Editor

rs aero

Whats with the Olympic obsession with some people? I think the classes that the Olympics allow are the most BORING ever to watch, save for the 49er. Nothing against lasers and the other classes but I cant ever be arsed to watch any events....because its so boring, to me anyway.

I cannot understand for the life of me why some of the more interesting classes are not introduced. Musto Skiffs have been around for a while, What about some Foilers as they are here to stay.

Then there was some hassle over allowing Kitesurfing over Windsurfing...WTF is going on? allow both categories for heavens sake.

Whats with the Olympic obsession with some people? I think the classes that the Olympics allow are the most BORING ever to watch, save for the 49er. Nothing against lasers and the other classes but I cant ever be arsed to watch any events....because its so boring, to me anyway.

I cannot understand for the life of me why some of the more interesting classes are not introduced. Musto Skiffs have been around for a while, What about some Foilers as they are here to stay.

Then there was some hassle over allowing Kitesurfing over Windsurfing...WTF is going on? allow both categories for heavens sake.

...yeh,,the oly-melee :mellow:

...in choice of classes,,I suppose the decision makers have different categories such as light-guy SHer,,,ape-man dinghy,,gal-boat,,,etc. A trap SHer would be a nice category and would be a nice way to add excitement to SHers,,,

.......but then there's the limitation on how many classes,,,and politics of course

..fwiw**,,,I agree that trap-dinghies and K'boards would add some appeal

.........** about nothing! :mellow:

...yeh,,the oly-melee :mellow:

...in choice of classes,,I suppose the decision makers have different categories such as light-guy SHer,,,ape-man dinghy,,gal-boat,,,etc. A trap SHer would be a nice category and would be a nice way to add excitement to SHers,,,

.......but then there's the limitation on how many classes,,,and politics of course

..fwiw**,,,I agree that trap-dinghies and K'boards would add some appeal

.........** about nothing! :mellow:

I think the sailing Olympics should have a class where you have to build it first. Maybe weave the cloth for the sails too. And sail it from your home country to the host venue.

xcellent pics, really show the boat well. Thanks !!

FB- Doug

sometimes you can tell when some people just blat about on boats rather than do much racing. Your views are shared extensively amongst friends and acquaintances of mine who primarily windsurf, or kite surf. Other friends who race boats found the footage from Weymouth on the Finn, 470, Star, Laser Radial etc some of the best media coverage the sport of sailboat racing has ever seen.

What is even more remarkable is that many of us formed an opinion that fast boats would actually be 'crap' viewing after that - slow = more tactical etc. After all the 49er coverage was the lamest show going in Weymouth, and despite the obvious hilarity of the Qingdao medal race, it was a complete lottery that didn't really do justice to the 4 year campaign of some of the world's best yachtsmen.

But then along came the AC... in foiling cats. That was a perception changer again.... so sailing's in a pretty cool place right now, fast and slow boats proving tactical racing is still tactical racing. Something this boat, at this price, could offer in spades for many sailors across the world.

As for the Aero and Olympics, I wish the guys at RS well with that if that's their ultimate objective, but as Martin alluded to, that's not necessarily something they would wander into without some serious consideration given past experiences. Besides on another forum, they've been quite clear that the target is not to 'replace the Laser', but if we the punters like the looks of something fresher and more modern, and the Laser fails to implement that long overdue overhaul due some legal spat, then if they snooze, they could lose and the legal fees would be for nothing but a legacy.... and we'd probably all be better off for it.

Sorry, bad grammar.....

No Aero at Strictly Sail Pacific for April 2014. You can bet there will be one for 2015.

Phil and I are flying to UK next month to take two of them out sailing. We'll have goPros straped to Phil's head :)

--

RS is working on pre-order launch programs for North America right now.

I have heard the pricing will be very attractive on the first few hundred boats.

George, can't wait to see the vids, and thx for all you guys do, wish you/I were closer. Maybe I'll see ya at worlds in San Fran in Sept.

RS is working on pre-order launch programs for North America right now.

......programming the launch!!??........

....so it's both propelled AND computerized!?!!......sounds powerful indeed!!! :blink::rolleyes:

lovely pics... but HOW HARD IS IT TO PUSH THE VIDEO RECORD BUTTON?!? It's harder to find a camera that WON'T film than one that does, nowadays!

sorry... I really like this boat, but c'mon, let's see some video of it. GoPro ideally, but even a shaky smartphone vid will do now.

lovely pics... but HOW HARD IS IT TO PUSH THE VIDEO RECORD BUTTON?!? It's harder to find a camera that WON'T film than one that does, nowadays!

sorry... I really like this boat, but c'mon, let's see some video of it. GoPro ideally, but even a shaky smartphone vid will do now.

It's about building the hype.

You want to launch the boat with some good footage showing what the boat can do.

That was the MXNext's problem here- footage got posted, but it didn't show how fast the boat was or whether or not it could do what they claimed.

In 2014 video is part of the basic work that a company launching a product needs to do. I'd fire any marketing person that doesn't have video as part of their product launch effort. If anyone in 2014 focuses more on brochures and ads than video and social media, they should not be allowed to make any marketing decisions, period.

As for the MXNext, other than the stupid music they put on all their vids, I actually like their approach. I'd take a spin on that thing, for sure.

I wonder if any of the experts pontificating on RS' marketing has ever sold 1% of the dinghies that RS has?

I wonder if any of the experts pontificating on RS' marketing has ever sold 1% of the dinghies that RS has?

....or have any employees on th'payroll :mellow:<_<

...or have boat bux saved up

talk-action=....a big ZERO

Latest MX next video shows promise, but still looks a bit bouncy like the old one, ie, wpb doesn't seem to do enough, needs more length, imho, still will withhold final judgment until I sail one, just sayin.

sometimes you can tell when some people just blat about on boats rather than do much racing. Your views are shared extensively amongst friends and acquaintances of mine who primarily windsurf, or kite surf. Other friends who race boats found the footage from Weymouth on the Finn, 470, Star, Laser Radial etc some of the best media coverage the sport of sailboat racing has ever seen.

What is even more remarkable is that many of us formed an opinion that fast boats would actually be 'crap' viewing after that - slow = more tactical etc. After all the 49er coverage was the lamest show going in Weymouth, and despite the obvious hilarity of the Qingdao medal race, it was a complete lottery that didn't really do justice to the 4 year campaign of some of the world's best yachtsmen.

But then along came the AC... in foiling cats. That was a perception changer again.... so sailing's in a pretty cool place right now, fast and slow boats proving tactical racing is still tactical racing. Something this boat, at this price, could offer in spades for many sailors across the world.

As for the Aero and Olympics, I wish the guys at RS well with that if that's their ultimate objective, but as Martin alluded to, that's not necessarily something they would wander into without some serious consideration given past experiences. Besides on another forum, they've been quite clear that the target is not to 'replace the Laser', but if we the punters like the looks of something fresher and more modern, and the Laser fails to implement that long overdue overhaul due some legal spat, then if they snooze, they could lose and the legal fees would be for nothing but a legacy.... and we'd probably all be better off for it.

+1

I'm sure the pro marketing campaign is underway, which will include some video no doubt- they produced a fantastic training video for the 100 when it was launched with one of the best regarded dinghy coaches in the UK - Mark Rushall.

Those pics (not mine, the link is nicked from the Y&Y forum) are from a stander-by at the demo at Northampton Sailing Club.

I don't think we can teabag RS for crap marketing, they seem to do an alright job at it to me.....

(and cheers Bruno!)

I'm sure the pro marketing campaign is underway, which will include some video no doubt- they produced a fantastic training video for the 100 when it was launched with one of the best regarded dinghy coaches in the UK - Mark Rushall.

Those pics (not mine, the link is nicked from the Y&Y forum) are from a stander-by at the demo at Northampton Sailing Club.

I don't think we can teabag RS for crap marketing, they seem to do an alright job at it to me.....

(and cheers Bruno!)

Never did, I think RS are some of the best in the business at that, I can't remember if they've ever made a dud.

Couchsurfer, Not Growing Up -etal +1.

I will add, IMHO, foils have place, but are not central to sailing and in fact may be detrimental to it generally...More is not better either.

As mem serves, the Laser was originally designed and marketed as a low-priced competitor to the wildly popular Sunfish...if the Aero's aura is similar (and Performance or whatever it is called now keeps not performing) Laser will fade, as it maybe should, as already noted.

But then I am ancient mariner and have some baggage in that area...I still think the old Interclub is a better boat than the Laser...(I did have a Laser, for a bit, however...'twas cheap rig and, frankly, not to my taste...and I corrected my mistake, again my view, and never looked back.)

Looks quick in a blow, but I guess anything with enough wind looks fast with all the splashing.

I noticed the 3 rig sizes, assuming the conditions were stable all day, it looks like different rigs will definitely suit different sailors.

Concern from the photos: the one photo of a capsized boat looks like it floats really high. Is it still easy to climb onto the board, or is it going to be a struggle for somebody who's not quite fit? Also how easily/fast will it go to full turtle? In ponds and shallow lakes that can be a day ruining experience (from getting the sail mucky or even snapping the rig).

Looks quick in a blow, but I guess anything with enough wind looks fast with all the splashing.

I noticed the 3 rig sizes, assuming the conditions were stable all day, it looks like different rigs will definitely suit different sailors.

Concern from the photos: the one photo of a capsized boat looks like it floats really high. Is it still easy to climb onto the board, or is it going to be a struggle for somebody who's not quite fit? Also how easily/fast will it go to full turtle? In ponds and shallow lakes that can be a day ruining experience (from getting the sail mucky or even snapping the rig).

Now, I might say those are excellent questions...kind of things that define the real market?

Have on good authortiy that proper sailing videos will be released in a week or two.

Expect them to be well done as RS does quite a bit of proper marketing (even if they haven't been on it right at launch here, they are very busy!).

Also hearing through the grapevine that US launch pricing on the first few hundred boats will start with a $6,_____

Not official yet, but should be confirmed and announced very shortly.

Yes this is a concern... I have become a not-very-enthusiastic user of mast head floaties. It can help solve the mast-stuck-in-mud problem but it's nice to have a boat that doesn't spin to turtle instantly. And one you can grab the CB/DB

IIRC Bruce Kirby designed the Pixel with good capsize characteristics in mind, I think the Vanguard Nomad was done this way too, the boat needs flood-able chambers to move the center of buoyancy and bring the centerline lower to the water.

Have on good authortiy that proper sailing videos will be released in a week or two.

Expect them to be well done as RS does quite a bit of proper marketing (even if they haven't been on it right at launch here, they are very busy!).

Also hearing through the grapevine that US launch pricing on the first few hundred boats will start with a $6,_____

Not official yet, but should be confirmed and announced very shortly.

Hmm, at that price they should be able to sell quite a few. Sign me up!

FB- Doug

Interesting note...I refurbished an ancient (73) Kite dinghy, which is a very hot wee boat at 11 feet-6 and the goofy winds here can veer 90 to 180 degrees in a second, and do so frequently, so I end up wet a lot...the boat is essentially unsinkable and floats high as designed...no inkling of going turtle...with orig spruce mast or the carbon AL replacement.

But, when down, I can raiser the boat with one pinky...seriously. One finger on the dagger tip and up she comes...but her high rails or deck make the getting back in a devilish prop...better be quick, Jack.

Anyway, just an observation...below is pic to give idea...That said, I hope the Aero sells like donuts-and is easy to reboard as it looks-makes a diff in the fun.

post-38311-0-47465300-1394741571_thumb.jpg

I was coaching the other day and at the end of the day watching everyone pull their boats out, I noted there was one boat built after the 70's. The rest were before. Lasers Finns, Etchells... There are vast improvements that can be made to each of these, so maybe its time.

I got approached by some sailors, they have a group of 7 they all had big boats and struggled with crew and they had decided were all going to get lasers. I suggested they would be much happier with a bunch of these or the Dzero.

If RS want a video done, send me a boat, I am willing to help.

Interclub...and never look back...Lasers...forgetaboutit...Aero...remains to be seen. Interclub is not a wet sail either.

I lover my dry and rather got little Kite dinghy but wish there had been an Interclub available...

Pick your flotsam.

post-38311-0-01644200-1394798764_thumb.jpg

post-38311-0-04173200-1394799332_thumb.jpg

post-38311-0-72421300-1394799500_thumb.jpg

Interclub...and never look back................

I lover my .......... little Kite dinghy but wish there had been an Interclub available...

Pick your flotsam.

.......I can't think there was -anything- better for sailing than the 60's-70's and all the people who banged-together little 8' tubs and got on the water for very little $,,,,I'm not sure what happened from there--everything seemed to have gotten rather complicated

I lover my .......... little Kite dinghy but wish there had been an Interclub available...

Pick your flotsam.

.......I can't think there was -anything- better for sailing than the 60's-70's and all the people who banged-together little 8' tubs and got on the water for very little $,,,,I'm not sure what happened from there--everything seemed to have gotten rather complicated

Corporate bullshidt....asshats like Jacobs and firms like Brunswick which did not have a clue, nor cared...bought and sold most boat outfits out of existence.

Pick your flotsam.

Corporate bullshidt....asshats like Jacobs and firms like Brunswick which did not have a clue, nor cared...bought and sold most boat outfits out of existence.

..oh,,and a boat called 'laser' came along--only ~1.5x the cost of an 8' homebuild at the time,,

...one of the first boats aligned to mass production.......reasonably decent performance but a trade-off to production ,marketing simplicity

......rather changed the marketplace :mellow:

Well, for some mono beachers, it was a choice between a Sunfish (AMF?) and Laser...no one wanted to buy a trailer and dink around...cartop or beach much preferred...then Performance got into it and virtually pulled the rug out, in the last few years...and here we are...

And guess what boats have appeal...as we noted...and not so spendy either...

Looks like some more pictures are circulating of the boat sailing.

Assume video close behind.

North American pre-launch info should be available soon too.

--

Yeah, I'm biased since I sell these things, but, I'm pretty excited about the boat in general the more I find out about it.

Looks like some more pictures are circulating of the boat sailing.

Assume video close behind.

North American pre-launch info should be available soon too.

--

Yeah, I'm biased since I sell these things, but, I'm pretty excited about the boat in general the more I find out about it.

I was younger and into that venue, I would be on one quicker than you can say "Lasers will languish." Very well conceived new wet-mono. I now prefer boats I can stand on...

Cupholders are for panzys, need beer bandolier, works on my IC!

?

Do you mean the bits that will stop the mainsheet going out the back but let the water out?

I should think they'll largely stop the water coming in when you go to the back to mess about with the rudder after launching/recovering.

....no more kicking the back of cockpit to bail ---REVOLUTION!!!!

........................ a bright future indeed! :)

That's a top hinged bit of thin plastic that rests against a honeycomb grill when closed but flaps open if there is water on board to let it out.

That's a top hinged bit of thin plastic that rests against a honeycomb grill when closed but flaps open if there is water on board to let it out.

I figured they were transom flaps but the honeycomb-pattern confused me... Fair enough.

If you check your boat off the ramp at the right/wrong angle with no transom and get a load of water in it will be very unstable until it drains out. Those flaps will stop it and the honeycomb will stop stuff going up and make the flaps more resilient.

When you get the boat suck head to wind and blow backwards, especially in a big sea, it can fill up and then become very unstable. Often happens when recovering from a capsize. Those flaps will stop that being a problem.

really? You reckon there's enough volume in that cockpit for it to become an issue?

If its 'unstable' after a capsize, when the cockpit is full, then the design has bigger issues... and I don't believe it does.

Can't really believe that there would be more than a teacup in the cockpit after a capsize. Especially with the published weight.

I didn't say it had water after the capsize. I said it could get water in after it started going backwards in big conditions before you got hold of the wand. At which point you're back to square one.

But fuck it, I'm sure you're all right and they're all wrong.

Euro Bloke...Ed and Duncan are not being argumentative, I kinda wondered the same thing...the water, one would think, as little as it might be is weight , and likely will push the hull lower...unstable, to me, is tippy, which seems illogical is all. Might be a misinterpretation and can be solved with experience...

Frankly, even though I am now an outrigger/proa fan, I think the boat is ingenious, as I implied earlier. I am waiting for someone to offer an app and velcro etc, to set phone in it to lead the way...boat fits the modern trending there...

I wonder how much really would get into the boat drifting slowly backwards after being recovered from a capsize, and how long it would really stick around once the boat isn't drifting backwards (if there's something I'm sure they got right on the cockpit design it would be quick to drain). I have no doubt the transom flaps will help and the honeycomb behind them will help their longevity, but how necessary they are remains to be seen. Wonder if they are stuck in there or if they can be removed (it seems that those gaps in the transom would be an ideal way of getting back in the boat post-capsize if they were clear)...

Why bother with transom flaps when the floor is 4" above the keel?

Who cares if water gets in when you're faffing around the stern getting off the shore?

If you're winter sailing in the UK, Europe or parts of North America, you may definitely care - getting even a bit of cold water in the boat can make sailing less pleasant on light wind days when it's otherwise comparatively warm. We notice it even in Canberra in the winter.

I was coaching the other day and at the end of the day watching everyone pull their boats out, I noted there was one boat built after the 70's. The rest were before. Lasers Finns, Etchells... There are vast improvements that can be made to each of these, so maybe its time.

Looking at it from another angle - if almost everyone you saw was sailing designs made in the '70s, maybe it indicates that those boats still work very, very well?

The Aero does look very nice, though.

i like it, however to me the Dacron sail gives the impression the rigs underdone compared say a d one or rooster rig, even compared to rs 100.

Is that a newer version than the one at the show - the kicker seems to be led to a single swivel near the daggerboard rather than split out to the sides. I think that is better as it looks like it would be easier to pull on from there. Just a couple of observations a. There is still hardly any photos or video of it going upwind (about half a second in that video) b. does the way the blocks are tied on near the mast base mean that when towing/roof racking those pullies will bounce up and down on the deck and chip away at the gelcoat? I appreciate that mean like an anal question, but it's these real world things that matter.

Looking at it from another angle - if almost everyone you saw was sailing designs made in the '70s, maybe it indicates that those boats still work very, very well?

The Aero does look very nice, though.

Not really mate, its more about what everyone else is sailing I think and YA's focus on Olympic classes.

Where I think this could be successful is older people who don't want to go to the Olympics in the laser and don't want to pull a finn up the beach at the end of the day. I don't know if it will take off, but I like it so far and I have always preferred Luca's stuff to RS's.

Also I am not anti old boats. My favourite design still, is over 50 years old.

I like the Aero, but I like me Kite dinghy more, wood spars and all...but it is only a 73.

post-38311-0-69942200-1395400559_thumb.jpg

Is this like a windup thread one reads on an auto forum about a new celica & folks note that a datto180B actually has similar functionality?

Ye'll get no frets from this dodger.

ok, launch pricing has been finalized and (in North America at least), you should see pre-order and deposit information next week.

It might be 9-10 months away, but I've already got customers who want to put down deposits, so I think this is the real deal.

Is this like a windup thread one reads on an auto forum about a new celica & folks note that a datto180B actually has similar functionality?

No, more like "that RS is nice but I like sandwiches, and kittens"

Who cares if water gets in when you're faffing around the stern getting off the shore?

Assuming the false floor is as low as possible for ergonomic reasons then water coming in the back whilst roll tacking in light airs can be an issue. Last year I was sailing an antique Moth that I'm really about thirty pounds too heavy for, (old enough to have cockpit, but young enough to be open stern/self draining) and it could be a real struggle to keep the boat dry.

Dinghy transoms are there to keep the beer (cans) in...duh! No wonder you dodgers don't have as much fun on the water, as some of us do.

Dinghy transoms are there to keep the beer (cans) in...duh! No wonder you dodgers don't have as much fun on the water, as some of us do.

Know dat's right, used to have that problem on my J18,and Mx, now on the AC, have to wear them on a bandolier or in small flat cooler to fit under seat, and lash to main cleat so they don't leave me when I capsize!

Assuming the false floor is as low as possible for ergonomic reasons then water coming in the back whilst roll tacking in light airs can be an issue. Last year I was sailing an antique Moth that I'm really about thirty pounds too heavy for, (old enough to have cockpit, but young enough to be open stern/self draining) and it could be a real struggle to keep the boat dry.

Jim.. and Chris.. I understand now.

I'm afraid I'm spolit by 15+C winter water temperatures.. didn't consider the frozen-toe aspects.

Know dat's right, used to have that problem on my J18,and Mx, now on the AC, have to wear them on a bandolier or in small flat cooler to fit under seat, and lash to main cleat so they don't leave me when I capsize!

....yeh,,gone are th'days of bottle-weight-jackets

...I miss those daze :mellow:

Genius dodgers thinking alike, in different places, together. Youser, youser! : ) We get it!

Speaking as an old Laser sailor, l like it! But to me, the leech of the sail looks a bit shorter than it needs to be......and I've yet to see even a still shot (let alone video) of it sheeted all the way in, going upwind. Why is that, I wonder??

Also, the RS blurb says something about it not being possible to use modern laminates for the sail, due to the bendy rig (!). What about modern Finn sails etc.? I don't buy it, and I think the boat deserves a modern, laminate sail. Just my 2 cents.

Am curious...how can one tell leech (roach) from pic and how can that be matched to hull as it goes?

I had a Laser too (once) now a-lolligagging in ancient Kite dinghy, cause I am fat, older and lazy-except when the Kite flops and I have to climb back board...old.

Also, the RS blurb says something about it not being possible to use modern laminates for the sail, due to the bendy rig (!). What about modern Finn sails etc.? I don't buy it, and I think the boat deserves a modern, laminate sail. Just my 2 cents.

I'm not a sailmaker, but I've been told, the carbon spars are not coming from the usual manufacturers.

It's conceivable to me that the spars are bendy/whippy enough where a high quality dacron sail will fit the bend better than mylar/laminate.

Also, dacron sails *typically* are less expensive.

--

For a boat designed for a lot of people to enjoy, keeping the price down would be a reasonable goal. You could get the RS100 if you want the full tech program.

I don't know if sail design is finalized yet or if material choice is confirmed... but, they've been testing it on the water for a few years now, so I assume they have done the analysis on what material works best.

Again, just what I've been told. Martin, Alex or Riki know the reasons why.

.......... they've been testing it on the water for a few years now,........

.....ahh,,that makes me feel a bit better--was thinking it was a little winter project :mellow:

How much are Finn sails (and masts) tuned to each individual sailor's weight?

Finn and Aero in same breath...my o my...Finns are really not that difficult to tune...at least they were not a few years ago, well, maybe 10, but they were a bear to sail to spec, as I recall.

I just do not remember the cost being that high to find a needle, boom and step. But good observation Ed and funk. Not quite the same boat, though.

The Aero mast will be made by one of the world's largest suppliers of windsurfer masts...and fishing rods. They buy carbon and "do" quality tubes in volume and with high level consistency. The spars have been developed with them to provide the stiffness characteristics we want. We've been through multiple versions, adding and removing carbon (stiffness) before arriving at the spec the development guys and sailmakers are happy with.

The aim is to produce a highly adjustable rig, that will allow a wide weight band to compete. Leading small boat sailmakers on both sides of the Atlantic are adamant that a Dacron sail will perform best. Personally, I've argued for a Dacron / Mylar combi sail for an easier sell - but we're pretty determined that form should follow function on this boat - not lead it.That's how to make the simplicity actually work. As has been said, Finn rigs (for example) are quite specific to sailor weight and they are actually pretty stiff - "hinging" at deck level but relatively stiff above - so Mylar works fine for them.

Absolutely promise to show more upwind video and photos.... photographers have been too excited by the downhill action! We've aimed to keep the boom high enough for civilised tacks and gybes, but of course when you see it all vanged up upwind, it is lower at the back than when reaching.

RS has rolled out North American launch pricing of $6,940 for a complete RS Aero.

(Limited to the first 200 boats).

I know there are customers in the US that have already put orders in since yesterday, so it's all happening.

--

The current order form is a mess, but RS is updating.

$500 reserves yours

http://rssailing.com/us/explore/us-rs-aero

So does that price include the shipping, duties, etc?

That's a really nice price for what looks like a sweet piece of gear.

Weymouth showed what a good venue and good coverage (commentating and camera work) can do for "average" sailing. The last Olympics was nice I recall the RSXs and the Lasers (yes the Lasers!) were cool to watch and the women's match race finals were far more interesting than the typical World Match Race BS I sometimes get to see because the conditions were good and a the production value was way higher than I expected. When you watch Olympians sail a typical 470, Laser etc around a race course you realize they're on a different level than your average weekend sailor.

Of course the classic quote was "They've made me angry" :)

That price hold, the boat does not falter, it should do very well-among the younger swabs and others...

I'm not up to date, but in NA, what does a new laser cost complete and delivered to your local dealer?

Great price

Yes - when comparing prices you have to take into consideration that a properly constructed boat is going to have a very long competitve life. You'll have to buy a new sail from time to time, but the hulls for a small single hander should be competitive for many years. This should improve resale values.

It's way overdue that we have a simple reasonably priced single hander with up to date construction.

For comparision on Laser Pricing (USA):

Laser 'Race' - $6065 + shipping to dealer

Laser 'XD' (carbon tiller, better hardware) - $6,545 + shipping to dealer.

So, yes, the Aero is a pretty epic value all things considered.

Again, I am not sure if the Aero competes with the Laser at this time, not sure that is RS's intention.

Test sailing the Aero in a few weeks at RS... heard some US journos might be invited too.....

For comparision on Laser Pricing (USA):

Laser 'Race' - $6065 + shipping to dealer

Laser 'XD' (carbon tiller, better hardware) - $6,545 + shipping to dealer.

So, yes, the Aero is a pretty epic value all things considered.

Again, I am not sure if the Aero competes with the Laser at this time, not sure that is RS's intention.

Test sailing the Aero in a few weeks at RS... heard some US journos might be invited too.....

While it may not intentionally be in competition, anyone looking at a laser for a fun toy will be looking at the aero too. For a racer looking for the laser one-design game it's not going to be an option, I agree...

Being a former Laser owner, I must humbly suggest that the value does not equal the cost...just my take, but I thought the boat was poor quality and dumped it first chance and never looked back.

A similar price for the Aero with carbon spars etc, seems reasonable, and great without Performance in the picture.