Editor

rs aero

The Texas State RS Aero Championship has two multi-time Laser Masters World champs signed up and a top five in the world Sunfish skipper, to name but a few. This boat attracts VERY GOOD sailors. And some shitty ones.

So what's the pre-regatta form guide? Will one of those heavy boat old geezer champions win? Or will one of the shitty sailors surprise us all?

And some shitty ones.

I haven't bought one yet.

I think that was directed at me. He's seen me "sail" a charter in drifting conditions. :P

It is a wonderfully fun little boat when there's wind. Maybe once the numbers around my club climb a bit for some OD. For now I'm going to stick to the trampoline comfort of my Barcalounger boats. Kneepads suck.

And some shitty ones.

I haven't bought one yet.

I think that was directed at me. He's seen me "sail" a charter in drifting conditions. :P

It is a wonderfully fun little boat when there's wind. Maybe once the numbers around my club climb a bit for some OD. For now I'm going to stick to the trampoline comfort of my Barcalounger boats. Kneepads suck.

Never. I was referring to myself.

Test sailed an Aero with the 7 rig along with a half dozen others at Palm Beach, Florida recently. Very responsive to skipper input. Reminded me of Moths of 50 years ago. Yes, I'm old. Did win all the races, though. Experience.

Writing a review for Southwinds magazine, available for the SE USA.

A heretical thought: How long before a foiling kit is available?

Dave Ellis

Tampa Bay, Florida

Test sailed an Aero with the 7 rig along with a half dozen others at Palm Beach, Florida recently. Very responsive to skipper input. Reminded me of Moths of 50 years ago. Yes, I'm old. Did win all the races, though. Experience.

Dave Ellis

Tampa Bay, Florida

Foils for the Aero are already available from Glide Free Foils.

Oh, I'm on race committee at Charleston Race Week, course 4.

Pulled a Viper 640 from southern California and will drag it back afterwards.

Retirement is pretty neat.

Dave Ellis

INVITE!

October 20 - 22 at Clearwater Community Sailing Center, Florida is a Performance Dinghy Regatta.

Fireballs,505, FD, Contender, Windmills and now I have gotten approval to invite Aero's!

Great race committee, eh eh, and incomparable venue.

NOR will be on the web site.

Dave Ellis

Dave Ellis

Tampa Bay, Florida

Foils for the Aero are already available from Glide Free Foils.

Absolutely fantastic!!!

turn volume down v

2017 North-East USA RS Aero regatta circuit.

June 3 - Massapaog YC, Sharon MA
June 10/11 - Wickford Regatta, Wickford RI
July 7/8/9 - RS Aero N. American Championship, Newport Regatta, Newport RI
Aug 19 - Hempstead Harbor Club, Glen Cove NY
Sep 9/10 - Massapoag YC, Sharon MA

Charter RS Aeros available at all these events. To reserve a charter boat, contact Marc Jacobi at USA@rsaerosailing.org

Dear Existing Aero Owners-

Tomorrow we'll be publicly announcing a West Coast Aero Tour.  I wanted to give you guys the heads up on it first so you know what we're doing to grow the fleet around the west coast even more.

What?
We've got a custom trailer with 8 Aeros/dollies/covers and all rigs.
It's going to be driving to events to create an 'instant regatta'

Why?
Everyone has heard of the boat by now, but we've got lots of people on the fence with the 'where are the fleets' excuse.  So, we're going to take the boats to them.  We've got almost 30 people looking to get into the fleet, now it's time to show the boat off to these folks.

When / Where?
See the list below.

Who
Anyone interested in seeing the Aero is welcome!

The Goal?
Show people what an amazing boat the Aero is, and get them involved and talking to owners about the boat.

WEST COAST AERO TOUR

LYSA / Lake Yosemite - May 20/21

Memorial Day / ABYC - May 27/28

Go For The Gold / Scotts Flatt Lake - June 3/4

Summer Sailstice / Encinal YC - June 24

Pacific Coast Championships August 18-20

**more dates to be announced**

Sounds fun, what now??!

Have a friend who wants to get a ride?  Know some folks that are looking for the next boat?
It's super easy - just reserve a boat for the event you want online!

$150 covers everything for the entire weekend - everything included someone needs to get on the water.

Note To Existing Owners:
If you are available to participate in any of these dates, please join us. 
The more the merrier.

There are over 100 Aeros on the West Coast now.  And we're working hard to get to double that.
We need your help to get the next wave of folks into the boats, interested and consider joining the fun.

We're going to work hard to make some noise, generate videos and all that and stir the pot for the fleet.  We're committed to continue to grow the Aero here on the West Coast.

-- 

I'm 62 and sail one a bit, it is much fun when mild and much work when windy, but fun, I sailed against a 72 year old that almost beat me!

1 hour ago, lafish said:

Any old guys sailing Aero's? They look like great fun.

I'm 68 and have sailed the Aero in New England, Oregon, Spain and Italy. The boat is so lively and responsive and is a delight to sail... and the people in the Aero Class are the best.

So yes, old guys sail Aeros. And young guys. And kids. And women. With the choice of three rigs pretty much everyone can sail an Aero and have fun.

How does the new RS Neo fit in the scheme of things when people are racing Aeros?

I'm new to the idea of organised racing, but I owned a Sunfish 25 years ago. I'm currently sailing a Hobie Holder 14 with the wife, but I've been eyeing some old Lasers, because I'm only a few mile from the MYC in Massachusetts. My wife is not interested in hiking out after the Hobie Cat incident while on vacation.

6 hours ago, Eddie_E said:

How does the new RS Neo fit in the scheme of things when people are racing Aeros?

I'm new to the idea of organised racing, but I owned a Sunfish 25 years ago. I'm currently sailing a Hobie Holder 14 with the wife, but I've been eyeing some old Lasers, because I'm only a few mile from the MYC in Massachusetts. My wife is not interested in hiking out after the Hobie Cat incident while on vacation.

Haven't seen an RS Neo in real life yet. It has an Aero-like rig but the hull is much heavier so I expect it will be slower than an Aero. 

Eddie - if you want to try an RS Aero at Massapaog YC then message me and I will set something up for you. Or charter an Aero for the MYC regatta on June 3. Regatta website is at http://www.regattanetwork.com/event/13664. RS Aero charters are available at $75 for the regatta from Marc Jacobi at USA@rsaerosailing.org.

16 hours ago, Eddie_E said:

I think the Neo is more of a sailing school boat. More able to take knocks from beginners, not so much fun pulling back up the ramp.

As manufacturer controlled one designs go, how have RS done with other boats over the long run?  Kept to the baseline or periodic updates to the original?

16 hours ago, dogwatch said:

Kept to the baseline.

What about the updating of the sails for the 400 and 200? There was a deck mould update for the 800 and I believe the 200 too... Both thoroughly researched and with an aim of making minimal difference to performance, just ease of manufacture, use and 'modernising' the classes I think.

Cool beans; good info.  So, with a little internet sleuthing, some 19 and 17 years for the 200 and 400 before updates, respectively, with the sails updates driven primarily by unavailability of the original sail material.  And RS went through the class associations with their proposals.

I like that.  A lot.

12 people are now signed up to sail RS Aeros at the Massapoag YC regatta in Sharon MA on Saturday - including one international visitor, three female sailors, and three people totally new to the RS Aero.

Eric Aker, president of the NA RS Aero Class says, "MYC SBR is a very civilized event - breakfast, lunch, and a barbeque with some sailing between meals. Folks there are very friendly and welcoming." All for only $45!

Come join us.  Let's see if we can break last year's record of 16 Aeros.

Charter boats available at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/rs-aero-charter-at-massapoag-a…

Register at http://www.regattanetwork.com/event/13664

10TH ANNUAL MASSAPOAG YC SMALL BOAT REGATTA JUNE 3

In the end we had 13 sailors racing RS Aeros at the Massapoag YC Small Boat Regatta in Sharon MA including 5 newcomers to the RS Aero and 3 female sailors. 

Marc Jacobi USA and Gareth Griffiths GBR had another epic battle for first and second places with Marc emerging victorious this year. Matt Russell from Los Angeles was first 7 rig and third overall on handicap. 

Once again, the RS Aeros were the biggest fleet at the regatta. Thanks to everyone who came from near and far to our little lake club in Sharon MA.

Full results at http://www.regattanetwork.com/event/13664#_newsroom+results

Next up on the north-east US RS Aero regatta circuit is the Wickford Regatta on June 10/11. Regatta website is at http://wickford.sailspace.net. Contact Marc Jacobi at USA@rsaerosailing.org if you need a charter boat.

Anyone had a chance to compare to a VX Evo ? I need out of my Laser !

4 hours ago, bibs said:

Anyone had a chance to compare to a VX Evo ? I need out of my Laser !

The VX EVO looks like a fine boat but it is not really comparable to the RS Aero.

To quote the VX EVO website, the VX EVO is "specifically for larger sailors or teams of 2 smaller sailors" whereas the RS Aero is a singlehander for sailors of weights 77-210 lbs according to RS Sailing, although I have seen heavier sailors than that racing it quite successfully.

The VX EVO weighs about 180 lbs. The total weight of the RS Aero is 88 lbs.

The VX EVO has an asymmetric spinnaker. The RS Aero doesn't.

The VX EVO price is about $11,500. The RS Aero is about $8,000.

Totally different boats meeting different needs. 

Pick the one that suits your needs best.

21 hours ago, Mystique said:

did you see this

rofl.  they might sell about 5% as many as 14s as RS sells Aeros, but damn they are good at making glossy videos to share on social media..

I have been having a serious look at the Aero. Checks many correct boxes. Yesterday I came across the attached picture on the Aero FB page. This shows a US boat that suffered a lower gudgeon failure while sailing in 18-22 knots. From the comments of the owner, prior to this there were no groundings hitting anything. Also the comments seem to indicate that this is not the first gudgeon failure. Can some of you Aero experts add any comments? Are there proactive repairs that can be made and / or has RS made any tweaks to the construction of this part of the boat? Could this be analogous to the chronic Laser mast step problem? I didn't know anything about Laser mast step design defect until I broke the mast step on my first Laser in 1979. Since then I proactively corrected this problem on all subsequent Lasers. Thanks in advance for any comments.

IMG_1240.PNG

Not clear from the posting but in the comments you will see that other similar failures have been reported. Plus at least one comment from someone saying they saw small cracks around the gudgeon mounting area. Will be interesting to see comments here about this subject.

Saw that on a 2015, happened when a customer capsized and either fell on, or held onto the tiller end.  Huge lever arm, so ripped it out.

Pretty easy fix.

RS changed the layup I think in 2016 with a bit more carbon there.  Only seen one myself, but heard of one other with that issue (the above one).

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 10:10 AM, tillerman said:

10TH ANNUAL MASSAPOAG YC SMALL BOAT REGATTA JUNE 3

In the end we had 13 sailors racing RS Aeros at the Massapoag YC Small Boat Regatta in Sharon MA including 5 newcomers to the RS Aero and 3 female sailors. 

Marc Jacobi USA and Gareth Griffiths GBR had another epic battle for first and second places with Marc emerging victorious this year. Matt Russell from Los Angeles was first 7 rig and third overall on handicap. 

Marc is a University of Hawaii Sailing Team alum & one of the nicest guys in the sport. 

Good on ya Marc !

12 minutes ago, Great Red Shark said:

Marc is a University of Hawaii Sailing Team alum & one of the nicest guys in the sport. 

Good on ya Marc !

Marc Jacobi is in Carnac, France this week, racing in the first RS Aero World Championship. After four days of racing and one day left to go, it looks almost certain that he will be RS Aero 9 World Champion.

You can follow his accounts of the action at the Worlds on his blog http://marcjacobi.blogspot.com

Results and photos are at http://www.yccarnac.com/rs-aero-world-championships-2017-results.html

16 hours ago, tillerman said:

Marc Jacobi is in Carnac, France this week, racing in the first RS Aero World Championship. After four days of racing and one day left to go, it looks almost certain that he will be RS Aero 9 World Champion.

You can follow his accounts of the action at the Worlds on his blog http://marcjacobi.blogspot.com

Results and photos are at http://www.yccarnac.com/rs-aero-world-championships-2017-results.html

Huge Congrats to you Marc for winning the Worlds in the Aero 9 class

His blog has very good race-summaries ( from the front of the fleet ) - readable and easy to stay with him around the course ( on-screen,  anyway !)

That bit in race one,  where the guy in front of him was headed to the wrong mark and Marc yells over to warn him - pure Jacobi, there.  Class.

29 minutes ago, Great Red Shark said:

That bit in race one,  where the guy in front of him was headed to the wrong mark and Marc yells over to warn him - pure Jacobi, there.  Class.

Yes. Marc is a class act indeed, an example to us all and a terrific ambassador for the RS Aero Class.

Last year at the RS Aero US Nationals at the Gorge he was giving rides on the Aero to little kids hanging out on the beach.

And I hear that this week in Carnac he was giving gave master classes to the youth sailors on sailing techniques and post sailing stretches. 

Good video - now posted in 3 places. Warms the heart to know that even World champs get their mainsheet tangled at the top mark on occasion! (13:44ish)

Good Onya Marc! Outstanding effort and result - and a great vid too. Old Laser sailers never die.....they just get on better boats!! I'd be keen to see how the camera was mounted. Cheers from a mate in Melbourne.

68TH ANNUAL REGATTA  MASSAPOAG YC - SHARON MA - SEP 9/10

Come join us at Massapoag YC on Sep 9/10 for the sixth regatta for RS Aeros that we have run at MYC since the formation of the Boston Aero fleet in 2015.

We already have sailors registered from MA, RI, MD, NC and CO. So whether you live far or near, this is the place you need to be on Sep 9/10.

The 2017 RS Aero 9 World Champion Marc Jacobi will be there. Don't miss this opportunity to race with and get tips from the only RS Aero world championship winner in North America.

There will be a welcome party on the Friday evening before the regatta and the world famous lobster dinner on Saturday.

Charter boats are available. Contact Marc Jacobi at USA@rsaerosailing.org to reserve your charter boat. If you have your own RS Aero, then bring a friend and get them to charter a boat.

Check out http://www.rsaerosailing.org/index.asp?p=event&eid=1292 for more details and link to registration. If you plan to come then please register now. The more we have signed up now, the more other sailors will be encouraged to come and join us.

Mid-year update to the RS Aero United States Megatour. Your chance to race or just try an RS Aero at any of these events.

Coming up next...

Aug 18-20 - Pacific Coast Championship - Columbia Gorge Racing Association - Cascade Locks, OR

Aug 19 - Ward Bell Memorial Regatta  - Hempstead Harbour Club - Glen Cove, NY

Sep 9/10 - Massapoag YC Annual Regatta - Sharon, MA

20479943_10100755793725461_8326451667500

On 7/26/2017 at 9:54 AM, Alan Crawford said:

I have been having a serious look at the Aero. Checks many correct boxes. Yesterday I came across the attached picture on the Aero FB page. This shows a US boat that suffered a lower gudgeon failure while sailing in 18-22 knots. From the comments of the owner, prior to this there were no groundings hitting anything. Also the comments seem to indicate that this is not the first gudgeon failure. Can some of you Aero experts add any comments? Are there proactive repairs that can be made and / or has RS made any tweaks to the construction of this part of the boat? Could this be analogous to the chronic Laser mast step problem? I didn't know anything about Laser mast step design defect until I broke the mast step on my first Laser in 1979. Since then I proactively corrected this problem on all subsequent Lasers. Thanks in advance for any comments.

IMG_1240.PNG

This last weekend was my last time back in Corpus Christ since I saw this facebook post. I took a VERY close look at my gudgeon. I'm now convinced that the cracks I see in my gudgeon area are just gelcoat level cracks and are not structural (i.e. do not penetrate beyond the gelcoat). So, I don't think that the cracks I referenced in a comment to this facebook post are the emblematic of the same issue. Actually, I believe I once tipped the boat up on the beach to drain some water out of the hull, and I pushed the nose up too far, resulting in some leverage on the lower gudgeon. Also, I rig the boat on its side and the rudder sometimes catches downward when I tip the boat back upright, thereby leveraging against the gudgeon. My guess is that these actions have caused some surface level cracks in the gelcoat, but not in the underlying fiberglass or other structural material.

I took a video of my gudgeon area. It's not very good because you can't see the surface level cracks in the gelcoat (which is sort of an indication that it's not severe enough to be seen well on a GoPro). I'll send it off to RS soon for a second opinion. But I did want to follow through with my initial conclusion that my situation is nowhere near as severe as this issue.

RS Aero Sailors (and Aero wannabes) please come to our regatta for RS Aeros (and some other boats) at Massapoag YC in Sharon MA on Sep 9/10. 

The 2017 RS Aero 9 World Champion Marc Jacobi will be there. Don't miss this opportunity to race with and get tips from the only RS Aero world championship winner in North America.

There will be a welcome party on the Friday evening before the regatta and the world famous lobster dinner on Saturday.

Charter boats are available at just $140 for first time RS Aero sailors. All you need to do is just show up and go sailing. Contact Marc Jacobi at USA@rsaerosailing.org to reserve your charter boat. If you have your own RS Aero, then bring a friend and get them to charter a boat.

Check out http://www.rsaerosailing.org/index.asp?p=event&eid=1292 for more details and link to registration and NOR.

If you plan to come then please register now. The more we have signed up now, the more other sailors will be encouraged to come and join us. And if you sign up before Aug 29 you will be eligible for the early entry fee.

I'm doing the midwinter's in January at Palm Beach Sailing Club. Marc is being really helpful getting me a charter boat. Since walking away from Finns I'm really excited to get back into dinghy racing, and I've been following the Aeros progress for awhile now and I like what I see. 

Chartering is neat.  We had eight charters at the last Wurstfest.  

Don't forget to take some knee pads.

Can't be much worse on the knees than Finns were. I've been wanting to try out the aero for awhile now so the midwinter's will be good. 

I also like the Melges 14 but the aero is better bang for the buck if you ask me, and it has more of a following. 

On August 20, 2017 at 6:36 PM, tillerman said:

RS Aero Sailors (and Aero wannabes) please come to our regatta for RS Aeros (and some other boats) at Massapoag YC in Sharon MA on Sep 9/10. 

Charter boats are available at just $140 for first time RS Aero sailors. All you need to do is just show up and go sailing. Contact Marc Jacobi at USA@rsaerosailing.org to reserve your charter boat. If you have your own RS Aero, then bring a friend and get them to charter a boat.

Check out http://www.rsaerosailing.org/index.asp?p=event&eid=1292 for more details and link to registration and NOR.

If you plan to come then please register now. The more we have signed up now, the more other sailors will be encouraged to come and join us. And if you sign up before Aug 29 you will be eligible for the early entry fee.

Early registration now extended to Friday September 1. Register now, save yourself a few bucks, and help our caterer with planning.

Aero things are happening all over, it's pretty exciting.

Sold another 7 or 8 Aeros to California in the last two weeks.

--
5 Aeros already registered for Totally Dinghy at Richmond Yacht Club.

39 minutes ago, WestCoast said:

Aero things are happening all over, it's pretty exciting.

Talked to a new RS Aero owner a few days ago and asked him why he had bought an Aero.

"Because of all the regattas I can go to," was his reply.

http://www.rsaerosailing.org/index.asp?p=events&rg=North America

Hmm, must be good. Events for Australia are listed as:

1. RS AEROCUP - MALCESINE, LAKE GARDA, ITALY in October 2017
  2. 2nd RS Aero World Championship 2018 (Weymouth & Portland NSA, UK) in August 2018

Someone needs a lesson in geography.

6 hours ago, RobG said:

2. 2nd RS Aero World Championship 2018 (Weymouth & Portland NSA, UK) in August 2018

LOL. The Aussies do like to travel!

For me, the Aero is an appealing boat. But if that's the best RS can do for Aussie adopters… maybe I'll get a foiling scow Moth instead.

RS Aero UK National Championship and International Open
Hayling Island SC, 31st August – 3rd Sept

A final tally of 114 entries gave well over a 50% increase on last year - and just 5 weeks after the World Championship in France with similar numbers! The 2017 UK Champs saw a large increase in the proportion of Youth and Ladies in the fleet, both over 20% of the total.

A nice variety of conditions provided something for every body at this year's UK National Championship. It was interesting to see how differing sailor weights faired in each rig across the three days.

Thank you to event sponsors Magic MarineHarkenRS SailingSeldén Mast and Hayling Island SC (HISC) for their support, a great selection of prizes, vouchers, entry pack gifts and the ‘drinks for tallies’ initiative!

REPORT & RESULTS; http://www.rsaerosailing.org/index.asp?p=results&rid=3378

On 20 September 2017 at 4:54 AM, RobG said:

Those two events are 'International' and therefore appear in all the regional RS Aero calendars. Great to see 2 Aussies set to compete at the Lake Garda RS Aerocup in 2 weeks, we also had 2 last year. After 3 AUS sailors came to our 1st Worlds in Carnac we hope to see more at next year's Worlds in Weymouth UK. So it is all relevant.

Fact is that it is still winter down under and the new Australian summer calendar is not up yet. Not that I support the notion that they really have a winter. The Aussie Aeros will be confirming events to me in due course, like they have done the past couple of years when there have been half a dozen events plus various demo meetings. The highlight was the Australian RS Aero Champs in April.

The RS Aero class since launching has been a wonderful lesson in geography that I have really enjoyed, thank you! Check out the locations map on the home page of the website - every dot represents a club or location where I know of at least one RS Aero. I try to keep myself pretty well informed but there will be many more that I don't know of. 185 clubs in the UK from the smallest of ponds or rivers to exposed open sea sailing. 45 countries World wide each with their own charter and challenges. All giving a fresh perspective to the Class on the sport of sailing, geography, culture, logistics, markets... and all in just 3 years... Long may the lessons continue!

2018 RS Aero events in North America confirmed so far...

Jan 26-28 - Midwinters - Palm Beach SC - FL

Feb 2-4 - Florida State Champs - US Sailing Center, Jensen Beach

Feb 24-25 - Frigid Digit - Corinthian YC - Seattle, WA

March 16-18 - Sarasota One Design Midwinter Regatta - Sarasota Sailing Squadron - FL

April 5-6 - RS Aeros at Feva Worlds - Clearwater Community Sailing Center - FL

28-29 April - Texas State Champs - Conroe YC

May 17-20 - North Americans - Sea Star Base - Galveston,TX

June 2 - Massapoag YC Small Boat Regatta - Sharon,MA

June 9-10 - Wickford Regatta - Wickford YC - RI

July 7-8 - Newport Regatta - Sail Newport - RI

Sep 8-9  - Massapoag YC Annual Regatta - Sharon, MA

Check out https://www.rsaerosailing.org/index.asp?p=events&rg=North America for latest schedule and all the info on each event.

I am sure there will be more events added to this list in the coming weeks.

Did I miss any other regattas already confirmed?

Maybe thirty knots somewhere???  (else)

On 9/28/2017 at 11:46 AM, INTER 20 said:

5 hours ago, tillerman said:

2018 RS Aero events in North America confirmed so far...

Jan 26-28 - Midwinters - Palm Beach SC - FL

Feb 2-4 - Florida State Champs - US Sailing Center, Jensen Beach

Feb 24-25 - Frigid Digit - Corinthian YC - Seattle, WA

March 16-18 - Sarasota One Design Midwinter Regatta - Sarasota Sailing Squadron - FL

April 5-6 - RS Aeros at Feva Worlds - Clearwater Community Sailing Center - FL

28-29 April - Texas State Champs - Conroe YC

May 17-20 - North Americans - Sea Star Base - Galveston,TX

June 2 - Massapoag YC Small Boat Regatta - Sharon,MA

June 9-10 - Wickford Regatta - Wickford YC - RI

July 7-8 - Newport Regatta - Sail Newport - RI

Sep 8-9  - Massapoag YC Annual Regatta - Sharon, MA

Check out https://www.rsaerosailing.org/index.asp?p=events&rg=North America for latest schedule and all the info on each event.

I am sure there will be more events added to this list in the coming weeks.

Did I miss any other regattas already confirmed?

Will the charter trailer be showing up at any of these events?

8 minutes ago, torrid said:

Will the charter trailer be showing up at any of these events?

The charter trailer will be at the four Florida events definitely (although I hear all the charter boats for the Midwinters are taken.)

And it's been announced that charter boats will be available at the North Americans in Galveston.

I don't know personally about all of the others yet.  Email the class manager Marc Jacobi at USA@RSAeroSailing.org if you have interest in a charter for any particular event.

It would be tempting to charter one at Galveston as that's near my hometown.  However being the North Americans, I think the charters ought to be reserved for actual dues-paying class members/owners.

1 hour ago, torrid said:

It would be tempting to charter one at Galveston as that's near my hometown.  However being the North Americans, I think the charters ought to be reserved for actual dues-paying class members/owners.

I see that charters for both the Texas State Championships at Conroe YC in April, and the NAs at Galveston in May are now available for purchase on the KO Sailing website.

At most events we positively encourage non-owners (aka prospective owners) to charter RS Aeros. That's the primary purpose for the charter trailer. But I appreciate your sentiment, torrid,  that at least some boats should be reserved for class members/ current owners at the NAs.

7 hours ago, Blackjack2 said:

Maybe thirty knots somewhere???  (else)

When it's an offshore breeze in Santa Barbara, it's usually relatively flat water and very gusty.

RS Aero Midwinters are next weekend at Palm Beach Sailing Club. 

25 boats already registered and the current forecast predicts it will be blowing iguanas off trees.

This video is of the same event in 2017.

I had to read up on the Sea Star Base.  I saw it when I was visiting a few weeks ago and thought it was a condo complex.  It's impressive complex, starting as a Sea Scout base with a five-story dormitory.

I just wonder about the location, being so exposed to hurricanes and a good distance away from Houston.  It looks like it was recently opened up for more events like national championships to increase the utilization.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, torrid said:

I had to read up on the Sea Star Base.  I saw it when I was visiting a few weeks ago and thought it was a condo complex.  It's impressive complex, starting as a Sea Scout base with a five-story dormitory.

I just wonder about the location, being so exposed to hurricanes and a good distance away from Houston.  It looks like it was recently opened up for more events like national championships to increase the utilization.

Yeah. I had never heard of that location in Galveston before. It was selected as a site for the RS Aero North Americans by a vote of class members - the other alternative being the Columbia River Gorge. I think a big selling point among those who voted for it was that it is a more central location in the country than either the north-east or north-west where we have held our NAs or Nationals in the last three years. (Full disclosure - personally I voted for the Gorge but then I am usually sailing the opposite tack to most of rest of the fleet.)

The selling points for Galveston Sea Star Base for the Aero NAs in May also included...

Protected bayou for sailing. Site of several major Laser, high school and college regattas.
Great sea-breeze, usually 10-15 knots and temps around 80 degrees.
$30/night onsite lodging, reasonably priced off-site accommodation available.
Venue is 40 minutes from Hobby airport and organizer will offer very reasonable airport transport, so no need to rent a car!
Pre-event clinic will be held.
Charter boats available for $550 from KO Sailing. 

North, south, east, west - 22 RS Aero events in North America in 2018 are now listed on the RS Aero North American Events Schedule and it's not even the end of January yet.

As well as the Midwinters this coming weekend in Florida, the other two major regattas confirmed so far are the North Americans in Galveston in May and the Pacific Coast Championship at the Columbia River Gorge in July.

And I am sure some American sailors will be going to the RS Aero Worlds at the 2012 Olympics venue in England in August.

Choices, choices, choices.

My Daughter is 10 and she is showing an interest in dinghy sailing/racing! 

I want to buy an RS Aero for her and myself to use and I was wondering where the best place to find one used. I live in Seattle and there isn't a lot around here. West Coast Sailing in Portland OR has a used one but they are asking like 7 thousand still. Is it possible to get an older used one for around 4 thousand  USD?  Where is the best place to find used AERO listings in the United States? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

orcas in elliott bay.jpg

9 hours ago, Orca Research said:

My Daughter is 10 and she is showing an interest in dinghy sailing/racing! 

I want to buy an RS Aero for her and myself to use and I was wondering where the best place to find one used. I live in Seattle and there isn't a lot around here. West Coast Sailing in Portland OR has a used one but they are asking like 7 thousand still. Is it possible to get an older used one for around 4 thousand  USD?  Where is the best place to find used AERO listings in the United States? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The good news is that you do live in the right place. Seattle is home to the largest RS Aero fleet in North America so, in theory, it should have the best availability of used Aeros.

The bad news (for buyers) is that the RS Aero is a relatively new boat so there aren't any boats in NA older than three years, there aren't many used boats for sale yet, and there is a strong demand for used boats. So I will be surprised if you can find one with an asking price as low as $4,000 right now.

Used Aeros can be found from time ot time in the RS Aero Class North America Facebook group, on Craigslist, and on the "For Sale and Wanted" section of the forum on the RS Aero International Class website. https://www.rsaerosailing.org/index.asp?p=forum&fid=9.

But I think your best bet would be to contact the Seattle fleet and see if anyone there is looking to sell a used Aero. (PM me if you need a contact there.)

The 26 sailors entered in the RS Aero Midwinters at Palm Beach SC in Florida last weekend were met with winds of 40 knots on Friday (so no sailing during the clinic), and gusts into the mid-30s on Saturday. Sunday dawned sunny and warm, with the breeze a smidge south of East allowing easy launching into Lake Worth for 5 races in 10-20+ knot breeze...

Check out Marc Jacobi's "colorful" regatta report,  photos, video and results on the class website at https://www.rsaerosailing.org/index.asp?p=results&rid=3415

RS AERO FLORIDA STATE CHAMPS - US Sailing Center, Jensen Beach, Florida, USA, February 2-4 

Charter boats - last couple still available. Grab yourself a charter and some last minute winter sun. Fly in Friday morning! 
Contact Marc Jacobi; usa@rsaerosailing.org

Last weekend's NA Midwinters are in the books and the fleet heads north to Jensen Beach where the scoreboard starts afresh for the Florida State Champs!

Everyone will have had a chance to recover from the breezy days at Palm Beach and travellers able to see the sights and play tourists!

Friday 2nd is a clinic day, with racing 3-4th.

The Florida State Champs are Round 3 of the RS Aero North American Winter Series, made up of 5 events - one each month from December to April at top Florida sailing venues! Sailors will count their best 3 events from those 5 regattas for their overall series result.

Event Page linking to Online Registration, Entry List and Notice of Race

FloridaStates.jpg

Does anyone have a good explanation why the Aero, which has mid boom sheeting, has the transom blocked by honeycomb (which makes reboarding over the stern after capsize more difficult), and The Melges 14 (which looks like a risk for strangulation on the bridle if you were trying reboard from the stern) is open?

11 minutes ago, Amati said:

Does anyone have a good explanation why the Aero, which has mid boom sheeting, has the transom blocked by honeycomb (which makes reboarding over the stern after capsize more difficult), and The Melges 14 (which looks like a risk for strangulation on the bridle if you were trying reboard from the stern) is open?

The story I heard was that the folk at RS Sailing believed that a dinghy with an open transom wouldn't sell well in North America. Not sure where they got that idea.

I guess those honeycomb drain thingies on the Aero might make reboarding over the transom after a capsize a little more difficult, but personally (as an unfit near-septuagenarian) I don't find it at all difficult. I push the stern down, grab hold off the hiking strap and just heave myself in.

3 minutes ago, tillerman said:

The story I heard was that the folk at RS Sailing believed that a dinghy with an open transom wouldn't sell well in North America. Not sure where they got that idea.

I guess those honeycomb drain thingies on the Aero might make reboarding over the transom after a capsize a little more difficult, but personally (as an unfit near-septuagenarian) I don't find it at all difficult. I push the stern down, grab hold off the hiking strap and just heave myself in.

Is the honeycomb flexible?  Like if you put a knee on it?  Any damage to skin or Farmer John scraping over it?

11 minutes ago, Amati said:

Is the honeycomb flexible?  Like if you put a knee on it?  Any damage to skin or Farmer John scraping over it?

The black frame supporting the honeycomb is stiff and very strong.  Never had any damage to myself, my clothes, or the boat from coming in over the transom after a capsize.

But I do always take care not to put any of my weight on the tiller. 

On 30 January 2018 at 4:18 AM, Orca Research said:

There is a used RS Aero for sale in Seattle details here; https://www.rsaerosailing.org/index.asp?p=forum&fid=9&tid=7930

Still $7k, but with 2 rigs and trailer. Possibly little used.

RS AERO FLORIDA STATE CHAMPS - US Sailing Center, Jensen Beach, Florida - February 2-4

Marc Jacobi, Hank Saurage and Julie Willis won the RS Aero 9, 7 and 5 fleets respectively at the Florida State Champs - leg 3 of the RS Aero Florida Winter Series.

Full report and photos at
http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/201840/RS-Aero-Florida-State-Championships

Results at http://www.regattanetwork.com/event/15615#_newsroom

I am a heavyweight - 225lb/102kg. For *recreational* purposes only, would an Aero 9 be viable? I am really attracted to the cartopping and light weight because I sail alone (at least as a dinghy sailor) and don't have easy trailer access to the lake, so I have to manhandle everything myself single-handed. My existing situation is launching from a marina, but it's a blind corner on ingres and egress with a tiny landing area that I sometimes have to handbrake turn into. It's white knuckling every time and it stresses me out so I'm looking for an alternative.

31 minutes ago, finn-ish said:

I am a heavyweight - 225lb/102kg. For *recreational* purposes only, would an Aero 9 be viable? I am really attracted to the cartopping and light weight because I sail alone (at least as a dinghy sailor) and don't have easy trailer access to the lake, so I have to manhandle everything myself single-handed. My existing situation is launching from a marina, but it's a blind corner on ingres and egress with a tiny landing area that I sometimes have to handbrake turn into. It's white knuckling every time and it stresses me out so I'm looking for an alternative.

Absolutely, an RS Aero 9 wold be viable for you.

Check out the YouTube channel of this guy who sails an RS Aero 9 recreationally and admits to being 230 lbs. 

On 2/6/2018 at 3:24 AM, tillerman said:

The black frame supporting the honeycomb is stiff and very strong.  Never had any damage to myself, my clothes, or the boat from coming in over the transom after a capsize.

But I do always take care not to put any of my weight on the tiller. 

It is OK for all us guys sailing at the seaside!  When launching into weedy rivers and lakes like the River Thames, the rear flaps prevent the boat filling up with weeds and worse!

• Like 1

On 2/9/2018 at 11:35 AM, finn-ish said:

Your weight is not a problem. I'm the dude in the video above, and - honestly - i'm actually pushing 235 lbs in that video. The nice thing is that if you're a *FIT* 225, then you won't ever need the 7 or 5 rig. With that weight, and after becoming sufficiently acquainted with the boat, you can handle the Aero 9 just fine in up to 35 mph winds. Jibing the Aero 9 in 35 mph as a big dude is still a major challenge, but if you're willing to either capsize or chicken-jibe, you won't ever need another rig. On the capsizing front, the boat  pops right back up so easily as soon as you even start a chin-up on the gunwale, even in big winds. So, lots of benefits to being an Aero big boy! In this video, winds were about 25-30 mph. Still *SUPER* easy to recover from capsize using that big-boy body weight.  

• Like 1

Good point.

I had always thought that the flaps were to keep stuff in, a

MASSAPOAG YC (SHARON MA) SMALL BOAT REGATTA JUNE 2 - for RS Aeros (and other boats.)

Notice of Race is now posted for the Small Boat Regatta at Massapoag YC on June 2 - two weeks today. Only $45 (with a discount for juniors) for a day of RS Aero racing including breakfast before racing, a snack at lunch, and a barbecue after racing. 

Come and celebrate the 4th year of RS Aeros at this historic event, the first ever Aero regatta in North America east of the Continental Divide - and some say still the best.

12 Aeros are already registered. Charter boats are still available - contact Marc Jacobi at USA@rsaerosailing.org

NOR and online registration can be found at the link below.

http://www.regattanetwork.com/event/15985#_home

On 5/19/2018 at 12:06 PM, tillerman said:

MASSAPOAG YC (SHARON MA) SMALL BOAT REGATTA JUNE 2 - for RS Aeros (and other boats.)

Notice of Race is now posted for the Small Boat Regatta at Massapoag YC on June 2 - two weeks today. Only $45 (with a discount for juniors) for a day of RS Aero racing including breakfast before racing, a snack at lunch, and a barbecue after racing.