Rambler 88 is going like a bat out of hell thanks in part to her new foils and a great design by Juan K. But the only boat I'll support for the Sydney Hobart is Wild Oats XI period(as I have every year she raced since the very first race).

As predicted Doug. No surprise there. We all await the new Silver Bullet extremely exciting to see what they finish up with?

Logically, however Comanche weighs around 35 tons whereas R88 is probably around 25 so if foils are brought into the equation R88 might punch above its weight in teh right condition. Much easier to get 25 tons up on foils than 35

But in a race like the S2H how long will those "right conditions" last ? Will it be long enough to put the distance needed on the Indian?

Didn't the transat demonstrate the real difference between a 100'er and an 88, I'm not talking corrected time.

BTW Rambler connections are on record as saying DSS cost 2.5% on IRC

Didn't the transat demonstrate the real difference between a 100'er and an 88, I'm not talking corrected time.

BTW Rambler connections are on record as saying DSS cost 2.5% on IRC

31 Miles faster over 24 Hours. Comanche did 618nm and Rambler 587nm.

So will R88 be on time in Sidney or do they need faster transportation ?

46 days from La Spezia to Sydney

Anyone know what kind of rudders they use?

Still those "shark fins" or switched to traditional ones?

Rambler 88 is apparently doing the Round Ireland race next June

Really looking forward R88 hitting the water.

me too. cool twist to the maxi show.

Excited to see her line up with the 100 footers. I posed this question in the S2H thread, but I'll ask again here. What conditions would Rambler need to be quicker than both Comanche and WOXI? Can she compete for line honors on boat speed alone, given a certain weather pattern, or does she need a little luck from a split with the big boys?

Excited to see her line up with the 100 footers. I posed this question in the S2H thread, but I'll ask again here. What conditions would Rambler need to be quicker than both Comanche and WOXI? Can she compete for line honors on boat speed alone, given a certain weather pattern, or does she need a little luck from a split with the big boys?

A little luck and the big boys to split or be too busy covering each other.

From 6 knots up, Comanche will start heeling enough to get its big stern out of the water, then the water line starts to count, then RM. Also I think bigger boats have some advantages especially in a confusing sea state, as the waves tend to affects their forward motion less. Of course, if you are able to ride the same wave all the way to Hobart, this won't be a problem.

From 6 knots up, Comanche will start heeling enough to get its big stern out of the water, then the water line starts to count, then RM. Also I think bigger boats have some advantages especially in a confusing sea state, as the waves tend to affects their forward motion less. Of course, if you are able to ride the same wave all the way to Hobart, this won't be a problem.

+1, R88 will surf before the monsters can.

That would make them 3rd.

Agreed. I don't see them getting to WOXI or the big injun.

Currently on the hard at Woolwich having foils faired. Awesome looking beast.

Pics!

Pics!

IMG 1018[1]

IMG 1019[1]

IMG 1020[1]

Thanks for sharing.

Chop Chop will be around soon to give us a new prediction on the Hobart finish order based on these foils.

I'm trying to figure out how those are going to work. Looking at the shovel they appear to be @ 12'. Kinda stumpy if you ask me.

I'm trying to figure out how those are going to work. Looking at the shovel they appear to be @ 12'. Kinda stumpy if you ask me.

I am trying to figure out why I can't see the .jpg.., Canadian censorship perhaps.

.jpg shows fine here in IOS and OS X, both logged in and not. Shrug.

I am trying to figure out why I can't see the .jpg.., Canadian censorship perhaps.

.jpg shows fine here in IOS and OS X, both logged in and not. Shrug.

Mozilla is the culprit. I can see them on my iPad. Cheers.

Thanks for sharing.

Chop Chop will be around soon to give us a new prediction on the Hobart finish order based on these foils.

Glad to see that R88 was reading my other post :)

The guy employs the same people who builds the same helicopters the U.S. president flies in. Dya think they'd be wrong!?!?

The guy employs the same people who builds the same helicopters the U.S. president flies in. Dya think they'd be wrong!?!?

I think you will find he retired pre Rambler 100.

Here's the 90, entered in the Caribbean 600 -

La Bête Reichel/Pugh 90 Kathryn Thomson

Your point?

Your point?

That he no longer works for UTC who make the helicopters

Retired? I getting tired when I hear the word.

How is my friend Tornado Cat thinking of the subject?

Bella Mente is a possible winner as well.

But they prefer to stay in warmer waters.

http://bellamenteracing.com/regatta-calendar/

Yes retired from working.

Any boat is a potential winner but they have to enter first you fuck wit!

Your point?

Where did I say he was employing them through UT? If you have a cutting edge boat and a few hundred engineers in your Rolodex do you really think you won't be calling them for their input?

Your point?

Where did I say he was employing them through UT? If you have a cutting edge boat and a few hundred engineers in your Rolodex do you really think you won't be calling them for their input?

Ok point taken.

@ Umpire, it's still about overall winning design. Who decides?
Juan K, VPLP, Arthouse? Dubois? Andre Hoek? I can name a few leading engineers.
Question: in the constructor/engineering championship of the Sydney Hobart.

Who do think is going to win?

Engineering is a very complicated process.

I have been there. You didn't.

Did I make myself clear?

No offence, I like your drive, but sometimes not your attitude.

You say the same to me I guess.

You can't compare it.

But since you are a General Manager of some team.

I'll try to respect you.

But only if you do to.

Do we have a deal?

Please don't encourage the village idiot

Please don't encourage the village idiot

Flattery,

I know you were something big in VOR. but 16 thousand + posts?

Are you allright my friend?

I was not critiquing the engineering. I was admitting I don't understand it and fishing for an explanation, lol.

Assuming you have to have a few feet inside the hull for support, that does not leave a lot in the water when it's fully deployed, from the looks of it. Then again, if the plan is just to incrementally reduced wetted surface maybe not a lot is required. The design is certainly a departure from what the Mono60's came out with and it will be interesting to see the final product and how it performs.

I was not critiquing the engineering. I was admitting I don't understand it and fishing for an explanation, lol.

Assuming you have to have a few feet inside the hull for support, that does not leave a lot in the water when it's fully deployed, from the looks of it. Then again, if the plan is just to incrementally reduced wetted surface maybe not a lot is required. The design is certainly a departure from what the Mono60's came out with and it will be interesting to see the final product and how it performs.

Keep in mind that the IMOCA 60's are only allowed to have 5 appendages (2 rudders, 1 keel, 2 boards). Rambler, WOXI, et al have no such limitation. The IMOCA's needed their foils to also help with leeway control, whereas R88 has daggerboards for that.

MS

Congrads to the guys on Rambler-did a tremendous job! Shes damn fast......

Congrads to the guys on Rambler-did a tremendous job! Shes damn fast......

I like the whale/shark look of her.

Kind of art.

post-17796-0-59653500-1450973739_thumb.jpg

And she is predicted third after WOXI and Comanche.

(Still hate the Artemis accident but in the S2H I don't have to begin about that)

Don't let it happen again. trilions are watching, is my humble opinion.

My eyes aren't as good as they used to be. Is that the whole crew up on the foredeck in the photo above? Getting the transom out?

My eyes aren't as good as they used to be. Is that the whole crew up on the foredeck in the photo above? Getting the transom out?

It takes a lot of bodies to move sails on a boat that size.

I think I read somewhere that the reason for the 88' is that is the longest you can go before the hull structure has to conform to a higher structural standard, therefore adding significant weight. Maybe seahorse?

Limited by size of the shed it was built in.

Bullshit. On their budget if they wanted bigger they would have found another shed.

The boat is 88 feet long because they picked a maximum draft to work with, and then built an optimum boat for the righting moment that gave them.

You're the expert RMB & it might have started with draft & got to 80' something feet. But im 99% sure it topped out at 88' due to size of shed & equipment.

Scarecrow it was never going to be a supermaxi so it wasn't going to built elsewhere, he said he didn't like Rambler 100 & that it was big, heavy, cumbersome & expensive to run. He said rambler 90 cost $5m a year to run. I count 4 of his boats in the launch pics. He clearly has a base there & trusts the yard.

Just re read the (very interesting) article and rmb is right of course. Lots of insight from JK into the design spiral of these big racing monos and the compromises that are put in place. Article is in last novembers seahorse.

You're the expert RMB & it might have started with draft & got to 80' something feet. But im 99% sure it topped out at 88' due to size of shed & equipment.

You're 99% sure that the guy who talks to the people who run and rig this boat is wrong and you are right?

You're 99% sure that the guy who talks to the people who run and rig this boat is wrong and you are right?

its because the dock at his condo association has a max 90 foot restriction

It contributed, but wasn't a deciding factor. The shed it came to life in is not much longer than 88 feet.

It contributed, but wasn't a deciding factor. The shed it came to life in is not much longer than 88 feet.

I didn't say Ryan was wrong. I'm saying it got stretched to the very limit of the shed equipment.

Only a matter of time before shed length restrictions are built into NOR eligibility rules.