Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

n28678

Dinghy racing clubs around DC

Can any one recommend a good dinghy racing club in the Annapolis/ Baltimore/ DC area?

Southern Maryland Sailing Association (SMSA) in Solomons, MD

Laser

Buccaneer

Portsmouth

Consistent sea breeze and light powerboat traffic!

www.smsa.com

I can wholeheartedly endorse the great people down at SMSA. Already looking forward to my next trip to race down there!

closest to DC is DC sail and PRSA. The people at DC sail are great and it has more of a social sailing scene. there is competitive racing out of PRSA in the fleets mentioned. I sailed out of PRSA for years- racing is great, conditions challenging and the facilities-terrible. reminded me of the boss in Office Space. totally out of touch, hands-off & silly rules.

Farther out is SSA (~40 min) and West River (~50 min). Both with great atmospheres, SSA is (I believe) a bit bigger and more connected with the other racing in Annapolis (and the in-house catering is amazing!), West River has a big A-cat and F18 population.

SMSA I have no experience with and is certainly farther from DC (~1.5hrs) than any of the above options.

I have an odd ball boat. Do any of these clubs have any portsmouth racing?

I have an odd ball boat. Do any of these clubs have any portsmouth racing?

Yep we do! SMSA in Solomons, MD.

Every Thursday night, started last week and run through the end of September. This season we are running two starts, Laser and Portsmouth. Come on down!

That sounds like fun. We might be moving out that way soon, still waiting to find out. I will probably be looking for some crew when we get up there.

I belong to both SMSA and PRSA....both really fun clubs.

PRSA is right in Alexandria, easy to get to if you're living/working in the city. Potomac River is odd...but a whole lot of fun to sail on

No clubhouse...operates out of a park service marina...so membership/racing is dirt cheap ($90/year) People are really friendly and there are plenty of opportunities to get out sailing.

SMSA is 75 minutes from PRSA...easy drive down a very open highway...

Open portsmouth racing every Thursday night from 2nd week in April to 2nd week in September, several other weekend events throughout the year, onsite storage & hoist..descent clubhouse...of course friendly people...sailing is pretty darn good in Solomons..not big air like the left coast......but welcome to the east...