• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Royal tour: Duchess of Cambridge rules the waves after beating Duke in Auckland yacht race Duchess of Cambridge gives husband cheeky victory salute after sailing past him when the royal couple tried their hand at racing America's Cup sailing boats in New Zealand

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/theroyalfamily/10759230/Royal-tour-Duchess-of-Cambridge-rules-the-waves-after-beating-Duke-in-Auckland-yacht-race.html

"There are no friends on the water, though. No quarter given. I'm sure that Prince William would not want to be beaten by his wife."

He added that they would both get a chance to drive their boats. "There are no passengers. They are fully participating members of the team."

The Duke was in NZL 68, a former training boat for Team New Zealand. The Duchess was in NZL 41, which previously raced under the Japanese flag in the Louis Vuitton series.

Sailing: TNZ look to feature in Round the World Race

Sailing commentator Peter Montgomery says the race desperately wants Team New Zealand to participate and Team New Zealand are keen and ready, but money is the key issue.

Operations manager Kevin Shoebridge has returned from Spain after crucial discussions with race organiser Knut Frostad.

More details are expected to emerge later this week

Team NZ opt out of Volvo Ocean Race

Team New Zealand has announced they will not be competing in the 2014/15 edition of the Volvo Ocean Race.
In recent weeks, the team had explored a joint challenge with Spanish interests, but chief executive Grant Dalton said the team was not convinced it could mount a successful challenge in the time available and the team's energies would be better directed towards the next America's Cup. The Volvo Ocean race starts at Alicante, Spain, on October 4 this year...........

"Opt out". Yes, I've "opted out" of a few things I cannot afford too.

This sends quite a message about the sponsorship marketplace.

Not really. I just says that there aren't a lot of sponsors interested in this race, at this price.

The real bummer is for nicho, who has been hard on the sponsor hunt for a year now. Shame. Maybe the kiddies can find the dough to snatch him up

Not really. I just says that there aren't a lot of sponsors interested in this race, at this price.

You won't find me arguing that pricing is unimportant. But when a well-known and successful team can't find a sponsor for a well-established event at a lower price point than previously, that says something about the sponsor marketplace. You don't need a GRIB file to see the way the wind blows.

The real bummer is for nicho, who has been hard on the sponsor hunt for a year now. Shame. Maybe the kiddies can find the dough to snatch him up

Indeed, oh indeed. OTOH, since the RMSR is one of Nico's favorites (and I will be there this year, yippieee!), there's hope for another, a different good one - from a personal PoV.

For us ETNZ fans it's sad, especially since the AC is so uninteresting ATM.

Could it be that the current VOR model, with one-design and "human interest coverage", sucks? Zero interest about what designs are going to work better in different conditions, etc. All talk about "stories", but completely inept at covering/promoting the coverage of the actual action? Treats those who have proven to be true fans of the event as brainless Reality TV mush heads that don't care about competition, but more about how people "feel".

Give me back the intrigue of development/innovation along with good coverage of the action and I will likely be interested, again. I have been totally unable to get interested in this version of VOR. As I have long said about the AC, the cost to develop and run the logistics has to be considered relative to the interest in the event. Cost savings should not be the overriding consideration.

Reality TV mush heads that don't care about competition, but more about how people "feel".

TV coverage of Ellen MacArthur emoting got millions of viewers for Kingfisher and is the only extensive sailing TV coverage of (fairly) recent years that attained mainstream British viewers by the million. You may sniff at it and it didn't float my boat either but as a commercial proposition, it got sponsor value.

MacArthur was, of course, also a hugely talented and competitive sailor but she was also skilled at the "TV personality" game.

Give me back the intrigue of development/innovation along with good coverage of the action

Both of those were available last time. Were you watching? I was, although the number of breakages took the shine off for me. Tough ODs don't seem such an awful idea to me.

What seemed to get a lot more attention around here last time than the design differences, were the different weather-system based tactical choices made once the race was under way.

That part should be just as good in the coming edition.

Give me back the intrigue of development/innovation along with good coverage of the action and I will likely be interested, again.

Yeah but nobody cares if enthusiastic sailors are interested because we do not make up a statistically significant portion of the population. In other words, your opinion of what you want to see is worth less than whatever the mushiest mush head wants to see.

Give me back the intrigue of development/innovation along with good coverage of the action and I will likely be interested, again.

Yeah but nobody cares if enthusiastic sailors are interested because we do not make up a statistically significant portion of the population. In other words, your opinion of what you want to see is worth less than whatever the mushiest mush head wants to see.

Well, if it were the case that the new model actually attracted new audience, you would have a point. But has it? Doesn't seem to be the case. Meanwhile, people like I, who have followed the race for years, can hardly find the VOR page anymore because of apathy.

Reality TV mush heads that don't care about competition, but more about how people "feel".

TV coverage of Ellen MacArthur emoting got millions of viewers for Kingfisher and is the only extensive sailing TV coverage of (fairly) recent years that attained mainstream British viewers by the million. You may sniff at it and it didn't float my boat either but as a commercial proposition, it got sponsor value.

MacArthur was, of course, also a hugely talented and competitive sailor but she was also skilled at the "TV personality" game.

>>Give me back the intrigue of development/innovation along with good coverage of the action

Both of those were available last time. Were you watching? I was, although the number of breakages took the shine off for me. Tough ODs don't seem such an awful idea to me.

Yeah, I followed it. Certainly was not up to the interest levels of previous versions.

I do not think "tough ODs" is the answer. I couldn't care less about the current Clipper race, or whatever it is called.

I think you do not have to go all the way to OD to have a class tough enough to avoid the breakage issues of the last time around. You could have minimum weight limits, maybe have it broken down by component, along with material requirements . . . . seems something of that nature could lead to having much more robust boats while still allowing for big differences in design theme.

The MOD class was supposed to be a "tough OD", too, and I don't see that being a wild success so far. Meanwhile, despite the economic issues, we are seeing new record chasers being developed.

Personally, I think a good deal of the intrigue and interest related to following sailing as a spectator is related to technology and design. OD is great as a participant, but I don't see where it does any favors to public interest.

I do not think "tough ODs" is the answer. I couldn't care less about the current Clipper race, or whatever it is called.

OK that was my phrase. But this doesn't look an awful lot like a Clipper boat.

Alt_SCA0314RT0898.jpg

From

http://www.sail-world.com/USA/Volvo-Ocean-Race:-Team-New-Zealand-within-10-of-budget-to-compete/121762

Emirates Team New Zealand CEO, Grant Dalton, says the team were within 10% of making the budget necessary to confirm the Volvo Ocean Race entry.

Interviewed on Radio Live, on Saturday afternoon, Dalton said they were 'very, very close.'

'Normally we would take that financial risk, and historically we have bridged the gap. But it is not going to be easy to fund the America's Cup either.'

ctd

From

http://www.sail-world.com/USA/Volvo-Ocean-Race:-Team-New-Zealand-within-10-of-budget-to-compete/121762

Emirates Team New Zealand CEO, Grant Dalton, says the team were within 10% of making the budget necessary to confirm the Volvo Ocean Race entry.

Interviewed on Radio Live, on Saturday afternoon, Dalton said they were 'very, very close.'

'Normally we would take that financial risk, and historically we have bridged the gap. But it is not going to be easy to fund the America's Cup either.'

ctd

Bloody shame

from the jump-link, interesting last sentence of the excerpt below

--

Worried Dalton says Team NZ in 'survival mode'

Last updated 05:00 04/05/2014

HERBIE JOHNSTONE

Team New Zealand boss Grant Dalton leaves for the United States on another fundraising drive as the America's Cup syndicate enters "survival mode".

The government's $5 million bridging funding is fast running out and Dalton needs to find more money.

He would like to see the protocol released before then and didn't feel there was anything sinister in the protracted process being carried out by cup holders Oracle and Australian challenger of Record Hamilton Island Yacht Club.

Dalton believed it was simply a matter of the two opponents working through the finer details.

Importantly, Team New Zealand has already received "the rule" for the boat design to be used.

He confirmed it would be a 62-footer and the speed wouldn't be compromised despite the length reduction of 10-feet from the foiling catamarans that were used last year when Team New Zealand lost the final to Oracle 9-8.

But there was a restriction to syndicates only building one boat.

That meant design development would need to be carried out in a two-boat programme involving smaller 45-foot catamarans where the gains could then be transferred to the bigger racing cats.

Surely restriction to one boat must be a protocol matter, not a class rules matter? So there must be some protocol elements agreed.

--

HERBIE JOHNSTONE

Team New Zealand boss Grant Dalton leaves for the United States on another fundraising drive as the America's Cup syndicate enters "survival mode".

The government's $5 million bridging funding is fast running out and Dalton needs to find more money.

He would like to see the protocol released before then and didn't feel there was anything sinister in the protracted process being carried out by cup holders Oracle and Australian challenger of Record Hamilton Island Yacht Club.

Dalton believed it was simply a matter of the two opponents working through the finer details.

Importantly, Team New Zealand has already received "the rule" for the boat design to be used.

He confirmed it would be a 62-footer and the speed wouldn't be compromised despite the length reduction of 10-feet from the foiling catamarans that were used last year when Team New Zealand lost the final to Oracle 9-8.

That meant design development would need to be carried out in a two-boat programme involving smaller 45-foot catamarans where the gains could then be transferred to the bigger racing cats.

No money...wow!

Hardly surprising. Who wants to support losers with a 13 year pedigree of choking.

Mind you some people just love the profile losers purvey. That sense of helping out and staying attached to mummy,s titties for some sense of security.

eTNZ fans are a bit like those woman that marry murderours. They feel they can change them for the better.... but it never works out.

Daltons trip to Europe netted what?

--

HERBIE JOHNSTONE

No money...wow!

Hardly surprising. Who wants to support losers with a 13 year pedigree of choking.

Mind you some people just love the profile losers purvey. That sense of helping out and staying attached to mummy,s titties for some sense of security.

eTNZ fans are a bit like those woman that marry murderours. They feel they can change them for the better.... but it never works out.

Daltons trip to Europe netted what?

Why don't you check your spelling before hitting the 'send' button?

Grant Dalton: What next for Team New Zealand?

Sunday, June 08, 2014

Team New Zealand boss Grant Dalton talks to Tony Veitch about the current situation with Team New Zealand, the new protocols for the 35th America's Cup, how a run at another campaign is looking, and what happens next. He also takes your calls.

Grant-Dalton-consoles-Dean-Barker-after-

http://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/auckland/listen-on-demand/audio/190362916-grant-dalton--what-next-for-team-new-zealand-#.U5RB1PyEdG4.twitter

One of the points that Dalton made is that the risk to Olympic hopefuls is because of the protocol stepping outside the International Federation .. this could lead to a war with AC that could result in all participants of the AC being banned from other sailing events such as the Olympics .

^ Has to be a big concern to several AC sailors across the other potential AC teams too, even including HIYC. Hopefully some agreement gets struck and published that will negate the worry.

Dalts,....there's no need to make any more excuses about how hard it is to win the AC. We all know you've been trying your best for the past 11years. Jimmy wants to see you back onboard. Please don't leave.

Nice! and personal

Notice: this is a world class sporting event not an event for children to make cheap personal attacks on other competitors. Grow up Coutts!

Dalts,....there's no need to make any more excuses about how hard it is to win the AC. We all know you've been trying your best for the past 11years. Jimmy wants to see you back onboard. Please don't leave.

Nice! and personal

Notice: this is a world class sporting event not an event for children to make cheap personal attacks on other competitors. Grow up Coutts!

Not my read on the comment at this point - thought it was more reality with a touch of sarcasm based on JS's comment rather than a personal attack.

Nice! and personal

Not my read on the comment at this point - thought it was more reality with a touch of sarcasm based on JS's comment rather than a personal attack.

I'm pretty sure there is zero reality in that statement, and a boat load of venom. Read the other posts on his facebook:

"See this link from Jimmy Spithill; He’s right. Anyone trying to claim smaller boats with less crew, less designers, less sails, less components and less development time on the water will cost the same or more than the last AC campaign is obviously wishing to pay themselves more”

RC not showing much class to go with his bank account.

Nice! and personal

I'm pretty sure there is zero reality in that statement, and a boat load of venom. Read the other posts on his facebook:

"See this link from Jimmy Spithill; He’s right. Anyone trying to claim smaller boats with less crew, less designers, less sails, less components and less development time on the water will cost the same or more than the last AC campaign is obviously wishing to pay themselves more”

The AC is starting to lose me as a fan (FWIW). If I want to see/hear/read s#it like that I'd watch World Wrestling. Sailing used to be "something different", and RC used to be "someone different" as well. Man, I had respect for that chap, emphasis on had.

Anyway, back to unpacking moving boxes...

551560_544744082212955_1725644386_n.jpg

Russell Coutts

16 hrs ·

Nice! and personal

"See this link from Jimmy Spithill; Hes right. Anyone trying to claim smaller boats with less crew, less designers, less sails, less components and less development time on the water will cost the same or more than the last AC campaign is obviously wishing to pay themselves more

The AC is starting to lose me as a fan (FWIW). If I want to see/hear/read s#it like that I'd watch World Wrestling. Sailing used to be "something different", and RC used to be "someone different" as well. Man, I had respect for that chap, emphasis on had.

typically someone of RC's stature would have a PR professional managing his "posts". This seems quite likely - although there is always a chance he might go rogue - but to be "on message" is a goal of a social media campaign.

I guess they feel the trash talk good for the cup?

RC's tweet struck me as conciliatory, even welcoming.

Again, JS was responding to a very pointed couple of questions from that Kiwi interviewer, who asked basically "but isn't it even more one-sided - and even more bloody expensive???"

Since there's clearly been a big effort to at least lower costs then JS responded as he did, probably suspecting that GD is who had wound the guy up.

No biggy.

Coutts... "Geoff, it is pretty much a box rule. The wings will be almost identical and the major parameters - weight, beam (power) and size are fixed. However, I'm not sure this favours New Zealand. I suspect sailors like Jimmy Spithill and Ben Ainslie would do just fine in a one design format !!!"

The guy can't help himself. And people wonder why GD reacts?

Pretty sure RC is right about BA...but JS? Not so much.

--

HERBIE JOHNSTONE

This will take some wind out of the conspirators sails

Coutts... "Geoff, it is pretty much a box rule. The wings will be almost identical and the major parameters - weight, beam (power) and size are fixed. However, I'm not sure this favours New Zealand. I suspect sailors like Jimmy Spithill and Ben Ainslie would do just fine in a one design format !!!"

The guy can't help himself. And people wonder why GD reacts?

https://www.facebook.com/russellcouttssailor?fref=nf

Pretty sure RC is right about BA...but JS? Not so much.

like days of yore - the armies could pick a single champion to win or lose. Put them on a flying A cat:

TNZ: Peter Burling

TNZ: Glenn Ashby

TNZ: Blair Tuke

Artemis: Nathan Outteridge

Artemis: Iain Percy

BA:BA

LR: Chris Draper

LR: Bora Gularini (is he now Italian?)

OR: Tom Slingsby

OR: Spitty

I guess Slingsby might hold his own, but Spitty be in a tough spot - methinks...

really? This is how it reads to me - but I have a bad habit of sarcasm:

Dalts,....there's no need to make any more excuses about how hard it is to win the AC (loser!). We all know you've been trying your best (which ain't good enough!) for the past 11years (fuckin forever!). Jimmy wants to see you back onboard (uhuh). Please don't leave (uhuh).

Seems to me that Coutts should be just a wee bit scared of Dalts. His team practically invented the flying 72 and came a hairs breadth from taking him out.

Or am I reading this missive wrong? It would seem that RC pretty much can't stand the guy.

Dalts,....there's no need to make any more excuses about how hard it is to win the AC (loser!). We all know you've been trying your best (which ain't good enough!) for the past 11years (fuckin forever!). Jimmy wants to see you back onboard (uhuh). Please don't leave (uhuh).

Seems to me that Coutts should be just a wee bit scared of Dalts. His team practically invented the flying 72 and came a hairs breadth from taking him out.

Or am I reading this missive wrong? It would seem that RC pretty much can't stand the guy.

I agree and would add, he's trying to keep it interesting to the masses with some gamesmanship.

551560_544744082212955_1725644386_n.jpg

Russell Coutts

16 hrs ·

Nice! and personal

WTF...something different!? Are you for real!

Hardly becoming behaviour from ...

Dalton

Conner

Blackaller

Blake

Berterelli

Jobson

Davis

Dickson

Cayard

Fay

Cud more...

The event has been tainted by bad behavior, scandal, rhetoric, lies, and bullshit for the past 50+ year.

Go read some history before making dumb posts like that

What a stupid post! Coutts has forgotten more about sailing and yacht racing and team management than Dalton ( who has only ever won a whitbread in a maverick ketch 80 foot long against 60 footers) will ever know.

Coutts worries about only none sailor and team right now. Ben Ainslie Is the new and biggest threat. Ben is the best sailor in the world and knows all Oracles inner workings!

Dalton will be shitting his pants! ETNZ are seeded third right now

What a stupid post! Coutts has forgotten more about sailing and yacht racing and team management than Dalton ( who has only ever won a whitbread in a maverick ketch 80 foot long against 60 footers) will ever know.

Coutts worries about only none sailor and team right now. Ben Ainslie Is the new and biggest threat. Ben is the best sailor in the world and knows all Oracles inner workings!

Just the way we like it. Bring it on.

AR, BAR, and LR will all be tough, as will the French, if they can pull it off. They should all be worried about eachother. Honestly, I have no idea which of those would be any easier than the others. HIYC is one team that will have a lot to prove, but they could be right there with them, as well.

" I'm sure that Prince William would not want to be beaten by his wife."

I would let his wife beat me B)

As far as RC and his childish bullshit goes, fuck him and spithill both, they won on the water, why pull this shit out? Its not even clever gamesmanship, its just bollocks. I am swinging to the side of "just dont give a fuck anymore"

Was interesting to hear him say that they proposed allowing the Challs to run two boats, under the same restrictions as OR, and would still propose and accept that change. The Challs (presumably at least HIYC among them) didn't want it.

^

Did he now (not bothering with the audio)? Fact is : a single boat, raced hard for ten months ..

What Jimmy said:

- SF failed to grease ACEA palms, as apparently the rest did. Wind apparently didn't overly influence the venue decision.

- Yes, Russell truly despises GD.

- The challengers desired just 1 boat each - apparently a second hull just too expensive to have laying around as a spare part.

Cue the violin . ( of course this is a herbie gladwell piece so take it for what it's worth )

Financially beleaguered America's Cup challenger, Emirates Team New Zealand has less than 19 days to find sufficient finance to stay alive.

The team was given a modest advance by the NZ Government's Trade and Enterprise division after not winning the 34th America's Cup. However the $5million advance runs out at the end of June. It has been used to pay team costs, and retain key team members while the twice winner of the America's Cup is restructured.

In an interview broadcast on Wednesday morning on Radio Sport, in Auckland, Team NZ CEO Grant Dalton said the team had 19 days of financial resources left before the team would be forced to disband, after being in existence for almost 30 years.

Dalton said the end, if it came would be very quick and that he expected key team members to be snapped up by other teams within hours of an announcement.

So. Did the challengers decline the offer of second boats, as JS asserts?

By challengers, are we saying HIYC, or are we saying HIYC in discussion with the other anticipated challenger clubs?

I'll be the first one to STFU about 2 boats vs 1 with proof. Fuck, I'll even apologise for having said the prot is stacked.

Bizarre...

GD is a whiner and out on his own etc etc (whines JS), then he goes on to admit that they changed the Protocol in response to the (obviously valid and more widely held) criticism!?

Play the ball not the man dude and if you've got so much time to waste go back to SF and deal with the shitpile you and your infallible team of experts left behind there.

Bizarre...

GD is a whiner and out on his own etc etc (whines JS), then JS goes on to admit that they changed the Protocol in response to the (obviously valid and more widely held) criticism!?

Mounting evidence that OTUSA want GD gone. Too close for comfort last time I guess.

By challengers, are we saying HIYC, or are we saying HIYC in discussion with the other anticipated challenger clubs?

I'll be the first one to STFU about 2 boats vs 1 with proof. Fuck, I'll even apologise for having said the prot is stacked.

First off cudos to you for offering to apologize if there is reason to do so. That is a rare quality here on SA I doubt if any of the others will be man enough.

Listen to his interview and I think you will be shocked as to how far off some of the rabid ones on here were with regards to the stacking of the protocol.

http://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/auckland/listen-on-demand/audio/277407116-jimmy-spithill-part-2--is-dalton-the-right-man-to-lead-

To pick a few highlights .

YES the challengers were offered a second boat and they turned it down . As a matter of fact the offer is still on the table and they STILL don't want to avail themselves of it. Apparently a second boat for the challengers is only important to SA .

Oracles second boat has to be a carbon copy of the first and it is only a training aid. Oracle must race their first boat.

Each team is only allowed two wings . As Oracle will need to use their second wing for their second boat they are actually risking more because if they damage either one they are out of backups.

Oracle can not sail the second boat until the playoffs start.

With these and other points now in play what will the whiners have to chat about now ?

First off cudos to you for offering to apologize if there is reason to do so. That is a rare quality here on SA I doubt if any of the others will be man enough.

Listen to his interview and I think you will be shocked as to how far off some of the rabid ones on here were with regards to the stacking of the protocol.

http://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/auckland/listen-on-demand/audio/277407116-jimmy-spithill-part-2--is-dalton-the-right-man-to-lead-

YES the challengers were offered a second boat and they turned it down . As a matter of fact the offer is still on the table and they STILL don't want to avail themselves of it. Apparently a second boat for the challengers is only important to SA .

Wrong. He said I think we'd even still be prepared to make that offer

Oracles second boat has to be a carbon copy of the first and it is only a training aid. Oracle must race their first boat.

This bit of self serving bullshit has been uttered by all and sundry, bit a quick read of the Protocol is enough to show it's a lie - will you apologize?

Each team is only allowed two wings . As Oracle will need to use their second wing for their second boat they are actually risking more because if they damage either one they are out of backups.

With these and other points now in play what will the whiners have to chat about now ?

Do you have any actual knowledge of the subject - or do you just cheer for those you think score points for good old TUScheAt?

^

Totally wrong: Oracle may sail boat 2 one month before the Qs begin, but together with boat 1 only when Qs are over. That's 5 and 3 months before the Playoffs, respectively.

Nothing new there. You disappoint me.

Nothing new there. You disappoint me.

Of course its not new it has been that way from the beginning.

It was just ignored by a select few.

Wrong. He said I think we'd even still be prepared to make that offer

>Oracles second boat has to be a carbon copy of the first and it is only a training aid. Oracle must race their first boat.

This bit of self serving bullshit has been uttered by all and sundry, bit a quick read of the Protocol is enough to show it's a lie - will you apologize?

Do you have any actual knowledge of the subject - or do you just cheer for those you think score points for good old TUScheAt?

Still clinging on till the end .

How predictable .

^

Totally wrong: Oracle may sail boat 2 one month before the Qs begin, but together with boat 1 only when Qs are over. That's 5 and 3 months before the Playoffs, respectively.

While that may be the case, the Challs could have elected to do the same yet chose not to.

Even GD is fine with it, he's been asked several times already.

It's just not the TWO AGAINST ONE issue that the some of first headlines out of NZ screamed about. And so now they are back tracking, even if the nav's of the world never will.

I even suggested back-when that it may not have been the Defender who pressed on the Challs running only one boat. Because really, wth should they care? That suggestion got flamed, by a bunch of hot-heads.

^

While that may be the case, the Challs could have elected to do the same yet chose not to.

It's just not the TWO AGAINST ONE issue that the some of first headlines out of NZ screamed about. And so now they are back tracking, even if the nav's of the world never will.

Do I give a shit? No. But don't come here with your WCM pals spouting lies and TUSA spin over and over again and expect not to be called on it.

"While it may be the case that what my mate said was total rubbish, I'll now change the subject and attack a different poster"

Classy..

^ Lol (yawn..)

The two-boat issue basically is not one to anybody that matters, apparently including the Challengers who have cared to comment on it.

The frothy mouthed about it are the really 'classy' ones, right up there with the frothy-mouthed Herbilists.

Do I give a shit? No. But don't come here with your WCM pals spouting lies and TUSA spin over and over again and expect not to be called on it.

"

I'd venture a guess that if grumpy had an issue with it you would definitely give a shit, or three.

Seems like you're having a bad hair day.

Kick back and have a glass of the sav blanc you guys make.

Just now listened again to that JS interview

He got drawn in to answering some things that made headlines (much as what happened to DB by that whoever-asshole) but really: JS is basically just attacking the constant negativity from out of NZ for it's pointless damage to everyone involved in the AC. It's worth a re-listen: http://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/auckland/listen-on-demand/audio/648680570-jimmy-spithill--america-s-cup-won-t-return-to-san-francisco

I happen to agree. GD does have to make a case to the public but he's been going about it the wrong way a lot of the time. He should be relishing in the AC instead whinging. Seems to me he's changing but his history until now is deep, that misguided attack against the Safety rules being basically unforgiveable and misguided on so many counts with devastating results to the event but to his own team too. It's like he runs on some combination of paranoia and deep anger; it's just not a good message. That is what JS is directly stepping up to taking him on for.

Just now listened again to that JS interview

He got drawn in to answering some things that made headlines (much as what happened to DB by that whoever-asshole) but really: JS is basically just attacking the constant negativity from out of NZ for it's pointless damage to everyone involved in the AC. It's worth a re-listen: http://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/auckland/listen-on-demand/audio/648680570-jimmy-spithill--america-s-cup-won-t-return-to-san-francisco

I happen to agree. GD does have to make a case to the public but he's been going about it the wrong way a lot of the time. He should be relishing in the AC instead whinging. Seems to me he's changing but his history until now is deep, that misguided attack against the Safety rules being basically unforgiveable and misguided on so many counts with devastating results to the event but to his own team too. It's like he runs on some combination of paranoia and deep anger; it's just not a good message. That is what JS is directly stepping up to taking him on for.

C'mon, Stinger. Time to let it go mate.

^ It had devastatingly damaging effects on the event, and was at the same time a stupid shot to ETNZ's own foot. No, I will not let him (or whoever it was that talked him into it) off the hook, ever.

Anyway, here's the 2nd part again of that JS interview again: http://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/auckland/listen-on-demand/audio/277407116-jimmy-spithill-part-2--is-dalton-the-right-man-to-lead-

He's pretty direct, on those pointed questions posed.

Actually it's a spot on interview - the name grumpy was by no means a gift.

Doesn't sound like he's cooperating as the others are when JS says if he has issues he needs to pick the phone up.

Their are ways to better handle issues than what grumpy did for three years with AC34, which was to trash the event. The charity dinner was a classic example - he's had this coming for a long time.

The irony :) is that grumpy is the one, and the only one who trash talked all the way thru AC34, from beginning up to race 1.

My take is the message from JS and RC's recent comments is "if this is the game you want to play, two can also play, and the gloves are now off. We're not putting up with your unprofessional attitude with AC35".

JS also made another good point - what a piss poor example to set for the youth involved in the event.

JS basically stuffed grumpy on all points, and hard.

Agreed, they are taking GD head on, it's a sign he will no longer go unchallenged.

GD is pretty honest about telling it like it is from his perspective and it's always gold that way. But if there is no adult supervision to freshen his perspective then maybe the counters are called for, even potentially useful ideas to him. He needs to realize that not everything is about him, or about nailing him, or whatever his prevailing paranoia currently is.

Williams was obviously well prepared and came at JS hard with all questions.

JS came back just as hard and shut him down on all questions.

No wonder why nav is having a bad hair day and TC is MIA :)