Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MR.CLEAN

New Cubed - First Supermaxi Since Speedboat

Reminds me of a Farr 400. YUCK!

I'm picking up what your putting down there.

RP/100 cert as shown last year, Dick D please take note so we don't have to do this next year?

LOA: 30.48

LWP: 28.38

Beam: 5.19

IRC Disp: 28801 DLR: 35

Weight (empty): 26911

LL: 36.96

LP: 11.09

HHW: 5.64

LL 36.96

HSA: 207.99

PY: 0.00

EY: 0.00

LLY: 0.00

LPY: 0.00

SPA: 733.50 max:

STL: 16.23

kg

Multiple headsails permitted

MHW: 9.42 5.08

So it was on the back of a truck?

Either that, or she really is a VPLP flyer! :)

I was in the truck going over the bridge, pulling our LIghtning from the weekend regatta. The Manche was down along the wharf where the cruise ships tie up. I really wasn't expecting to see her down so quickly.

I thought it was strange to put her on a truck to get on a ship. Surely it's easier (and far more common) to lift her straight from the water alongside the ship.

The Comanche is something like 26 feet wide, you could put it on a truck, but it is far too wide to go down any road.......

"irc weights" are projected and a calculation, not actual

You know - I didn't believe this, so looked up the rule. I was wrong.

Anything over about 81ft can have its weight estimated from its lines and measured freeboard.

More alarmingly, this can be done 'light ship' - with all sails and safety gear on board. 96% of this number is then used for the IRC 'empty weight'. (ie: approx 1 tonne of gear on a 25t vessel).

Talk about a f'in loophole that can only be exploited by the big guys!

Another fun one is that for the S2H boats have to carry an anchor that weighs some multiple of the waterline.. except that the 100 footers get an exception because launching an anchor that large would be 'unseamanlike' or something. This was the case in 2007 when I was helping a boat get ready for the hobart.

GybeSet®, on 27 Oct 2014 - 15:23, said:

must be in international safety CAT regs

its not here http://anchor site:rolexsydneyhobart.com/competitors/race-documents/

no wonder they call you dangerous dave fitting out a yacht like that

No, the 'anchor must be of size x' was either an Australian or Hobart specific regulation because this boat had done numerous NH races (Fastnet, RBI, Newport to Bermuda).. they were quite surprised at this and other Aus / Hobart specific regulations that meant they had to buy lots of expensive new toys.

Edit: see the current YA special regulations here, page 36: http://www.yachting.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/141002-2013-16-Special-Regulations-Part-1-Keelboats.pdf

You get to choose whichever is less of the waterline or displacement table, but over 19m it's "as certified by a marine engineer." also, the by displacement table just ends at 'over 27 tons'.

Also, my memory didn't serve me entirely correctly before it was the secondary anchor that we had to upgrade (and then find a place under the floorboards for it).

Saw an interesting comment on the CNN Article about Comanche

"The Clarks intend to own the boat and break a number of records before selling it in two years."

GybeSet®, on 27 Oct 2014 - 15:23, said:

must be in international safety CAT regs

its not here http://anchor site:rolexsydneyhobart.com/competitors/race-documents/

no wonder they call you dangerous dave fitting out a yacht like that

No, the 'anchor must be of size x' was either an Australian or Hobart specific regulation because this boat had done numerous NH races (Fastnet, RBI, Newport to Bermuda).. they were quite surprised at this and other Aus / Hobart specific regulations that meant they had to buy lots of expensive new toys.

Edit: see the current YA special regulations here, page 36: http://www.yachting.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/141002-2013-16-Special-Regulations-Part-1-Keelboats.pdf

You get to choose whichever is less of the waterline or displacement table, but over 19m it's "as certified by a marine engineer." also, the by displacement table just ends at 'over 27 tons'.

Also, my memory didn't serve me entirely correctly before it was the secondary anchor that we had to upgrade (and then find a place under the floorboards for it).

.. but there's a huge loophole in that, too. If you use a CQR - must be of that minimum mass; but use a Danforth-type, and only the size is spec'd.

Which is why you see aluminium spade anchors in everyone's race kit -- I think.

Did I read this right.? Comanche cost 100 Million Dollars..?

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/10/27/sport/100m-yacht-comanche-jim-clark/index.html

Great article on how the project came about. He hated golf, loved sailing, and there we go.! I smell a sense of nervousness re the Hobart being their 1st race and rightly so. Ken Read has his hands full.

Mr Clark I can build & design your next supermaxi for $99m special introductory price please PM.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/10/27/sport/100m-yacht-comanche-jim-clark/index.html

Great article on how the project came about. He hated golf, loved sailing, and there we go.! I smell a sense of nervousness re the Hobart being their 1st race and rightly so. Ken Read has his hands full.

Standard fact checking issues at CNN! Divide by about 6. At least sailing is getting good publicity but non sailing writers always find a way to wreck a great story.

Standard fact checking issues at CNN! Divide by about 6. At least sailing is getting good publicity but non sailing writers always find a way to wreck a great story.

Speedboat was alleged to have cost around that much as well. It does seem a bit high, though.

I thought it was strange to put her on a truck to get on a ship. Surely it's easier (and far more common) to lift her straight from the water alongside the ship.

You are indeed as smart as they say

Have to say that if you put all the costs for the entire program together for the stated two years, you could probably get to $100M.

Well, I could, but hookers and blow are expensive. Actually, I've seen Clark's wife. Hookers and blow are probably cheap as chips, comparatively.

"The Clarks intend to own the boat and break a number of records before selling it in two years."

"Trying to sell it in two years" more like.

However they could well have a buyer lined up

Anthony Bell?

Anthony Bell?

I doubt that.

"If you have to ask how much it costs, you can't afford it." J Pierpoint Morgan, supposedly.

Let the man have fun with it, and spend some of his dough. He can't take it with him after all.

The concepts of trickle-down economics are surely not alien to many who bottom-fish here.

Just sayin'

not sure if its the hugh jazz , but that transom wake at 1:10 looks like it is hauling the mail with a small jib . wonder what the boat speed was there, or rough estimate.

CNN issued a correction regarding the value, now there is no figure stated.

Wonder if Comanche will be for sale for as long as Athena and Hanuman have been?

Funny thing about Hanuman, it came about in much the same way as Comanche, wanting to have the fastest J-Class. Hire the crew of Puma, fly them in and out, job done. They won something like 9 straight before Ranger and the old bastards onboard from Lion NZ and Ceramco pulled their socks up. Rumour was that there was a fairly spectacular toy-throw regarding the whole thing.

Ranger have been sporting a deck brush attached to the back of the boat recently, Lionheart were apoplectic about it.

Yes I noticed CNN had changed the article and withdrawn the $100 Million. What was more astounding was they wrote "Why would a man spend 1/14th of his net worth on a racing boat" . Couldn't imagine Jim Clark appreciating that nor could I imagine it to be correct. Sensationalism....Something you'll never see "CLEAN" doing..!

Wonder if Comanche will be for sale for as long as Athena and Hanuman have been?

Funny thing about Hanuman, it came about in much the same way as Comanche, wanting to have the fastest J-Class. Hire the crew of Puma, fly them in and out, job done. They won something like 9 straight before Ranger and the old bastards onboard from Lion NZ and Ceramco pulled their socks up. Rumour was that there was a fairly spectacular toy-throw regarding the whole thing.

Ranger have been sporting a deck brush attached to the back of the boat recently, Lionheart were apoplectic about it.

Hanuman certainly did NOT win "9 straight before Ranger", races or regattas for that matter. A little too much of that whiskey & wine perhaps?

So she's doing the Hobart and he's not. The line will be out the door to be bowman on that boat (would have been anyway).

Jim Clark 70 won't be on the boat. Syd Fischer 87 will be on the boat & will probably have a drive for a bit too!

Jim Clark 70 won't be on the boat. Syd Fischer 87 will be on the boat & will probably have a drive for a bit too!

You can turn that around and say Jim Clark at 70 realizes he is a liability on a racing yacht in that race whereas nobody dares say to Syd Fischer he is. (Both. because of his pedigree and because he is the owner.)

Not that I think Syd shouldn't do as he pleases, just that that doesn't say jack shit about Clark or Fischer (And I am a fan-bot of neither.)

Logic prevails. Both boats will be sailed by the respective skippers like they own the boat anyway. Ricco sails Oats like he owns it and reckon Ken Reid will be no different.

Logic prevails. Both boats will be sailed by the respective skippers like they own the boat anyway. Ricco sails Oats like he owns it and reckon Ken Reid will be no different.

They'd actually both sail faster as hired guns, surely?

Does anyone have list of records they will attempt to break?

Round the world in 80 days...now that would be cool.

Does anyone have list of records they will attempt to break?

Round the world in 80 days...now that would be cool.

Already done. MACIF, IMOCA 60 in 78 days, 2 hours, 16 minutes and 40 seconds.

Check out: http://www.sailspeedrecords.com/records

Given that Macif(A 60 foot canter) did it in 78 days and with no choice in terms of the leaving date for optimum weather, I think Comanche should be able to trim quite a bit off of that. Oh and Macif was singlehanded...

You can turn that around and say Jim Clark at 70 realizes he is a liability on a racing yacht in that race whereas nobody dares say to Syd Fischer he is. (Both. because of his pedigree and because he is the owner.)

Not that I think Syd shouldn't do as he pleases, just that that doesn't say jack shit about Clark or Fischer (And I am a fan-bot of neither.)

You seen Clarks wife????? Sailing V in comfortable bed with her......

"And while Clark may be too old to be on board for some of the more competitive races, his 35-year-old wife seems more than ready, starting on December 26 in Sydney.

'My wife's an Australian and a very competitive lady and she wants to sail in Sydney-Hobart,' said Clark.

'I say "we have the boat, do as you wish." I'll let her run the show.'"

"And while Clark may be too old to be on board for some of the more competitive races, his 35-year-old wife seems more than ready, starting on December 26 in Sydney.

'My wife's an Australian and a very competitive lady and she wants to sail in Sydney-Hobart,' said Clark.

'I say "we have the boat, do as you wish." I'll let her run the show.'"

Yeah I still think Syd should applauded. You see him on TV with his legionnaires hat on at the wheel. Like isn't that everyone's dream? Racing one of your two supermaxi's at 87 years of age.

Syd has been fantastic for the sport and I like Andy Dovell's work so looking forward to see how the new Rags goes. I believe there were plenty of challenges fitting the existing deck to a new hull. The design looks like more of an all rounder than Comanche and Loyal so interesting. Love to see Kristy on Comanche, she may keep the boys on their toes..!

Hanuman certainly did NOT win "9 straight before Ranger", races or regattas for that matter. A little too much of that whiskey & wine perhaps?

it was 7 in a row and 8 of 9 races won after the Puma guys came back. looked at the scoring for the Caribbean and Palma regattas. no toy throw, just started to build this new boat hence the program tapered down.

*Subscribed*

it was 7 in a row and 8 of 9 races won after the Puma guys came back. looked at the scoring for the Caribbean and Palma regattas. no toy throw, just started to build this new boat hence the program tapered down.
Agreed! It was a long time before Ranger won her regatta though......lionheart and Velsheda have shared regatta wins since Hanumans glory run....

I thought Hanuman had one good year. But the irony comes from the actual toy throw - it was, IIRC, from Clark, bitching that there were too many pros in the class a year or two beforehand. Then he bought Kenny and crew and crushed it.

I thought Hanuman had one good year. But the irony comes from the actual toy throw - it was, IIRC, from Clark, bitching that there were too many pros in the class a year or two beforehand. Then he bought Kenny and crew and crushed it.

He wanted it to be predominantly amateur driven and crewed and then quickly realized that people would get killed if there weren't so many pros out there.

To his credit, he challenged the other J- Class owners to match their annual spending a on yacht racing with a donation to a ocean charity. I don't know if anyone took him up on it.

Pics of Clarke's wife please

To his credit, he challenged the other J- Class owners to match their annual spending a on yacht racing with a donation to a ocean charity. I don't know if anyone took him up on it.

No one did. Clark however wrote the check, donating something like 800k to Sail To Prevail/Shake-a-leg and another half mill to some other marine NGO. Dude is pretty fucking awesome, though if he were poor he'd probably be in a state-run asylum.

I remember that from years ago, very funny. Doesn't translate so well without sound..

So, Kristy, what first attracted you to the billionaire Jim Clark?

- So, Jim what attracted you to model and TV star Kristy Hinze?

- Her intellect.

Boxing Day can't come fast enough

CsLuYKO.png

Damn,,,....... that thing looks like the sled to beat all sleds!!!!

I can see the VPLP, IMOCA 60 pedigree there alright.

CsLuYKO.png

You can see that the boat's jumping off a wave and from the wake that the helm has borne off to hold the bow down but no doubt that foil is generating a shedload of lift all the same

CsLuYKO.png

That fat arse doesn't seem to be doing much dragging. That boat is seriously powerful, seriously light and may well be a better allrounder than first thought. Things just got seriously more interesting.

Seriously you blokes, if it's NOT going like a cut cat in those conditions the program is over before its even started. Let's hope they get enough of those conditions to put up a good show. Looks a shit load better sailing than it does tied to the dock.

It would be interesting to know the TWA in that pic.

Seriously you blokes, if it's NOT going like a cut cat in those conditions the program is over before its even started. Let's hope they get enough of those conditions to put up a good show. Looks a shit load better sailing than it does tied to the dock.

+1 :)

Looks a shit load better sailing than it does tied to the dock.

I assume that's what they were going for.

Plenty of boats look shit hot all the time.

Who gives a fuck what it looks like at the dock. It's not trying to win a concours d' elegance.

And even more look like total crap under any angle and in any state. What's your point except trying to win a "Jerk of the Milena Award" which (sadly) doesn't even exist?

For Pete's sake! It's nobody's fault if you've never touched a girl and can't give yourself a blowjob. Now get over it or seek counsel with your local social services. Australia is a very Liberal country. Time to abuse it rather than our patience.

Wow.....just wow!

I think you might have that award covered even if he is trying to win it

And even more look like total crap under any angle and in any state. What's your point except trying to win a "Jerk of the Milena Award" which (sadly) doesn't even exist?

For Pete's sake! It's nobody's fault if you've never touched a girl and can't give yourself a blowjob. Now get over it or seek counsel with your local social services. Australia is a very Liberal country. Time to abuse it rather than our patience.

Awww diddums, did somebody put shit on your all conquering team america shitbox? Get over it you tosser. It looks fucking awesome in those shots, which is great because I for one think it looks like a steaming hot turd stationary or under motor. Call me old fashioned but reverse sheer sends shivers down my spine.

I really do hope they get the conditions they are after and give Wild Oats a bloody good run for their money, we all want to see close racing don't we? Sadly the statistics are not in their favour, Hobarts generally have a decent amount of upwind and running, conditions where WOXI has proven time and again to be VERY strong. Lets hope for the sake of a good spectacle for all they good a good chunk of reaching this year.

I think all the principles of the Comanche program are smart enough not to be under any illusions about the Hobart, they would know for sure that if WOXI gets the conditions they want they will be hard to beat. Clearly Comanche is designed and built for breaking records whilst crossing oceans, so at the and of the day I don't think they will be crying in their Kialoa's at customs house if they get beaten. It's not designed for 600 mile overnighters.

Awww diddums, did somebody put shit on your all conquering team america shitbox?

Ummm, now you guys couldn't even get your shit together for an AC challenge could you?

CoR, what a fark up that turned out to be.

Awww diddums, did somebody put shit on your all conquering team america shitbox?

Ummm, now you guys couldn't even get your shit together for an AC challenge could you?

Don't get me started shit for brains, you fuckwits can't even decide where its going to be held more than a year after the last event. How the hell is anyone expected to fund raise on that basis?

It's alright, we regard Oracle as a default Aussie/Kiwi effort… which it just about is.

It's alright, we regard Oracle as a default Aussie/Kiwi effort… which it just about is.

Good point, the only seppo holding a key position in that program got sacked!

Good point, the only seppo holding a key position in that program got sacked!

And replaced by a pom.

Don't get me started shit for brains, you fuckwits can't even decide where its going to be held more than a year after the last event. How the hell is anyone expected to fund raise on that basis?

come on man , don't call us fuckwits. not nice.