Pete Pollard

Weta anarchy

1. As I trailer my boat to the sailing club I keep my foils in the foil bag to avoid damage but put it in the bottom of the cockpit.

4. The T-balls of the shrouds could scratch the Gelcoat in the cockpit so I coil my shrouds on top of the tramp. Then thread the mainsheet through them before clipping the hook to the mast step and tightening it to hold the amas in place. No knots or bungee required.

i use the traveller bridle but instead of re-tying it every time,  I put the mainsheet block out of the way over the stern of the boat then pull the bridle loops below the hole for the ama arm in the hull before inserting the arm.

I’ve also put 2m longer tramp tie  lines on the tramp so it can remain attached to the hull at the front when the amas are stowed. Once the amas are inserted you just pull through the excess line at the stern and coil it like the halyards which gives you a neat handhold to tension it with.

On 6/6/2018 at 9:39 PM, Pewit said:

I’ve also put 2m longer tramp tie  lines on the tramp so it can remain attached to the hull at the front when the amas are stowed. Once the amas are inserted you just pull through the excess line at the stern and coil it like the halyards which gives you a neat handhold to tension it with.

Great idea. I'm using a ball and loop arrangement, but this sounds even simpler. I'll give it whirl tomorrow.

Are you still going 2:1 through the block and tying off on the tramp eyelet?

@Pewit

Tramp line configuration works great. That another 2-minutes off the rigging time.

Bowsprit damage

Was out sailing our new weta, model from 2013, but taken in use this year. This was only seventh time out. 

Wind was approximately 6m/s, had the screecher up and trying to make the next buoy without rolling it in. So we're going as much upwind as possible. Then this happens. 

Measured the sidewall thickness at the breaking point to around 1.3-1.5mm in the bowsprit. I haven't seen any previous reports of bowsprit breaking like this. Could there be some manufacturing issue with this particular one or is this normal on the weta. 

Brgrds

Fredrik 

I’ve broken my bowsprit in a similar situation in strong winds when trying to point up because the flogging of the sail can put sudden stress on the carbon.

While carbon can withstand significant stress it doesn’t resist sudden impacts well.

if it starts to flog you have to either bear away or furl the kite.

Of course it may have been weakened by previous stress or impacts.

You could sleeve it to repair it with an internal carbon tube, but it would always be a risk of failure in future and new bowsprits are available from Weta dealers.

2 hours ago, Pewit said:

I’ve broken my bowsprit in a similar situation in strong winds when trying to point up because the flogging of the sail can put sudden stress on the carbon.

While carbon can withstand significant stress it doesn’t resist sudden impacts well.

if it starts to flog you have to either bear away or furl the kite.

Of course it may have been weakened by previous stress or impacts.

You could sleeve it to repair it with an internal carbon tube, but it would always be a risk of failure in future and new bowsprits are available from Weta dealers.

Whiskers?

Generally, the screecher is not an upwind sail. The loads on the pole are really different. Most of the time, the screecher will not improve your performance close-hauled or near close-hauled. Happy Sailing!

Another mods that people may want to consider is adding a lanyard to the outside of the ama access hatches.

I had a bit of trouble this weekend in some viscous conditions (wind @ 30+ with gusts into the 40's, waves ungodly). Capsized the boat during a bare-away (4th capsize in 10+ years of Weta sailing) and stuck the mast in the mud. While trying to right the boat, the leeward ama, the one I needed to flood, was a couple of feet below the water. I couldn't get the hatch off even through it was turning freely. I think the water pressure was holding the hatch in place. It took me several minutes, with an fast approaching rocky lee shore, to pry the hatch free. Almost lost the boat, but luckily only ended up with some minor injuries and a broken main batten and cracked mast track. And I lost my f'ing hat!

So I'd recommend a small piece of line or handle attached to the hatches that will allow them to be easily pulled off regardless of any water pressure.

Ok, thanks for the comments! It was only a short way to the buoy. I guess we learned the hard way what you mentioned and what apparently also is in the weta manual. 

We will get a new pole from weta this time, so good service there! Lesson learned.