Barnyb

Team France

7 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

NYYC has probably the world second best design team...

This and NYYC doesn't join to get their feet wet this cycle in the hopes of competing in the next cycle.  They join to compete now.

WetHog  :ph34r:

17 hours ago, Barnyb said:

French confirm America's Cup intent

"We will do everything to be there, we will work hard," Cammas said on a conference call as his team digested the protocol.

"The Cup remains the Cup, with major technological developments, and I like it. If we have the means, we will go with motivation. We will work hard to get there. "

Cammas admitted they would have preferred to continue in the 50-foot foiling catamaran class but believed they could be competitive in a high-performance monohull, noting he and his Groupama team had won the 2011-12 Volvo Ocean Race, beating Team New Zealand's entry Camper.

"It is a return to a tradition of the Cup. I'm not saying it's good news, we have to adapt. The last time we built a boat (except for Bermuda), it was a monohull, and it was the fastest in the world. The monohull is not unknown to us in France. You do not have to have a complex . "

https://www.stuff.co.nz/nz-newspapers/central-north-island/sport/sport-region-6459/97565376/French-confirm-Americas-Cup-intent-and-New-York-Yacht-Club-look-set-to-return-in-Auckland

I love it...

Not a fan of the gabachos, but I'd love to see them on the CSS

On 10/5/2017 at 8:23 AM, Alinghi4ever said:

I'm not objecting to the NYYC. I just don't think that they will pose any serious threat at least for the time in AC 36...AC 37 should be their goal.

On Cammas: I don't think he has the money for AC 36. Talk is cheap from him.

Cammas is looking for a budget of $25/30 millions,( when people are talking $60M minimum for AC36 ),  even with Olivier de Kersauson and Michel Desjoyeaux in the project, it will be very difficult for them to find this kind of money.

1 hour ago, TackSea said:

Cammas is looking for a budget of $25/30 millions,( when people are talking $60M minimum for AC36 ),  even with Olivier de Kersauson and Michel Desjoyeaux in the project, it will be very difficult for them to find this kind of money.

He said 25M per year. Apparently, that's how the French formulate their budgets

19 hours ago, ezyb said:

NYSC

Shit designers but a pretty good legal team. They'll inevitably win because they will get everyone else's boat reduced to a plank of wood with a broom and old bed sheet attached......

I note that 'Groupama Team France' have changed their name to 'Team France' in order to ensure that their name is consistent with the name of this thread.

• Like 2

Cammas interview, Gtran

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&nv=1&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=http://sport24.lefigaro.fr/voile/coupe-de-l-america/actualites/franck-cammas-au-figaro-la-coupe-repart-d-une-feuille-blanche-et-c-est-excitant-891684&usg=ALkJrhgNbRWikzN5PmtsUrRTxsFR4Q_ekA

To shine in the Cup, it takes time and especially money. Where are you talking budget  ?

To get it right, we need a budget of 80 million euros. That is about 25 million a year over three years and a few months, since the Cup will end in March 2021. It will already be necessary to pay a million of registration next June. On the last campaign, we took what we were given ( 32 M € ). This time, it would take commitment intentions for 70% of the budget by June to get the project off to a good start.You have to have the money in time in order to build a high-performance team and look for the good profiles that are in demand. Some elements of us have already been debauched by our competitors. It means we had good ones. If you have money in the last year, it is useless. You can not even spend them. If we can not register in June, we will not leave.

15 hours ago, ~Stingray~ said:

"Some elements of us have already been debauched by our competitors"

:lol: :lol: "hired away" is of course the correct option

But the 80M€ figure is useful as a low range budget estimate, after so many wild statements

On 1/10/2018 at 3:05 AM, Xlot said:

:lol: :lol: "hired away" is of course the correct option

But the 80M€ figure is useful as a low range budget estimate, after so many wild statements

You sure? Debauchery, of some elements, could be a favorite pastime inside some syndicates :D

Back in the Clean interview (before the JC75 was revealed) he told GD that Cammas was estimating €23M/yr for a clean-slate Design AC. GD rolled that up to €69M and thought it was a reasonable number; and I think he also remarked ‘for a one-boat campaign.’ Cammas has apparently not changed his monthly/annual figures much even now, after seeing the JC75 concept - but he wants to start the spending a lot sooner than last time, and running for longer.

Itonically, ETNZ may have had the next-shortest full-spend period and even less time on location in Bermuda but won anyway.

5 minutes ago, Panoramix said:

Ooopsie : https://www.ouest-france.fr/bretagne/lorient-56100/lorient-incendie-sur-l-ancienne-base-des-sous-marins-le-batiment-groupama-detruit-5813653

The French team base burnt early his morning. :-( The building is completely destroyed according to the Ouest France article.

Has this building been the media center during the last 2 editions of the VOR?

7 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

Has this building been the media center during the last 2 editions of the VOR?

Possibly, it was certainly around the old submarine pens but I am not sure exactly where.

Have you read the article or looked at the pictures?  Obviously the bunker was not on fire, the ugly concrete structure will last a lot longer, unfortunately. The new, light admin, sail loft (?) structure was destroyed. 

7 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

Have you read the article or looked at the pictures?  Obviously the bunker was not on fire, the ugly concrete structure will last a lot longer, unfortunately. The new, light admin, sail loft (?) structure was destroyed. 

I have seen some photos, it seems that the fire did not even touch the bunker, and even if it did, with no effect. Germans build strong things :)

5 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

I have seen some photos, it seems that the fire did not even touch the bunker, and even if it did, with no effect. Germans build strong things :)

It was a fucking world war mate everyone was building strong things - although perhaps the Germans' not strong enough (thankfully).