Editor

rs aero

where does this upwind planning come from?

Big rumor alarm!

Upwind "planing" doesn't exist for most of the boats that claim it--including the FD and 505. They exceed "hull speed" but are not actaually planing. This boat will do the same. Not really a big surprise. More power less weight. I'm sure the PUNK / D0 will do the same.

The elder of the two Irish test sailors, in the video shown above, says, at 18 seconds into the video: "It planes upwind....".

Is that true, Martin Wadhams??

Did that fellow just say it planes upwind???

That's what he said!

I would take that as Irish poetic license. Or perhaps it could be scientifically explained that cold water is denser and gives more lift, so the boat can plane upwind under certain exceptional conditions that you or I or 7070 will never be able to experience

;)

FB- Doug

... ...Perhaps the most remarkable achievement of the RS Aero is that despite being half the weight, built using epoxy resin and significant amounts of carbon fibre in the hull and all-carbon spars, the price will be close to that of a Laser.

Yeah

Because the Laser is such an outstandingly good deal.

<_<

Actually I'd love to see this RS-Aero and the D-Zero have a good chance to succeed. Price matters a lot, but also who/where it's brought in

FB- Doug

Considering the other 200k-plus Lasers and fleets everywhere that come with it, the Laser is an outstandingly good deal -- perhaps too good.

I'd love to see some of these others get traction, but in light of the above it may (still) be unlikely.

Another problem is that the new fleet member is more likely a $2000 used boat customer, where Lasers rule.

I hate to be a naysayer -- I'd be glad to own one of these and would prefer it to a Laser. This from someone who had grown a Laser out of his butt by age 12 and didn't have a Laserectomy 'til his mid-30s.

Considering the other 200k-plus Lasers and fleets everywhere that come with it, the Laser is an outstandingly good deal -- perhaps too good.

I'd love to see some of these others get traction, but in light of the above it may (still) be unlikely.

Another problem is that the new fleet member is more likely a $2000 used boat customer, where Lasers rule.

I hate to be a naysayer -- I'd be glad to own one of these and would prefer it to a Laser. This from someone who had grown a Laser out of his butt by age 12 and didn't have a Laserectomy 'til his mid-30s.

.....you bring up a relevant point in fleet-building.....if the boat's built -too- good,,,nobody replaces their boat,,,there's no low-cost boats for newcomers.....I call it the Tasar phenomena....in this region,Tasar's are reasonably popular--would have been quite a bit moreso if there had been more available. Boats are still going strong 30 years later with few mods!

............but I digress :mellow:

The right boat with the right manufacturer behind it, fleet development happens.

On the ground here in the UK. Aero test sailing Friday.

Couple more pre-orders for the boat came to use this weekend. There will be a coming out party for sure here. It's all happening.

Hey Martin - how much of this is a play for the 2020 Olympics? With the Laser so sloppy right now and years of litigation ahead, the question has gotta be asked, doesn't it?

Make it an Olympic class? Way to kill the class, even before it gets started.

Yeah, it's killed the Laser stone dead.

Actually, the laser is a Dead Man Walking.

That depends on where you live and sail. I barely see Lasers these days (at club level).

Yet 100 miles inland and they are booming at my old club- some argue to the detriment of everything else, even the Fireball stalwarts are unconsciously uncoupling and sailing them on Wednesday evenings.

As for the medium handicap fleet- where this new boat would sit, it barely raises more than one hands's worth of entries these days. Back in the day we'd have 20 or so + boats out in that fleet- anything from Phantoms, Finns, RS300s, Vareos, 200s etc Oddly enough, since the racing has on paper 'improved' - published results, returns to the RYA, timings actually being taken, average laps etc the participation has dropped off.... probably just a coincidence, but it does make me wonder whether the old handicap fleet was more of a group exercise activity, and better off in numbers for it.

Anyway I hate the feckin' things... rather not sail than sail a Laser, but it's hard to ignore the quality of the racing that's being dished out. The only viable alternative for active racing there is the Solo - I guess that's what's dominated in your neck of the woods Dogwatch?

Solos - yep. Lots of them. And Finns at the club next door.

Hey Martin - how much of this is a play for the 2020 Olympics? With the Laser so sloppy right now and years of litigation ahead, the question has gotta be asked, doesn't it?

Make it an Olympic class? Way to kill the class, even before it gets started.

Yeah, it's killed the Laser stone dead.

Actually, the laser is a Dead Man Walking.

Perhaps, but not because it's an Olympic class.

Considering the number of classes that come and go over, say, a 15 year period, the chance that the tiny percentage selected for Olympic use won't suffer the same fate is remote.

Upwind "planing" doesn't exist for most of the boats that claim it--including the FD and 505. They exceed "hull speed" but are not actaually planing. This boat will do the same. Not really a big surprise. More power less weight. I'm sure the PUNK / D0 will do the same.

I'm not sure I agree with that. That said I can't think of anything without a trapeeze or 'proper' wings like a B14 that does. There are a few other sitting out boats that have a fast low upwind mode in a decent breeze, but I'd agree that they're not planing.

Edit: I've no idea how light you'd have to build this thing and how effective the rig would need to be to make it plane upwind.

I'm not sure I agree with that. That said I can't think of anything without a trapeeze or 'proper' wings like a B14 that does. There are a few other sitting out boats that have a fast low upwind mode in a decent breeze, but I'd agree that they're not planing.

Edit: I've no idea how light you'd have to build this thing and how effective the rig would need to be to make it plane upwind.

well, i wouldn't bring it up..., except that they were disparaged earlier in this thread.., but my windsurfers plane upwind easily.

and perhaps it is relevant, since it was suggested that my insistence that i would buy one only if i could race it OD, ignored the possibility of just sailing it for fun.

my "fun sailing" involves planing upwind.., but i'll be very interested in the Aero when there is a viable OD fleet near me.

i currently race a laser, but i have no particular love for it.

well, i wouldn't bring it up..., except that they were disparaged earlier in this thread.., but my windsurfers plane upwind easily.

and perhaps it is relevant, since it was suggested that my insistence that i would buy one only if i could race it OD, ignored the possibility of just sailing it for fun.

my "fun sailing" involves planing upwind.., but i'll be very interested in the Aero when there is a viable OD fleet near me.

I'm with you, if I was going sailing just for fun I'd take my board. The only dinghy I can see myself sailing just for fun might be a foiling moth, but I think I'd probably want to go racing on that fairly soon too.

However a friend of mine has a deposit down on one of these 'just for fun sailing', so we're all different.

I've never owned a Laser but I have raced them a lot... you can easily guess I don't like them much

Planing upwind: it kind of depends on how you define "planing" but it also depends on VMG in pointing vs footing vs "planing"

https://flic.kr/p/nq5sRR

https://flic.kr/p/npM5XS

This is in fairly light air (just barely trapping) and some slop... you can see the stern wave is cresting several feet behind the boat. Obviously it is exceeding "hull speed" but the hull is generating little dynamic lift. Probably nobody would call this "full planing" but also the boat is not footing off much if any. IMHO most people would define "upwind planing" slightly differently, the question is how much speed thru the water the boat gains, and whether it exceeds hull speed by a noticable (dramatic?) amount, as you foot lower and lower.

For a few years I was racing a boat that had a quasi-planing upwind mode in the right conditions. This same boat planed dramatically off the wind, the stern wave disappeared and the wake was totally flat. Upwind, different story, the wake flattened out a bit but there was still a stern wave 3 or 4 feet behind the rudder and VMG was slightly faster than pointing mode. Of course, you had to hike like h@## to get the boat powered up enough to do this, but we know for a fact it worked because I broke thru other guys covering us upwind, and had to work hard to keep covering guys who had figured it out. In fact as this skill disseminated thru the fleet, we all played the game of "screw the leader" by some boats pointing and some boats "planing." Fun!

Bethwaite lays out the math for upwind planing fairly well, it's a matter of righting moment per pound of sailing weight. Traps and racks make it easier to cross the threshold. (edit to add) Windsurfers and kite boards cheat on this by using the sail to take weight off the hull, plus they start out much much lighter because they don't need the structure to support a "real sailboat" rig anyway.

Back to the Aero... I could easily believe the boat can achieve this "quasi-planing" upwind mode. Full-on skiff style upwind planing? Not so much

FB- Doug

Planes upwind?? Let's assume a little Irish poetic licence, born of enthusiasm. I'm sceptical in true VMG situation. I reckon if you crack off in the right conditions you'll get it to plane and you'd get to the top mark (at some point) with a smile...if you didn't mind someone else being there before you!

Interesting to have so much talk of windsurfing in the same thread - One of the other Irish guys who sailed last weekend was out for ages and commented that it wasn't since his early windsurfing days in the '80s that he'd kept saying to himself "just one more go" before coming ashore later than meant to.

I can confirm the Aero will be built in the UK. We do work with CMI in Thailand on many of our performance boats and are very happy with them. Aero has relatively few man hours build time, so there are benefits to UK manufacture with the partner we've chosen.

(edit to add) Windsurfers and kite boards cheat on this by using the sail to take weight off the hull,

FB- Doug

No body thinks this is a significant factor for windsurfing anymore

pretty much all sailboards are sailed with rigs nearly vertical, and any upward-directed force is trivial.

Kites are a different matter, as it is possible to generate significant upward force.., although the fastest speeds are generated with the upward force being pretty small.

(edit to add) Windsurfers and kite boards cheat on this by using the sail to take weight off the hull,

FB- Doug

pretty much all sailboards are sailed with rigs nearly vertical, and any upward-directed force is trivial.

Kites are a different matter, as it is possible to generate significant upward force.., although the fastest speeds are generated with the upward force being pretty small.

Ah so... the ones I see are probably lagging behind the times. Thanks... makes sense, since power used to lift is power that's not used to propel.

FB- Doug

The rigs are raked back for sure and maybe inclined slightly to windward at the bottom, but most of the rig is vertical. Once you've got enough power to be planing there's no reason to burn any pulling you any higher (unless you're launching yourself in the air)....

Back to the point of the thread, I want to hear everything. From how easy it to rig, how does it feel under sail, everything!

FB- Doug

There's a Windward heel thread that's a bit old but covers most aspects. The force on a sail is quite large, so leaning a rig to windward even a small amount (say 5°) will generate an appreciable amount of vertical lift. However, it's counterbalanced by the centreboard creating lift in the opposite direction (except where the fin and rig can be canted in opposite directions so both create lift).

A topic that could do with some serious investigation. Pressure in Nm2 for various wind speeds is given here.

Phil and I sailed aeros all day yesterday in a variety of conditions from 6-14kts and calm to 1-2foot waves. We tried all the rigs and took a metric ton of footage both on board the boat via go pro, from a rib and RS was kind enough to have a drone there in the afternoon as well.

Lots of upwind work, lots of tacks (one capsize in the 9). Then lots of downwind, both reaching and dead down runs.

Flying back to states tomorrow.

I'm writing up a full report over the next week as footage gets sorted through as well.

I took pages and pages of notes and spent a lot of the day talking to Alex, who is RS's technical guy.

To not be a total tease: the boat was quite different than I expected.

Once I got over that, it was, perhaps ultimately similar to the feel of driving a go kart after years of driving a muscle car. It was both precise and crisp in response to control and kinetic inputs. It comes to life as you forget some old habits.

I've sailed a lot of boats and tried a lot of models over the years. I've heard lots of promises and marketing messages.

I just haven't quite sailed something like this before. That doesn't mean it was the greatest boat ever and I'm not selling anything else, just means there isn't much to compare it to.

I am quite confident there isn't anything like it in the US. Worldwide, I'm less sure, but I've certainly not aware of anything like it aside from the new devoti boat (don't know anything about that, although I've spent some hours in the d-one testing back to back with an RS-100, so I'm no stranger to the different design philosophies of both companies).

That said:

Amazing experience. I do this for a living and I still had to chuckle at the fun we were having.

Full report in a week or so. We're on it.

Though please have some patience.

It sounds like the first batch of aeros might be stateside early fall, which will make things interesting for 2015.

Thanks for the preview, George! Too bad the wind didn't get up a bit more, but the "go kart" feeling sounds very intriguing. Looking forward to the full report and video footage.

Watching the sailing I felt like I was looking at somebody out sailing the boat for fun, not out there to race it (it was almost never flat, and just watching his motions looked like he was in it for comfortable fun). The comments were minimal, yup it's a light boat so the power to weight ratio feels like a high-performance toy, it gets up and goes quickly (again, it's light), it lacks momentum upwind (because it's light). Is that the biggest selling point for this boat?

I have to say, I was underwhelmed by that "coverage". I expect something more substantial from WestCoast.

I have to say, I was underwhelmed by that "coverage". I expect something more substantial from WestCoast.

that's a lot of pressure!

No, but seriously, I tried to sail it hard just like I race my Laser. I can't say the boat was always dead flat (I'm in decent shape, but not an animal), but that was the 'methodoligy' for the test.

A lot of customers will buy it because it's super light and very easy to sail and at a nice price point.

They don't need a video report and technical information to know that this boat will work for them.

I tried to look at it from 'can this be the future of dinghy sailing' as viewed from a Laser sailor who sells a lot of Lasers each year.

I liked the vid. No way for any one video (or boat) to be all things for all people. Looks great! If a fleet materializes, and I get some time and money, I would love to get one and sail it for competition and fun!

No, but seriously, I tried to sail it hard just like I race my Laser. I can't say the boat was always dead flat (I'm in decent shape, but not an animal), but that was the 'methodoligy' for the test.

A lot of customers will buy it because it's super light and very easy to sail and at a nice price point.

They don't need a video report and technical information to know that this boat will work for them.

I tried to look at it from 'can this be the future of dinghy sailing' as viewed from a Laser sailor who sells a lot of Lasers each year.

Honestly I guess as the first "involved" video review we've seen of the boat I was just underwhelmed. But I'm looking for more of a "sailor's review" than what seemed like a generic product push from Yachting World...

I guess comments on the feeling and tweeky-ness of the rig, comparison of the different rigs, feel of the boat in flat vs lumpy vs swell (or whatever you got a chance to play in), general layout feel when sitting in different positions (how accessible are the controls, and how important are they when sailing, how comfortable are you in different positions)... Things like that which could make a yea or nay decision for a potential buyer.

Full disclosure, I'm not even considering an Aero for any time in the near future, but I would love for solid reviews and criticisms of all these single-hander toys that are emerging.

Notwithstanding the weird fish-eye views, it looks like a great little boat! I will be very surprised if it isn't faster than the Laser in all conditions and on all points of sailing. I sailed a Laser on and off for 40 years, interspersed mainly with Fireballs and an IC. Obviously the latter two were much more interesting and waaaay faster, but battling it out in large local fleets on a consistent basis kept bringing me back to the Laser. Prior to the radial coming along, small folks would rule when it was light, and the big boys took over when it blew (generally). Then the radial came along and cut the fleet in half. So, although the Aero looks to be a winner as a boat, they have already cut the adult fleet in half with the two rigs (the 5 will likely be for kids who have outgrown the Opti - another dated boat that seems to slay all challengers). And I saw somewhere the price of the rigs are way more than the Laser rigs. In my opinion, the Aero will be a much better boat to simply sail, but the Laser will still rule for serious fleet racing for quite some time, with a handful of geographic exceptions. Oh - one other thing. My bet is the Aero will suck as much as the Laser in the real light stuff. You'll have to fold yourself up like a lawn chair, destroy your knees and try to get away with kinetics as much as possible...

Rig price is £840 which is sail + mast. I don't know what a Radial rig costs I'd agree the Aero rig isn't cheap if you look at the fairly basic sail and consider the cost of a carbon windsurfer mast. That's RS's business model - their sails aren't cheap for what they are. However, at least in the UK which is what I know, they put a lot back into their classes and customer service and they have a lot of repeat buyers. I've never owned an RS boat but I know a lot of people who have and that's what they tell me.

I sailed the Aero 7 recently in 12-14 knots and flattish water. I don't think it's worthwhile dwelling on placement of fittings etc because as I understand it, those aren't finalised anyway. It was a single 40 minute session so you aren't going to get deep insights from me. Light, responsive and fun. Easy to sail. Will (I think) not be easy to sail well - I predict lots of kinetics. If it really planes upwind, I didn't get close to that but It planed on a close reach in that breeze and I'm sure bigger waves would make it take off. I liked it. Maybe enough to buy one but I haven't entirely decided yet.

From laser performance Europe

Radial bottom section £185

Laser top section £155

Radial sail £395

Rolled radial sail £450

So £735, or £795 if you want a rolled sail.

Has RS given a price split for mast and sail?

On another note, does laser seriously charge an extra £55 for rolling up the bloody sail?!

On another note, does laser seriously charge an extra £55 for rolling up the bloody sail?!

I hope that means you get a bag with it or bag and shipping included?

Has RS given a price split for mast and sail?

Not on the price list I have.

.....I'd be tempted to take one of these on my next Baja adventure,,

,,the ability to grab'n run would save a lot on the gunnels when landing in surf!

,,,,and the open transom will save the cockpit from filling with water in monster-breeze,,,which in turn will save masts!

...I want to hear these boats have been 'monster-tested',,,a 200+ pounder in 45 knots!

,,the ability to grab'n run would save a lot on the gunnels when landing in surf!

,,,,and the open transom will save the cockpit from filling with water in monster-breeze,,,which in turn will save masts!

...I want to hear these boats have been 'monster-tested',,,a 200+ pounder in 45 knots!

as they're probably only Category B rated, I'd say in 45 knots they are likely to fall down quicker than William Foster ordering a whammyburger....

http://www.britishmarine.co.uk/upload_pub/RCD_Boatbuilders_Guide_Apr06.pdf

as they're probably only Category B rated, I'd say in 45 knots they are likely to fall down quicker than William Foster ordering a whammyburger....

http://www.britishmarine.co.uk/upload_pub/RCD_Boatbuilders_Guide_Apr06.pdf

....Laser can handle this with only a 'few' mods :mellow:<_<

...the absence of ~130lbs of water in the cockpit and lighter weight overall will certainly save a few masts! :blink:

45 knots solid.... doubt it.

...AWESOME video...-maybe- went to 45 in a couple of lulls??....I'd want to see a disclaimer that ..............''no sailors were harmed in the making of this video''.

....funnily,,other than Baja,,,it was near the same location in Cornwall that I spent a winter storm-riding after the Falmouth worlds

...admittedly, it's the peak of puffs hitting 45 that I was suggesting.....a laser can (barely) do this,,,but certainly a good proof-point for a new build......I really think a boat should be built to handle what an (insane) sailor can manage to sail through

....George...you need a volunteer destructive-testing pilot? :);)

mate- take a go pro.... if you're going to ruin one for shits and giggles, make damn sure you share it :)

If someone's building a lightweight racing boat, the marketing gimmick being the light bit, they're not going to over build it to cope with conditions that no one's going racing in. Cos then is wouldn't be light would it?

If they did that they'd be fuckin nobbers, and they're not.

mate- take a go pro.... if you're going to ruin one for shits and giggles, make damn sure you share it :)

...I've got th'go-pro's,,,George yer have a speed-puck thingy? :)

If someone's building a lightweight racing boat, the marketing gimmick being the light bit, they're not going to over build it to cope with conditions that no one's going racing in. Cos then is wouldn't be light would it?

If they did that they'd be fuckin nobbers, and they're not.

....thilly....a boat should be able to handle a realistically large sailor in realistically peak winds,,no?

...at 45kn,,a laser can still (barely) make time upwind

Hey Zaga, where do you sail out of, in Victoria? I used to sail out of Oak Bay. I've ordered an Aero 9, for the lake in Annecy, France.

Martin (Wadhams), are the designs for the three sail sizes finalized yet? Watching the Yachting World video, it appears to me that the sail for the Aero 9 shows some "over bend" wrinkles (luff curved starved?) when on the wind. Can you tell me which materials are being used for the sails? I've also seen a variety of panel layouts in the various pictures that have been published, both cross cut and radial. Have these been finalized, and if so, will they be cross cut, or radial?

Highest advertising spend in Yachting World this month then, must be selling ok

10322802_637214076361868_421684849180106

Honestly I guess as the first "involved" video review we've seen of the boat I was just underwhelmed. But I'm looking for more of a "sailor's review" than what seemed like a generic product push from Yachting World...

I guess comments on the feeling and tweeky-ness of the rig, comparison of the different rigs, feel of the boat in flat vs lumpy vs swell (or whatever you got a chance to play in), general layout feel when sitting in different positions (how accessible are the controls, and how important are they when sailing, how comfortable are you in different positions)... Things like that which could make a yea or nay decision for a potential buyer.

Full disclosure, I'm not even considering an Aero for any time in the near future, but I would love for solid reviews and criticisms of all these single-hander toys that are emerging.

Not a bad video, you can see the sailor's actions in wind & reaction to waves; of course it looks faster than it probably is. Looks to me like even with the chines, it steers pretty smoothly thru waves on the quarter.

A guy who can lift and carry 48k (smitch over 100lbs) is probably in better shape than he looks. Still it's about 20% lighter than the competition.

I would have been very interested to see the full incident of this test skipper in the video climbing into the boat from alongside. Capsize/reboarding behavior is extremely important... and not difficult to improve on the Laser, just want to know what to expect.

Still on the fence myself, it seems like quite a nice little boat but then I already have a 13-ish ft cat-rigged self-bailing singlehander, it's about 25lb heavier and probably flexier too, but it only cost me $800 and some elbow grease. And apparently that's not good enough to tempt any local sailors to join me & form a class, even at -THAT- price or less.

http://greensboro.craigslist.org/boa/4440404003.html

But will be still follow the Aero with interest, who knows

FB- Doug

Highest advertising spend in Yachting World this month then, must be selling ok

Couldn't see a single advert for RS.

Matty Sheahan says he's a dinghista but his sheet-tiller hand work looks a bit dodgy to me but what do I know I'm Crew Union.

The boat looks nice. It's not a question of it being better than the Laser; it's a question of it being able to deliver better racing than the Laser. IMO, RS have the chops to pull it off in the UK as they are probably the best at it. In the US they don't have the "factory push" to get it done and my guess is even if their pretty small dealer network makes a HUGE effort it'll take years to get penetration. However, despite the Laser dominance here one wonders how many people out there have on the sidelines because of all of the $#!+ involved in the Laser class? I doubt RS want to be Laser killers they just want a decent bite of the market.

My only design question is what is going to be like in light air with the forward mainsheet when you'll want to scooch right forward and mainsheet's in your crotch.

Also doesn't this kill the RS100? Cheaper, lighter, prolly not much slower round a course, simpler, lower $$ of ownership... The 100's a nice bit of kit but you might be close to 2 Aeros to 1 100...

Hi, WestCoast! How's that report coming??

half written, it's crazy here.

6x Aeros presold already. 9 months before they arrive....

More inquiries in inbox this morning. Good grief.

Also doesn't this kill the RS100? Cheaper, lighter, prolly not much slower round a course, simpler, lower $$ of ownership... The 100's a nice bit of kit but you might be close to 2 Aeros to 1 100...

100 should be way quicker around a course unless it's super light. More RM, more sail, more Spinnaker.

Also doesn't this kill the RS100?

Very different boat. I've sailed both. RS100 is for the big boys, even with the smaller rig whereas Aero will accommodate lighter sailors. Also, the RS100 is strictly a W/L boat, which limits the appeal for club sailors.

WestCoast, Looking forward to your report. Any chance of capsize recovery footage starting with someone in the water and then getting back in?

WestCoast, Looking forward to your report. Any chance of capsize recovery footage starting with someone in the water and then getting back in?

Yes, that's what I want to see, also. Thought we were going to see it in that last video but it was cleverly edited out.

FB- Doug

I don't believe I filmed it while on board, but it's possible the gang in the RIB got some footage of it.

I will ask them.

It was only tricky to right as the boats didn't have any grabrails (the production version will). I'd wait to give my full comments on that aspect to a fully formed production model.

But I just reached in, grabbed the hiking strap and pulled myself in (didn't flip back ontop of me).

WestCoast, Thanks for the update. Yes, when I looked at the early photos I thought that it needed some grab rails. Also useful for roll gybes if I remember rightly from my Laser days.

ok, almost done. 4 pages written. Just needs (major) editing.

Writing is not my forte, never written a boat review. Just rambling and trying to explain everything I saw, felt and learned about this little beast.

Well damnit man, send it! Anythin you say George will be well received!

Hey WestCoast, maybe a few new still shots, to help us to be patient while waiting for your report? Thanks in advance!

Maybe it's just me, but it seems a real shame that a simple report is taking so long. It could be taken as a lack of enthusiasm, an inability to keep commitments, tardiness, under delivering on promises or a lack of momentum.

I don't mean that as a personal slant, but come on. A week should be or than enough given the build up.

Agreed- given there's been quite a few demos now, you'd exprct there to be more feedback out there on the net- especially a forum sponsored by the builder!!!

sosomii. Fair criticism, but doesn't help me get the report done faster. :)

We sell 200 boats a year, and most are in the spring time.

We're slammed busy here, it was a miracle I could get to the UK and test out the boat, let alone drag our marketing director with me.

I could have not mentioned anything about going, and then just surprised you all with a report and pictures....but, trying to keep everyone in the loop.

Three boats to deliver to customers today and piles of orders to get out, I'm working till late tonight and all weekend and will get it done hopefully in next few days.

Not trying to be a tease!
I'm just not a writer.

Not a strength of mine, and I'm trying to give specific and measured reporting to the entire experience.

The boat will land in the US in about a year. (maybe a few this fall to a lucky handful of customers).

I trust if my report comes out today or next week will be completely immaterial over the long run, but I'll get it finished as soon as I possibly can.

Wish I had a ghost writer!

All good GB, you send it when you can, I'm goin sailing all weekend!

...ahh yes--the curse of 'premature articulation' on SA :mellow:

..............tough crowd eh!? ;)

WestCoast, is there an chance we could have a question-answer period after you release the report? Would you be comfortable answering all sorts of random questions about the boats?

N'ah just the sinking feeling of all tits no fanny....

N'ah just the sinking feeling of all tits no fanny....

ha, we've taken enough pre-orders now where it's clear there is plenty of 'fanny' with it.

4 page report is done, just editing :)

No hurries mate; looking forward to its final version.

But let's remember that West Coast is a dealer and that he can't, or won't, point out any really negative experiences in his written review.

...after ~40 years of a rather imperfectly perfect design,,,you know -any- of these boats will be better in many ways. ,,,,,but as is the nature of boat design,all will have trade-offs in one way or 'nother :mellow:

Couch, when are you going to get a HOOT into NYC area? Or Boston area?

Westcoast: you need to see about demo to NYC too.

Devoti needs to do that with the Dzero three.

For some reason, nothing ever comes here. Even though we are the most important city in the world. ;-)

Couch, when are you going to get a HOOT into NYC area? Or Boston area?

Westcoast: you need to see about demo to NYC too.

Devoti needs to do that with the Dzero three.

For some reason, nothing ever comes here. Even though we are the most important city in the world. ;-)

.... ;-) ,,indeed :mellow:

No hurries mate; looking forward to its final version.

But let's remember that West Coast is a dealer and that he can't, or won't, point out any really negative experiences in his written review.

Wavedance II - You don't know me very well then :) It's 2014 man, that stuff wouldn't work even if I tried.

Flew myself and a staffer to the UK on my own dime to get first impressions, I'm not writing a fluff piece for people.

There are some things I don't like or my customers don't like, and I point them out clearly.

RS is good about listening, they might not take all my suggestions.

No boat is perfect and we don't sell as many boats as we do each year misleading or avoiding the negatives of the boats we sell.