Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MR.CLEAN

New Cubed - First Supermaxi Since Speedboat

We had a bit of first night fever in Pancake on the jaffa last night, blender was running flat out!

I'm not convinced Comanche is going to be far enough south to make the most of that westerly pressure. They are still surprisingly close, shaping up to be a cracker of a race.

I'm not convinced Comanche is going to be far enough south to make the most of that westerly pressure. They are still surprisingly close, shaping up to be a cracker of a race.

I'll give you that much! The line honors race is actually exciting for a change.

Round about half way through. Oats in the lead - slightly.

How old a boat is WOXI? Wonder if Comanche will be this competitive in ten years time?

Just sayin'.

Lead is 2.1 miles and growing.

Regardless of the result, Comanche will be viewed as a success performance wise. She doesn't have as many weak spots as many, including myself, thought she would have. And Verdier/VPLP have created the widest supermaxi ever and made her perform well on the wind. Looking at her going upwind, there really isn't a huge amount of wetted surface versus Oats in the water.

No interwebs at middle Percy... What'd I miss? What happened to blackjack and giocomo? Did they Park up? Alive is belting them. Said this before, Dave Turton is one of the most underrated navigators around.

Wow, just caught up. Nasty Ridge. So that tennis court seems a little sticky in the light hey? Who would have thought?

Wow, just caught up. Nasty Ridge. So that tennis court seems a little sticky in the light hey? Who would have thought?

Indeed. But she's bloody quick down hill in a gale. Shame, Kenny can't control the weather.

I know it's said every year but I think this is The Last Hoorah for the old girl.

She would have been beat had Comanche more miles under her. I think they would have found a way to tweak the light bumpy stuff so as not to give up so many miles to Oats. I thought Oats would need 50 miles to win but 40 worked out just fine.

Hope the Oats clan build on the success of this boat and create a new skinnier maxi with all kinds of crazy innovative stuff on it.

Great first race for Comanche. Sure to see some impressive finishes in the future.

Their quest for lower aero drag will lead to Ricko shaving his perfectly dyed and styled hair.

What's the record for the most wins by a primadonna?

I know it's said every year but I think this is The Last Hoorah for the old girl.

She would have been beat had Comanche more miles under her. I think they would have found a way to tweak the light bumpy stuff so as not to give up so many miles to Oats. I thought Oats would need 50 miles to win but 40 worked out just fine.

Hope the Oats clan build on the success of this boat and create a new skinnier maxi with all kinds of crazy innovative stuff on it.

Great first race for Comanche. Sure to see some impressive finishes in the future.

If you'd bothered to study the race a little more closely you would reach a different conclusion. Oats was never more than 3 miles behind. Comanche was over 40. The main reason she took a large chunk of those miles back was because she was in much stronger breeze with a better angle while WOXI was making her final approach to Tasman Island. If Comanche had the same breeze that oats had on the Tassie Coast she would have been beaten by 30 or 40 miles, not 12. Comanche's weaknesses run much deeper than her advantages, as this race result has proven beyond any doubt. She will never a great weapon for coastal races.

She needs consistent reaching conditions to really impress, which only happen once or twice in a lifetime in the Hobart race. I have absolutely no doubt she will CRUSH records when gets her conditions for a big chunk of the course, the way her bow lifted and just fucking took off on that tight reach out of the harbour was breathtaking.

Their quest for lower aero drag will lead to Ricko shaving his perfectly dyed and styled hair.

What's the record for most obnoxious posts by a sailing wanna be preppie grad student asshole?

What's the record for most obnoxious posts by a sailing wanna be preppie grad student asshole?

Well said sir.

+1

he's likely never been in the same hemisphere as "Ricko". Or on the same planet, if we're talking about experience and record.

I'm still in the process of setting it.

By the way, it's hilarious that you count "grad student" as a negative.

Well said sir.

Agreed.

If you'd bothered to study the race a little more closely you would reach a different conclusion. Oats was never more than 3 miles behind. Comanche was over 40. The main reason she took a large chunk of those miles back was because she was in much stronger breeze with a better angle while WOXI was making her final approach to Tasman Island. If Comanche had the same breeze that oats had on the Tassie Coast she would have been beaten by 30 or 40 miles, not 12. Comanche's weaknesses run much deeper than her advantages, as this race result has proven beyond any doubt. She will never a great weapon for coastal races.

She needs consistent reaching conditions to really impress, which only happen once or twice in a lifetime in the Hobart race. I have absolutely no doubt she will CRUSH records when gets her conditions for a big chunk of the course, the way her bow lifted and just fucking took off on that tight reach out of the harbour was breathtaking.

Well said, sir.

So LH, is abbos bounty on its way yet?

Sssshhhh, he's busy mentoring a newbie about 'walking the dock'

Or at least that's what Wes calls it.😀

For some people grad school is ok because they are already productive responsible members of society.

For people like you grad school is just a place to hide out while you think of a way that degree and your endless bullshit will get you some diplomatic position with the State department. Hopefully your dream comes true and it turns into a nightmare when you get posted to Somalia.

I don't see where we differ. The light air was expected and Comanche wallowing in the light air was expected. I think the most surprising part was that Comanche was not able to extend its lead in the first third of the race before it went light. What happened there? WOXI executed perfectly, shadowing every move then pounced, extended just enough to hold off the charge in the end.

WOXI won fair and square and is the boat to beat on any course (as few courses blow like snot on the beam 90% of the race).

But ... Comanche is a new born babe. Too, too many areas for improvement from crew, trim, ballast and design tweeks etc. The concept is old but it is state-of-the-art in its production and materials and it has shown great potential. Does anyone really not think they will be able to eek out at least another 5% increase in performance in the coming years? Maybe 10%?

For some people grad school is ok because they are already productive responsible members of society.

For people like you grad school is just a place to hide out while you think of a way that degree and your endless bullshit will get you some diplomatic position with the State department. Hopefully your dream comes true and it turns into a nightmare when you get posted to Somalia.

Whatever helps you sleep at night. I'm sure the reason you're tossing personal insults on the Internet is because you're living a much more fruitful, fulfilling and mature life than I ever could.

Whatever helps you sleep at night. I'm sure the reason you're tossing personal insults on the Internet is because you're living a much more fruitful, fulfilling and mature life than I ever could.

Actually no. It's because you are a pariah and need to take up a different sport, or at least leave this one.

Actually no. It's because you are a pariah and need to take up a different sport, or at least leave this one.

I'm going to go ahead and file your advice under "trash talking by anonymous assholes." You insist on sitting behind a nameless profile taking potshots at people you've never met so therefore I will continue to value your opinion as less than the cost of the electrons I used to bring it onto my screen. Wanna "teach" someone how to man up and act maturely - start by doing so yourself.

Kind of like WOXI being super narrow compared to smaller boats, and with multiple foils right? The only smaller, ultra narrow, foiling boat that springs to mind is super fast as well, may I call to the stage the moth.

Kind of like WOXI being super narrow compared to smaller boats, and with multiple foils right? The only smaller, ultra narrow, foiling boat that springs to mind is super fast as well, may I call to the stage the moth.

That is one of the absolutely most ridiculous comparisons I have ever seen

He hasn't gotten an address to me yet :(

c/o Percy Isl. Queensland AUS

He hasn't gotten an address to me yet :(
.c/o Percy Isl. Queensland AUS

I think that was Middle Percy Island.

Lovely place to drop anchor and cook breakfast...

Other than that here isn't much there from memory apart from sand flys, lots of sand flys.

Let me quote you:

You insist on sitting behind a nameless profile taking potshots at people you've never met"

Pot, kettle, black.

Idiot.

by the age of 20 ricko was winning on the world match racing tour. Just a little lesson before you start denigrating others personally i think you better understand that it reflects badly and people can plainly see what an ignorant wanna be you are

Let me quote you:

You insist on sitting behind a nameless profile taking potshots at people you've never met"

Pot, kettle, black.

Idiot.

-break

by the age of 20 ricko was winning on the world match racing tour. Just a little lesson before you start denigrating others personally i think you better understand that it reflects badly and people can plainly see what an ignorant wanna be you are

Charisma - Hi my name is Wes and I make jokes about guys who do their hair for tv.There - now my pot shot has a name and you go back into the pile with all of the hypocrites.

Whisper: I'm sure hes just glamour as a yachtie. Doesn't mean I have to worship him or that I cant joke that he constantly looks like the channel 7 makeup team had him in their chair Boxing Day morning. Denigrating is a big word for you. Why don't you change your profile name to "Sesquipedalian"

.... Alive is belting them. Said this before, Dave Turton is one of the most underrated navigators around.

Agree x 100 ..."Alive" probably the standout effort in the entire fleet for punching above its weight......results would have been interesting for them if there had been no park up and compression.

Agree that the surprise to me was Alive but also Giacomo, such a shame those guys lost the rig, before the park up they were holding off blackjack and holding a similar pace to the 100 footers. I've also heard the argument about whether Comanche would be competitive in 10 years time similar to how oats has been, oats is a completely different boat to when it was new, it's had about 2 new bows, 3 rigs, 3 bowsprits, several keel arrangements, countless sail plan changes (originally had pin head main) and several new appendages including rudders so you can't call it the same boat. I feel wild oats has just about reached it's maximum potential for the boat but also all conventional shaped hulls, there's so much more to come from wide hulled boats such as Comanche. The next generation of verdier/vplp imoca's will push the game on again and maybe Comanche will reap the benefits of what's developed, wild oats may benefit from it too but no where near as much as Comanche. Don't think that I'm a hater of wild oats, I think the boats awesome but it will always be a light airs weapon and all rounder and I've got no doubt it will be the perfect transpac boat. I can see Comanche breaking transatlantic records, it stands a good chance of taking line honours in the fastnet race and many more races. In other news I see rags has entered into the Caribbean 600, maximum respect to them for doing that

Let me quote you:

Pot, kettle, black.

Idiot.

-break

Charisma - Hi my name is Wes and I make jokes about guys who do their hair for tv.There - now my pot shot has a name and you go back into the pile with all of the hypocrites.

Hi Les. So you make jokes about guys who do their hair on tv.... now there's some clever schtick. Some high brow humour there mate.

Stick to trimming keels brother.

I'm excited to see Comanche's progress in the coming years. all of it's outings will be under a microscope , and should yield some great entertainment to all those who follow , win or lose, its an awesome piece of machinery .

I'm excited to see Comanche's progress in the coming years. all of it's outings will be under a microscope , and should yield some great entertainment to all those who follow , win or lose, its an awesome piece of machinery .

One thing for certain is that Mr & Mrs Clarke are going to have a lot of fun with this project.

One thing for certain is that Mr & Mrs Clarke are going to have a lot of fun with this project.

Somehow I feel kenny will have more! (Assuming he doesn't break it in half)

Somehow I feel kenny will have more! (Assuming he doesn't break it in half)

Or the front doesn't fall off.

Thanks for the vid heads up USA 190520...don't care what the WOXI dihards think...that is one awesome machine. I'm still pissed off with that %&$@!? ridge...cost me a lot of money when I piled it on Comanche at $3.25

Comanche Sydney to Hobart '14

Hmmm looks like sail stacking at 4:00 onwards. I am sure that was spelt out during the beifing that this type of stacking is against the rules.

Hmmm looks like sail stacking at 4:00 onwards. I am sure that was spelt out during the beifing that this type of stacking is against the rules.

fuckers, need to cheat to try & beat WOxi ?

Well, Morons notwithstanding, I was rooting for Commanche to scalp the hormone crazy wine boat. HOWever, I am majorly impressed that the Oats program has so consistently found more and more gears/upgrades/sails/rigs/shapes/appendages/blades/ etc., to year after year, reset the bar and continue to set the pace.

Bravo!!

Now Kenny and Gang etc., step up the game or you'll have to hit from the Ladies tees.

It's only breaking the rules if they move the sails over during tacks or gybes wild oats probably do the same

I think there was a change made to the sailing instructions a couple of years ago that now allows sail stacking for this race.

No: NOR Q1 - http://static.cyca.com.au/media/2617079/notice-to-competitors-1.pdf

The movement of sails for the purpose of altering trim or stability is clearly an attempt to increase a boat’s performance without a corresponding increase in rating.
Any movement of sails, within the boat, or stacked on deck are in breach of RRS 51. IRC rule 2.5 states: “The spirit of IRC requires that owners and designers shall not seek means of
artificially reducing the rating of a boat, e.g. increasing performance without a corresponding increase in rating.”

It's only breaking the rules if they move the sails over during tacks or gybes wild oats probably do the same

Not according to RRS 51

how's the view from the cheap seats ?

Hey cock breath, do you even understand how sail changes are made during races and how that effectively can allow you to stack sails legally?

Thanks for posting that. I'd seen Clean's tour but that was before the boat was finished. All the more impressive that WOXI pulled out a win.

Hey cock breath, do you even understand how sail changes are made during races and how that effectively can allow you to stack sails legally?

Not on the boats he sails

please enlighten us yankees who he seems to so despise.

http://static.cyca.com.au/media/2617079/notice-to-competitors-1.pdf

Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race 2014
NOTICE TO COMPETITORS NO. 1
The following question has been put to the Jury.
Q: Is the movement of sails within the boat or stacking them on deck permitted under RRS 51
A: No.
The NOR for the Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race 2014 has under Clause 9.3, (Changes to the
Racing Rules of Sailing) amended RRS 51 as follows: A boat with movable ballast or variable ballast
(within the meaning of those terms in the Special Regulations) may move that ballast for the purpose
of changing trim or stability.
This amendment does not include sails.
Boats with movable or variable ballast are rated accordingly and that ballast is also taken into
account when determining a boats stability.
RRS 51 states in part; All movable ballast, including sails that are not set, shall be properly
stowed. Water, dead weight or ballast shall not be moved for the purpose of changing trim or
stability.
The movement of sails for the purpose of altering trim or stability is clearly an attempt to increase a
boat’s performance without a corresponding increase in rating.
Any movement of sails, within the boat, or stacked on deck are in breach of RRS 51.
IRC rule 2.5 states: “The spirit of IRC requires that owners and designers shall not seek means of
artificially reducing the rating of a boat, e.g. increasing performance without a corresponding increase
in rating.”
“Stacking” of sails would therefore be an infringement of IRC Rule 2.5. (IRC Rule 2.5 is not included
in the list of Rules in IRC Rule 11.1. IRC Rule 2.5 can therefore not be amended or deleted by the
NOR or SI’s.)
John Rountree (NZL) Chairman Rolex Sydney Hobart international Jury 2014
Jury members; Tony Mooney (AUS), Noel Allen (AUS), Bevan Woolley (NZL) Lars Nyqvist (FIN)

GS, if you'd done some offshore you'd know that there are ways around that rule.

What that rule really prohibits is the IMOCA style stacking of gear- Bernard Stamm's Juanker was one of the most extreme examples of that.

But WILD OATS (wank wank wank) would never do that

how do you know whether I have or not?

what am I having for dinner tonight?

are you suggesting Cheating is an acceptable part of sport you dumb cunt

Q1. When repeatedly challenged on the subject you avoid it. I imagine most people here are pretty happy to pony up evidence of their sailing.

Q2. What?

Q3. No. But if a rule is there I am all for finding ways of optimising your sailing to the rule. Like the engineering within the rules in other sports like F1 it brings a new element to the sport. A good example of this is in the laser class. As tight as one design as you can get however there are slight tolerances. One of these is in the position of the rivet on the top mast section, it's a tolerance of +/- 5mm. So the stiffness of the mast can be adjusted slightly and the best guys will do this for their weight.

See? There's a rule there, but it's been, fairly, wiggled around.

q3.

what part of 'No' do you not understand ?

that being Stacking? --> No

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

whether I respond to kiddies 'challenges' is entirely my choice

you repeatedly type details of someone you do not know and lives in another hemisphere, guessing by their inaccuracy, so what breakfast cereal are you guessing I'm having tomorrow

am I on facebook? are you trying to eat the same brekky as GybeSet ?

is my navel an inny or an outty ?

fuck off stalker

-

Q: Is the movement of sails within the boat or stacking them on deck permitted under RRS 51
A: No.

you keep flogging that budgie like this is it's gonna be raw and bloody or fall off gobby...

Honestly GS, do you think any boat that has a fore/aft trim sensor has any intention of leaving all of their sails in the foksal? Reminds me of a local Mexico race where one of boats was caught with pictures of stacked sails, and all the other sailors in that class started whistling, avoiding eye contact. The only people who made a fuss of it were keyboarders on the local YC website forum. Sound familiar?

263a402a-cc10-458e-8e28-a5038d2cb970-620

It's quite possible that if Comanche had stacked the sails in the manner these types of boats require, such as IMOCA and V65's etc, the outcome of the race might have been different. I would venture to say that the lack of sail stacking hurt their upwind performance in the lumpy seas and light air.

Interesting that something as extreme as DSS is allowed but something as standard and seen as common practice by most offshore boats is viewed as cheating.

He actually sails??

Interesting that something as extreme as DSS is allowed but something as standard and seen as common practice by most offshore boats is viewed as cheating.

This.

I asked in this thread I think, but no on replied. What the hell is the reason behind not being able to stack? Where did it start and why did it begin?

Let's see the opening chase of the race. Comanche obtained insane speed with insane heel. Unseen. Ken Read said: "That was fucking great!".

He later jokingly played down James Spithill as a grinder.

Maybe Spithill - fresh from the AC Oracle - was was doing the balancing act to the insane zone.

It's quite possible that if Comanche had stacked the sails in the manner these types of boats require, such as IMOCA and V65's etc, the outcome of the race might have been different. I would venture to say that the lack of sail stacking hurt their upwind performance in the lumpy seas and light air.

DSS has a hefty rating penalty.

Happy new year to all of my shit stirring brethren in oz. Much love brothers and please come down to sorrento and say hello if you are anywhere in the area next week!

I have my snipers in place! ☺

This.

I asked in this thread I think, but no on replied. What the hell is the reason behind not being able to stack? Where did it start and why did it begin?

One suspects it is because it is hard to rate usefully. So the age old rule - if you can't measure it, prohibit it. It becomes difficult because the boats are sailing for both class and overall line honours. So it isn't easy to come up with a formula that both allows stacking and maintains the intent. A single sail on deck isn't a "stack", but simply being prepared.

This.

In 1827, it has always been this way, predates port/starboard

where have you been ?

Starts were from anchor, and boats were generally of disparate size and speed. Therefore
measurement and rating were more important than the right of way: after only 12 years of
racing there was already a letter in the Southampton Herald in 1827 complaining that “
oversized sails, shifting ballast, and stripped out insides [are] threatening to diminish the
great interest in sailing.
subsequently in writing in 1828

This.

In 1827, it has always been this way, predates port/starboard

where have you been ?

Starts were from anchor, and boats were generally of disparate size and speed. Therefore
measurement and rating were more important than the right of way: after only 12 years of
racing there was already a letter in the Southampton Herald in 1827 complaining that “
oversized sails, shifting ballast, and stripped out insides [are] threatening to diminish the
subsequently in writing in 1828

No offense, but I don't think a single soul on earth gives a single fuck with regards to anything you say.

I however, appreciate your input. I needed to kill a few more seconds before heading out tonight.

no offense taken

are you serious when you make out that moving ballast was legal/unrated?

Did they kick the Herald's writer off the premises when she wrote about it?