• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Timo42

But is it really sailing?

It's a cool sport but I don't think it is 'sailing'. I guess it doesn't matter what label you use.

Here on S/A it's a way to get another sponsor to pony up for another forum.

Still it has some attraction

.....this!^^^ :) ....a pretty lovely combination of tech-talk and girly-banter :blink::rolleyes:

..yeh,it's not sailing......if sailing is all about tons of expensive gear plowing through th'water :mellow:

...kiting is just one further step in evolution as materials and technology progress to the point that you can literally fly at will!

...kiting's not for everyone,,but neither was windsurfing,,,,,,,,,,or trains!

...and great that we now must decide where our jump-off point is,in the spectrum of sailing excitement!!

...........if you're gonna say kiting isn't sailing,,,you'll need to justify how -moths- are!!? ;)

I'm okay with kiting not being sailing, but then sailboats then turn into giant kiteboards when flying the spinnaker ... same physics, more hardware.

....and how about a midnight 'ride'....

...I've 'rode th'storm' in a laser at night,,but will admit it was a bit terrifying,

.....but launching into the dark--a whole new level again!! :blink::unsure:

I'm okay with kiting not being sailing, but then sailboats then turn into giant kiteboards when flying the spinnaker ... same physics, more hardware.

..yeh,as far as I see it--kiting's the purest form of our sport!

...and if we're not too stupid with our 'welcome's,,,

.....there might actually be some mixed gender on these boards! :o

You are moving across the water using just the power of the wind so yes I think it is fair to call it sailing.

The course-race boards will also let you sail upwind higher and faster than anything else out there so I would definitely call that sailing.

I dunno, seems to me that sailing involves interacting with forces in both wind and water, whereas kiteboarding involves just the wind with the water simply providing a surface that doesn't hurt as much when you wipeout... edjumikate me if I'm wrong, no experience but wouldn't mind trying it some day.

I dunno, seems to me that sailing involves interacting with forces in both wind and water, whereas kiteboarding involves just the wind with the water simply providing a surface that doesn't hurt as much when you wipeout... edjumikate me if I'm wrong, no experience but wouldn't mind trying it some day.

Kites don't magically go upwind. You need the lateral resistance of the board/fins in the water, analogous to a centerboard or keel, to get anywhere.

look at the Maui Pro ad.... the board is like the foil of Larso's sail rocket and the kite is like his wing. So if kiteboarding isn't using the water, neither was Sail Rocket

Yes, it sure as hell is sailing:

Fuckoff Doug. You don't know what is and isn't sailing in any way. WHEN you get your fat ass out on a dinghy you might have the right to post. But your back isn't the reason you haven't been out. After all Simon has a slipped disk and STILL sails trapeze boats. He just doesn't go to major regattaes until he heals it.

Go back and talk to your lawn gnome designer on "shaping" your hulls.

+1

Sweet video, Doug.

Dont encourage the fucker. Not unless you want your forum polluted with random crap of everything foiling and to be told how foiling kiteboards are the next revolution and arguements about it. this clown needs to be pissed on hard and continually.

Darwin must have had a hangover that day to miss that lot.

Who gives a shit if it's sailing, it looks like a lot of fun. Keep meaning to give it a try but there' a lot of stuff on the 'things I ought to do' list.

It's not real sailing , close to windsurfing but not real sailing . Just a fun toy when it's too windy to surf or wake.

It is Sailing, but it ain't boating ;)

+1

Sweet video, Doug.

Dont encourage the fucker. Not unless you want your forum polluted with random crap of everything foiling and to be told how foiling kiteboards are the next revolution and arguements about it. this clown needs to be pissed on hard and continually.

....umm,,I hate to tell you this,,,but that video is demonstrating the foilingKB's have come a long way in ~3 years,where it was considered a novelty for light winds.....Heineken's demonstrating some moves that make me consider the foilers might just be the go-to board for course racing.

...A unique factor of this application is that the powerplant is as separated from the hull as is possible,allowing the 'pilot' to trim the foil directly,,,no wands and witchcraft.......simple and to the core as only KB's can do!

..such a joke the olympics didn't take this in <_<

...not t'mention your DL obsession is making you look like a complete -fool- :mellow:

100% sailing

...purest form! ;)

I dunno, call me old-fashioned, I like my boats...boatshaped. :)

....laxatives are in isle 7 old man <_<

...I actually agree with you on a personal preference level,I like to have a craft that doesn't require a quiver,,and doesn't leave yer swimming when the wind dies :mellow: .......that said,,it's a great sport t'watch,,fun to have tried it out,,,cheap to get a used quiver,,

,,,and much like flying upwind & down with a chute,,on your daggerboard :blink: pretty -pure- t'me!

See there's the problem, it just ain't natural to call part of a boat a quiver... :huh: And picking up a used quiver cheap. :o

nttawwt B)

And stay off of my lawn

See there's the problem, it just ain't natural to call part of a boat a quiver...

Windsurfers have used that term since the mid-80s, if not before.

Of course it's sailing. Same as windsurfing is sailing. Same as land-yachting is sailing.

See there's the problem, it just ain't natural to call part of a boat a quiver...

Windsurfers have used that term since the mid-80s, if not before.

Of course it's sailing. Same as windsurfing is sailing. Same as land-yachting is sailing.

Next, you are going to call snowboarding skiing... :blink:

See there's the problem, it just ain't natural to call part of a boat a quiver.

So if you have a big boat with a choice of five jibs and three kites, that's not sailing?

That would be an inventory, not a quiver, for one, and if I bought that, I wouldn't be sailing because my wife would have killed me... :ph34r:

Next, you are going to call snowboarding skiing... :blink:

I was sitting next to a couple of snowboarders on a chairlift, one of whom was earnestly describing his board as "playful".

Puppies can be playful. Girlfriends can be playful. Now snowboards can be playful? So is it playful only in the morning, then it needs a little sleep? Only a gold-plated idiot would call an inanimate object "playful".

But then I read ski reviews that described them as "playful" too and my world fell apart.

....geeeez,,take it to semantics-anarchy! <_<

superfluous hyphen anarchy?

(Or is superfluous hyphen anarchy actually superfluous-hyphen-anarchy?)

....more-like,, superfluous-punctuation-anarchy! :P

Nice one SB B)