Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MR.CLEAN

New Cubed - First Supermaxi Since Speedboat

you are a fucking pelican you irish schoolkid laser sailing git

see here a old gen ( now cut up ) 100' supermaxi tagging your oh so hot sailing ship.

Century-old Transatlantic Record broken by two boats Up the Channel, in hot pursuit of Mari-Cha IV, was Maximus, the new sloop of New Zealanders Charles Brown and Bill Buckley, who had passed the four-mile long gate off the Lizard at 19:18:37 UTC yesterday (1 June), making it to the Needles finish line at 00:35:08 UTC this morning (2 June).

and nah, no guesses where a present day supermaxi would have been, EE2 or WO or otherwise

Dealing with this bit by bit..

Irish? Yeah, and lucky to be- sure half of your country is begor.

Schoolkid? College/School whatever

Laser sailing? Once upon a time, now can be found on anything from 109s to Rs400s....

do you sail?

At least two boats on that list have beaten WOXI and never should have. And I never said anything about advanced design or availability of money - all I said is that there are no new maxis there except for Loyal, which was extremely under-resourced last time and was never a successful design anyway - and then they added a couple tons to it...

I don't know why you think Loyal was never successful - the one time it raced (as Maximus) against MC4 it was only 4 hours slower across the atlantic and beat MC4 by 10 hours corrected - not insanely poor performance up against a 142 footer..............

At least two boats on that list have beaten WOXI and never should have. And I never said anything about advanced design or availability of money - all I said is that there are no new maxis there except for Loyal, which was extremely under-resourced last time and was never a successful design anyway - and then they added a couple tons to it...

I don't know why you think Loyal was never successful - the one time it raced (as Maximus) against MC4 it was only 4 hours slower across the atlantic and beat MC4 by 10 hours corrected - not insanely poor performance up against a 142 footer..............

Clean was talking about current Loyal- ex Rambler ex Speedboat...Boat you are talking about (actually deck from it only) is Rags now.

Rambler still holds Transatlantic race and rorc carribean 600 record and also it was leading Fastnet in a year when record was set, but somehow could not finish!? So I would not write of Loyal completely.

Clean's got itch when it comes to Juan K, rightly perhaps.

Clean was talking about current Loyal- ex Rambler ex Speedboat...Boat you are talking about (actually deck from it only) is Rags now.

That may be - but - she did race as Loyal - and did well is the SH as well - one of only 2 boats that have beaten VOXI for line honors in the past decade

Rambler still holds Transatlantic race and rorc carribean 600 record and also it was leading Fastnet in a year when record was set, but somehow could not finish!? Clean's got itch when it comes to Juan K, rightly perhaps.

Wasn't the deck on Rags 100 also changed a little bit from the Maximus setup prior to the current slice and dice?

I'd have to agree with Clean that there has been stuff all spent on newly designed 100 footers in Aus over the last decade..... But I'd also point out that Oracles' program with all the hundreds of millions that were spent on it, realized that the mighty US had little sailor talent.....Therefore..... If Commanche sails with a majority US crew....

Oats

Rags

Loyal

Commanche

Rio

It doesn't matter what has or hasn't been spent the point was Rambler which was tauted as the fastest & most powerful supermaxi ever built as a multi record holder and supposedly the fastest thing around is 0-5 against WOXI. So until Commanche beats her, Aussies lay claim to the fastest 100' supermaxi.

Rags will retire, and for some reason I can't see both oats and Comanche finishing the race, one of them will retire as well

Rags will retire, and for some reason I can't see both oats and Comanche finishing the race, one of them will retire as well

You think the losing yacht will retire?

the changes that affect performance (post Max, prior Rags as 1st Loyal) were keel & rig, this was the 2011 winning setup

of no account now, though the rig may be the same, she'll be running an Oats bulb afaik

WTF? How often has Syd ever retired? It may have happened occasionally over such a long "career", but honestly I can't think of a single once. Any Sydneysiders got info?

And WOXI is the same - never retired that I can think of. In fact, while I don't think Ricko is the smartest sailor who will be on the start line, he knows the boat very, very well. He knows just how hard he can push, how hard he needs to push, and how much he can afford to back off. There's plenty of footage of WOXI under deep reef, but bugger all of her over-canvassed and flogging. He'll back off and let Comanche bash herself to bits - if they are silly enough.

He / they ( oats ) didn't back off last year even with a 30nm lead, sailing 3-4 knots faster & 5-10 degrees deeper. So if they didn't back off then I don't know when they would.

WTF? How often has Syd ever retired? It may have happened occasionally over such a long "career", but honestly I can't think of a single once. Any Sydneysiders got info?

And WOXI is the same - never retired that I can think of. In fact, while I don't think Ricko is the smartest sailor who will be on the start line, he knows the boat very, very well. He knows just how hard he can push, how hard he needs to push, and how much he can afford to back off. There's plenty of footage of WOXI under deep reef, but bugger all of her over-canvassed and flogging. He'll back off and let Comanche bash herself to bits - if they are silly enough.

I think Comanche could bash herself to bits in a breeze but oats might break trying to keep up/keep hold of a lead. They know oats very well but it's not often that they find themselves behind another bigger boat with a lot of wind, might be pressure that they're not used to. I also think loyal will be more competitive this time out, not sure if it's quick enough to be at the top but she might not embarrass herself as much this time. probably just as worthless as everyone else's predictions but here's my line honours order (minus dnf's):

Comanche

Oats

Loyal

Rags

Rio

Blackjack

Giacomo

Handicap will go to either ichi ban or a Cookson 50

looks like the Comanche cargo ship ( spirit of Melbourne ) has left Aukland and should be arriving in Sydney saturday.

By the time they unload and set her up they're looking at 3 weeks until the start of Hobart - enough time ??? :unsure:

Pretty safe bet they will be seriously under prepared but I'm sure they knew this when it was still in the shed. Good on em for having a crack at it anyway.

In this race, it all comes down to when the weather forecasts start become real. Three weeks out? One week out?

Pretty safe bet they will be seriously under prepared but I'm sure they knew this when it was still in the shed. Good on em for having a crack at it anyway.

Good driver though. Bet the jockey or the horse?

Wot boat has the most sheep-shaggers on it? That's the one I'm putting my money on, don't care if it is 100 foot or 10.

Wot boat has the most sheep-shaggers on it? That's the one I'm putting my money on, don't care if it is 100 foot or 10.

Comanche crew, 9 USA, 6 NZL, 3 AUS plus 3 others.

Most notable names being Read, Honey, Harrap and Fleury.

looks like the Comanche cargo ship ( spirit of Melbourne ) has left Aukland and should be arriving in Sydney saturday.

By the time they unload and set her up they're looking at 3 weeks until the start of Hobart - enough time ??? :unsure:

Anyone know where Spirit of Melbourne will be docking to drop off Comanche in Sydney? I understand they're setting up camp with the Oatleys and WOXI at Woolwich... which should mean pretty easy access for those anarchists keen on a sticky beak.

Time to organise a Sydney anarchist welcoming party?

Surely between those of us on the ground we can get some decent numbers as they (and the other maxis) go out training... there's got to be a few with access to appropriate vessels to serve as observation / chase boats?

All the maxi's will be dialing up through early december and with the Extreme 40's in town there's a decent argument to submit some mid-week leave and hit the water with some camera gear and a knot meter.

Who's in?

Cargo ship carrying Comanche left Aukland and heading for Syd - ETA Saturday

Anyone care to take a punt at Line Honours Betting Odds: Here's mine to get the ball rolling

1. Wild Oats - $1.45

2. Comanche - $1.80

3. Loyal - $2.25

4. Ragamuffin - $2.50

5. Rio $3.50

6. Giacomo/Black Jack etc $5.00

Anyone care to take a punt at Line Honours Betting Odds: Here's mine to get the ball rolling

1. Wild Oats - $1.45

2. Comanche - $1.80

3. Loyal - $2.25

4. Ragamuffin - $2.50

5. Rio $3.50

OATS $1.30

COMMANCHE $1.90

LOYAL $2.50

RAGS $3

Ok, so looks like the Spirit of Melbourne is passing Cape Reinga at 15 knots on a line for Sydney with 1000nm to run which would suggest early morning Saturday arrival. Guess we'll just keep an eye on the ship tracker to schedule the exact time into Sydney.

Assuming they'll drop it over the side into the water at Port Botany and then motor it up the coast and into the Harbour. It's about a 20nm trip from Port Botany to Woolwich Dock, with about 12nm of that being open ocean between Botany Bay and Sydney Harbour. With a Nor'Easter forecast to build on Saturday to 20 knots an early morning commute to Woolwich would make the most sense for all involved.

So who's in for either option A, a Saturday AM on water welcoming party or option B, some midweek chase boat work when they head out for a tune up.

JL92S said ".........Handicap will go to either ichi ban or a Cookson 50"

If conditions are mixed and not too heavy "Alive"(RP66) has got the personnel to give handicap a real shake.

1. Wild Oats - $1.45

2. Comanche - $1.80

3. Loyal - $2.25

4. Ragamuffin - $2.50

5. Rio $3.50

OATS $1.30

COMMANCHE $1.90

LOYAL $2.50

RAGS $3

Spelled Comanche. Not being a dick just informing you.

13 days until the Solas Big Boat Challange. Finally we'll get a glimpse of comparative performance and a chance for the Sailing Anarchy rhetoric to ramp up to the next gear. It's getting to an exciting time of year.

Cheers

Mojo

if "iffs and buts" were candy and nuts

Comanche is in Sydney now... Only a few more weeks till hats are eaten, rum is shipped and someone invents an excuse

Do you Aussies really think we care if Comanche gets taken out by WOXI? Horses for courses.

Stick to details on new gear and and crew lists, whatever. Thanks to Clean for all his effort.

Aussie Punters.

13 days until the Solas Big Boat Challenge.

I'm looking forward to lining up on the start line with them all.

I reckon all the big boat owners (from 50ft up) will be thrilled to be here, on their new/modified/same-old boats and having a cool day on the harbour for a good cause.

The result won't mean anything in the context of the Hobart.

Here's a question for the pundits.

If skinny and slim are so ideal then why did syd just drop a boatload of money to make a skinny boat fat?

So which ones are the sheep-shaggers again? B)

If skinny and slim are so ideal then why did syd just drop a boatload of money to make a skinny boat fat?

Left Hook, Dovell's brief via Syd was the new hull must fit the existing deck and other hardware. I'm not sure on what Andy Dovell would have designed had it been a clean new design brief? Also the new boat is not fat compared to Comanche and Loyal but is beamier than Oats. Perhaps a just quite right scenario, LOL. Let's wait and see however given the brief one must expect some compromises. Also Syd managed to buy Wild Oat's old fin and keel, a turning factor in making a project a green light.

sign of old age

if "iffs and buts" were candy and nuts

Comanche is in Sydney now... Only a few more weeks till hats are eaten, rum is shipped and someone invents an excuse

:rolleyes::P:D

Because he didn't want to pay the RP fee :-)

1. Wild Oats - $1.45

2. Comanche - $1.80

3. Loyal - $2.25

4. Ragamuffin - $2.50

5. Rio $3.50

OATS $1.30

COMMANCHE $1.90

LOYAL $2.50

RAGS $3

Spelled Comanche. Not being a dick just informing you.

10 4

Go Commmmmmmmmmmmmmancheeeeeee...........................................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So which ones are the sheep-shaggers again? B)

Wher did you find the crew list?

Stan Honey is on Comanche? GAME OVA!

Yeah, just like last year when he was on Loyal.

Interesting write-up in the new Seahorse. 9 tonnes on the jib sheets. Wow.

Well at least everything in the "triangle of death" is new. Lets just hope it's specd correctly.

Yeah just like 2011 when he was on Loyal :P

Yeah just like 2011 when he was on Loyal :P

3 minute difference.

Bloody Derwent River

Forget about Honey, isn't Mr Coxon WOXI's Kryptonite? Aboard Alfa & Loyal when they won.

Cocko very good, no arguments there, but I think there is very few people in this sport that have the respect of their peers that Stan Honey has.

Cocko very good, no arguments there, but I think there is very few people in this sport that have the respect of their peers that Stan Honey has.

That's just because he can see the yellow lines on the water that tell him when he's at the lay line! :D

Yeah that was a joke mate.

Forums would be a much less confusing place if there was some sort of sarcasm italics or something like that.

Forums would be a much less confusing place if there was some sort of sarcasm italics or something like that.

Not really. Us smarter folk figure it out on our own...

Yeah but remember Abbo is not the sharpest knife in the draw by any means.

Yeah but remember Abbos not the sharpest knife in the draw by any means.

Drawer not draw. Sorry.

Yeah but remember Abbos not the sharpest knife in the draw by any means.

Drawer not draw. Sorry.

Ah yes, well played sir :P

At least I can spell shit for brains.

saw a vid of Comanche the other day. motherfucker! I now have pity for anything that has to race that thing, they will simply be boat speeded to death. even upwind, the wake was nice and flat, and the sheer power...well.

every boat is fast sailing alone...

At least I can spell shit for brains.

Esse Aithch Eye Tee (space) Eff Oar Aah (space) Bee Aah Eh Eye Enn Ess :D :D

Tom Addis

Juan Vila

Peter Isler

Matt Humpheries

Stan Honey is the correct order

^^ Pretty sure everyone on that list would put Stan at the top of it.

Actually I am positive they all would!

well happy to have you think like that.... but......

At least I can spell, shit for brains.

But not great at punctuation.

well happy to have you think like that.... but......

No question, really

saw a vid of Comanche the other day. motherfucker! I now have pity for anything that has to race that thing, they will simply be boat speeded to death. even upwind, the wake was nice and flat, and the sheer power...well.

This One? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2811439/Texas-billionaire-launches-100-million-super-yacht-Comanche-reach-speeds-40mph-hopes-shattering-offshore-racing-records.html

(Vid of the launch)

I saw another one of her first sail. Maiden Voyage.... Super great but I can's find the web-address anymore.

This One? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2811439/Texas-billionaire-launches-100-million-super-yacht-Comanche-reach-speeds-40mph-hopes-shattering-offshore-racing-records.html

(Vid of the launch)

I saw another one of her first sail. Maiden Voyage.... Super great but I can's find the web-address anymore.

Does it not crack anyone else up that they got that Home Depot bucket on the back end?

1414522234856_wps_65_MUST_LINK_IN_COPY_h

(Vid of the launch)

no. go to youtube, search 'maxi comanche'. not many vids, two or three. monstrous, but seems very refined and sorted.

(Vid of the launch)

Does it not crack anyone else up that they got that Home Depot bucket on the back end?

1414522234856_wps_65_MUST_LINK_IN_COPY_h

I guess you mean the life-raft at the stern.

Safety first! But it looks shit I agree.

Yo Clean! What's your pick for the SH COMANCHE, OATS or even LOYAL?

All things being equal & you had to bet your bail money this instant. No ifs, buts or maybes.

All things being equal & you had to bet your bail money this instant. No ifs, buts or maybes.

No Bets until the weather forecast is accurate. Comanche and Ragamuffin so under prepared however Mark Richards says Oats broke the record in their first race and was under prepared also. Rags will be launched in a couple of days, need to see it sailing. Oats will start favorite however if the weather suits and Comanche gets an early lead Stan Honey will make passing lanes rare. If it's light again game over, Oats is untouchable. Loyal have a new gigantic spinnaker to help with their VMG running. Oats has a new and even bigger DSS foil. So many things to consider, going early with the betting would require crystal ball or special luck. Bring it...

I said no ifs, buts or maybes and you just gave me all of them. But the question was for Clean anyway.

I said no ifs, buts or maybes and you just gave me all of them. But the question was for Clean anyway.

LOL. true. Why ask CLEAN, he would never come "Clean" anyway...?

haven't looked at the crew lists yet or talked to any of the locals or Stan. gimme a week or two. are the full crew lists online?

All the top 3 Oats, Comanche and Loyal have 1st rate crews. Loyal will be far better with Coxon onboard this year and they have a super dooper new monster VMG running kite, the biggest kite ever possibly? Oats have a new bow and extended DSS foil with some other tweaks, top notch crew as usual. It's going to be huge. CLEAN are you over for the Hobart? Wanna ride on a brand new Lagoon 620 to do the start and watch?

haven't looked at the crew lists yet or talked to any of the locals or Stan. gimme a week or two. are the full crew lists online?

Live sail die website had Comanche crew list a while back it was mostly a puma crew with Kimo joining on the sailing team and as we would expect a well seasoned crew .no Kirby if I remember. Correctly

All the top 3 Oats, Comanche and Loyal have 1st rate crews. Loyal will be far better with Coxon onboard this year and they have a super dooper new monster VMG running kite, the biggest kite ever possibly? Oats have a new bow and extended DSS foil with some other tweaks, top notch crew as usual. It's going to be huge. CLEAN are you over for the Hobart? Wanna ride on a brand new Lagoon 620 to do the start and watch?

Sounds like a nice steady camera platform!

hope they learn how to hang onto that monster kite - remember last years big boat series.........

post-54587-0-58079900-1417161643_thumb.jpg

Undoubtably, say what you want about the Lagoon 620.... but its a pretty comfy thing!!

I'm biased though being an agent I guess.

Terra... there would have to be bigger kites made then that right? cant be the "biggest ever"