Pete Pollard

Weta anarchy

1. As I trailer my boat to the sailing club I keep my foils in the foil bag to avoid damage but put it in the bottom of the cockpit.

4. The T-balls of the shrouds could scratch the Gelcoat in the cockpit so I coil my shrouds on top of the tramp. Then thread the mainsheet through them before clipping the hook to the mast step and tightening it to hold the amas in place. No knots or bungee required.

i use the traveller bridle but instead of re-tying it every time,  I put the mainsheet block out of the way over the stern of the boat then pull the bridle loops below the hole for the ama arm in the hull before inserting the arm.

I’ve also put 2m longer tramp tie  lines on the tramp so it can remain attached to the hull at the front when the amas are stowed. Once the amas are inserted you just pull through the excess line at the stern and coil it like the halyards which gives you a neat handhold to tension it with.

On 6/6/2018 at 9:39 PM, Pewit said:

I’ve also put 2m longer tramp tie  lines on the tramp so it can remain attached to the hull at the front when the amas are stowed. Once the amas are inserted you just pull through the excess line at the stern and coil it like the halyards which gives you a neat handhold to tension it with.

Great idea. I'm using a ball and loop arrangement, but this sounds even simpler. I'll give it whirl tomorrow.

Are you still going 2:1 through the block and tying off on the tramp eyelet?

@Pewit

Tramp line configuration works great. That another 2-minutes off the rigging time.

• Like 1

Bowsprit damage

Was out sailing our new weta, model from 2013, but taken in use this year. This was only seventh time out. 

Wind was approximately 6m/s, had the screecher up and trying to make the next buoy without rolling it in. So we're going as much upwind as possible. Then this happens. 

Measured the sidewall thickness at the breaking point to around 1.3-1.5mm in the bowsprit. I haven't seen any previous reports of bowsprit breaking like this. Could there be some manufacturing issue with this particular one or is this normal on the weta. 

Brgrds

Fredrik 

I’ve broken my bowsprit in a similar situation in strong winds when trying to point up because the flogging of the sail can put sudden stress on the carbon.

While carbon can withstand significant stress it doesn’t resist sudden impacts well.

if it starts to flog you have to either bear away or furl the kite.

Of course it may have been weakened by previous stress or impacts.

You could sleeve it to repair it with an internal carbon tube, but it would always be a risk of failure in future and new bowsprits are available from Weta dealers.

2 hours ago, Pewit said:

I’ve broken my bowsprit in a similar situation in strong winds when trying to point up because the flogging of the sail can put sudden stress on the carbon.

While carbon can withstand significant stress it doesn’t resist sudden impacts well.

if it starts to flog you have to either bear away or furl the kite.

Of course it may have been weakened by previous stress or impacts.

You could sleeve it to repair it with an internal carbon tube, but it would always be a risk of failure in future and new bowsprits are available from Weta dealers.

Whiskers?

Generally, the screecher is not an upwind sail. The loads on the pole are really different. Most of the time, the screecher will not improve your performance close-hauled or near close-hauled. Happy Sailing!

Another mods that people may want to consider is adding a lanyard to the outside of the ama access hatches.

I had a bit of trouble this weekend in some viscous conditions (wind @ 30+ with gusts into the 40's, waves ungodly). Capsized the boat during a bare-away (4th capsize in 10+ years of Weta sailing) and stuck the mast in the mud. While trying to right the boat, the leeward ama, the one I needed to flood, was a couple of feet below the water. I couldn't get the hatch off even through it was turning freely. I think the water pressure was holding the hatch in place. It took me several minutes, with an fast approaching rocky lee shore, to pry the hatch free. Almost lost the boat, but luckily only ended up with some minor injuries and a broken main batten and cracked mast track. And I lost my f'ing hat!

So I'd recommend a small piece of line or handle attached to the hatches that will allow them to be easily pulled off regardless of any water pressure.

Ok, thanks for the comments! It was only a short way to the buoy. I guess we learned the hard way what you mentioned and what apparently also is in the weta manual. 

We will get a new pole from weta this time, so good service there! Lesson learned. 

West Coast Weta Happy 10th Anniversary! It was 10 years ago today that our beloved Wetas arrived on the west coast of the US. Ten boats (#148 - #157) arrived via container to Richmond Yacht Club to nine owners that had never seen one or sailed one. It is still one of my favorite boats.

Stuffed to the gills...

DSC01482.thumb.JPG.ad0dd471a28025f0f6490085675d128e.JPG

• Like 1

Lotta amas...

DSC01486.thumb.JPG.45b6659c3f27338e81d28f3abfd4ddb1.JPG

einee, meani, miney, mo ....

catch a Weta by the toe? yeah, in the process of doing so after selling my much loved Corsair 24 after 14 years.

120kg off the beach sounds easier than 1200kg off the mooring, just a bit wetter?

• Like 1

On 6/11/2018 at 2:22 PM, bhyde said:

Another mods that people may want to consider is adding a lanyard to the outside of the ama access hatches.

I had a bit of trouble this weekend in some viscous conditions (wind @ 30+ with gusts into the 40's, waves ungodly). Capsized the boat during a bare-away (4th capsize in 10+ years of Weta sailing) and stuck the mast in the mud. While trying to right the boat, the leeward ama, the one I needed to flood, was a couple of feet below the water. I couldn't get the hatch off even through it was turning freely. I think the water pressure was holding the hatch in place. It took me several minutes, with an fast approaching rocky lee shore, to pry the hatch free. Almost lost the boat, but luckily only ended up with some minor injuries and a broken main batten and cracked mast track. And I lost my f'ing hat!

So I'd recommend a small piece of line or handle attached to the hatches that will allow them to be easily pulled off regardless of any water pressure.

The new boats all have a line to the hatches. If you’re retro-fitting one then you may be better to use shock cord instead of line as it has some give if the lid catches the water whereas the line might break.

4 hours ago, offtherails said:

catch a Weta by the toe? yeah, in the process of doing so after selling my much loved Corsair 24 after 14 years.

120kg off the beach sounds easier than 1200kg off the mooring, just a bit wetter?

Keith Chidzy (Chidz) is also downsizing from a Corsair Sprint 75

Are these latest pictures of brand new WETAS ( hope so ) or the original shipment from 10 years ago? Hope the WETA is thriving on the west coast.

37 minutes ago, Pewit said:

The new boats all have a line to the hatches. If you’re retro-fitting one then you may be better to use shock cord instead of line as it has some give if the lid catches the water whereas the line might break.

Yeah, my boat (#572) has the retention line on the inside like all the other boats, it's the outside that was causing me problems. The lack of grip and water pressure wouldn't allow me to get the hatch off. The 1-2m waves and 30+ kts of wind didn't help either. A little lanyard or handle on the outside would solve that problem. Capsizing the boat in shallow water (<mast height) puts the leeward ama well under water making for a more entertaining recovery. Deep water is not a problem since the hatches are more or less at water level.

1 minute ago, xonk1 said:

Are these latest pictures of brand new WETAS ( hope so ) or the original shipment from 10 years ago? Hope the WETA is thriving on the west coast.

Those are from 10 years ago. Hull numbers 148 thru 157. Notice the green one. Kind of a rarity.

7 hours ago, offtherails said:

Ooo Grahame ..  you sly doooog! hope to join you soon ... if only  I can move my lil beasty [hamstrung by finances :-( ]

3 hours ago, Pewit said:

Keith Chidzy (Chidz) is also downsizing from a Corsair Sprint 75 

& Paul - get the spelling right ;-) ... hopefully you will get sick of me soon enough ... mwhaha

and we're house sitting at Cronulla from Xmas thru Jan, so better get your show on the road Chidz

might have to come down for a quite bevvie ...

has weta interenational adopted the new ratings for light weight boats and square top mains?

I ask this because there are a few unhappy weta sailors in my club sailing older heavier boats which are now uncompetitive and unsaleable .

the local agent is now sailing a new boat against us , he was quick before now he is super quick and says there is no need for a ratings adjustment for equity. i hope australian weta assoc. sorts this out otherwise members will desert the assoc.

RL

7 minutes ago, rodlaser said:

has weta interenational adopted the new ratings for light weight boats and square top mains?

I ask this because there are a few unhappy weta sailors in my club sailing older heavier boats which are now uncompetitive and unsaleable .

the local agent is now sailing a new boat against us , he was quick before now he is super quick and says there is no need for a ratings adjustment for equity. i hope australian weta assoc. sorts this out otherwise members will desert the assoc.

RL

I’m not a Weta sailor but see plenty at my club.

If you’re sailing in Aus it’s sorted. The AS rating from last season shows different ratings for the different configurations. 

3 hours ago, rodlaser said:

has weta international adopted the new ratings for light weight boats and square top mains?

RL

Hi Rod

It's up to the local Class Association to decide how they will adapt the ratings for new lightweight boats and larger mainsail.

I own #325 (built 2009 in China) and #1148 (built 2017 in Batam) and I recently weighed my old boat

My main hull came in at 65Kg which is under the current weight of the new foam core main hull at 72Kg. My floats were around the same weight of the current foam core boats (17.5Kg) but I have added carbon saddles either side to strengthen the seating point on the amas and I didn't remove the tramps or gennaker blocks.

When the French developed their rules in 2012 they measured and weighed a sample of 5 boats to develop the specification.

This showed a minimum main hull weight of 67Kg, amas at 17.5Kg (without tramps) and average fully rigged weight of 125Kg with a minimum of 120Kg.

My 2017 boat is much heavier than the old one - especially the amas - if only I could stop the amas leaking on the old one it would be a light-wind flyer!

The 2017/18 Victoria Yardsticks are here but they've given the default as the foam core boat with the SQ 9.3 sail whereas most Wetas in Australia are still honeycomb core with the pin-head 8.3 main.

So I know one of the actions that Hamish agreed to take on at the Australian Weta Class AGM, was to write to the VY committee and ask them to change it so the default is the honeycomb core/pinhead/solo sailor combination with adjustments for foam/sq/2-up.

The French have also done extensive testing with their national sailing body and their adjustments are similar to ours and they used these successfully at the 2018 European Weta Championships on Lake Garda.

However, I would add that the results from the US Weta Nationals were inconclusive. They all used the pin-head sail and a mix of foam/honeycomb core but Randy Smythe still won in a 2010 boat   -  although he did have new sails after the first few races - and the top 10 were a mix of foam and honeycomb.

I think the new bi-radial jib and mainsails are a significant improvement as they are a much better shape compared with the Tri-radial Gaastra and Norths - also the kite seems to be a bit fuller according to reports.

Paul

UK Weta Dealer wanted

https://www.wetamarine.com/news-and-events/weta-dealer-opportunity-in-the-uk/ 

A position has become available in the UK for someone to join the worldwide network of Weta dealers.

• The Weta is a New Zealand One Design trimaran designed in 2004 by a team of talented dinghy sailors. It is manufactured in Indonesia by Xtreme Sailing Products who have 20+ years’ experience building quality sailboats.

• The Weta trimaran is the most versatile sailing dinghy on the market with a proven record of quality, performance, simplicity, stability and lightness. It is a unique multihull in the way it easily dismantles to the footprint of a monohull. It is also priced competitively.

• There are 29 Weta dealers worldwide with over 1200 boats manufactured with 50 in the UK.

• Many Weta are family boats but the Weta was also selected by World Sailing for the 2017 Masters Games for quality international racing.

• Regular Weta regattas are held in UK, France, Sweden, USA, Australia and New Zealand.

If you are a passionate sailor and would like to further expand the Weta fleet in the UK then you would find joining the Weta team very rewarding.

It is always a pleasure to market a quality boat that is a delight to sail. You would have the support of an established owner’s association and a manufacturer who backs their product.

For enquiries and expressions of interest in dealerships please do not hesitate to contact:

Roger Kitchen
Weta Marine
roger@wetamarine.com
+64 276244237

Wow, I had a ride today on a Weta... I was impressed with this.  Makes it really easy to sail very fast. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, unShirley said:

er, Bob....my Weta was #147

Sorry Bob. I typo'd that one.