Alcatraz5768

Alcatraz

On 4/6/2014 at 5:08 PM, Alcatraz5768 said:

I found some pics of us removing the wings. Nothing attracts a crowd in a boatyard like starting a chainsaw.

post-97971-0-67680700-1396769840_thumb.jpgpost-97971-0-96709400-1396769851_thumb.jpgpost-97971-0-05102500-1396769861_thumb.jpgpost-97971-0-48768600-1396769873_thumb.jpg

My 1st boss had this saying:

"We have 2 rules with power tools. No drinking & no holding hands".

I figure I've saved a few people's limbs over the years repeating it to people doing stupid shite with tools. The point is if you can do something by yourself. Do it by yourself. The chance you will hurt the other person or yourself goes up exponentially when using tools in close proximity. Watching one person holding onto a board with another guy pushing a circular saw towards them makes me feel ill and angry at the same time.

You've got one of the dumbest photos of all time. 

• Downvote 1

I've used a lot of power tools over the last 25 years, and the advice that was given to me was that power tools smell fear, that stuck with me. My mate in the photo and I have known each other since we were 11yo, and done more dumb shit than most, and we still have all our limbs, so I suppose we are just lucky?

• Like 1

On 2018-02-03 at 5:05 PM, CaptainAhab said:

You've got one of the dumbest photos of all time. 

Post pictures of your work. It's clear that Alcatraz knows what he's doing. 

48 minutes ago, Will1073 said:

Post pictures of your work. It's clear that Alcatraz knows what he's doing. 

Wow. That is some brilliant logic. He could be hacking up Wild Oates for the 5th time and I would still make the same comment.

Yes, you have been lucky. Or I guess everyone else who gets hurt is unlucky. 

Forget I posted. Until you have seen, been hurt, or have hurt someone. Then you can learn the lesson and teach it to every other person you work with in the future.

Two of my friends are missing fingers. One is missing half his forearm and hand. These guys are all craftsman. I guess they were unlucky. 

• Downvote 1

14 hours ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

Sorry for offending you, I suppose. 

That apology won't do. The only right thing to do is to put the wings back on and remove them properly.

preferably by yourself.

Im back bitches. Bach is done (or as good as), truck has its new stereo and 4 link rear suspension, business is running ok, touch wood, so time for more boat work.

The engine has been painted, overhauled the raw water pump, got the head done, made a simple vee belt tensioner with more wrap on the alternator, ready for new front mounts. we are using a volvo bed with a Yanmar 3gm30, so new front mount leg thingys to be made to suit. I have a generator control unit to operate the engine which is small (3"x3") and controls and monitors everything, including a provision for a start/stop button in the cockpit.

Ive also ordered a bunch of conduit and waterproof plugs from ebay (china) for the boats loom. The idea is to measure out the needed wiring and lay it all out on the floor, then loom it all up with nice plugs on everything, then just drop it into the boat, plug it all in, and its all done. Crosses fingers.

More filling and sanding to be done inside before i can hopefully paint it over Easter.

Good to see you moving forward again! Can't wait to see how it turns out and sails.

glued in engine box. used triangular doublers for the corners but i'll have to glass around the top onto the cockpit sole and the sides. 

IMG_1353.JPG

IMG_1354.JPG

IMG_1355.JPG

gonna have plastic hatches on the back and sides and a removable panel on the front. cetus 25l fuel tank will live in there as well

I've never seen a serpentine V-belt before.

Look at the deck of any ride on mower. These engines suffer from not enough wrap on the alternater pulley resulting in slippage and black shit everywhere. I'm hoping that by getting nearly double the wrap I can eliminate the problem. If not I'll try something else. 

The combination of the increased wrap, the spring loaded idler and the cogged belt means you won't ever see slippage unless something seizes solid.

Fitted the new bunk backrests. Filleted all around the interior to get ready for paint, and discovered a better technique. In the past I have mixed the filler, spooned it into position, then dragged a shaped knife along it, then removed the excess. 

Todayi mixed the poo, scraped it into a plastic bag, cable tied the bag closed and cut the corner off and piped the bog into the corners. Then I used a gadget from the hardware store that is normally used for silicone fillets to do my coves. It has a rubber end (mine came with 5 sized fillets) that extends out a little way. I simply dragged it along and the rubber sides cleaned up each side of the fillet. 

Best discovery ever. Saved hours and gave me a much better finish. 

painted the inside. hard to draw a line and pull the trigger when i know i could keep prepping it for another year. Wifey pointed out it is a 35yo race boat worth maybe 50k when it is done. I vacuumed it out and hosed on some paint. painted the bunk boards, hatch covers etc. sick to death of painting shit atm. 

Whats the easiest way to reduce the file size of an image on an iPhone? If you say get a samsung i will put you on ignore.

sent some bits off to get re anodised black so everything matches. bolted 12 new clutches on. 

this is hopefully the start of the end, feels like i'm on the downhill now. thank fuck for that. 

IMG_1797.JPG

IMG_1798.JPG

IMG_1800.JPG

On 5/22/2018 at 3:29 PM, Alcatraz5768 said:

like a clothes line but for painting boat parts. 3 finishes, one session. 

IMG_1715.JPG

Have the sheep gone on strike?

8 hours ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

sent some bits off to get re anodised black so everything matches. bolted 12 new clutches on. 

this is hopefully the start of the end, feels like i'm on the downhill now. thank fuck for that. 

IMG_1797.JPG

That's one serious clutch bank. You got one winch for the whole boat?

On 3/7/2018 at 9:40 AM, Alcatraz5768 said:

Look at the deck of any ride on mower. These engines suffer from not enough wrap on the alternater pulley resulting in slippage and black shit everywhere. I'm hoping that by getting nearly double the wrap I can eliminate the problem. If not I'll try something else. 

Where did you get that idler/belt kit?  It looks like a nice setup and an easy upgrade.

Hi Alex, I made that up myself, bought a tensioner, idler pulls from scrap yard and profile cut bracket. I'll let you know how good it is after I motor for a while with soft battery's. 

5 hours ago, IStream said:

That's one serious clutch bank. You got one winch for the whole boat?

2 reefs, 2 jib hals, 2 kite hals, main hal, topping lift for pole,  inhauler and downhauler for floating leads, and 2 tack lines. Cunno, outhaul, downhaul will go to cam cleats and vang will be split to both sides. 

Seems a lot but I can't really get rid of anything. 

16 hours ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

The sheep are teenage boys so yeah it's a bit hit and miss. 

They miss the day you told them to mow, so you get to hit them upside the head to remind them ;)

I was at a bottle store the other day and heard a guy say to his kid (who was running around a bit and being generally annoying, as they are) If you dont stop, you'll get a smack on the ass, when we get home. Funny

Got stuck in today and jacked the boat up and slid an old shipping cradle under her. I will jack that up onto 44 gal drums so i can get to the keel stub area, which is the last big job, Yay me. Picked up the cradle from westhaven for free as they have to pay to get rid of them, not perfect but free!!

just jacked the old gurl up and put it on drums. now i can get the bottom prepped for the new keel. i chainsawed the stub off but didn't take pics in case someone thought i was a cunt again. 

IMG_1842.JPG

IMG_1843.JPG

• Downvote 1

When do we see the inside paint job?

42 minutes ago, armchairadmiral said:

Good story. Remember A when she was red and a really advanced racer( for the day.) What happened to designer Grant Firth ?

Ive got pics of a double skin headsail that they tried on the boat, was designed and built by a sailboard guy i believe. She was pretty radical for her day especially considering most were still building IOR shitters. Hopefully she can be great again.

Grant Firth spends half his time here tutoring at Unitech with Richard Wilson (who built the boat) and half his time in the UK. Other notable designs are Kea, the devonport ferry and Silver Bullet, but everyone wants to forget that boat. Everyone.

Alcatraz

Love this thread - thanks for sharing your boat and your story. I was sufficiently moved  to dust off my SA password to record my rather pointless thanks. It only happens once every 5 years. Signing in I mean,  not saying thanks...

Great job, I used to admire the old Alcatraz sailing past me. I look forward to seeing  her do so again, in her altogether more svelte reincarnation.

Unlikely you are a cunt. 

Oh I'm a cunt alright. One of my theory's is that we are all cunts, good cunt, old cunt, cheeky cunt etc. 

we will be having a massive relaunch party to which all SA observers will be invited. I hope to see you there. 

2 minutes ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

Oh I'm a cunt alright. One of my theory's is that we are all cunts, good cunt, old cunt, cheeky cunt etc. 

we will be having a massive relaunch party to which all SA observers will be invited. I hope to see you there. 

Relaunch?

I was thinking that you were making a garden ornament after discovering the cost of a berth at Westhaven

Sooooo.i built a bowsprit. it was fixed at 1.4m and had a stick inside it that slid out another 1m. All good except i hated the look of it, its been sitting in the shed unloved for ages and every time i look at it i hate it a little more. Just called my favorite carbon tube supplier and bought a 3.2m stick of 100mm tube and a bigger one to glue into the hull, gonna chop a hole in the front and make a retractable sprit. The only problem is the tube for the sprit has a 6mm wall which is about twice as heavy as it needs to be, but it is cheap as it has a few blemishes on it. To get a 3mm wall section would save about 4.5kg but cost about $1500 more, which will go a long way towards a new A2. This is what this shit is all about, compromises, and I've removed the anchor winch, so all good i suppose.