Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MR.CLEAN

New Cubed - First Supermaxi Since Speedboat

Comanche has come out to play finally - looks like all the big boats will be out on the harbour today - LOYAL, OATS, COM and hopefully RAGS

bugger all wind around and nothing decent forecast until monday unfortunately

Loyal and Comanche are both showing on the Marine Traffic AIS tracker

That white bridge deck cabin they've fitted will be nice and comfy for the crew on the way to Hobart! ;) .

Gotta keep the spray off the spit roast somehow.

Rags splashing now....

10275957_791538787556554_144849945094557

She's at the heads heading SE at 14 knots

Got a visual now from Dover heights. Wind is two fifths of nothing out there. Certainly not more than 8 knots judging by the progress of other boats offshore.

You can see Loyal and the Bird Island race fleet drifting North as well. Great day to be fishing until a bit of wind builds

Keep the photos coming. Suspect the Facebook pages will have photos by days end for Rags and Com.

Why did Comanche doing 12knots then do a right angle left turn, slow to 5.4k then now heading towards the harbour at only 9k?

Why did Comanche doing 12knots then do a right angle left turn, slow to 5.4k then now heading towards the harbour at only 9k?

Ricko's sitting off north head with a remote control sunfish

I heard one of the grinders ponytails got sucked into pumps and scalped him. Must be the Comanche spirit rising. He's ok, they reckon he'll be right for BBC and the Hoedown, Billy Ray Cyrus' hairdresser is boarding Jim's private Jet at LAX as we speak.

Wind has been from the NNE through the morning and pretty light.

When they were doing double digits they were deep reaching downwind as in the shot above. The ninety degrees to port would have brought them up toward on the wind... maybe slowing to muck about dropping the furled runner, or adjusting a jib lead

Tack over onto starboard and sail upwind back towards the heads... now passing North Head and toward Manly.

Loyal is currently 10nm up the track from them if they flop over onto Port off North Head... they could be going to buzz the tower with the Bird Island Fleet.

wd4axa17x8bq3pb7g.jpg

shit!

she looks the business doesn't she - considering there was F all wind around

looks like it's about to take off in a couple of those pic's

shit!

she looks the business doesn't she - considering there was F all wind around

looks like it's about to take off in a couple of those pic's

It looks reasonably light in those photos and she is powered up, reckon she will be one of the first boats to go to a reef.

http://www.news.sail-world.com/Comanche_s_First_Aussie_Hit_Out__Images_by_Crosbie_Lorimer/129654

Observed breeze at the time was 5-10 knots

That looks spot on per the images as well. Unless there was some wind shear? I I think she carries a lot of sail area and you can see that in the photos. Looking forward to all the photos that come in by days end.

Meanwhile Loyal's just rounded Bird Island and is heading for Sydney at 16 knots...

since commanche was following their path , were their speeds anywhere similar in the same conditions ?

Meanwhile Loyal's just rounded Bird Island and is heading for Sydney at 16 knots...

since commanche was following their path , were their speeds anywhere similar in the same conditions ?

Loyal had serious speed up on the run into Bird Island and out again - but no idea how breezy it was. Norah Head observations were around the 10kt range at the time.

Was close to Comanche a couple of times this afternoon in the Harbour. Sailed past us near Bradley's heading downwind with a Code 0 or similar up. Then past us sailing upwind on port tack off Chowder. Then we heard a big bang, the boat went upright, tacked around 180 degrees and dropped the jib, main over sheeted, boat moving very slowly. Certainly looks like a beast - never going to win any fashion parades though....

I still don't understand why so many wrinkles above the boom in every photo and every time I was close to her - like not enough halyard - or not enough cunningham! They're the experts, but it does look unusual compared with the other 100 footers. I wonder why?

Comanche is impressive but it did look a little stuck today... Perhaps they had buckets tied to the keel

Was close to Comanche a couple of times this afternoon in the Harbour. Sailed past us near Bradley's heading downwind with a Code 0 or similar up. Then past us sailing upwind on port tack off Chowder. Then we heard a big bang, the boat went upright, tacked around 180 degrees and dropped the jib, main over sheeted, boat moving very slowly. Certainly looks like a beast - never going to win any fashion parades though....

I still don't understand why so many wrinkles above the boom in every photo and every time I was close to her - like not enough halyard - or not enough cunningham! They're the experts, but it does look unusual compared with the other 100 footers. I wonder why?

Someone got measurement wrong?

Would be great if all the tweedledees and tweedledums took their marginally offbeat chat to a new thread, if only because there's so bloody well so much of it.

Saw the mention of Comanche back in the water, no mention of the fact the mast is now in.

I totally agree . Here in france ,we are interested by the comments on the race ,the boats ,design and technical issues ,and not by Abbo's childish attitude and braggadocio.

Please Abbo go to a new thread ,play with your little friends , and leave the adults discuss . Don't cry baby ,within some years ,you can enjoy sailing on real boats and not in your dreams...

Would be great if all the tweedledees and tweedledums took their marginally offbeat chat to a new thread, if only because there's so bloody well so much of it.

Saw the mention of Comanche back in the water, no mention of the fact the mast is now in.

I totally agree . Here in france ,we are interested by the comments on the race ,the boats ,design and technical issues ,and not by Abbo's childish attitude and braggadocio.

Please Abbo go to a new thread ,play with your little friends , and leave the adults discuss . Don't cry baby ,within some years ,you can enjoy sailing on real boats and not in your dreams...

Camille, Please do not insult everyone on SA.! Love or Hate Abbo you have no clue, which pretty much sums up your 39 Poofts..! If your are going to critic someone get off the fence and have a substantial opinion. Let's get back to some pics of Comanche and Ragamuffin 100, that;s what this is about..!

deplorable measurement

main is 1/2 mtr too long in the luff, it was at full hoist

reckon she needed to be here a fortnight earlier

I would have a really hard time believing that the main was too long in the hoist.

Whoever measured the boat is from one of the world's top sailmakers, and would be entrusting with measuring for possibly their most lucrative contract of the year.

When you add in the fact that they've probably spent a few months R&D on these sails already before making them, it gets even harder to believe.

Just my 2c.

get your eyes checked foggy,

then why does it not fit tween the halyard sheave and the gooseneck you pelican

deplorable measurement

Sure. Not only do the guys at NS not know how to measure but they didn't even realize it when they did the initial trials in the US and didn't bother correcting their mistake while the boat was shipped to Oz :rolleyes:

then why is the luff greater than the distance between the boom and masthead ?

in your haste to appear smart online you are ignoring simple factual realities

some things do not need technology and your NS heroes, for example this may be fixed with centuries old tech, scissors

deplorable measurement

Sure. Not only do the guys at NS not know how to measure but they didn't even realize it when they did the initial trials in the US and didn't bother correcting their mistake while the boat was shipped to Oz :rolleyes:

Then why DOES it look like shit? Point's fourth photo shows full hoist, and enormous wrinkles above the gooseneck. Speedwrinkles are one thing, those are a whole level up

Camille, Please do not insult everyone on SA.! Love or Hate Abbo you have no clue, which pretty much sums up your 39 Poofts..! If your are going to critic someone get off the fence and have a substantial opinion. Let's get back to some pics of Comanche and Ragamuffin 100, that;s what this is about..!

Dear Terrafirma ,thanks for your opinion . Normally ,i'm interested by these threads ,but i'm fed up with these stupid guys like Abbo ,polluting the debate with teenager's attitude .

39 posts ,you say ,it's not sufficient to be considered ? Well ,i hate to say that ,but i'm a former Vendee Globe competitor (two times , with a reasonable result ) . No need to speak to much on the net.

As you say ,go back to technical exchanges . And don't forget :Abbo started to insult everyone .

cammille

have you considered abbo is playing the part of the devils advocate ? albeit colourfully ?

especially considering that the boats that the internet punters are backing, are each year proven inadequate compared to the incumbent

Dear Terrafirma ,thanks for your opinion . Normally ,i'm interested by these threads ,but i'm fed up with these stupid guys like Abbo ,polluting the debate with teenager's attitude .

Just put him on ignore. Makes life much nicer.

39 posts ,you say ,it's not sufficient to be considered ? Well ,i hate to say that ,but i'm a former Vendee Globe competitor (two times , with a reasonable result ) . No need to speak to much on the net.

Serious chops. Very Teddy Roosevelt. Speak softly & carry a big stick.

Well done Camille, just as the thread was back on topic and building some nice momentum, you take it off topic and complain about me taking it off topic.

2 vendee's hey? Who's bragging now? Did you make it through the first night or did you drop the rig or smash into a tanker or break in half and sink like half the fleet normally does in the first week?

Iced Tea. People still fuck up from time to time, no matter how good they are. Look at poor Wouter. One of the best naviguessers going and he had a massive fubar. Shit just happens sometimes.

Does anyone here think that main looks fine? I sure don't.

The entertainment value of this thread is priceless, although I will need a new keyboard.

I would have a really hard time believing that the main was too long in the hoist.

Whoever measured the boat is from one of the world's top sailmakers, and would be entrusting with measuring for possibly their most lucrative contract of the year.

When you add in the fact that they've probably spent a few months R&D on these sails already before making them, it gets even harder to believe.

Just my 2c.

I think you will find these jobs are more for love and branding than money as they absorb a crazy amount of man hours and take up the whole loft. I bet the lucrative jobs are one design orders of dozens of the same sails at once. It certainly worked this way in my life.

Just my 2c.

I think you will find these jobs are more for love and branding than money as they absorb a crazy amount of man hours and take up the whole loft. I bet the lucrative jobs are one design orders of dozens of the same sails at once. It certainly worked this way in my life.

Not as though they can go anywhere else.

Really didn't want to get into this but it's so hard when you are all going on with it.

Some if not most of those mainsails are at over 100% luff length.

There's a myriad of reasons for this which the experts here would all refute so I'm not going drag in needless to say, pretty good chance that the main is as per design.

Any sail designer North/Quantum/Doyle or other has their own ideas with good reasons

Those photos of Comanche's sail plan are impressive. Only place you could add more sail would be something like an old time top gallant.

From The Daily Mail......

And while Clark may be too old to be on board for some of the more competitive races, his 35-year-old wife seems more than ready, starting on December 26 in Sydney.

'My wife's an Australian and a very competitive lady and she wants to sail in Sydney-Hobart,' said Clark.

'I say "we have the boat, do as you wish." I'll let her run the show.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz3LB4Cj7zO
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Wonder what Syd will make of that??

Been out today, a bit offshore and now belting around the harbour. Perhaps checking out the big boat course? Looks to be doing about 12 upwind in a 10 knot breeze

83 meter motor boat ( Secret ) heading towards Sydney tonight.. Friggn massive !!

Is this the Comanche tender boat ?

Check out today's '18 footers tv' coverage, they followed Comanche for quite a while before the start of the 18's race. Look from 5.30-11.55min' and 30.50-31.50min's.

Just happened to be going west under the bridge this morning as that BBW was coming out. They hoisted the main off Walsh Bay with difficulty, Seemed to be a jam quarter way up. 2 crew up the mast for a good while & after a full hoist. Sorry my phone only talks so no pix. Could be track or car problem. I circled and followed them out but peeled off at Kirribilli They went offshore but came in around 2 pm and did a couple of laps of the big boat course. Very impressive roller gybing down wind. They would of been dockside when the 2nd storm hit. Not the 18 footers, who all came out in big rig. 30 + by south head and half the fleet turtled. Add a pilot boat at the same time with an Oiler 500 m behind and it was carnage at the junction bell. Too much to type

Just happened to be going west under the bridge this morning as that BBW was coming out. They hoisted the main off Walsh Bay with difficulty, Seemed to be a jam quarter way up. 2 crew up the mast for a good while & after a full hoist. Sorry my phone only talks so no pix. Could be track or car problem. I circled and followed them out but peeled off at Kirribilli They went offshore but came in around 2 pm and did a couple of laps of the big boat course. Very impressive roller gybing down wind. They would of been dockside when the 2nd storm hit. Not the 18 footers, who all came out in big rig. 30 + by south head and half the fleet turtled. Add a pilot boat at the same time with an Oiler 500 m behind and it was carnage at the junction bell. Too much to type

yeah Algedi, visibility was well under 30mtrs & stinging rain blinding, that was a laarrge CRUISE SHIP behind the Pilot at the fairway marker, as one skiff was capsized and the pilot was bouncing him out of the way of the ship the the lead distance ( to the P&O) the reducing dramatically, as the Pilot then went on to physically shepherd the last eighteen out of the way the cloud totally burst to minimum visiblity, that 3rd skiff was lost and could been in the path, end of the day all scattered in the vicinity but in one piece

yeah all boats on 1st rig

How in the beep did they get her in Sydney.

Sail, super jumbo, the transgalactic hitchhiker, teleport?

I worry about her losing from the mighty Wild Oats with her dns.

post-17796-0-57367400-1417952163_thumb.jpg

post-17796-0-39949100-1417952339_thumb.jpg

1:1 are my bets.

is 1:1 a bet ? ?

Those are the chances.

If I place 1 dolar on either team I get 1 dollar back.

So strictly that is not a bet.

Its a figure of speech.

post-17796-0-75492700-1417954157_thumb.jpg

post-17796-0-54633600-1417954213.jpg

post-17796-0-65129100-1417954231_thumb.jpg

Those are the chances.

Its a figure of speech.

attachicon.gif140112-all-bets-are-off.jpg

attachicon.gifimages.jpg

attachicon.gifrouletta board.jpg

You may lose 2 dollars if Rag 100, Loyal etc ... win :)

So strictly speaking, it is a bet since there are more than these two boats involved.

Those are the chances.

Its a figure of speech.

attachicon.gifimages.jpg

So strictly speaking, it is a bet since there are more than these two boats involved.

Wanna bet? If line honours someone else wins than Comanche or Wild Oats,

Will you eat your hat in front of the webcam ? :)

Those are the chances.

Its a figure of speech.

attachicon.gifimages.jpg

If I had to bet I would put a little on Loyal simply because from my perspective the odds are much better. (if i lose no big deal, if i win it will be very satisfying)

And no, I would not bet eating my hat if neither W or C win, nor would i bet eating my hat if one of them win. :)

BTW: have you checked if putting one dollar on both boats doesn't guaranty you an overall loss?

Only place you could add more sail would be something like an old time top gallant.

You make me scratch my head in bewilderment sometimes.

Well done Camille, just as the thread was back on topic and building some nice momentum, you take it off topic and complain about me taking it off topic.

2 vendee's hey? Who's bragging now? Did you make it through the first night or did you drop the rig or smash into a tanker or break in half and sink like half the fleet normally does in the first week?

Please accept my apologies .We are bothering everybody ,and i'm sincerely sorry to behave like a bad ass . We both love sailing ,that's the main point . Just let me add something : not everybody during the Vendee breaks the first night…but ,tell me ,why you Aussies are not interested by solo racing ? I'll be in Sydney next year ,and i hope you'll accept a beer with me . I bet on Comanche ,because i just bought a VPLP design Class 40 .

Camille we all share a passion for sailing. You, me and the other hundreds of people on SA. Beer anytime. And why wouldn't you bet on Comanche, I may do the same when we finally see the odds. Good luck and remember nothing is personal, this is all about the freedom to have an opinion. The way you express it is where most of us get it wrong.! Go Comanche and Go Rags..........

Camille, now that we are properly introduced, anyone's opinion is always appreciated here, that the beauty of this place, but you need to be prepared to back it up with some sound logic and or proof. Some times it gets a little tedious when Nimrods insult each other just because they disagree, whilst others take great delight in misquoting and taking others phrases out of context to suit their own arguments. That shit is deadset boring. Would love to catch up for a beer if your down under, my shout. I'll be in Les Arc next Easter if that is anywhere near you.

I have no clue why there is little interest in solo sailing down under, I guess you could include new Zealand and the USA in that. I've found the high retirement rates of the last 5 to 10 years a little disappointing. There are some unbelievable stories of human achievement that come out of those races. Like dame Ellen changing out a broken 4m centre board with the one from the other side in 30 knots and huge seas, or that bloke that anchored off Argentina or where ever he was and built an oven onboard so he could get the resin to cure on his mast repairs. I love that type of shit, that's what gets my interest.

any news on the port board? It was missing in the 18 footer video

A mate was onboard today, I'll ask him tomorrow. I'll get him to ask why the main is so fucking long in the luff, although I bet he will wimp out on that one.

Only place you could add more sail would be something like an old time top gallant.

Yes. My posts are a riddle, wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma.

Seriously, all I was trying to say is that it looks like they have maximized the sail area to such a degree that the only place left to add cloth would be to fly something off the top - or a kite.

Seriously, all I was trying to say is that it looks like they have maximized the sail area to such a degree that the only place left to add cloth would be to fly something off the top - or a kite.

Until they bust out the genoa that sheets back to the winches ^_^

Forgot to mention, Jim's 3 master sighted in Double Pay.

that was local boat 'Southern Cloud' not Jim's 'Athena'

but ,tell me ,why you Aussies are not interested by solo racing ? I'll be in Sydney next year ,and i hope you'll accept a beer with me . I bet on Comanche ,because i just bought a VPLP design Class 40 .

That one's a mystery to many of us. There's some small and persistent groups of solo sailors around the place, but it never seems to get further than that. Lack of commercial sponsorship is probably a large part of it.

Those are the chances.

Its a figure of speech.

attachicon.gifimages.jpg

If I had to bet I would put a little on Loyal simply because from my perspective the odds are much better. (if i lose no big deal, if i win it will be very satisfying)

And no, I would not bet eating my hat if neither W or C win, nor would i bet eating my hat if one of them win. :)

BTW: have you checked if putting one dollar on both boats doesn't guaranty you an overall loss?

Actual odds are up

Really didn't want to get into this but it's so hard when you are all going on with it.

There's a myriad of reasons for this which the experts here would all refute so I'm not going drag in needless to say, pretty good chance that the main is as per design.

Any sail designer North/Quantum/Doyle or other has their own ideas with good reasons

Ok, I'm going to ask this because I'm genuinely interested- why would one want a mainsail above 100% luff length?

I'd love to know. I'm sure it's there for a reason.

I'll apologise for Abbo and GS, they'll call you stupid

Ok, I'm going to ask this because I'm genuinely interested- why would one want a mainsail above 100% luff length?

I'd love to know. I'm sure it's there for a reason.

I'll apologise for Abbo and GS, they'll call you stupid

I just can't bring my self to jump on the GS/Abbo bandwagon. It just looks like a main with a bit of cunningham to me.

but ,tell me ,why you Aussies are not interested by solo racing ? I'll be in Sydney next year ,and i hope you'll accept a beer with me . I bet on Comanche ,because i just bought a VPLP design Class 40 .

That one's a mystery to many of us. There's some small and persistent groups of solo sailors around the place, but it never seems to get further than that. Lack of commercial sponsorship is probably a large part of it.

Yep. Speaking with a little experience as a former SSAA Director I'd characterise it this way:

• Long standing suspicion of the sailing establishment by Short Handed sailors, for example only relatively recently adopting ISAF safety standards (and some still dissent). IMHO, due to a combination of the "go it alone" short handed culture - seen as "cowboy" by some, and very limited support from said establishment as a result.
  • Long standing suspicion of short handed sailing from a myopic sailing establishment - main race organisers (e.g. CYCA, MHYC, RPAYC in Sydney, other similar status clubs in other states) have long prohibited short handed entries in the major races. This is slowly changing, thankfully, and some far sighted clubs are now buying into Short Handing - for example RPAYC and MHYC in Sydney in recent years. The CYCA is still long way from embracing Short Handing AFAIK
  • There is a bit of a nexus between short handing and multihulls - and similar cultural and other obstacles exist between the major clubs and the multi fraternity. Thankfully also changing in recent times as MHYC and other clubs are starting to support multis.
  • Without participation in these races, Short Handers have had very limited opportunities to compete outside major trans-oceanic races like Melbourne-Osaka. A huge shame as ever expanding budgets and difficulty in organising crews has limited interest in offshore sailing in recent years, Short Handing could have been a great antidote to declining participation - especially amongst Corinthians.
  • Without establishment support the resources available to run dedicated short handed events have been very limited and participation limited to Corinthians with limited budgets. Zero professional campaigns.
  • Overall, media, public and commercial interest in yachting in Australia is low, and getting lower as the populations in the major cities grow away from the coast and diversify through multicultural immigration from societies with no nautical tradition. Following Wild Oats and the Maxi fleet at Sydney Hobart time is about the limit of public and media interest. No public interest at all in "little guy" sailing outside things like Jess Watson circumnavigations etc. Zero corporate interest outside owners pushing their own brands.

understood. but you do realize that a t'gallant was a square sail and not a 'square-top' sail, right?

If there was Cunningham on there would only be one big crease right at the bottom. There is two and sometimes three big creases at the slugs.

Might get shot down for this theory but could it be because when the boat is sailing full upwind and the main sheeted on harder it pulls the sail down, but when the boat is on a reach the mainsail can be bigger, it's a compromise, full upwind the mainsail is less effective but on a reach it can benefit from half a meter of extra length? My theory could be complete horse shit but I there's nothing else I can think of

No public interest at all in "little guy" sailing outside things like Jess Watson circumnavigations etc. Zero corporate interest outside owners pushing their own brands.

You can generally trace the success of shorthanded "adventure" sailing to a few big characters and a few memorable circumstances, combined with some longevity. Had Ellen kept it up, the UK would have a more prominent solo scene. Had Mike Plant stayed alive, the US East Coast could be like Brittany right now.

The French dominance can be traced directly back to Moitessier and Tabarly. They infected their entire generations.

No public interest at all in "little guy" sailing outside things like Jess Watson circumnavigations etc. Zero corporate interest outside owners pushing their own brands.

You can generally trace the success of shorthanded "adventure" sailing to a few big characters and a few memorable circumstances, combined with some longevity. Had Ellen kept it up, the UK would have a more prominent solo scene. Had Mike Plant stayed alive, the US East Coast could be like Brittany right now.

The French dominance can be traced directly back to Moitessier and Tabarly. They infected their entire generations

>

The French dominance can be traced directly back to Moitessier and Tabarly. They infected their entire generations.

Yep - good point. We have had big solo sailors here - David Adams, Kay Cottee, Jess Watson and others but their exploits never kick started anything sadly.