Alcatraz5768

Alcatraz

In March 2013 I saw a boat that and fell in love with it for no good reason, we used it for a year then in March 2014 embarked on what would be a Six year rebuild. We chopped the wings off it, put a new keel, rudder, cockpit, paint, engine, wiring, essentially a brand-new 1983 boat. I didn’t do this by myself and I couldn’t have done this by myself, there are many people that have contributed greatly, not only physically but keeping me going when all I wanted to do is chop it up put it in the landfill. Obviously Danielle and the kids for being without me for so long when I’m working on the bloody thing, and making excuses at events they attended alone, my boys Bevan, Dale, Man stuff Monday crew, Mike Reese, Greg Elliott, Fosters, Sailutions, NZ fibreglass, Fineline Marine, Ultra paints,Above and Below Marine, pier 21, Boat Haulage, the forum members of Sailing Anarchy who kept demanding updates  plus many more who have helped enormously. I also need to thank my parents who taught me that there is nothing that I can’t do.

So after nearly 6 years Alcatraz is being launched today with a calendar of racing and cruising events lined up that will keep her as busy as she should be. 

Thank you everybody who helped on this project I couldn’t have done it without you.

1721668D-A565-45D7-B4DA-310B4A9DDF4A.jpeg

69D85C23-DD0A-44A4-85ED-A9CFC25F4535.jpeg

7CAD5532-12E9-45C4-93E8-379CC761A2D3.jpeg

DD39CDE9-ABA0-48A2-A358-34A26D4BD1A1.jpeg

083E1B2E-6242-4228-9187-D0CE63A17046.jpeg

• Like 13

Looks amazing!  Great work, and hope you guys have a blast!  Thank you for the awesome rebuild thread! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sudden5869 said:

Looks Mint.  Big ups for rescuing a great Kiwi race boat.  

Thanks bro. It was nice to meet you the other day, put a face to a name. 

1 hour ago, Sudden5869 said:

Looks Mint.  Big ups for rescuing a great Kiwi race boat.  

Thanks bro. It was nice to meet you the other day, put a face to a name. 

On 1/21/2020 at 10:13 AM, Clipper said:

Yep, herding a 2 year old and a 5 year old and carrying our bags from a day out!

Okay, if all that is true you are forgiven...this time!

On 1/21/2020 at 10:13 AM, Clipper said:

Yep, herding a 2 year old and a 5 year old and carrying our bags from a day out!

Okay, if all that is true you are forgiven...this time!

I see Alcatraz had the same echo problem I did. This s(h)ite sometimes...

Congrats, Alcatraz, she looks awesome!

As we would say in the US Navy, BRAVO ZULU!

I'm simply in awe of what you accomplished....

looking good, even for a pink boat....

Don't forget to keep posting photos and videos as she is out on the water. Will be very interested to hear how she performs in races 

Ok you've finished building now fuck off....

To Gt Barrier :)

Amazing, awesome work.  Fair winds!

Congrats! Lets see an interior pic when you get some time.

Kids look pumped! Happy cruising (and racing)!

Great work.  This has been one of the threads I'd check on a regular basis. It's been inspiring.

Now enjoy sailing it!,

• Like 1

Dang, seeing kids actually happy to be on dad's boat reminds me of the good old days. Thanks for the thread. Hope it makes a few people decide to make their own stuff like you did.

Nice job man, really nice.

Thanks again for the kind words team, I've been away camping for the last week but now back to do more finishing and rigging work. 

• Like 1

Congratulations, awesome job on all the work you've done.

So what's the next project for that empty hole in the driveway at home?

getting the rigging done slowly. My boy Evan from Fineline Marine fashioned me up a custom pink and black mainsheet and ran some of the cover so i could make some custom pink and black sail ties. these little details make me happy. 

D31AF93A-76BA-4AA9-B2F7-890436CDCE26.jpeg

15 hours ago, IStream said:

Toes are looking good.

I wouldn't go that far but at least the toes are not trying to turn themselves inside out anymore. Nice touch on the sail ties Alcatraz!

put the main on and the cover on it, pulled up the ap no3 and set up the down haulers, both operate together. going for a little sail on monday hopefully and will work out the range of the inhaulers. down haulers are 8:1 and through a clutch so they can go to a winch. inhaulers will be 8:1 to a cam cleat. 

496DE552-6A45-4560-AF92-0FB1FBB0DC49.jpeg

9FA1DDC7-F659-463E-9AB3-A83107CA41D5.jpeg

62E7F8A8-FB91-4DD4-BFA7-9EF659434E35.jpeg

8DECBCF2-B1E3-4CF2-8728-C3F627C2F2DC.jpeg

764E9C43-2E59-4A94-BCB2-7EA441152C41.jpeg

A1ED11FF-5E92-43C6-BBA8-3108493AAC61.jpeg

• Like 3

one side of the downhaulers has an adjustment so they can be tweaked so they are exactly the same. 

Don't ya mean "one side of the downhaulers has an adjustment so they can be tweaked so the the sail shape is exactly the same given the boat/gear aren't likely to be perfectly symmetrical"

2 hours ago, Crash said:

Don't ya mean "one side of the downhaulers has an adjustment so they can be tweaked so the the sail shape is exactly the same given the boat/gear aren't likely to be perfectly symmetrical"

Yeah, exactally. Well said. 

Redid the topmast backstay purchase after I sent no2 kid up the mast to fit the flicker. Connected the instruments up, now have to take the laptop down to configure it all. 

Getting closer. 

I had meant to follow along on this thread from the beginning, but like most threads, it got away from me after the first few months. Just did a marathon read through over this weekend and wow, awesome job with the boat. I'm seriously impressed with your skills, and the boat looks fantastic. I love the pink too. A PO of our boat was a fan of the pink and most of our spinnakers are pink with one that looks about the color of your boat. 

Again, awesome job and congrats on getting her back in the water!

Was down Q Pier on Thursday and stopped for a look. She's a wildly different beast to what she started as all those years ago. A great job done.Shall we get it IRC rated?

What with the Squealer green on the Motorboat and the pink bits on yours, all the Y11s and 1050s on Q pier look positively outdated.

Nice work.

Jono

Thanks guys. Been out a couple of times but there's still quite a bit to do, and to be honest I've got a lot on at the moment so I'm feeling a bit burnt out. Went away with wifey and 2 youngest, was a complete disaster, not enough prep, she cried, I yelled (at myself) kids had the best day ever (literally their words). Rum race coming Friday, then measure up for new main, a5 and a2. 

• Like 3

I was having a few rums on the motorboat on sunday after RNI and there were a lot of positive words about alcatraz floating around. 

Hey I just found this thread, sitting at home missing my boat. I read it from the start in one afternoon. Amazing job! Congratulations. I suppose there isnt much happening there  either, which is a shame. Keep us posted.

• Like 1

Well done! Boat looks amazing. Can't believe the transformation. But the cockpit lockers are begging for a lick of paint like you have done to the ones in the cockpit floor.

image.png.23d0bbc25a4c5fcf82b5d22081f438c7.png

On 4/12/2020 at 10:01 AM, thorpecameron said:

Well done! Boat looks amazing. Can't believe the transformation. But the cockpit lockers are begging for a lick of paint like you have done to the ones in the cockpit floor.

image.png.23d0bbc25a4c5fcf82b5d22081f438c7.png

I know right. Truth is I pushed really hard to get it in the water so I had to cut a few corners and am now I bit burned out on it. I'll probably spend winter getting it all sorted then get after it in the summer series. Just ordered an A5 though. 

Realities are likely more than  these: Accomplishment; Boat work is never done. You have the genes, the drive, the time and the satisfaction, which is now part of your world. Good on ya!

Would this experiece spread to the liars and bellclappers among us, who "hunch" there way through life to win their Darwin Awards too late, sadlyl 

13 hours ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

I know right. Truth is I pushed really hard to get it in the water so I had to cut a few corners and am now I bit burned out on it. I'll probably spend winter getting it all sorted then get after it in the summer series. Just ordered an A5 though. 

At least you can sail. 

And in the grand tradition of all good rebuilds she is now for sale at a very reasonable price.

Wish I had the funds available.

15 minutes ago, Jono said:

And in the grand tradition of all good rebuilds she is now for sale at a very reasonable price.

:o:blink:

• Like 1

Well, I guess painting those cockpit locker lids was just too much. Somebody is going to get one sweet boat!

4 hours ago, Jono said:

Damn , you and me both .

What a shame after all those years of work.

Hopefully its not a Covid influenced decision.

Alcatraz was good value on this forum. Hope he gets a good price for the boat.

He has learned much and will do whatever...if he is like moi, he will stick by water and keep this first rig...first loves are never far.