Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MR.CLEAN

New Cubed - First Supermaxi Since Speedboat

Apologies for the quality of the image, but this was taken on a covertly operated iphone by a mate of mine in hangar 3 at Richmond air base.

He heard someone muttering that "If this doesn't get Wild Oats on the front page of Sailing Anarchy then nothing will."

post-38-0-35282900-1419168247_thumb.jpg

Whoo hoooo! BIG day this Friday.

Looks like a bit of a lottery early on day 2.

I thought you weren't allowed to mention that day of the week without accoutrements.

Looking forward to seeing the actual sailing. But the designs are fascinating. Can't imagine trying to figure out all the variables with WOXIs foils!

Looks to me like the drawing of Loyale would make the canting keel hit the daggers!

Perpetual%2BLoyalL2014.jpeg

I thought you weren't allowed to mention that day of the week without accoutrements.

You mean like loose luff downwind sails, Mom? Abbo has assured us they'll all be aboard, Thursday. Can't wait.

Ah....I get it. You meant Christmas Cake, right? :)

Looks like a bit of a lottery early on day 2.

Not what the boys on Comanche want to hear, I'm sure.

I'm thinking this would be more to their liking:

post-76289-0-86470300-1419216379_thumb.jpg

Mod 70's orma 60's and extreme 40's are all extremely expensive, extremely delicate grand prix machines and whilst also being extremely awesome and cool there are about as irrelevant and out of reach to the average multi sailor as a formula one car is to you average weekend warrior at your local race track.

You can pick up a late 90's ORMA for about what it costs to get a late 90's shitter F-1 car, or around 300k Euro.

Sure - But they will cost you an easy 1000 BU to run for a season of semi-active racing.

and as someone above wrote- someone who unlike you has run multihulls to 72 feet-the antipodes ormas are spending nothing like that

and as someone above wrote- someone who unlike you has run multihulls to 72 feet-the antipodes ormas are spending nothing like that

The kiwis at least must be spending a few dollars, how many times has the mast been down now?

Dropped it 3 times IIRC? I think they repaired it once so maybe only on their third rig? Did they get a couple of rigs like Langmen did?

& both owners have modified & improved their boats.

That comment is more wrong than you think

On the contrary, I think the WOXI boys breathed a big sigh of relief when they saw the forecast.

I think the weather forecast is quite good for Comanche, there is a chance they could get some West to North West 20-25 Knots down the Tassie Coast, possible passing lane for the beast. No super light patches that I can see, maybe a few hours somewhere. I think the stage is set for a great race and don't discount Loyal, she might enjoy some of this weather also. Even the early Southerly could be around 25-30 Knots, not sure this weather forecast is all about Oats, let's wait and see.

With all those changes the sea state will be very confused. Not good for fat bottom girls.

I think the weather forecast is quite good for Comanche, there is a chance they could get some West to North West 20-25 Knots down the Tassie Coast, possible passing lane for the beast. No super light patches that I can see, maybe a few hours somewhere. I think the stage is set for a great race and don't discount Loyal, she might enjoy some of this weather also. Even the early Southerly could be around 25-30 Knots, not sure this weather forecast is all about Oats, let's wait and see.

There is an assumption that the raw power of Commanche will be a significant advantage reaching vs the efficiency of WOXI with DSS. I don't think this is necessarily a foregone conclusion and am looking forward to see how it plays out.

On the contrary, I think the WOXI boys breathed a big sigh of relief when they saw the forecast.

WOXI is going to have a massive deficit to overcome after the shift.

That comment is more wrong than you think

I'm sure ryan is shocked and dismayed that some wanker from the midwest who sailed around at the back of a sportboat fleet disagrees with him about ORMAs

It's been a long time since you fit on an ORMA

Clean, I am completely intrigued. Exactly which part of the race do you see Comanche have a huge lead?

There is an assumption that the raw power of Commanche will be a significant advantage reaching vs the efficiency of WOXI with DSS. I don't think this is necessarily a foregone conclusion and am looking forward to see how it plays out.

+1

Clean, I am completely intrigued. Exactly which part of the race do you see Comanche have a huge lead?

I wouldn't discount Rags, 4 tonnes lighter than WO, if goes light watch out. As Syd commented a little while ago, 'I'm old what do I know?'.

Massive day tomorrow............

Ditto, Commanche got schooled by oats in the big boat challenge on every point of sail......

just pay close attention and you'll see why the rest of the design world has been trying to catch up with VPLP/Verdier for the past 6 years.

then again, I predicted ETNZ would beat Oracle.

just pay close attention and you'll see why the rest of the design world has been trying to catch up with VPLP/Verdier for the past 6 years.

don't worry, no time limit in this race :-)

Funny, during the SOLAS challenge I watched a brand new VPLP design try and catch up to a 10 year old RP design.

There is little doubt that VPLP have proven themselves in long distance short handed disciplines in multis and monos. Yet to set the world on fire in the IRC offshore and grand Prix scene. Given Clarke's design brief I can't blame him for giving VPLP the nod. There is obviously some pretty clever chaps in that office.

Exciting, innit! i'm a little regretful that we did our big Hobart coverage last year instead of this one

Looking forward to seeing the actual sailing. But the designs are fascinating. Can't imagine trying to figure out all the variables with WOXIs foils!

Looks to me like the drawing of Loyale would make the canting keel hit the daggers!

Perpetual%2BLoyalL2014.jpeg

Ummmm not the drawing I'm looking at??

Got to remember the Comanche boys actually grind there rag on not just push a button so will be slower through manoeuvres than Oats around a short course . Let's see what happens when the runway opens up

Got to remember the Comanche boys actually grind there rag on not just push a button so will be slower through manoeuvres than Oats around a short course . Let's see what happens when the runway opens up

At the very least, having a herd of grinders in the crew pretty much guarentees they could kick some WOXI ass in a bar fight!

At the very least, having a herd of grinders in the crew pretty much guarentees they could kick some WOXI ass in a bar fight!

Good point, in a bar fight always stand behind at least one grinder!!

They're gonna roll WOXI like a motherfucker

Let's be nice. The important thing is that those Nancy boy button pushers tried really hard!

Let's be nice. The important thing is that those Nancy boy button pushers tried really hard!

The physical therapy wing in Hobart is readying to treat all of their blisters.

The physical therapy wing in Hobart is readying to treat all of their blisters.

Let's not forget carpal tunnel syndrome. That shit sucks.

"Wooooo, look at that thing go!"

No real wave action yet so the question remains if that will slow her , but definitely impressive to date.

My new theory is that Commanche is running the very latest top secret gear from Harken. Winches fueled by Abbo tears!

My new theory is that Commanche is running the very latest top secret gear from Harken. Winches fueled by Abbo tears!

And a new sail shape designed to run on the deflating spirit of the WOXI fanboys!

Let's see how she does in the light. Hopefully she stays in touch with the Swiss Army knife and blasts off in the reaching conditions!

And a new sail shape designed to run on the deflating spirit of the WOXI fanboys!

Don't rule out the impact of their keel bulb. I heard it's filled with about half lead, and half crushed hope.

indian climbing up over woxi line staying offshore both one reef rags and loyal inshore rags 1reef loyal full main rio middle line maybe 2nd reef?

giacomo and black jack dragging off behind the indian some solid gust s but now steadied after a burst, flurry of gusts

Don't rule out the impact of their keel bulb. I heard it's filled with about half lead, and half crushed hope.

Gold .....

As predicted, Rags leading down the coast while wots and commando fight each other to the east... just wait and see what happens when the winds lighten up boys !

No sign of any height issues I thought they might have upwind in moderate to heavy, very impressive. Looks like we have a boat race! AWESOME!

Kenny nailed Ricko at the start so he has his revenge for the SOLAS CHALLENGE. Ricko's mic feed was hilarious, "look at that thing go, hey boys something is wrong we are going like a dog" Classic.

100% my new desktop background.

0IA5Zsv.jpg

What is with the rectangular area with no reflection on the bottom?

Shadow of the transom on the water reflected in the hull

The sun is straight up in the sky there right now. Whereas ours barely gets above the trees ugh

Exactly, you see the water reflected everywhere in the hull but that rectangle...

Looks unnatural..

"Wooooo, look at that thing go!"

Too early to say I told ya so?

About heavy upwind performance, well, they seem to be extending so probably not, no.

Exactly, you see the water reflected everywhere in the hull but that rectangle...

Looks unnatural..

Probably because the boat is a floating geometry class textbook

Does anyone know where they got that Keef image for the chute? I came up empty for a source after .0000023 ms of trying.

That's t

he type of smack talk that bites you on the arse very hard... Like s Chesapeake bay PitBull that dislikes to your smell.

While I'm thinking about it- why is it that there is endless poo flinging over team use of "Redskins" and whatnot, and Mr. Bajillionaire Clark takes a whole tribal name and puts it on his carbon dildo with a kind of fucked up image to go with it to represent said tribe, and nobody says shit.

Is there a licensing deal in place, or is he from there or something?

(not saying the boat ain't cool mind you)

While I'm thinking about it- why is it that there is endless poo flinging over team use of "Redskins" and whatnot, and Mr. Bajillionaire Clark takes a whole tribal name and puts it on his carbon dildo with a kind of fucked up image to go with it to represent said tribe, and nobody says shit.

Is there a licensing deal in place, or is he from there or something?

(not saying the boat ain't cool mind you)

It's perfect-

All is good for 2 years, then the treaty gets ripped up, the Comanche are moved to another location... Then eventually the Comanche will be beaten and as such, will end up on a reservation with other warriors...

Its all piss talk until someone starts pissing vinegar....I think we have a few contenders.

Oh shit , doing a back read I don't have nearly enough testosterone to throw about in here. Saving mine for sex in the Jacuzi later on.

No sign of any height issues I thought they might have upwind in moderate to heavy, very impressive. Looks like we have a boat race! AWESOME!

Kenny nailed Ricko at the start so he has his revenge for the SOLAS CHALLENGE. Ricko's mic feed was hilarious, "look at that thing go, hey boys something is wrong we are going like a dog" Classic.

Told you so sunshine. Long way to go...

Horse shit jc. You never offered up one single balanced point of view. All you did was pile shit and abuse on my and other people's opinions so fuck off you troll.

This boat is sensational

Where you expecting any less? Built 6 years after the last supermaxi with no expense spared.

Let's see how sensational she looks at dusk tomorrow.

Funny, during the SOLAS challenge I watched a brand new VPLP design try and catch up to a 10 year old RP design.

There is little doubt that VPLP have proven themselves in long distance short handed disciplines in multis and monos. Yet to set the world on fire in the IRC offshore and grand Prix scene. Given Clarke's design brief I can't blame him for giving VPLP the nod. There is obviously some pretty clever chaps in that office.

Comanche is a VERDIER / VPLP.

Explanation : GUILLAUME VERDIER drew the hull and the appendages. VPLP managed/coordinated the project, did the CFD work and the deck design.

There is obviously a more detailed designation of tasks but that's it simplified for you.

Please stop leaving Guillaume Verdier out of this when naming the designers, the guy's a freaking genius and you're driving me crazy by ignoring him!

I stand corrected, no offence Gilly old mate!

First chance I've had to sit down and watch that video. Love the commentary, .................... FUCK.....................................

Gold. Very bow up attitude on a tight angle. Makes the Volvo 70s look like they got it totally wrong.

The missus is Not racing.

This boat is sensational

Where you expecting any less? Built 6 years after the last supermaxi with no expense spared.

Absolutely not, though it is great to see her in some breeze. The next 24 hours will be interesting.

First chance I've had to sit down and watch that video. Love the commentary, .................... FUCK.....................................

Gold. Very bow up attitude on a tight angle. Makes the Volvo 70s look like they got it totally wrong.

Yeah I noticed that too. No inclination to dig, just seemed to glide through in the televised coverage

True dat the Indian is fast. Nice to see a race for a change. Also nice to see the start coverage on tv here is total shit again. I don't know why i expected anything different, apparently there are only 4 boats racing

Is it normal that the tracker doesn't show the individual boat tracks? When I hit 'toggle' on my favourite boats I just get a dead straight line.. Shame. Or maybe I'm doing something wrong.

the guy's a freaking genius and you're driving me crazy by ignoring him!

If he's such a genius, why didn't he come with a catchier name for his company? ;)

Oats coming on now - time to get a big cushion for when Keef comes for scalps hard