• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Barnyb

Team France

Mer Forte: given how technical IMOCAs / big tris are, most French offshore sailors have an entourage of (little, if at all, paid) young engineers hoping one day to eke out a living ..

But Mich' Desj's emphasis aside, he cuts no ice: plus ça change (from AC34), plus c'est la même chose - and the two entertaining Le Monde pieces can be summarized in the understatement of the week:

Clearly, we are not 100% operational, but we have a healthy vision of the project ..

Edit: it always strikes me how people here (but Cammas too) speak of Airbus as a French entity. Off the top of my head, it's also got German, Spanish shareholders (don't know if the perfidious Brits are still in or not), and any initiative is subject to a tug-of-war on where it should be located and who should head it. So, forget that Airbus does mainly institutional advertising, and never on the AC scale - but do you believe for one moment the Germans would agree to something called Team France?

Are you sure about that?

ALL4ONE Challenge

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
100px-All4one.jpeg
ALL4ONE Challenge
Career Yacht club: Cercle de la Voile de Paris & Kieler Yacht-Club Established: 2001 Nation: France & Germany CEO: Stephane Kandler Skipper: Jochen Schümann Notable sailors: Sebastien Col

John Cutler Sail numbers: FRA-93

ALL4ONE Challenge is a French-German yacht racing team that competes in International America's Cup Class races. The team has formerly competed as K-Challenge and between 2005 and 2007 they were known as Areva Challenge

Also raced a TP52 for quite a while.

Announced for the new issue of Course Au Large, an article on Team France. But what's mentioned is the addition of yet another guy bringing in marketing know-how and strategies ..

whats that twat singing a song got to do with anything ???? lol lol

Michel Desjoyeaux était à Londres le 9 septembre pour la présentation officielle à la presse des six équipes en lice pour la prochaine Coupe de l'America. C'est l'occasion pour celui que l'on surnomme "le professeur" de faire le point sur le projet Team France.

This week, it's Michel Desjoyeaux who delivers his vision of Team France. We take this opportunity to wish him a nice first step on the Volvo Ocean Race.

Announced for the new issue of Course Au Large, an article on Team France. But what's mentioned is the addition of yet another guy bringing in marketing know-how and strategies ..

http://www.courseaularge.com/articles/29145/Comment-Team-France-marche-vers-la-Cup-dans-le-nouveau-Course-Au-Large.html

Yawn .. Looking increasingly like a repetition of AC34 - the only difference being they allegedly paid the entry fee's first instalment

That's just a trailer for the complete article. There's a full version in English in the latest Ocean Racing magazine, which I downloaded from the Apple store. According to their ad, it's also available on GooglePlay these days. There's a lot in there about foils too with an interview with Philippe Presti. Seems that Team France wants this to be a long term project with centres of excellence to develop crews in France.

En montant le projet Team France avec Olivier de Kersauson et Michel Desjoyeaux, nous voulons démontrer que, comme nous l’avons fait sur laVolvo Ocean Race, un équipage tricolore peut gagner la course. Il nous faudra probablement plusieurs éditions pour y parvenir mais nous y arriverons. Nos ingénieurs, nos architectes, nos chantiers, nos gréeurs, nos maîtres voiliers et bien entendu nos marins le méritent. Ils le prouvent encore aujourd’hui, au large des côtes africaines, en route vers Cape Town.

Bon vent à eux et que le meilleur gagne.

In amount the Project Team France with Olivier de Kersauson and Michel Desjoyeaux, we want to demonstrate that, as we have done on the Volvo Ocean Race, a tricolor crew can win the race. It will take us probably several editions to achieve but we will get there. Our engineers, our architects, our projects, our Riggers, our master yachts and of course our sailors deserve. They prove it even today, off the coast of the African coast, enroute to Cape Town.

Good luck to them and that the best wins.

^

It appears the snowblower driver was drunk .. not that it makes much difference, but what a way to go .. sic transit

^

Par for the course in the business, despite recent whitewashing motions - or at least what I saw while building oil & gas plants (MOF, for Total they forgot dealing with Myanmar when they still were outcasts..)

^

Unfortunately, nothing new - zero substance, still at the intentions stage (and as the French say: "l'enfer est pavé de bonnes intentions")

^

While in France all eyes are turned to Saint-Malo, the organizers of the 35 th America's Cup should announce this weekend calendar 2015 America's Cup World Series (ACWS), the preparatory tour ran AC45.

We already know that these small catamarans with rigid wing will be equipped with foils monotypes which should further increase the already impressive performance of these races. We also knew that ACEA, the organizer, asked each challenger to organize an event in his country. The schedule could be announced this weekend:

The first event would be held in June in Italy side Cagliari. The second in Portsmouth, England in July. The third in August in Sweden, probably in Malmo. The fourth could compete in Bermuda in September or October before ending the season in November in Auckland, New Zealand.

The first date to remember is that there is no test or the United States or in France in 2015. Team France would be the only challenger not to organize test in his country. I must say that the trio Cammas / Desjoyeaux / Kersauson logically focuses his energy to meet the operating budget of the French union to seek partners to organize an event on our shores. Especially we estimated 2 million the organization cost ACWS! For only two days of racing on Saturday and Sunday. Be four to six races in total!

The next few weeks promise in any case crucial for the French team must not only solve the second million dollars of tuition fees, but also secure the faster the total budget not to get too far behind the other challengers who are working tirelessly since the announcement of the new class in June

Humm, déjà vu...

"next weeks will be crucial not only to pay the entry fees..etc..."

"Les prochaines semaines s’annoncent en tout cas cruciales pour l’équipe française qui doit non seulement régler le second million de dollars des droits d’inscription, mais aussi sécuriser au plus vite le budget total"

Humm, déjà vu...

"next weeks will be crucial not only to pay the entry fees..etc..."

"Les prochaines semaines s’annoncent en tout cas cruciales pour l’équipe française qui doit non seulement régler le second million de dollars des droits d’inscription, mais aussi sécuriser au plus vite le budget total"

Say it ain't so....cleans mon ami told him they were 'fully funded' weeks ago.....

Perhaps..

Strange, TF just posted on their facebook page today: "What does JS think about team france ? watch the video."

The vid is from last september, JS declares they would be among the favorites and most difficult to beat.

What does it mean ?

Perhaps..

Strange, TF just posted on their facebook page today: "What does JS think about team france ? watch the video."

The vid is from last september, JS declares they would be among the favorites and most difficult to beat.

What does it mean ?

cliffhanger scenario perhaps, in a month it's the Paris boat show, timing seems to be good enough to make announcements overthere and get some additional traction ... wishful thinking of course but would be good.

Perhaps..

What does it mean ?

cliffhanger scenario perhaps, in a month it's the Paris boat show, timing seems to be good enough to make announcements overthere and get some additional traction ... wishful thinking of course but would be good.

Good point, I had forgot the Paris boat show was in a month, and that is the time they make all big announcements. Pretty logic.

A pretty strong hint that Groupama will sponsor TF for the AC (from their FB page):

"Le couple Groupama - Cammas perdure en 2015 pour permettre à Franck d'avancer encore un peu plus vers la coupe de l'America.

Pierre Marcel, réalisateur du documentaire "Tabarly" a suivi Franck Cammas ces derniers mois, il nous propose de découvrir le skipper Groupama sous un autre angle pour un portrait original.
Ce film de 7 minutes revient naturellement sur l'aventure du couple Groupama - Cammas, "

"The couple Groupama-Cammas still goes on to help Franck progress even more to the AC

............................This 7 min movie comes back on the adventure of the couple Groupama - Cammas"

Nice video:

http://www.cammas-gr...ire_pour_raison

Je regrette, but "un peu plus" translates into "a little bit more". Again, nothing new, Groupama had said they'd assist Cammas while he looked for funds.

Je regrette, but "un peu plus" translates into "a little bit more". Again, nothing new, Groupama had said they'd assist Cammas while he looked for funds.

^^ correct, I was willing to include the connotation of "encore", meaning that the were already "advanced". For what it means or not....

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x28yar1_nathan-outerridge-et-team-france-9-septembre-2014_sport

On continue le tour des challengers avec aujourd'hui Nathan Outerridge d'Artemis Racing qui nous donne son avis sur Team France.

Continue the tour of the challengers with today Nathan Outerridge of Artemis Racing which gives us his opinion on Team France.

"De même, la caution de 1 million $, est elle aussi reportée du 1er décembre au 1er mai. Ce qui arrange certainement les affaires de plusieurs challengers, dont Team France, toujours à la recherche de son budget de fonctionnement."

Which (deferred second payment) certainly suits several challengers including Team France, still looking for its operating budget ..

Loïc Le Bras / V&V

Cammas was pretty cautious today, a bit like Peyron the last time, however we can still hope for good news at the Paris boat show.

Sounded pretty happy to me about his prospects and suggested he'd be getting (and then announcing) a decision by his main sponsor in the coming days or week.

I see no reason to count him this early. He certainly thinks he's still in, attended the presser for that reason.

Cammas was pretty cautious today, a bit like Peyron the last time, however we can still hope for good news at the Paris boat show.

Sounded pretty happy to me about his prospects and suggested he'd be getting (and then announcing) a decision by his main sponsor in the coming days or week.

I see no reason to count him this early. He certainly thinks he's still in, attended the presser for that reason.

He attended the presser because he had to.

If he had not his slim chances at pulling a financial rabbit out of his hat would be down to none.

^ was just suggesting that if he already had the answer from his sponsor, then he'd already have a No and would not have attended since in that case there'd quite obviously be no reason to.

Was also going by what he said; since he for sure knows better than either of us.

I'm not on board with all the skepticism being expressed about TF, yet. By GD's accounts too, the venue was a key component in pitches to sponsors; and Cammas indicated that same importance too, even going so far as to suggest this venue was good for his pitch.

^ was just suggesting that if he already had the answer from his sponsor, then he'd already have a No and would not have attended since in that case there'd quite obviously be no reason to.

Was also going by what he said; since he for sure knows better than either of us.

True and I never met a sailor I didn't believe.

Especially one looking for cash :)

Corey Friedman, announcing himself as 'from Scuttlebutt' asked the skeptical question about which teams already had 80% of their funding, was even presumptuous enough to demand that the skippers who have done so raise their hands.

JS was smart enough to point out, just as GD always does too, that fundraising is a part of the competition that continues throughout. There just is no "we are done now" at whatever % moment.

I'm not on board with all the skepticism being expressed about TF, yet. By GD's accounts too, the venue was a key component in pitches to sponsors; and Cammas indicated that same importance too, even going so far as to suggest this venue was good for his pitch.

...you are an optimist.

Bermuda for the French may be similar to Ile de Re for an American. I don't really know - but I suspect the tiny British colony in the Atlantic is known solely to French sailors.

I would think BED is null and void in terms of French commercial interests. The only commercial hook now is paint on the sails. Probably true for TNZ as well.

TF needs a patron - a sailing patron.

I hope TF can make the start line. After watching what he did in his 1st shot at the VOR, I would love to see what Frank Cammas could do in the AC. That guy is the shit.

WetHog :ph34r:

I would think BED is null and void in terms of French commercial interests. The only commercial hook now is paint on the sails. Probably true for TNZ as well.

So you think if a Très Important Client got an invitation from a sponsor to watch the AC and play some golf in Bermuda he'd say "non". Whereas he'd have been leaping for joy if it has been in SD. I don't think so.

TNZ....different case.

So you think if a Très Important Client got an invitation from a sponsor to watch the AC and play some golf in Bermuda he'd say "non". Whereas he'd have been leaping for joy if it has been in SD. I don't think so.

TNZ....different case.

SD not really in the equation here. Thinking the true choice was between SF and Bermuda. A 42 million dollar difference.

Correct me if I am wrong, but Ainslie (for example) preferred SF for its access to a significant Anerican market.

But Bermuda surely has great golf...

Well the Paris boat show was opened this weekend - anybody pick up any news? No spectacular announcements?

Anyone?

Anyone?

Well the Paris boat show was opened this weekend - anybody pick up any news? No spectacular announcements?

Anyone?

Anyone?

Nothing new yet, these news generally don't come at the beginning of the show, let's wait for this weekend and...hope.

Gentlemen,

Michel Desjoyeaux quited after leg 1 of the VOR.

Guess he has work to do.

Frank Cammas is in Abu Dhabi I think

http://www.cammas-groupama.com/fr/index.jsp

Olivier de Kerauson is somewhere in France I think.

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olivier_de_Kersauson

But I guess these giants are in this thread. And I know for sure it's not Tornado Cat.

Hoe is het Tornado Cat? Ga je winterzeilen?

Vid about Sir Russel and Denis Conner in Bermuda:

Bermuda is the venue and that is for sure.

Anyone?

Anyone?

Nothing new yet, these news generally don't come at the beginning of the show, let's wait for this weekend and...hope.

[grin] how nice of those guys to hold the news till I'm there [\grin] ... but as it's not the idea to go all loaded with interwebs connection and stuff, you'll see/hear it in les gazettes B)

Rien de rien,silence absolue...plutot penible que premonitoire

Messieurs, Silence absolue c' est trop guerre psychologique.

Je suis tres content avec le nouvelle equip de France pour les coup americain.

Peut etre c'est possible de participe avec le technology de team anglais?

même la technique anglaise va devoir être payée...

et Franck est une trop grande tête pour être engagé par une autre équipe, non-française...

Not wise, Joined effort in technological development makes the bill half as expensive.

et Franck est une trop grande tête pour être engagé par une autre équipe, non-française...

Not wise, Joined effort in technological development makes the bill half as expensive.

Not when the French and British join forces. Ooh,look,there goes Concorde again.

Not when the French and British join forces. Ooh,look,there goes Concorde again.

Besides the only accident that happened with a strip of metal on the take - off, the Concorde was by far the most beautiful airplane ever built. Certainly good design and fast 2 mach flight to the other end of the ocean. Too bad on it's only crash a lot of vip's died :( The 34-rd cup might end like that as well.

the Concorde was by far the most beautiful airplane ever built.

Possibly, so long as you didn't live under the flightpath, but British taxpayers weren't in it for the aesthetics. It was an economic catastrophe.

Do you only fly Boeing ?

Avons-nous oublié Azincourt?

et quoi dire de William le conquéreur, possiblement son sang court dans tes veines, non ?

Il était normande, pas français. Quoi qu'il en soit , nous ne pensons pas que l'éloge de la conquête normande.

Z'êtes trop marrants, les mecs ..

But back in context, Mich' Desj' (who took part in the Mapfre VOR Leg1 debacle) opines meaningfully on Vestas' grounding in Course Au Large. While at V&V, Loïc Le Bras raves about Dongfeng's équipe franco-chinoise ..

Z'êtes trop marrants, les mecs ..

But back in context, Mich' Desj' (who took part in the Mapfre VOR Leg1 debacle) opines meaningfully on Vestas' grounding in Course Au Large. While at V&V, Loïc Le Bras raves about Dongfeng's équipe franco-chinoise ..

and THAT is in context ? zut alors, ou sont passes les Coupes Amerloches d'antan ? :P

always fun to see Brits refer Willy C as non-frog, always a hoot that one

and THAT is in context ? zut alors, ou sont passes les Coupes Amerloches d'antan ? :P

Precisely, cher confrère: the context is nobody in France (not even Team France members) dares to mention the Cup

Precisely, cher confrère: the context is nobody in France (not even Team France members) dares to mention the Cup

Me thinks it's a lost case, again, et merde. Even if they find "le fric" to even get there, they'll probably be another sideshow. Pity, would have been fun to have some f®iendly Pasta-Andoullette-Roastbeef antagonism mixed with yankistani bravado, more kiwi farming vessels, not to forget the mongrel of mongrels, Art-emis

c'est la vie

Not to change topic - but speaking of Artemis: Do you figure they have many Swedish fans?

In terms of the challengers - it seems like most can count on support from the mother country. But I'm just not sure about Artemis.

Sort of feels like an Alinghi - in it to win. But not necessarily for home and country.

I am curious for some European insight.

Me thinks it's a lost case, again, et merde.

c'est la vie

Oh, but Bermudians shouldn't start suspecting they'll be shortchanged: I've got solid info the Russians will join in any day now ..

c'est la vie

Oh, but Bermudians shouldn't start suspecting they'll be shortchanged: I've got solid info the Russians will join in any day now ..
Timchenko is already in. ;)

Not to change topic - but speaking of Artemis: Do you figure they have many Swedish fans?

In terms of the challengers - it seems like most can count on support from the mother country. But I'm just not sure about Artemis.

Sort of feels like an Alinghi - in it to win. But not necessarily for home and country.

I am curious for some European insight.

you'll have to take that to Artemis Anarchy for an answer, but Sweden is a very strong (and nice, mind the rocks !) sailing nation, pretty proud about their flag too,

as for Alinghi : there was probably a lot more Swiss input and support in their challenge than american input and support in the latest couple of american efforts, strange also that you'd say it's

{edit, corretion, it IS ]about winning, grin, how un-american of you, grin.

c'est la vie

I'm rooting for North Korea to enter the game, hell, they even got my former employer to go yellow belly down, a clash between Kim Il Jun and Larry would be just the thing to lift the AC to a next level

Oh, but Bermudians shouldn't start suspecting they'll be shortchanged ..

Is this the reason you're excited about the possibility TF won't make it? Because you want Bermuda to feel shortchanged?

Seems a strange question.

IMHO - we've seen this movie before. Team France I mean.

But Bermuda as venue was probably merely the coup de grace - assuming they are done. But if TNZ drops next, then certainly the venue did the deed.

Oh, but Bermudians shouldn't start suspecting they'll be shortchanged ..

Is this the reason you're excited about the possibility TF won't make it? Because you want Bermuda to feel shortchanged?

don't need to speak for Xlot, for sure he is more than capable of doing that, but haven't seen anybody "excited" about the possibility that Team France might not make it, the only remark in that direction came from me, not from Xlot (and that's why I'm answering), and excitement is not really what's on mind, sorry to let you down on your expectations.

:P as for that movie ...

what do you want, it's a Hollywood movie, you couldn't give a better description, they're made for you and your elk :lol:

I thought it was clear my beef is with ACEA's dishonesty / misrepresentation - and, marginally, with (French today, previously Italian and Aussie) individuals abetting that. Hoping Bermuda officials fully realize who they're dealing with, that's all.

I never really put that together before.

Believe you are saying Cammas making the motions at the behest of ACEA. Boy am I a dope - seems pretty clear now that you mention it.

Let's hope BAR not part of the same troupe.

As for Bermuda - I'm rooting for them. It's them vs. fate. Hopefully sailing wins.

Believe you are saying Cammas making the motions at the behest of ACEA.

Well, do you imagine for one second he or his acolytes actually made that $1M downpayment?

Well, do you imagine for one second he or his acolytes actually made that $1M downpayment?
What if they didn't?

What if they didn't?

It must have been paid because clean told us months ago that TF were 'fully funded'....

The same day spinbot told us that BAR is 'fully funded'....

Hope the rumor of a fully funded Team France didn't drift through during final negotiations with the venue.

That would be a sleazy trick worthy of North Korea.

In the summer I spent a day on the water with a member of the Royal Gothenburg and he didn't see Artemis as very much connected to the club or to Sweden. That's just one anecdote, obviously.

Hope the rumor of a fully funded Team France didn't drift through during final negotiations with the venue.

That would be a sleazy trick worthy of North Korea.

I doubt there were any team-number guarantees.

Also, being as the Qualifier series seems still open to bid then they'd be expecting no more than 4 Challs in AC62's for the final-four RR's in Bermuda.

In the RD announcement for example, they talk about the '6 registered teams' that make up the Competitor's Forum. So TF is voting and shaping the event even though they are, publicly at least, nowhere yet with their campaign. What have they actually done so far to even be in the Forum, apart from attend a few 'AC meet the press - smile events'?

TNZ has even stated they are yet to 'confirm their entry' and then there are the 'much anticipated, extra 2 teams' - (North Korea &?) who are not voting - 'cause they couldn't even be bothered filling out the online form!