Pete Pollard

Weta anarchy

from Jonathan Weston, maybe we can get a few more sailors in Monterey, CA this weekend.

Due to low participation, and the fact that the top three sailors on the West Coast will be here, I've decided that we are going to sail singlehanded on Sunday. This might get a few more Singlehanded boats that can only commit to one day on Sunday, and give the crew a day off to play in Monterey. Here is the NOR.

NOR MPYC WETA FIRECRACKER REGATTA

Entry Fee: $50 payable to Monterey Peninsula Yacht Club on day of race. ($30 if just sailing Saturday, $25 if just sailing Sunday). YC Dinner SaturdayNight $20 per person.

Saturday, July 5

Inaugural Doublehanded Nationals

Doublehanded racing on open ocean course.

Each boat must carry at least a crew of two (Skipper and Crew).

Each race will consist of two laps with windward start and finish.

If there is a reaching mark set, reaching mark must be rounded to port on first lap.

Starting line to starboard of committee boat, finish to port.

No throw outs. Foul = 360

Scoring:

1st = 3 points

2nd = 2 points

3rd = 1 point

Boat with most points wins Inaugural Doublehanded Nationals.

Sunday, July 6th

Race of Champions

Singlehanded racing on open ocean course.

Each race will consist of two laps with windward finish.

If there is a reaching mark set, reaching mark must be rounded to port on first lap.

Scoring:

1st = 5 points

2nd = 3 points

3rd = 1 point

No throw outs. Foul = 360

Boat with most points wins.

Weta FIRECRACKER award goes to best score over two days.

Is the the first awlgripped Weta? Got tired of yellow and I swear it's faster.

That's an excellent color on your weta... looks great..

Have you also applied fast orange to the daggerboard and rudder? Thats even faster

Have you also applied fast orange to the daggerboard and rudder? Thats even faster
Excellent suggestion. I might need an exit hatch on the main hull too.

In S.W Florida, my guess is baby barnacles in only a few days this time of year. Not good!

TP, if you're sailing it every day on your expedition, it shouldn't be a problem. The problem is when its sitting still with no water flow to brush new growth off. We have had really good success with EP2000 on Osprey, moored at a dock year round. It's photo-reactive, releasing hydrogen peroxide with sun exposure. Lighter colors of the paint work better.

Just bought a used weta today, picking it up on Tuesday.

I have a few questions, I hope it's the right place if not don't hesitate to point me in the right direction.

- The weta I just bought needs some TLC after few years of neglect under the sun and cormorans digestive excretion due to overeating of anchovies but it is structurally sound (yes it was love at first sight). Any advice on gelcoat/paint job ideal scenario and things to avoid (aside from an ugly color) to give it a fresh new face. Type of gelcoat, and paint ideal to work with.

- I have seen on a video of some san francisco wetaists a neat jib stay holder with a ring to lead the gennacker furling line, and was wondering if it is a custom job or if it is just the current deck fitting (that I may be able to buy).

- I am about to install a hitch on my car to pick up the weta on tuesday, and was wondering what is the diameter of the ball and if the trailer has an electrical connection or not.

Thanks in advance for reading a newbie.

D

Welcome to the Weta fleet! There is a forum on yahoo that you can check out - https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Weta-Trimarans/info and also check out the tips and tricks page on the website - http://www.wetamarine.com/owners/tips-and-tricks and the owner's locker - http://www.wetamarine.com/owners/owner-s-locker

Hope to see you at nationals! They are at Richmond Yacht Club in San Fran October 3 - 5. Also two stalwarts of the class live near you - Bruce Fleming and Robert Shirley. I'm sure they'd be happy to help out and welcome another keen owner. If you post on the yahoo forum they are there under their names. Unfortunately you have just missed the Summer Sailstice training camp but there are more get togethers coming up - you can check out the racing calendar on wetanorthamerica.com - http://www.wetanorthamerica.com/#!calendar/c1t44

I do marketing for Weta, I've only been the US once for Weta (WetaFest in Florida earlier this year) but I feel like I know everyone as I cover all the Weta events and try to get press out for them.

Cheers,

Miranda

Hi Miranda,

Thanks a lot for the links, I will definitely jump on these forums for more answers. When it comes to nationals, I think I first need to tame the beast before I can even consider turning around a buoy with anyone else but a seagull, as I have have never sailed one before. We will see how quickly I can adapt, the least I can do is come to SF as it is not too bad of a trip.

Thanks for doing the videos by the way, they were very useful in me deciding on getting a weta, great job!

Best,

David

Great, glad you are enjoying the videos!

I'm sure you'll pick it up quickly it's pretty easy to sail, just got to get used to the width. I might have run over a mark or two when I started sailing them....

Cheers

Just heard back from Juana's and they say "no problem". There are a bunch of Weta's in that area, yes? Surely we can put a fleet together.

Hell, Sept. 7th is my 40th anniversary! If I can talk my wife into a regatta on that weekend (I already have), surely some more of you can manage.

How to sail your Weta without using the helm

Just a fun video, would love to see some owner attempts at doing the same thing!

Cheers,

Miranda

Yeh, the speeds were clear when I posted to Youtube, don't know what happened. Best I recall top speed was 5.6 mph but mostly 3-4.

I want to get some thunderstorm activity. It is very common here, I just wonder if people in the other parts of Weta world experience the same thing. June through August they occur daily, often more than once.

If it wasn't for thunderstorms nearly every other afternoon here, we'd have to stop sailing from June through August. Not smart to go out in them, but you get to jonesing about sailing and decide you just have to go. I tried to outrun one last week. Barely made it back to the shore before the bottom fell out. Wind capsized the boat while it was under bare poles.

Wind capsized the boat barepoled while on the water with you on it, or was it on the trailer onshore? (of course that wouldn´t be a capsize)

If it wasn't for thunderstorms nearly every other afternoon here, we'd have to stop sailing from June through August. Not smart to go out in them, but you get to jonesing about sailing and decide you just have to go. I tried to outrun one last week. Barely made it back to the shore before the bottom fell out. Wind capsized the boat while it was under bare poles.

Wind capsized the boat barepoled while on the water with you on it, or was it on the trailer onshore? (of course that wouldn´t be a capsize)

I had taken the boat up the beach a bit and dropped all sails. The wind blew it completely over, not turtled mind you, as it could only go over so far on the ground. So technically I guess you're right - it wasn't a "capsize" but rather a "turn over."

We should be able to do this. Maybe not me, being old, fat and lazy but someone could.

http://sailinganarchy.com/2014/07/23/other-than-the-horse-piss-it-was-awesome/

Some facts of interest about our race:

• Fastest average speed over 100m: 14.68 kts

• Fastest instantaneous speed: 15.4 kts

• 1st in Double-handed division

• 43rd out of 317 in overall ORR results

So what if we set up a Weta Mackinaw-to-St. Ignace-or-Mackinaw to Mackinaw Island race. 5 mile race across the straits and under the Bridge. Sailing probably similar to what the west coast guys are always talking about on SF bay. It would be fun to get a group of wetas and go camping and sailing in the UP an hang with the Yoopers (http://bigstory.ap.org/article/merriam-webster-adds-da-yoopers-dictionary).

My apologies, I had no intention of dragging the Mackinaw race into the discussion. I was just wondering what a serious distance sailor could do with a Weta.

On the other hand, You guys should go for it!

So how 'bout it, how fast could you expect an expert on a Weta to sail 100 miles?

Hopefully someone will complete the Everglades challenge on a Weta one day.

I'd guess that with an angle cracked sheets to broad reach you could conservatively average 8-10 knots over 100 miles, provided there was wind of course. In ideal conditions you could probably average 12 knots. The boat will get to 13-14 very easily and top speeds of around 18-19 knots.

I'm pretty keen to do the Coastal Classic (unofficially) on a Weta it's about 120 miles, on the 24th of October from Auckland to Russel, anyone want to come down and join me?? http://www.coastalclassic.co.nz/

10410465_10152559598270874_8373461784268

Jennifer-Kroon-2.jpg

The Notice of Race for the US Weta Nationals has been released. You can check out all the info and register for the regatta on the Richmond Yacht Club website.

Roger Kitchen is going to visit on his way to the US Sailboat Show in Annapolis, he'll be doing an informal Q&A on Friday night about all things Weta, this is a great opportunity to hear all the stories from the founder of the Weta himself.

Chris and Phil from West Coast Sailing will come down, they can deliver parts and help out with rigging and tuning, contact West Coast Sailing to order parts and ask about charter boats. Charters will also be available from Pierpont Performance Sailing.

Schedule

Thursday 10/2 -- Weta Rigging and Sailing Clinic: Sharpen your skills on and off the water with veteran Weta sailor and San Francisco bay local, Dave Berntsen, who will offer rigging advice and some smooth water practice races inside the Richmond Harbor jetty.

Friday 10/3 -- Golden Gate Dash Hit the water, if you dare, for an informal long-distance adventure race all the way to the historic Golden Gate Bridge and back, beginning with a rabbit start in Richmond Harbor. Then it’s up through Raccoon Straits, taking in views of historic Angel Island and Tiburon. Venture into the rapid currents of the Golden Gate, where if the weather is nice, we will regroup and continue to the Marin Headlands. A second start will begin the downwind ride – through the slot between Angel Island and Alcatraz, jibing around the island to the finish at the mouth of Richmond Harbor. Support boat will be provided by Dave Berntsen. This is a hi-wind skilled sailors only event and will not count towards the Nationals trophy, but prizes will be provided for the cumulative results. Tie goes to the upwind winner!

Saturday & Sunday 10/4 & 5 One-Design Weta Racing Around the buoys courses, hosted by Richmond Yacht Club as part of their Multihull Invitational in the challenging waters of San Francisco Bay in the area of Southampton Shoal, Keller Cove, or the northern portion of the Berkeley Sailing Circle. If it’s windy, local Dave “Davo” Berntsen is the favorite to beat. If it’s light, Marc Simmel is one to bet on. How many visitors can we get to shake up the scene? Promises to show up have been made by Jim Leonard, Mike Mead, John Luzius, and the Austin crew!

The Richmond Yacht Club Multihull Regatta is a local favorite, with great race management, and casual club dinners Saturday and Sunday for reasonable prices.

Lodging options

Berkeley is a cute town on the East Bay, about six miles from RYC, or you can cross the bridge to Marin, (Marin Valley, San Anselmo, Tiburon, Sausalito area) would be ideal for people wanting to get the most out of the area and be close enough to the sailing venue. The cheapest options are definitely found at airbnb.com from 60-150 per night.

https://www.airbnb.com/s/berkeley-CA?checkin=10%2F02%2F2014&checkout=10%2F05%2F2014&guests=2

The only drawback here is that you can't cancel out easily, so you have to be committed to the event, which is not a bad thing. But hotels are easier to check in and out of and you don't have to deal with hosts - a price to pay for that, ranging from about 150-300 per night. The good news is that this is low season, so while those prices may seem high, they are low for the area. If you want to stay in the city, there are many hotel options there. Trivago, Orbitz, Hotels.com will be your best guide.

Camping is on the other side of the bridge as well (talking the Richmond Bridge here in all cases) at China Camp State Park. You can reserve. Nice bike trails if you have the energy for that.

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=466

Slumming options could include a yacht club member's boat if you can arrange that with Davo, or even Van Rental crashing. Renting an RV or van can be found online with many options with an RV had for about 200 per day.

Of course, if you drive from Texas or Florida in an RV or Van you will have your digs right there or in your toy trailer. The parking lot at the YC is gated and seems very secure. While Richmond is no sight to see, the YC itself is on the other side of the mountain bay side in a beautiful harbor, which leads out onto a great harbor to sail flat water in, which leads out to SF Bay and the best racing site for sailing Weta's this side of Alabama.

Thanks Miranda for the update!!

Here's a little vid from this past weekend...... first time I tried my version 1.0 of twin tillers.

I'm pretty keen to do the Coastal Classic (unofficially) on a Weta it's about 120 miles, on the 24th of October from Auckland to Russel, anyone want to come down and join me??

i'd be interested

crewing with you

or in a rental boat

last time i did that route

was over 3 days with the military

in a fleet of montague whalers

post-23477-0-00854200-1406662430_thumb.jpg

Thanks Miranda for the update!!

Here's a little vid from this past weekend...... first time I tried my version 1.0 of twin tillers.

haha love them!

I'm pretty keen to do the Coastal Classic (unofficially) on a Weta it's about 120 miles, on the 24th of October from Auckland to Russel, anyone want to come down and join me??

i'd be interested

crewing with you

or in a rental boat

last time i did that route

was over 3 days with the military

in a fleet of montague whalers

attachicon.gifmontague whaler.jpg

Cool! I've gota convince Roger or someone to drive chase boat and someone else to drive the road trailer and dolly's up the coast. If we have two boats it would be better to have one each, bit faster if it's off the wind. PM me your email and I can keep you in the loop

WetaFresh was pretty successful, 8 boats where last year there was one keen owner (Tim Wieringa, who did a great job organizing the regatta). The report and link to results is up on the Weta website - http://www.wetamarine.com/about/news/730-wetafresh-goes-off

There was also a drone there, who did a little whoopsie while filming the beach...

1623683_10152286046121169_48227281458330

The DJI Phantom drone has a rep for fly aways. Actually all drones have fly away problems but DJI gets the brunt of the reputation. I own one and have about $2000 into it so I pay attention to these issues. The DFW drone guy had mechanical failure at Wetafest, not fly away. I think in large part fly away problems are caused by everything being on one frequency now. 2.4Ghz. I'm adding a LRS system (long range system) to mine which switches it to 400Mhz and nothing lives there. Anyways, I hope his bird was repairable. At least it was fresh water.

Dave,

Nice job on the tillers. Your brackets are a nice touch - able to keep the tillers out of the water when the boat is well heeled but still allow you to move them up and forward when sitting further towards the bow. Nicely done.

What is your impression after having sailed the boat with twin tillers?

Dave,

Nice job on the tillers. Your brackets are a nice touch - able to keep the tillers out of the water when the boat is well heeled but still allow you to move them up and forward when sitting further towards the bow. Nicely done.

What is your impression after having sailed the boat with twin tillers?

My first reaction was forgetting I had 2 tillers but once I got over that, they seem great. The main reason for me having 2 is that my boat handling skills suffer in high winds and it's mostly due to tiller f'k ups. It gets stuck under hiking strap, tramp or wrapped around kite sheet. The support brakets worked fine. There was no real added friction. But the thing is that I haven't tested it yet in wind conditons I want. I'm also worried that those supports are looking to snag a kite sheet as well. so we will see.

They might, or might not. I just went with short rope leashes for simplicity. They don't offer a "snag point" and you can simply toss one tiller away and pick up the other. You don't have to carefully set it in anything. I briefly thought about using a bungee, but quickly reasoned that if you heeled enough and got the end of one in the water, it might stretch the bungee and then slingshot it back at the rear aka... or yourself.

I'll be interested to see how you like yours after a few more outings. Good luck.

NZSailorChick,

For heavy air, pre-cleat the jib sheet on the new side first. Release the jib sheet (lazy sheet on new jibe) as you cross the boat or at the start of the jibe to avoid backwinding the jib.

BTW: Nice to see that you are wearing the harness.

I got some advice from Miranda earlier, and wondered what those of you with furling jibs when using the Screecher mostly downwind. I've tried both furling the jib and keeping it out, and find little difference. Can anyone confirm that furling the jib allows more air to reach the Screecher? While it seems logical, I can't say I can tell any difference.

I keep the main roughly at the side of the cockpit, since it's working on the apparent wind. This might not hold true in very, very light air days, but otherwise I can't see letting it out very far.

I got some advice from Miranda earlier, and wondered what those of you with furling jibs when using the Screecher mostly downwind. I've tried both furling the jib and keeping it out, and find little difference. Can anyone confirm that furling the jib allows more air to reach the Screecher? While it seems logical, I can't say I can tell any difference.

I think folks can argue both sides of this but I've raced side by side with me furled and the other not without any distinct difference at all.

in my experience

if the wind is light - always furl the jib

if the wind is strong - always furl the jib

if the wind is average, and you are doing short downwind gybes - fuel the jib

if the wind is average and you are on the 1, very small, point of sail where the jib can hold it's shape enough to add some drive, and you are going to stay on that point of sail for a long time...

- don't bother furling the jib

not many wetas have furling jibs

and the advantage from furling or not furling

isn't as big as correct weight placement

ie in light conditions having a furling jib and using it well

still won't make up for the drag from a sucking transom caused by sitting too far back

That's why in light air during regattas I don't sit towards the stern. I stay closer to the center of the cockpit both fore and aft and side to side.

But if having the jib out is costing me anything, and since I can easily remove it, I'll furl it if that's the better idea. So far I just can't tell any difference.

That's why in light air during regattas I don't sit towards the stern. I stay closer to the center of the cockpit both fore and aft and side to side.

But if having the jib out is costing me anything, and since I can easily remove it, I'll furl it if that's the better idea. So far I just can't tell any difference.

On the other hand, furling the jib gives you slightly better visibility under the screacher while thundering downwind and one less line to pull during a jibe.

I was on holiday last week sorry guys! Miles (boyfriend) at Cardrona in the South Island....

10628309_10152621795080874_6054810952687

Anyway I never race with the furling jib, to slow upwind, but I would recommend furling unless sailing on quite a high reach. But like Pete said the main and not over sheeting the screecher is more important...

When racing single handed, do you leave the gennaker hoisted upwind, or hoist and douse at the marks?....If you hoist and douse, how the heck do you do it and steer the boat?!

When racing single handed, do you leave the gennaker hoisted upwind, or hoist and douse at the marks?....If you hoist and douse, how the heck do you do it and steer the boat?!

Douse, and that's the fun! My personal method is the Chinese fire drill but others will have more effective methods. Also, that's one place double handers will have a definite advantage.

There is a cleat so you can steer and sheet one handed. It's a little awkward but some are very good at it.

This is most everything you need to know: http://www.wetamarine.com/owners/tips-and-tricks

I leave mind up. If you get a nice, neat, tight furl and there is any wind to amount to anything, I doubt it creates sufficient drag to cut you speed by any practical amount. The larger 12.9 Screecher is another matter. It's cut full enough that you can't get a tight furl on it and it'll bag at the top. When the wind gets up much at all it'll pull the sail open and you can feel the drag. But then, if there is much wind, you won't have that one up anyway.

Everybody that I know of leave the gennaker up at all times. The stock halyard is not long enough to douse. Some people have experimented with "hoist and douse," but nobody does it consistently.

All of the racing I have done has been on short W/L courses, so dousing would not be advantageous enough to be worth the hassle. However, I can certainly see the advantage of it on a long, random leg course.

I only have the big gennaker, hope to pick up a regular size one at the Annapolis Boat Show. With the big one, I leave it up but the one time I have sailed so far in over 12 knots of breeze it started to unfurl. The big gennaker came with a turning block \ cleat that is supposed to be riveted to the mast and then the halyard is fed through that. It would make it easier to raise and lower the sail but so far I have been hesitant to drill holes in the mast.

Everybody that I know of leave the gennaker up at all times. The stock halyard is not long enough to douse. Some people have experimented with "hoist and douse," but nobody does it consistently.

All of the racing I have done has been on short W/L courses, so dousing would not be advantageous enough to be worth the hassle. However, I can certainly see the advantage of it on a long, random leg course.

My bad, I was thinking furl.