• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Editor

rs aero

Write up from the second UK nationals. I note that the first nationals attracted 74 entrants, the second only 70. But the second nationals were held the weekend before exams start so the usual youth were not able to attend.

http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/189956/Magic-Marine-RS-Aero-UK-Nationals

Also the 1000th boat has been delivered .

Aeros are going from strength to strength in the UK and I gather in Europe and the US. I guess this means that the aero is here to stay and will form a large world wide class, maybe even a laser replacement /alternative

I guess this means that the aero is here to stay and will form a large world wide class, maybe even a laser replacement /alternative

.....to the chagrin of every other bloke trying to market a singlehander. :mellow:

I'm sure we had the same discussion last year, but that 70 entries is over three seperate Nationals as the classes do not race together. It's like counting standard, Radial and 4.7 nationals as one event.

It's still a good effort, but it is irritatingly disingenuous to suggest 70 or 74 entries. The biggest entry was the Aero 7 with 34.

It's like counting standard, Radial and 4.7 nationals as one event.

...they often do that for laser now too. The #'s are getting rather pathetic otherwise. :mellow:

. I guess this means that the aero is here to stay and will form a large world wide class, maybe even a laser replacement /alternative

Rather early to say that. There have been a number of classes which have started out strong, even achieved ISAF status, and then faded rapidly.

If there was an event for any moderate performance singlehander, so UK-wise that would be PY 1030-1150 then Laser, Solo, Supernova, OK, Byte, Radial, Aero 5/7/9, D Zero, Streaker, Lightning, Europe, Finn etc could all compete.

Done properly it should be possible to get 250+ to an event like that, and they could all race together. Speed difference between fastest and slowest is only about 5 minutes in a 45 minute race and PY scheme should work well for such similar boats.

I can just imagine it as a sort of singlehanded Ronde om Texel.

...they often do that for laser now too. The #'s are getting rather pathetic otherwise. :mellow:

The UK Nats are rarely well attended as they do not form part of the international qualifying circuit IIRC.

The Masters events are usually very well attended but the sailors there attend for different reasons. The masters crowd are a good bunch on the whole.

If there was an event for any moderate performance singlehander, so UK-wise that would be PY 1030-1150 then Laser, Solo, Supernova, OK, Byte, Radial, Aero 5/7/9, D Zero, Streaker, Lightning, Europe, Finn etc could all compete.

Done properly it should be possible to get 250+ to an event like that, and they could all race together. Speed difference between fastest and slowest is only about 5 minutes in a 45 minute race and PY scheme should work well for such similar boats.

I would be up for that.

I would be up for that.

...yes, there's no perfect handicap, but PY would make a lot of sense for all the single-handed classes.

.......and another class for SH's with chutes! :)

The UK Nats are rarely well attended as they do not form part of the international qualifying circuit IIRC.

The Masters events are usually very well attended but the sailors there attend for different reasons. The masters crowd are a good bunch on the whole.

......ah yes, the euro-centric view. You have it good over there,, many more sailors in much smaller geography :mellow:

......ah yes, the euro-centric view. You have it good over there,, many more sailors in much smaller geography :mellow:

Yes, we do have it good in that regard especially on south coast of the UK. Lots of sailors nearby for regattas without too much travel.

However I think I have trailer envy - of the USA 8 boat Mega trailer! We don't build them like that in the UK, I wouldn't need my tent!

936497974(4).jpg

The trailer and 8 Charter RS Aeros have just visited events at Wickford RI and Massapoag (Boston).

Massapoag YC (Boston); http://www.rsaerosailing.org/index.asp?p=results&rid=3248

Wickford YC, RI; http://www.rsaerosailing.org/index.asp?p=results&rid=3247

also last weekend was Stage 2 of the Texas Circuit at Seabrook SC, Houston;

http://www.rsaerosailing.org/index.asp?p=results&rid=3250

for remaining Charters to join the RS Aero Atlantic Coast Champs at Sail Newport Regatta RI, July 8-10, contact Marc Jacobi on usa@rsaerosailing.org

16 Aeros registered for the one day regatta at Massapoag YC (near Boston MA) on June 18.

I'm curious, why then only 10 registered for Wickford 6/11-12 (including myself)?

DWD

Are you driving all the way out to RI or are you flying out and chartering?

I was going to drive and go to all 3 regattas, but the time between MA and Newport was too long to hang around so I decided to use some of my bizillion American miles and fly out for Wickford and Newport (first class even!). Plus the octet trailer RS is bringing for charters/demos made the whole thing a no-brainer. Hint to RS for the future - look at what the Laser Master class does with the 3 regattas in FL over a period of 10 days every February. I drove out for that a few years ago and it was great. A lot of people make the drive each year from all over the country because it's such a great bang-for-the buck with respect to travel.

Very cool, what a great plan. That Wickford event has grown. I did it in a 505 a long time ago.

I got out on an RS Aero on Sunday on the Jordanelle. Great boat but not enough wind unfortunately.

DWD,

You're an animal! Going back out to RI for the Newport Regatta I see. Now that's dedication.

I only wish now I would have drove out. Looks like I missed a great day of racing at Maasapoag last weekend. Hoping for a good turnout and breeze at Sail Newport.

You should grab one of the 8 charter boats from RS and come up to the gorge for several days of racing 8/12-14. Downwind race followed by 2 days of buoy racing. Charters are only $50/day. I'm also planning to leave the weekend before and go through Sacramento for the Dinghy Delta Ditch.

I only wish now I would have drove out. Looks like I missed a great day of racing at Maasapoag last weekend. Hoping for a good turnout and breeze at Sail Newport.

You should grab one of the 8 charter boats from RS and come up to the gorge for several days of racing 8/12-14. Downwind race followed by 2 days of buoy racing. Charters are only $50/day. I'm also planning to leave the weekend before and go through Sacramento for the Dinghy Delta Ditch.

Bummer about missing the good races at Massapoag.

Sail Newport usually has enough breeze. Unfortunately I'll be back East myself during the gorge event...bad timing! Otherwise I would have jumped on that chance, what a great price for demos.

WCB and DWD - you certainly missed a great day of RS Aero sailing at Massapoag YC on Saturday.

Friendly club, great hospitality, cold beer, superb race management.

16 RS Aeros. Biggest RS Aero regatta in North America east of the Rockies so far.

Second biggest RS Aero regatta ever in North America.

Everyone who came had a good time and made RS Aero history.

Pictures, regatta report, video and results at http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/190347

There is another regatta at Massapoag YC on Sep 10/11. This will be even bigger and better. With lobsters!

Be there!

WCB and DWD - you certainly missed a great day of RS Aero sailing at Massapoag YC on Saturday.

16 RS Aeros. Biggest RS Aero regatta in North America east of the Rockies so far.

Pictures, regatta report, video and results at http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/190347

There is another regatta at Massapoag YC on Sep 10/11. This will be even bigger and better. With lobsters!

Be there!

Are demo boats available for that event? My brother lives locally and I'm sure I can twist his arm to charter one.

Be there!

Are demo boats available for that event? My brother lives locally and I'm sure I can twist his arm to charter one.

The availability of the 8 boat charter fleet of RS Aeros from RS Sailing for the Sep 10/11 regatta is not confirmed yet. But they are hoping to have it back on the east coast before Labor Day. I will get the news out as soon as we know one way or the other.

Be there!

The availability of the 8 boat charter fleet of RS Aeros from RS Sailing for the Sep 10/11 regatta is not confirmed yet. But they are hoping to have it back on the east coast before Labor Day. I will get the news out as soon as we know one way or the other.

Yeah, let us know on the charter boats. I just got off the phone with my brother and he's definitely interested.

Drone and GoPro video highlights of RS Aero races 3 and 4 at the regatta at Massapoag YC on June 18.

Follow Marc Jacobi around the course and learn from a master!

Credits for the video to Gary Werden, Annie Pennington and Colin Snow.

Drone and GoPro video highlights of RS Aero races 3 and 4 at the regatta at Massapoag YC on June 18.

Follow Marc Jacobi around the course and learn from a master!

Credits for the video to Gary Werden, Annie Pennington and Colin Snow.

Love Marc's pants; where can I get a pair?

Nice video; unlike many others, it's easy to follow the race.

Love Marc's pants; where can I get a pair?

Nice video; unlike many others, it's easy to follow the race.

I understand that Marc will be auctioning his "go faster pants" on eBay.

Marc will be racing in the gorge at Aero Nationals as well with guys from all over North America (and 2 Brits flying out too)

The revolution is well underway

--

also, that's a very solid video.

After meetings so far this year in California, Texas, the PNW and the North East the two big USA RS Aero events are coming up soon.

Last call on charters and for early entry to the US Champs.....

RS AERO ATLANTIC COAST CHAMPIONSHIPS

Sail Newport Regatta, Newport, Rhode Island, July 8-10

13 now signed up, with another 4 or so expected to make 17!

Schedule: Coaching and GPS speed runs on Friday, Champs are Sat & Sun.

Charters: All charter boats now likely booked out, but contact Marc at usa@rsaerosailing.org for last minute availability.

Registration, Entry list and Notice of Race: http://www.sailnewport.org/regattas/newportRegatta/2016newportregatta

RS AERO US NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS - ***early entry discount ends July 10***

RS Aero Week at 'The Gorge'

CGRA, Cascade Locks, Oregon, USA, August 10-14

The big one at the iconic Columbia River Gorge....

Schedule: Clinic 10-11th, Long Distance & GPS Speed Runs 12th, Championships 13-14th

Charters: via West Coast Sailing or Marc at usa@rsaerosailing.org

Registration, Entry list and Notice of Race via: http://www.rsaerosailing.org/index.asp?p=event&eid=1078

17 RS Aeros racing at the RS Aero Atlantic Coast Championship at the Newport Regatta this weekend.

Congratulations to the the top three - Marc Jacobi, Peter Shope and Christine Neville.

Sailors were from MA, RI, CT, NY and some long distance Aero travelers from FL, NC, UT and CO.

Full results at the regatta website.

I'm a Dealer in St. Petersburg, FL

We have several aeros in stock

we have 5-6 area in the palm beach area and two in the Daytona area

Check out Sandy Point progressive sports in Miami they have aeros in stock too

There's 5-6 Aeros in the Palm Beach area?

I'm a Dealer in St. Petersburg, FL

We have several aeros in stock

we have 5-6 area in the palm beach area and two in the Daytona area

Check out Sandy Point progressive sports in Miami they have aeros in stock too

There's 5-6 Aeros in the Palm Beach area?

I understand there is now a fleet of 7 RS Aeros at the Sailfish Club of Florida in Palm Beach. Two of those sailors are spending the summer in the north-east and raced in some of the recent RS Aero regattas in New England. They are talking of hosting an RS Aero Midwinters Regatta in Palm Beach.

For those of you in sunny Western Australia there will be a 'Try an Aero Day' at Royal Freshwater Bay YC. Perth on Sunday 7th August (*not September as previously posted). All welcome

For further details, contact Penny Stewart. Email: rsaerowa@gmail.com

RS Aero European Championships 2016 - Travemunde, Germany

A great week with the other RS Classes and the festivities of Travemunder Woche for the first RS Aero European Champs last week. Nice to have American visitors join us too!

Report and Results

Photo Gallery

Looking forward to the RS Aero US Champs at the Columbia River Gorge next week and the first RS Aero World Championships at Carnac, France, next year, July 24-28, 2017.

RS Aero USA National Champs, Columbia River Gorge, OR - Results

Day 1 - 10-15kn wind in the first race increasing to 16-22kn for races 2-4

​Day 2 - steady increase to over 25kns, peaking at 31kn in the gusts in races 7 and 8. A big day out at the Gorge!

http://www.regattanetwork.com/event/12561#_newsroom+results

Sail Sandy Regatta Melbourne Australia

With Saturday's 25+ knots of wind causing sailing to be cancelled, the Sail Sandy regatta was squeezed into the Sunday. Numbers were down, as the forecast had put many sailors off entering..

The RS Aero's, RS200's and 100's sailed together, which provided some close mixed handicap racing, with Alister Danks in an Aero 7 narrowly beating Pete Milne and Lara Blasse in their RS200, a notable 3rd equal were Phillipa Danks and Jackie Lokum (both under 16) in their Aero 5's.

The family aspect of RS sailing was again demonstrated, the father and daughter Danks team in Aero's, plus Lara's daughter sailing in the 420 fleet whilst Gary Lokum was mixing it with the Finns.

The next major Australian RS events will be Go for Gold at Black Rock YC late in November, and the RS Victorian State Championships to be held during the George Mac Regatta at Royal Brighton Yacht Club early in December. An Aero coaching clinic is being arranged, potentially at Blairgowrie Y.S. later in the year.

Any Aero sailors visiting Australia will be supplied a boat for these events at no charge

Any Aero sailors visiting Australia will be supplied a boat for these events at no charge

If I were to plan a trip to Australia to include one RS Aero regatta there - which regatta should it be?

If I were to plan a trip to Australia to include one RS Aero regatta there - which regatta should it be?

If you love coffee then please note- Melbourne is where the world's best coffee can be found :-)

Tiller Man:

There is a choice of three main events.

If this year. Black Rock YC Go for Gold 26th -27th November. If you wish to continue, the following week is our Aero/ RS Victorian State Championships at Royal Brighton YC (5 miles down the road). Then of you are feeling really keen the following week, The Sailing World Cup finals at St Kilda (another 5 mile drive) where you could sail against the Australian Olympic champion Tom Burton in the Laser (your first love). The charter fee is $1,200 from PSA Laser. Bring your own sail and control lines etc.

If you plan on coming next year, the Australian Aero National Championships will be at Black Rock YC 1st & 2nd April 2017. Or join our fun club racing at any time.

Tiller Man:

There is a choice of three main events.

If this year. Black Rock YC Go for Gold 26th -27th November. If you wish to continue, the following week is our Aero/ RS Victorian State Championships at Royal Brighton YC (5 miles down the road). Then of you are feeling really keen the following week, The Sailing World Cup finals at St Kilda (another 5 mile drive) where you could sail against the Australian Olympic champion Tom Burton in the Laser (your first love). The charter fee is $1,200 from PSA Laser. Bring your own sail and control lines etc.

If you plan on coming next year, the Australian Aero National Championships will be at Black Rock YC 1st & 2nd April 2017. Or join our fun club racing at any time.

Hmmm - I already have commitments for last weekend of November and first weekend of December. The Australian Nationals sound interesting though. How many boats are you expecting in 2017?

Massive thanks to Des Seal who filmed our recent 41 boat Magic Marine RS Aero UK Inland Champs at Chelmarsh and took some interesting perspectives using a drone.

The aerial view is really useful in sailing as the 3D enables the viewer better judgement of distances and angles, particularly interesting when filming start lines and the angles of exit from them;

How do we get 1355 posts without anyone mentioning knee pads? Chartered one last weekend (thanks RS and KO Sailing!) only to hear how aggressive the cockpit sole is on the knees once they were unloaded. Were it not for the kindness of another, my weekend would have truly sucked. Thanks again for loaning me a pair, ortegakid.

Cool boat.

I'm disappointed it took 24 hours for someone to catch it. Or comment on it.

I sure had fun in Sunday's race. Arriving with the pack leaders at the windward mark made my day after my awful Saturday showing.

Here are the Australian Aero Christmas demonstration tour dates.

Victoria

4th -7th January Black Rock YC

8th - 13th January Blairgowrie YS

For further details other dates and bookings contact Sailing Raceboats on 0487 780 706. Other times and venues by request.

NSW

Sydney Harbour. Location and appointments arranged by request with The Life Aquatic.. Contact Simon Reffold (02) 9979 1590

Our next Aero open days to try the boats are: The Festival of Sails, Geelong on 25th, 26th, and 27th, January, and at Balmoral SC Sydney Harbour on Saturday 4th Feb 8.30 to 12.30.

Have a go in our Aero anytime, or preferably come to the open day at Balmoral SC on Saturday 4th Feb 8.30 to 12.30.

Hmm I might try and get to the balmoral one!

Ok, north america is waking back up again.

Approaching 30 Aeros in Seattle now.

Planning on 7-8 out of Richmond here in February for demos and some racing and working on some SoCal plans as well.

No doubt the RS AERO is the Laser of the future..real high performance single-hander, faster, lighter, so much modern than the Laser. Once you sail the AERO, you are hooked for good. Now, last Saturday, my rudder broke in a mistirious way. I was sailing on a reach when I heard the snap, it was gone! Any suggestions, comments???

Here is a video of how it happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPMLgdZjn3o

Thanks to SAILING ANARCHY featuring Ken Fowler's RACE TO SCOTLAND in his RS Aero today.

http://sailinganarchy.com/2017/01/31/scot-crazy/

The voyage will take Ken in his RS Aero across expanses of sea and through the Scotish Islands, from corner to corner of Great Britain. What an inspiring adventure and all for two worthy cancer charities.
There is plenty of racing around cans to be done - nice to see people getting out and creating there own adventures too!
Here is a video of Ken on a recent practice sail out to the Needles (Isle of Wight, UK) where he makes quick work of climbing back into his RS Aero after being distracted by the scenery. I think the cold winter water might have helped with his urgency!

- Use the gunwale to position the boat across the wind or a slightly closer angle
- Pull up on the cockpit grab rail and then the toe strap
- A big leg kick as you pull will make a big difference
- Speed is important, before the boat heels to windward

- If you don't succeed at the side, then go for the transom
Ken has just launched his Race to Scotland website. Follow his adventures and please do show your support;
Go Ken!

No doubt the RS AERO is the Laser of the future..real high performance single-hander, faster, lighter, so much modern than the Laser. Once you sail the AERO, you are hooked for good. Now, last Saturday, my rudder broke in a mistirious way. I was sailing on a reach when I heard the snap, it was gone! Any suggestions, comments???

Here is a video of how it happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPMLgdZjn3o

Contact the agent you bought the boat from, it will be interesting to see what they say. Tell them you will be posting the decision on SA.

I know what reply Laser would give you.........

RS Aero North American Midwinters

Great to see a fleet 26 RS Aeros entered for the midwinters in West Palm Beach, Florida last weekend. Marc Jacobi ran a clinic on Friday followed by two days racing - on the open ocean on Saturday and the inlet on Sunday.

Visitors travelled from 9 states from as far afield as Seattle and two Internationals flew in from Canada and the UK (bringing some rain with him for the Sunday!)

Numbers were anchored by the good sized local fleet from the Sailfish Club at Palm Beach. Those in the southern and eastern states travelled with their own RS Aeros and those further afield from WA, IL, Canada and UK were able to charter with the USA 8 RS Aero touring trailer and local dealer support.

Results, Pictures and Video here; http://www.rsaerosailing.org/index.asp?p=results&rid=3313

Back to back this weekend is the RS Aero Florida State Champs just up the coast hosted by the US Sailing Center at Jensen Beach.

Another 18 RS Aeros are signed up and again Marc is running his valuable Friday clinic before the weekend's racing.

Some sailors are taking the opportunity of competing in both events and there are many new faces at Jensen this weekend too.

The Florida sun is back as per the brochure, now that the UK have returned home with their weather!

http://www.regattanetwork.com/event/13624#_registration

Palm Beach SC, RS Aero North American Midwinters

62818355(5).jpg

There is an Aero primer that Peter Barton narrates, but the sound quality is so bad I can't understand what he is saying. It would be greatly appreciated if someone could translate!

Thanks!!

US307

Hi US307,

Apologies, that was an impromtu amateur iPhone job in the rain (Karl took it, the man who brought rain from the UK to the Florida Midwinters last week!)

I believe someone has produced am enhanced audio from it which I am trying to track down.

We should produce new chaptered pro versions once it is a little warmer outside. That spiel has certainly evolved a little since June 2015.

Peter

Thanks so much Peter!!

I sail a Megabyte, but so much of the controls overlap. Trying to go a little(a lot?) faster.

Thanks,

US307

Hi US307,

Try this Dropbox link to the Aero Primer intro video. It is an enhanced audio version kindly produced by Ron, an RS Aero sailor in Israel.

RS Aero Primer - Intro Video

We hope to produce a new version soon, when it is warmer!

Thanks to Karl who took the original and Ron for his enhancement.

RS Aero North American Winter Regattas

RS Aero North American Midwinters & Florida State Champs

Thanks to Greg for this wrap up report on the two recent Florida events;

http://www.rsaerosailing.org/index.asp?p=news&nid=10706

1857108(1).jpg

RS Aeros at the Frigid Digit, Seattle

...and as a third consecutive weekend (but nobody managed all 3!) 14 RS aeros signed up for a nice mild weekend in Seattle where the red hot level of competition made up for any lack of Florida sun!

Report, Results, Pics; http://www.rsaerosailing.org/index.asp?p=results&rid=3322

280044069.jpg

RS Aero Texas State Championships @ Conroe Yacht Club April 22 & 23. 10 charter boats available through KO sailing. This regatta is a blast and we will have great racing. Come join us!

post-124420-0-45864300-1490363170_thumb.jpg

24 Aero's have entered for Australian Championships on April 1st and 2nd with competitors from WA, NSW, Vic and SA Target is 25!.

The Aero 5's have been included with the Laser Radials coaching at the Victorian Youth Championships the following week, for the first time, we have a boat available to lend

Once some more Kiwi's get aboard, we are looking forward to some great Southern Hemisphere action.

The next Aero demo day will be held at Sorrento CBC Victoria and Hunters Hill SC New South Wales in mid April.

At what helm weight do you need to start parking yourself north of the cockpit to get the stern out of the agua in the light?

Amati,

The positioning is not so much a function of the sailor weight as the conditions. If you are drifting/trundling it is good for all sailors to sit forward, reducing transom drag and wetted area. You might have both feet still in the cockpit or one foot in and the forward leg on the deck. The non slip area adjacent to the dagger board helps facilitate that.

There are plenty of heavier helms doing fine in the light races with many examples of that both in the large UK events and within the USA's large and very competitive Seattle fleet.

It looks (looking at youtubes of races etc.) and sounds less comfy than drifting in a Laser....

Maybe drifting comfort is a bigger dinghy thing?

It looks (looking at youtubes of races etc.) and sounds less comfy than drifting in a Laser....

Maybe drifting comfort is a bigger dinghy thing?

The Laser and the Aero are both pretty uncomfortable when drifting around in super light winds (what small, fast dinghy isn't?). I haven't been able to discern a distinction in comfort between the two in drifter conditions. The Aero is definitely more comfortable in hiking conditions. To me, they're both pretty much the same in comfort in low-to-medium winds (enough wind to sit out on the edge of the boat, but not enough to warrant hiking).

The best solution to discomfort in drifting conditions is to stay ashore. What we do is called "sailing" not "drifting".

The best solution to discomfort in drifting conditions is to stay ashore. What we do is called "sailing" not "drifting".

However when the wind is just enough to get 'trundling' the RS Aero 9 is a great option. As a good sized sail on a light hull it is an agile combination and quick to accelerate in each extra zephyr.

Here are two pictures of the UK River Champs last year that put that agility and acceleration to the ultimate test. The event was created to have fun and embrace the challenges of a very restricted waterway and turned out to be an incredibly fun racing and training experience.

We had two Classes with eighteen RS Aero 9s and five RS Aero 7s on the 60 yard wide river.

The wind was generally 5-10kn and it was one of the most memorably days racing last year, and we had some good ones!

636245512(8).jpg

636245512(5).jpg

The best solution to discomfort in drifting conditions is to stay ashore. What we do is called "sailing" not "drifting

As an ex D2 sailor, and light air specialist, I feel great sadness that you might never enjoy the Zen of 0-2 K.

Only by experiencing stillness will you find oneness with the wind. :)

Or to quote Hans Gruber, "don't be impatient, just wound them".

Going out only when it's Nuking on your 8' & 5m killed Windsurfing.

Watching a Star working the Sound on a still day is poetry.

I don't understand why light air sailing should be uncomfortable by design.

I await your reply. Bring it.

And I was being ironic calling a Laser comfy in a drifter.

Does anyone else just stand up in flat water 0-3?

Micro balance adjustments are easy, can see breeze on water better, etc.

Experience hasn't convinced me that the aerodynamic drag isn't offset.

Is it legal?

When Windsurfing first came on, there were a few of us who stood up sailing Lasers. You could put more weight on the Gunwale standing on it.

So we tried it racing, but everybody else was yelling 'sit down', so we lost our nerve. Dick Rose was one of the guys yelling at us, so......

Kinetics are a lot easier. Don't know if you could do it in an Aero or Melges, but it is fun to stand on a Laser Bow and air row the main. Almost touching the water with the boom is fun. :)

Is it legal?

Kinetics are a lot easier. Don't know if you could do it in an Aero or Melges, but it is fun to stand on a Laser Bow and air row the main. Almost touching the water with the boom is fun. :)

What would standing up in your boat be illegal. Nothing in the RRS to say you must be sat down in fact many performance classes end up with the cre standing on the Foredeck in light winds and following the jib round the front of the mast.

Class rules may of course limit this but not in any boat I have sailed in (similar to the 'no hiking' in classes like the SB20 which are 'enforced' by having rails).

Is it legal?

What would standing up in your boat be illegal. Nothing in the RRS to say you must be sat down in fact many performance classes end up with the cre standing on the Foredeck in light winds and following the jib round the front of the mast.

Class rules may of course limit this but not in any boat I have sailed in (similar to the 'no hiking' in classes like the SB20 which are 'enforced' by having rails).

Did a search, but couldn't find anything. Maybe it's just tradition? Musto, RS700 and Contender sailors stand up quite a bit.....trapeze boats.....

Here's a discussion- propulsion may be the key, or maybe it's just easier to see propulsion when a helm is sitting rather than standing- little nudge with a foot (ball of the foot actually :) ) to ooch works really well, with some practice could be almust imperceptible:

http://sailingforums.com/threads/propulsion-and-rules-question.18003/

I could see intent (why are you standing?) becoming a bone of contention

Here's another one, specific to standing

http://sailingforums.com/threads/standing-up-while-sailing.26638/

Holy writ :) rules

http://www.sailing.org/tools/documents/42interpretations2010final-%5B8881%5D.pdf

Lets be honest here. I do not mean to offend anyone but come on...

In terms of actual competitors on the water, the RS Aero Australian Championship had:

• 6 competitors in Aero 5
  • 8 competitors in Aero 7
  • 1 competitor in Aero 9

A grand total of 15 sailors.

None of whom would even finish mid-fleet or above in a Lasers Master regatta, let alone an open event.

That is less sailors than most club events for Lasers.

Lets be honest here. I do not mean to offend anyone but come on...

In terms of actual competitors on the water, the RS Aero Australian Championship had:

• 6 competitors in Aero 5
  • 8 competitors in Aero 7
  • 1 competitor in Aero 9

A grand total of 15 sailors.

None of whom would even finish mid-fleet or above in a Lasers Master regatta, let alone an open event.

That is less sailors than most club events for Lasers.

I was just telling my young daughter yesterday to stop looking for reasons not to do something, and start looking for reasons to do the same thing. Maybe you could do with the same advice. Why don't you try an Aero.

The Aero is clearly a beautiful and popular replacement for a Laser in many parts of the world.

The laser is an old heavy boat that in Australia at least suffers from shitty build quality, a supplier that doesn't support retailers, who supplies direct to customers, who has no structure in his pricing, not exactly playing the long game. In the rest of the world, the class is suffering from infighting in many areas. Crappy quality sails, and now they have changed the rig as well. Awesome!

I for one hope the Aero changes single handed dinghies the way the 9ers changed double handers!

And yes they have to start somewhere, 15 boats aint that bad.