Alcatraz5768

Alcatraz

That trailer must be sitting low on its springs, how much weight is it taking?

Coastal Classic isn't looking good this year

only about 1500kg. it was a rental trailer in a past life so i bet it’s seen way worse. i’m gonna jack up the back of the boat this weekend so i can test fit the rudder, put the bearings in the freezer for fitting, shhhh, don’t tell wifey. 

4EBF2011-81CF-4E4D-9559-BCEDF39E0509.jpeg

11 hours ago, Crash said:

There are alot of straight lines not running parallel or perpendicular with the bulb or keel...trailer sides, angled roof, etc, that I think make things look not straight or aligned on the keel even though I suspect its fine...

it’s pretty good, not 100% perfect but way better than the pics make it look. i’m always amazed how shit i am at taking pics, i can only apologise. 

38 minutes ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

only about 1500kg. it was a rental trailer in a past life so i bet it’s seen way worse. i’m gonna jack up the back of the boat this weekend so i can test fit the rudder, put the bearings in the freezer for fitting, shhhh, don’t tell wifey. 

4EBF2011-81CF-4E4D-9559-BCEDF39E0509.jpeg

Forget the bearings, salvage that beef before the freezer burn takes it for good.

Oh shit!  Too late. 

I already press fitted a new Jofa bearing in a soft bedding of raw roast beef, rosemary and celery salt, thinking "good enough for Alcatraz, surely good enough for me."  I am so fuckt…

So at any rate, maybe you can help me out.  How long does it have to stay installed like that before it's cooked?  And which wine do I use with beef bearing bedding compound?  I'm thinking an Australian shiraz. 

• Like 1

With beef a la Jefa, you always want to go with something red but light. There's just not enough friction to support heavy tannins or oak. A good chianti or a pinot does the trick.

Jeezuss - I hope you got a volume discount on those rope clutches. :blink:

my wife and i bought one for each other for every occasion for about 2 years, anniversary’s, christmas, birthdays etc. 

• Like 3

You’ll need Ray Charles in pit to play that keyboard!

Looks a bit bow-down ... but you can adjust when you paint the waterline. :)

2 hours ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

Pits not that busy. 12 clutches 2 cam cleats and vang either side in spinlock cleats. 

In no particular order... what are you rigging?

1 Main halyard

2 Topping lift

3 Cunningham 

4 Reef line 1

5 Reef line 2

6 Main outhaul

7 jib halyard

8 Jib halyard 2

9 Kite Halyard

10 Kite halyard  2

11 Masthead kite halyard

12 Sprit tackline 

13 Sprit tackline 2

14 Stays’il halyard or maybe second masthead kite

And the 2x vangs

Main halyard

port jib halyard

stb jib halyard

masthead spin halyard

inner masthead spin  halyard (below other masthead halyard) with choker down to fractional

2x tack lines

2x reefs

outhaul

topper for pole

jib downhauls (these are rigged to work as one, and may end up in a camcleat)

cam cleats are for: 

cunningham

pole downhaul

inhaulers

So, what I was doing with the boats arse in the air was getting the top of the rudder sorted. Jacked the boat up, dug a bit of a hole, put the rudder in but put 3mm shims under the top plate. Then I used packaging tape on the hull and filled the gap in with a glue mix, gave it some warmth, and dropped it out when it cured. Now I can tidy the rudder up knowing when I install it (without the shims) there should be a nice even 3mm gap. 

These are a bunch of people telling me to launch it as soon as possible and finish the small jobs off in the water but that seems dumb to me, no point launching it till I can stick the rig in it and go sailing a day later. At home it doesn't cost me anything and is way more convenient to work on. 

Too right,`its much easier to work on in the back yard. Once you launch you'll have enough to do getting the rig sorted and related jobs. You should be launching with a full fridge, squabs bedding, fishing gear, diesel so you can fuck off on day 2.

keel painted with first coat of undercoat. sand back with a board then spot fill and ready for the interprotect when we antifoul her. 

0344D0F8-ACA7-499A-97C5-6C58BB4D1693.jpeg

8E063951-009E-42E0-B423-3A63876EACD9.jpeg

Why are you putting barrier coat on a metal keel?

43 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I see no problem with that, can you expound on that a little bit?

46 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Obvious really, he's in the Hauraki gulf so he's keen on keeping the Barrier off his keel. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, monsters inc said:

I see no problem with that, can you expound on that a little bit?

Expense.

Hard to sand.

Purpose?

44 minutes ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

9DBFC634-1A6A-46B1-A3CE-4FF99EA5CB5B.jpeg

Gonna need a Wide Load permit when you transport that thing.

The keel photos are doing my head in!

I can't decide if the keel is the same length as the bulb or the bulb is big enough for a TP52

@Alcatraz5768... How big is the boat and keel size/weight? Just a brief summary if you have time to remind us what you are creating.

One week to Coastal

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Gonna need a Wide Load permit when you transport that thing.

not if i move it at night. 

47 minutes ago, Rushman said:

The keel photos are doing my head in!

I can't decide if the keel is the same length as the bulb or the bulb is big enough for a TP52

@Alcatraz5768... How big is the boat and keel size/weight? Just a brief summary if you have time to remind us what you are creating.

One week to Coastal

i know right. without a boat on top it’s a total mind fuck. the fin looked huge when it was sitting on the floor upside down, but now it looks fine, however the whole deal looks humongous. the bulb is about 2m long and the fin is about 2m tall. the keel weighs 1340kg from memory and the fin is 184 so just over 1500 kgs. the bulb is the same as the 1050s.  the keel is going to be about 200kgs heavier than the old one but i believe we’ve lost about the same with the removal of the wings etc. the weight is going to be much lower as well. 

1 hour ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

i know right. without a boat on top it’s a total mind fuck. the fin looked huge when it was sitting on the floor upside down, but now it looks fine, however the whole deal looks humongous. the bulb is about 2m long and the fin is about 2m tall. the keel weighs 1340kg from memory and the fin is 184 so just over 1500 kgs. the bulb is the same as the 1050s.  the keel is going to be about 200kgs heavier than the old one but i believe we’ve lost about the same with the removal of the wings etc. the weight is going to be much lower as well. 

Thanks

We need cliff notes for these threads

alright so the keel is done, last big job is wiring. i have decided to make a loom up more like an automotive style. i have gone through the boat using string and masking tape flags with notes, then taped it to the floor. i will now lay wires out and tape them too, then tape them together and solder the joints, then fit the conduit, then the plugs, then it’s done. 

hopefully. 

then it plugs in and works.

hopefully

made up the smaller front harness. it only has pumps, cabin lights, usb power socket, nav lights for the mast. 

ran out/couldn’t find the rest of the braided sleeve. got about half done. 

5E9B5907-FE2E-4C30-8D5F-354BEAA1C683.jpeg

FF8961A2-FC31-4F83-BCD4-C1300C4F8A30.jpeg

FC391790-B012-42EF-B0E4-29BCA27028AA.jpeg

made the looms up, one for the front part of the boat and the main one which goes from the switch panel on the port side back across the boat in the engine box and fed up the starboard side as well as aft either side. everything was included in the harness except instrument cabling. power, earth, lights, pumps, power sockets, stereo, speakers, fridge, etc. some homies came over and helped me finish it off and we dropped it in the boat late last night. i’ll plug everything in tomorrow hopefully and see if it all works. i fucked up and forgot to take pics. 

Final push!! Looks fucking awesome!

On 10/20/2019 at 9:30 AM, Alcatraz5768 said:

trusty assistant to put the solder on. 

I love the way your kid(s?) Interact with the boat stuff.. reminds me off me and my dad back in the day.. hope to be able to do that myself at some point. 

i bought a cheap used vinyl cutter. using it is both easier and harder than i thought. 

wiring is all in and works. 

ordered the hydro turf for the cockpit

ordered the water tank bladders. 

5A7B8E45-932C-47AC-8E6D-AFDFDBCB611A.jpeg

• Like 3

Works really well. I'll grab some pics on the weekend but everything plugged in and worked first time. I didn't get pics of the finished  harness as it was about 9.39 pm and I had a crew here helping get it in. 

Fair enough. Crazy time at work is limiting my boat stuff however I did redo the lifelines and painted inside all the lockers. Booked the truck for the 9th of January so it's all go now. 

• Like 6
  • Downvote 1

Alright, its all fucking go. 5 days to go until the truck gets here. Ivejust finished running halyards and cabling through the mast, ill terminate it all tomorrow, then fit the spreaders and standing rigging, then lift the mast onto the boat ready to go. The list is getting smaller but the anxiety over having no marina is growing. Ive got until the launch date of the 17th to find something at west haven or I'm really in the shit.

• Like 7

fitted tv’s to mast mount, did wiring, re ran halyards, refitted spreaders etc yhdd ed n lifted the mast onto the boat. 

53F29BBD-3950-4D25-A9C5-F56C519A8D09.jpeg

07E5D9EC-0837-42E9-867E-EA62AEC0EBE2.jpeg

D10EE312-6E3F-446B-9F1F-7E1EB75B370A.jpeg

3xmulti xl, steer pilot and nexus nxr unit. these are the only displays on the boat. they are furuno fi30 units which are rebranded nexus nx2 units, same as comnav. 

I love it when a plan comes together.

3 hours ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

keel studs cut and in

151826B0-7558-48EC-A7D9-038418C7916B.jpeg

Just out of curiosity, why did you use studs instead of giant machine screws through the flange?

Dead - are those costs representative of slip fees there?  From our parochial Maine/US viewpoint that's huge.

11 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Just out of curiosity, why did you use studs instead of giant machine screws through the flange?

Because I didn't want the heads of the screws under the top flange. Would have reduced the keelson depth to allow for thebolt heads. Also there's no need. 

9 hours ago, Dead air said:

Dunno when it was last updated but marina berths are showing a 12m berth available in Westhaven, is 2.3m deep enough with the new lump of lead?

https://www.marinaberths.com/berths-for-rent-new-zealand

I seent it but 2.3 isn't quite enough. I could get away with 2.5 I think, it would still dig a hole but it would only be a problem a couple of times a month. 

9 minutes ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

fuck yeah. 

AE44B2C2-426B-4CB1-9CA4-8985D7732BFE.jpeg

Welcome to the world of open ya wallet some more. 

Is that over by "p" 

What yard ya taking it to.? Pier 21? 

Yep, boat haulage arriving at 8.30, off to pier 21 for the keel fitting on Friday. 

Amazing relief to finally nail down a berth, Q45, on the same pier as a couple of my boys too. 

Well it's about fucking time! Congrats!! Looking good on the trailer. Will look so much better when she is finally wet.

You gonna do anything about that port list?

^_^

56 minutes ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

3DF800B7-5CB4-447B-8E9A-009715DB7B95.jpeg

Now ain't that a sight for sore eyes... Congrats on getting it out of the shed.... Now make it float ;)

Sat the boat on her keel today and fitted the rudder. Process was: lift boat, position keel with firkhoist, move boat over keel and lower onto bolts, settle on keel(dry fit), fit rudder, lift boat off keel but still engaged, spread gloop on(205 with high density additive), drop boat back down, do up nuts, align keel with rudder, clean up gloop that squeezed out. 

Was pretty easy, took about an hour. I was worried about the rudder bearings being tight so I put the rollers in the freezer beforehand, slid straight in. 

1 hour ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

414B2864-972E-47C5-8FC0-85C408E9E996.jpeg

Is epoxy the way to attach keels these days then?
I'd always assumed it would be some kind of flexible sealant. 

Looks fucking great!  Love it when these big projects get to completion.  Once floating, enjoy a cool beverage to celebrate.

mast in, my little truck only just had enough height. boom is on, keel joint is glassed. 

first filler. i’ll run a batten over it today looking for high spots then screed over the whole area with a long batten. . 

DC7312D9-2F58-48CE-8BF3-B51CC0CEE653.jpeg

first filler. i’ll run a batten over it today looking for high spots then screed over the whole area with a long batten. . 

2 hours ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

i’ll check it out. ker40 with snapped off keel right?

That is the one

8 hours ago, Rushman said:

That is the one

checked it out, im all sweet, mines not a Ker, safe as houses. 

57 minutes ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

checked it out, im all sweet, mines not a Ker, safe as houses. 

Welded fin keel?

15 hours ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

...mines not a Ker...

Neither was Showtimes...

22 hours ago, Rushman said:

Welded fin keel?

Yep, same as 90% of all t keels around here. Mine is very similar to a E1050 which have never had a problem.

13 minutes ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

Yep, same as 90% of all t keels around here. Mine is very similar to a E1050 which have never had a problem.

Probably all made with number 8 fencing wire :lol:

awesome job, so much work. You'll be on a high once its launched

Almost six years already?

Nice work!  Boat looks sick with the rig in.  Can't wait to see her on the water ripping downwind! 

3 hours ago, Trovão said:

Almost six years already?

Fuck, that makes me feel old. Congrats again Alcatraz.

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words team, antifoul tomorrow and into the water on Tuesday morning. Still working through a long list of stuff, but I made new cushion covers tonight which turned out better than I expected. I still enjoy learning new stuff. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

Thanks for the kind words team, antifoul tomorrow and into the water on Tuesday morning. Still working through a long list of stuff, but I made new cushion covers tonight which turned out better than I expected. I still enjoy learning new stuff. 

Did we ever talk about sails? I don't remember after all this time...

3 hours ago, Murphness said:

Did we ever talk about sails? I don't remember after all this time...

He's likely broke after all the other boat work so I am expecting sails made from used plastic garbage bags and duct tape. (I'm kidding, really...I think...)

Silver heavy duty tarps - no-one cheaps out with garbage bags.

New sails to come. We'll run what we have till the end of this season, so we can really narrow down where to spend the money, then order some new sails over winter. Prob a new main and A2. 

some more pics. Bryce and his crew at Above and Below Marine sprayed 2coats of interprotect then International Ultra on the hull and Warpaint pink on the keel and rutter. not the right shade (it’s kinda purple) but pickings are slim in the pink antifoul department. Very pleased so far. 

539BD194-FC06-42D7-A914-3D5598929117.jpeg

47CFACEF-5754-4D72-B482-3DECA475A87C.jpeg

F11949BE-9904-4352-B780-CB34B1037D95.jpeg

73744D20-D508-4FE0-9C07-9DBA06F94BF7.jpeg

• Like 6

Exciting times Alcatraz... congrats again and thanks for sharing your fine work. Many good ideas and home brewed solutions, all well documented.

That Ultra is good paint. You should be happy with that choice.

Your rig looks a lot like mine except for the spreader sweep... which I wish I had.

Very professional job there Traz - looks great.

Man, that is the strangest rutter placement I have ever seen!

Keep up the good work. When do we get to see her in the water?