Alcatraz5768

Alcatraz

On 6/7/2018 at 6:32 AM, Alcatraz5768 said:

2 reefs, 2 jib hals, 2 kite hals, main hal, topping lift for pole,  inhauler and downhauler for floating leads, and 2 tack lines. Cunno, outhaul, downhaul will go to cam cleats and vang will be split to both sides. 

Seems a lot but I can't really get rid of anything. 

reef jammers belong in the boom

9 hours ago, duncan (the other one) said:

reef jammers belong in the boom

And the cunningham can also do the job of the tack lines (I assume these are for reefing), saving 2 more.

9 hours ago, Alex W said:

And the cunningham can also do the job of the tack lines (I assume these are for reefing), saving 2 more.

tacklines go to the spinnaker pole

Oh, asym tack lines.  Two are for peels?  I've mostly used asyms on j/109s which only have 1 with the default rigging...

yep 2 for peels. why would i have reef jammers in the boom with the winches on the back of the cabin top?

IMG_2388.JPG

26 minutes ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

yep 2 for peels. why would i have reef jammers in the boom with the winches on the back of the cabin top?

IMG_2388.JPG

Sexy!

Putting the jammers for reef lines in the boom (if possible) shortens the loaded length of line (reduces stretch) and localizes the load to the boom only.

1 hour ago, longy said:

Putting the jammers for reef lines in the boom (if possible) shortens the loaded length of line (reduces stretch) and localizes the load to the boom only.

I understand that, but there is a reason that jammers are placed close to winches. So you can operate both at the same time. This boat has quite a big rig so I imagine we'll be tucking reefs in and shaking them out a fair bit. 

I'm with Alky, reef lines run to the cockpit combined with jammers in the boom kinda defeats the purpose. 

8 hours ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

I understand that, but there is a reason that jammers are placed close to winches. So you can operate both at the same time. This boat has quite a big rig so I imagine we'll be tucking reefs in and shaking them out a fair bit. 

If you are going to have dedicated tack reef lines, then yes. If you reef to a hook or a cunningham, then someones at the mast anyway. Reef jammers only need operation to release the reefs.

So why are the halyard ones in the cockpit? They should be on the mast for all the same reasons. As it is they are all going on the bridge across the companionway. If it turns out to be shit, I have no problem moving gear. We moved the primary winches 4 times on My last boat.

Any constantly adjusted halyard needs to be close to winch so same person can control. Main halyard jammer could be on mast.(full race boats have main hal underdeck)