Alcatraz5768

Alcatraz

On 6/7/2018 at 6:32 AM, Alcatraz5768 said:

2 reefs, 2 jib hals, 2 kite hals, main hal, topping lift for pole,  inhauler and downhauler for floating leads, and 2 tack lines. Cunno, outhaul, downhaul will go to cam cleats and vang will be split to both sides. 

Seems a lot but I can't really get rid of anything. 

reef jammers belong in the boom

9 hours ago, duncan (the other one) said:

reef jammers belong in the boom

And the cunningham can also do the job of the tack lines (I assume these are for reefing), saving 2 more.

9 hours ago, Alex W said:

And the cunningham can also do the job of the tack lines (I assume these are for reefing), saving 2 more.

tacklines go to the spinnaker pole

Oh, asym tack lines.  Two are for peels?  I've mostly used asyms on j/109s which only have 1 with the default rigging...

26 minutes ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

yep 2 for peels. why would i have reef jammers in the boom with the winches on the back of the cabin top?

IMG_2388.JPG

Sexy!

Putting the jammers for reef lines in the boom (if possible) shortens the loaded length of line (reduces stretch) and localizes the load to the boom only.

1 hour ago, longy said:

Putting the jammers for reef lines in the boom (if possible) shortens the loaded length of line (reduces stretch) and localizes the load to the boom only.

I understand that, but there is a reason that jammers are placed close to winches. So you can operate both at the same time. This boat has quite a big rig so I imagine we'll be tucking reefs in and shaking them out a fair bit. 

I'm with Alky, reef lines run to the cockpit combined with jammers in the boom kinda defeats the purpose. 

8 hours ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

I understand that, but there is a reason that jammers are placed close to winches. So you can operate both at the same time. This boat has quite a big rig so I imagine we'll be tucking reefs in and shaking them out a fair bit. 

If you are going to have dedicated tack reef lines, then yes. If you reef to a hook or a cunningham, then someones at the mast anyway. Reef jammers only need operation to release the reefs.

So why are the halyard ones in the cockpit? They should be on the mast for all the same reasons. As it is they are all going on the bridge across the companionway. If it turns out to be shit, I have no problem moving gear. We moved the primary winches 4 times on My last boat.

Any constantly adjusted halyard needs to be close to winch so same person can control. Main halyard jammer could be on mast.(full race boats have main hal underdeck)

Hey battlers, a little progress here, hull repainted, used car paint again but a better one, and started whacking gear on, winches, jammers, track, cleats etc. pics to follow. 

1 minute ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

Hey battlers, a little progress here, hull repainted, used car paint again but a better one, and started whacking gear on, winches, jammers, track, cleats etc. pics to follow. 

What colour?

Will you beat the the Knotted One into the water?

Hey rushie, that was fast, were you waiting for me? Still pink, I'm not gay. On a bit of a mission so I'm hoping to launch in time for the coastal. Fingers crossed. 

17 minutes ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

Hey rushie, that was fast, were you waiting for me? Still pink, I'm not gay. On a bit of a mission so I'm hoping to launch in time for the coastal. Fingers crossed. 

Not waiting for anything but dinner to be ready

2019 Coastal?

Seems one way to get the kids off their devices is to get them sticky in the shed. Helping lay a some carbon twill over the switch panels. IMG_1305.JPG.8c9dc5705a96ac87bba20781ab39e915.JPGIMG_1306.JPG.093346a7a088c8ba80366e97312e3dd2.JPG

• Like 1

Just caught up on this. Hows she coming along?

Good progress again, as summer comes to an end I have a bit more time, so can get some more stuff done. Battery's wired, switch panels made, stairs nearly done, bowsprit lock done, toilet compartment ready for final paint, frd bulkhead cut down, exhaust done, fuel tank plumbed, rudderstock arrived, started modifying the tiller to fit the new rudder head. Boom, spreaders and vang stripped and sanded ready for paint. 

Photos of the boat???? Been more than 8 months since you posted some...

Just went out and put some carbon twill on the bottom of the stairs main spar thingy, and did a little cove around the bottom of the steps. ill flip it over tomorrow and do a tiny cove around the top side then off to be clear coated. Im using uv stable resin and black pigment and colloidal silica. Ive just given them a wipe with thinners to show the weave for you nagging bastards. Garage is a shambles, more pics to follow.

IMG_1358.JPG

IMG_1359.JPG

• Like 1

Bowsprit end with thimbles for tack lines. Bobstay goes through the hole and tensions up when the prod is out, and retracts with it so it doesnt flop around.IMG_1361.thumb.JPG.536d92060ee9d8aceb5700b3f15918b0.JPG

8 hours ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

IMG_1358.JPG

IMG_1359.JPG

Wow - now I feel completely inadequate.

You need not, ive cut corners all over the place, but wanted something that i could have to prove that i can still do nice stuff. Its not that hard either, just a carbon twill over laminated ply, looks fancy though.

laying out the rudder profile. “borrowed” some info from the Jefa site, namely the 33r design. i’ll try to keep a run of the rudder process as a lot of people seem to ask about building them. 

printed the profiles out, taped them on a piece of board, cut around the profile then cut them out. Shaped the points on the foam to the profile then power planed and sanded the whole blade down to the profiled sections. Do the other side tomorrow. Yay me

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

printed the profiles out, taped them on a piece of board, cut around the profile then cut them out. Shaped the points on the foam to the profile then power planed and sanded the whole blade down to the profiled sections. Do the other side tomorrow. Yay me

Jesus, that was fast!

5 hours ago, casc27 said:

Are you making a mold or...?

Nah. These pieces will become the blade. 

6 hours ago, Ajax said:

Jesus, that was fast!

Nah... All kiwis are experienced boat builders, sailmakers or diesel mechanics

It is just part of their life experiences

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rushman said:

Nah... All kiwis are experienced boat builders, sailmakers or diesel mechanics

It is just part of their life experiences

What a wonderful country.

I got reprimanded last night by 'The Goose' (Lucy 7) for not waiting til she was home from dancing to do work on the boat, so we went outside in the dark and put the bowsprit end back in. Pans out, if you chuck it in the freezer for an hour beforehand it just flops right in, Thermodynamics, not just a good idea, its the law.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

other side done. 

5A7FF0AC-CAA9-4A26-8A7C-D90222624D79.jpeg

Looks great! 

After nearly breaking my back fitting the transom rudder to my boat earlier this month (which judging from the weight the builder maybe cored with lead) I'm pretty envious of your fabrication skills. 

First time i've built a rudder like this, I think it'll work. I'm not fussed if it doesn't, ill just use the knowledge from this fucked one on the next one.

Stainless stock, due to time, money, size of tube in the boat and money. I built up a section of 2 part urethaney stuff which ill wrap a layer of glass around, then glue the rudder together. Nick from Adhesive Technology ltd agreed that this approach should work. Its hard to imagine that stuff peeling away from the clean abraded stainless, but time will tell, there's really no way that's proven, so its worth a go.IMG_1393.thumb.JPG.3b22cc2bc56182883df9723ead5956c7.JPG

• Like 1

Looking good.

No welded tabs, just glue, on that stainless post? Interesting. 

I was wondering if you were making a mold since I only saw a half-profile in the first core shaping pics. When I made an e-rudder a couple of years back I thought about shaping the core in separate halves but was concerned about damage during handling (not to mention aligning when eventually gluing the two halves together). I made a router sled and jig to do the shaping and it worked great. Although I did have to leave unshaped rails on the first side to keep things stable when I flipped it over to do the second. 

Fun seeing your work.

wrapped some 6oz boatcloth around the urethane after sanding it. My little buddy (Lucy 7) just loves all this stuff, but it’s only a recent thing, but i’ll take what i can get. 

72B27AB8-B119-4B86-9642-27A345F8E7CB.jpeg

30B87179-4014-4F5C-BD0D-41A52037FC8A.jpeg

143E53C3-F55B-4AB6-BA21-17E2CBABA2D6.jpeg

• Like 5

scalloped out rutter to accept stock. fitted tang hollows with foam then glued it together with a microbaloon coloidial silica blend. whacked a bag on it and some battens yo keep the trailing edge straight. 

F7465B53-5896-4AE4-9BB1-25597BB5569E.jpeg

FA9F9C25-5748-43B4-8EDF-87574D481A05.jpeg

F12DA20A-20DC-4C78-8181-056EC88B7A53.jpeg

• Like 1

Oh good - there's someone else who's shop is as trashed as mine. :D

I thought that first pic was some weird teak decked catamaran like a Wharram.

1 hour ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

omg my shed is a fucking disgrace. i’m embarrassed to take these pics. 

this be the answer ...................... :)

1 hour ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

omg my shed is a fucking disgrace. i’m embarrassed to take these pics. 

"Never trust a man with a tidy shed!"

John Stuart Mill.  1806-1873

• Like 1

I need one of those.

But bigger.

Dude, unbelievable work on that rudder.  Between your money making job and the boat work, I don't know how you keep up your energy.

5 hours ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

I've got a cold. Feel sorry for me. Updates to follow. 

About your cold?

7 hours ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

I've got a cold. Feel sorry for me. Updates to follow. 

Fuck you.

Suffer in silence.

• Like 1

so i tidied up the foam, then trimmed the top to the correct angle and height, then cut some 3mm g10 to form a top plate. i chamfered the top edge into a generous 45deg then glued it all together. ill trim off the edges then run the glass up to the top, leaving a nice square top edge. the contact with the edge wasn’t going to be enough so the fillet increases  that to about 15mm.

B612F4CF-05B9-4507-9741-F3359A47A6E0.jpeg

5EC54CF2-9A2B-4C0F-ABB7-932A9E8A42A9.jpeg

• Like 2

How dense is the foam? 

Should you worry about the tabs on the stock compressing the foam and the stock wiggling loose in the foam, should the grp shells somehow adhere to the tabs?

Just out of curiosity.

/JxD

I like the top plate treatment.

We do a lot of foam shaped over the post rudders (H80 or H100) and I’ve always routered the foam to a 3/8” round-over and the multiple layers of 12oz biaxial have no trouble taking the shape in the bag. 

Many ways to shave this cat! Loving the progress :)

Hey jxd. Foam is 80kg pvc so plenty strong enough for this, and the tangs are welded to the stock in a triangular pattern so are only just under the foam, the top tang actually will be against the glass. The others were bedded in bog so the foam thickness will be minimal around them, under 5mm. 

Will, I have done that as well, however I have had a couple of dramas, mainly on one there was a wrinkle which had to be ground out and re glassed. The wrinkle was from frying to get too much to go around there. Also very easy to end up with the overlap lump.  I don't know if my way will work but it should. 

got #2 to run a broom around so there’s that, which is nice. 2 layers of db 600g around the leading edge and 1 600g uni down each side. i’ll whack 2 more laminates of triax on each side then we will be done. nice to have progress. 

E2C161DA-DCF4-4DA3-B676-25C88E9CF649.jpeg

612DA471-0E70-45D7-95B7-51B3A0F5FA2E.jpeg

6D2B1F2D-50BF-4BDB-B5BC-432CC0B0332A.jpeg

He builds them himself - didn't you notice that one accidentally went off in his shop?

6 hours ago, casc27 said:

Progress is always nice. What's with the board clamped to the side?

Well, you see, it wasn't straight. 

10 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

where do you buy small torpedo's ?

NZ has chain stores for that. Each torp’ sold raises another buck for the AC boys.

6583976A-7252-41C0-BB25-6602E8AD0B40.jpeg

2 more laminates of triax each side (which is 45 each way and a unidirectional running lengthways) and another double bias (45 x2)around the front. for vacuum bagging i wet out the rudder with a little mohair roller then put the glass in place then roll more resin on til it’s wet enough. i use a ribbed roller as well mainly to make it stick to the substrate. then put on the next layer of glass  then more resin and rolling. after that is a layer of peel ply, patched together in this case, then a perforated plastic, which helps with disasembly , then some dacron breather then the bag. when i made the bag i made it long enough so i could cut the end off at each step then reuse it. pump is a hvac pump i got off trademe for $80. i probably use to much resin but the breather soaks any extra up and it’s got a whacking great ss stock anyway. bagging it definitely makes a better laminate, but you need to have everything cut out and ready to go. D7650112-BECD-4A43-A1B1-ED5959138F4E.thumb.jpeg.6fdb7123f0f4028ca502aa76573d8eab.jpeg

11 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

where do you buy small torpedo's ?

Killwell fibertubes. Jason there is the fucking man!!!

9125A2D4-9215-4E97-9631-33AFC9CC2FC8.jpeg

• Like 3

structurally all done. rolled a coat of bog over it as a start to the fairing process, although it seems pretty close. 

BE3A1C7D-1F03-42E5-8459-9F27B138A1AC.jpeg

C63A6629-827C-4942-A776-55E5C1A6982D.jpeg

Wow - that bagging sure creates a lot of trash.

The rudder is looking top drawer.

On 6/6/2019 at 1:39 AM, Alcatraz5768 said:

wrapped some 6oz boatcloth around the urethane after sanding it. My little buddy (Lucy 7) just loves all this stuff, but it’s only a recent thing, but i’ll take what i can get. 

72B27AB8-B119-4B86-9642-27A345F8E7CB.jpeg

30B87179-4014-4F5C-BD0D-41A52037FC8A.jpeg

143E53C3-F55B-4AB6-BA21-17E2CBABA2D6.jpeg

Lessons that will last a lifetime. 

19 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Wow - that bagging sure creates a lot of trash.

The rudder is looking top drawer.

There is so much wastage with bagging stuff, nobody usually talks about it, but there's heaps. 

" Killwell fibertubes. Jason there is the fucking man!!! "

Isn't he though?  Met him years ago down in Rotovegas and was most impressed.  Man has MANA +

On 6/21/2019 at 1:51 PM, Alcatraz5768 said:

Well, you see, it wasn't straight. 

Thought that might be it. Had a similar issue with an e-rudder build couple of years back. I just lived with it (have to look close to see the banana bend) it's just an e-rudder, after all. Probably never taste salt water...

The rudder looks great. But you loose points for revealing how much waste bagging generates. That's supposed to remain a trade secret.

19 hours ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

There is so much wastage with bagging stuff, nobody usually talks about it, but there's heaps. 

I'd like to see Bett's dumpster after he did one of the carbon cutters. :o

Oh for the G.O.D.'s of open bonfires.

4 hours ago, casc27 said:

Thought that might be it. Had a similar issue with an e-rudder build couple of years back. I just lived with it (have to look close to see the banana bend) it's just an e-rudder, after all. Probably never taste salt water...

The rudder looks great. But you loose points for revealing how much waste bagging generates. That's supposed to remain a trade secret.

Sorry about that. It makes me laugh when I see those articles about the sailgp and tp52 classes banging on about sustainability. 

blocked it back and applied some more bog. i’m using microlight and a bit of coloidial silica to stop it sagging. 

A9DFAC64-C527-495D-A5BE-2D495F180115.jpeg

car battery on the other end. good spotting, i grabbed that from a rubbish pile about 10 years ago, best thing ever. 

So that would make the rudder weigh?

(I was expecting a bigger counter weight or stuck under something)

Fuggin good work and thanks for putting up pics . I’ve always thought of building foils as a dark art best done by eccentric gurus but you’ve shown it can be done at home so thanks for that .

you still hoping to be sailing 25th October ? 

I'll weigh it shortly, I'm interested as well. I could have saved a heap going to a carbon stock, but the $-kg ratio didn't add up, and maybe could have gone to a 2" stock instead of the 21/4 but, well,  fuck that. Roller rudder bearings are getting made this week, I'll post drawings up shortly. 

Still hoping for the coastal, but I'm not going to break my neck, still gotta pay the bills.

gave the big a final sand, close enough to the template. rolled some epoxy primer undercoat on, ill sand it on Sunday and put it aside. pretty stoked with how it came out actually. 

AC1B0055-32EF-4E9B-9444-83FA99F802B0.jpeg

0292440E-F810-4E19-88D5-F61E1F17BF04.jpeg

• Like 5

On 6/28/2019 at 4:52 PM, Cazzate said:

I’ve always thought of building foils as a dark art best done by eccentric gurus but you’ve shown it can be done at home

I think in Alcatraz's case, he is an eccentric guru who can do it at home. And I say that with the utmost respect.

Eccentric sorta implies I'm rich. I'm not, I just don't think I can't do stuff, and I'm willing to fuck shit up to learn.  Even on this project I've made countless mistakes, but learnt from them all, so all good. 

• Like 3