Editor

rs aero

6 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

i have no idea how to go straight downwind... or if that is ever a good idea. 

Marc Jacobi (current RS Aero 9 World Champion) is threatening to run a clinic on downwind sail settings and techniques for the RS Aero at Newport on July 6 before the Newport Regatta on July 7/8.

Charter RS Aeros for the regatta and clinic are available. 

http://events.eventzilla.net/e/rs-aero-charter-at-the-newport-regatta-2138962724

Threatening.... i like that choice of terms 

I still haven’t dumped the thing . It seems it is  forgiving of all sins  if you just let go of the  mainsheet and sit  in the cockpit 

i have done a couple 360 turns after missing the tiller while attempting a planing gybe. 

It  isn’t a boat problem. It is a big old fat guy trying to get across a boat while holding a mainsheet, attempting to switch tiller hands, and stepping on the mainsheet tail so the mainsheet hand is suddenly restricted 

wheeeeeeeeeeeee!!

• Like 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Gouvernail said:

Threatening.... i like that choice of terms 

I still haven’t dumped the thing . It seems it is  forgiving of all sins  if you just let go of the  mainsheet and sit  in the cockpit 

i have done a couple 360 turns after missing the tiller while attempting a planing gybe. 

It  isn’t a boat problem. It is a big old fat guy trying to get across a boat while holding a mainsheet, attempting to switch tiller hands, and stepping on the mainsheet tail so the mainsheet hand is suddenly restricted 

wheeeeeeeeeeeee!!

Hey Gouv.  Nice to hear you found a boat and fleet that brings you joy.  Best of luck with it and hope you keep sharing your thoughts about its sailing characteristics versus the Laser.

Gouv, you know me, the world champ of caps, didn't dump one either until went out in 30, it went over so fast on a reach, spit me out to windward and spun around so fast, whole thing lasted 6 seconds, back in boat and off!

• Like 1

I agree that the boat is rather forgiving. Never having sailed one, I was allowed to take one out at Wildwinds (Vasiliki, Greece) in winds gusting to 15 (at least). It must have been  a horrible sight seeing me mismanage the boat. Lost control once, but never capsized. The reaches were wonderful, but wet!

I have lost count but I have sailed the boat almost every day but Wednesday and missed only a couple evenings. 

Maybe the number of two to three hour rides is ten

i finally found some lightweight sneakers with soles that Grip well. Those help a lot. Sailing barefoot didn’t work as I was constantly concerned about ripping skin off my feet. In fact I did do a number on the side of one foot. 

I wore knee pads one time they bothered me . I don’t slide my knees around and generally prefer to be on my feet or sitting . ....  except when one knee down feels right. 

It took a while to get comfortable with S curving down waves and I need to go to the coast and work on that in real waves. I suspect the fastest trip downwind is the lowest you can sail without falling off plane. It certainly leaps forward when it decides to plane  and I am certain a lot of  distance can be gained by getting a little extra planing to occur. 

It wont be long until sailing alone starts having diminishing returns. I really need to get next to somebody so we can try things and see what works. 

Last: jumping on the Laser for the Wednesday night races has been interesting.

***It is a lousy analogy but it feels a lot like steering a J-24 after steering a J-22. Each is a wonderful responsive sailing toy. I have sailed hundreds of races steering a J-24 but only a few dozen J-22 races. The bigger heavier boat is the one where, because of my years of experience,  I am totally at home but I like driving the lightweight one better. ****

summary: Just as not all J-24 sailors would jump to  the J-22 and just as the J-24 game is more established ,

the other part of the comparison is, lots of Laser sailors would simply love Sailing an AERO and with six billion people on the planet, there can be huge fleets of each boat. 

• Like 2